• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've never measured all of the Pokemon or anything, but intra-series, every character seems to be proportionally sized to others from their series.
The only Pokémon's size who isn't its real size is Charizard, but there's a lot of inconsistency with his size in general. Ivysaur might also be a little on the small side.

Btw, that Ridley is amazing, can't be said enough I guess.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Too big for Brawl, too big for Otakon. :p
Lololololololol.

Not sure I see what you mean about his leg pose. Are you wanting him all scrunched up like in Super Metroid and Fusion? Would be pretty impractical. INTERESTINGLY, it looks like Prime 3 was the only game where Ridley had DIGITIGRADE legs.

@Wariofan: Actually Charizard's size is pretty accurate. He measures up to the human characters pretty well considering he's only 5' 7". It's the other Pokemon that got UPSCALED. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle. All giants compared to what they are in their own series. All this means for Ridley is that he only needs to be bigger than Samus, and that would be in line with how Smash tends to size its characters.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
What I'm saying is I want more of this:

And less of this:

That splayed posture flies when he's a boss or maybe briefly during the first jump, but wouldn't work (and would look silly) when he's in a four-player fight. In addition, he should be knocked out easily similar to Mewtwo, which was justified by being a flying creature. Just balanced better... Most of his attacks would be large by virtue of his size, but focused on the specific limb, leaving most of his body unprotected.

D

Deleted member

Can't wait to see people use it as proof he's too big.

Which is why I hope Angelglory finishes every image soon with one image of the entire cast.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyways.... It's a cool picture but he really is too big in it.
He's a bit too big for his Super Metroid and appearance, but looks about right for his Zero Mission/Prime appearance. Too little for his Meta Ridley Prime 3 appearance though, where's he is enormous. Like many other Nintendo villains he varies a lot in size.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
No, it seems to be to-scale with Super Metroid, though the head is angled forward making him actually look smaller. Here's the proportional study that I used to make my costume for reference. It's clear to me that he was rotoscoped from this source, aside from the tiny wings and details drawn from the same game's concept art. He's even got the beard, extra finger, and little spikes on the back of his head. I think Sakurai holds Super Metroid to be the definitive design and scale, even if he was posed in a new way for the boss fight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
After some thought, I decided to withhold what I wanted to say.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I know that a lot of people here are posting up size comparisons but honestly I don't think showing his current size matters. It's not like Nintendo doesn't have a history of size shifting Bowser is a different size in almost every Mario game. A lot of characters in Smash Bros are clearly scaled up or down as well. So they can make Ridley fit. In Pokemon Pikachu is like roughly mid shin height so they've obviously scaled Pikachu and the other smaller Pokemon up. Bowser is usually much bigger than Mario in their game in Smash Bro he's only kinda bigger than Mario. So I guess what I'm getting at is that if they want to put Ridley in he'll be in it they'll make him smaller to make him fit.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If they make playable Ridley really big, say twice as big as Bowser, that will give us the best opportunity to troll the "too-big" people. :troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I know that a lot of people here are posting up size comparisons but honestly I don't think showing his current size matters. It's not like Nintendo doesn't have a history of size shifting Bowser is a different size in almost every Mario game. A lot of characters in Smash Bros are clearly scaled up or down as well. So they can make Ridley fit. In Pokemon Pikachu is like roughly mid shin height so they've obviously scaled Pikachu and the other smaller Pokemon up. Bowser is usually much bigger than Mario in their game in Smash Bro he's only kinda bigger than Mario. So I guess what I'm getting at is that if they want to put Ridley in he'll be in it they'll make him smaller to make him fit.
Yeah, the Ridley in Smash 4 will definitely be his smallest incarnation yet, but we're just having fun trying to determine actual numbers for his various heights.

Incidentally, last night I was trying to figure out a height for Ridley in Super Metroid. He does actually have a sprite where his legs are extended, from when he would pick up THE BABY. Assuming Samus is 5'9" he'd be over 14 feet tall. I suppose though, since Samus was 6'2" AT THE TIME, maybe 15 feet is more accurate for Ridley.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just one more month and we could be finally have Ridley playable in Smash Bros. Just ONE more month. This could very well be the last month we will ever have to wait to find out whether Ridley will make it as a playable character in Smash Bros. These last four weeks are going to be very long wait ironically.

I know I keep repeating this, but the long war is drawing to a close. Our fight since 2001 could be finally coming to a close. I know for myself I have been hoping for a playable Ridley since 1999. There never been a character I have wanted in Smash Bros. as much as I have wanted Ridley. Ironically, I have practically gotten every character I wanted in at this point EXCEPT Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just one more month and we could be finally have Ridley playable in Smash Bros. Just ONE more month. This could very well be the last month we will ever have to wait to find out whether Ridley will make it as a playable character in Smash Bros. These last four weeks are going to be very long wait ironically.

I know I keep repeating this, but the long war is drawing to a close. Our fight since 2001 could be finally coming to a close. I know for myself I have been hoping for a playable Ridley since 1999. There never been a character I have wanted in Smash Bros. as much as I have wanted Ridley. Ironically, I have practically gotten every character I wanted in at this point EXCEPT Ridley.
You and me both, except I've only been waiting since 2005 I think, where I really got into Metroid. I've gotten Meta Knight, Wario, Dedede, sort of Venusaur (Ivysaur is close enough,) but still no Ridley. Partaking in the community pre-Brawl was quite an experience for the sole reason of having to root for Ridley. When the boss images leaked I was incredibly dissapointed. I'll be surprised if they blow the Ridley surprise at E3, I always thought of him as an unlockable or at least someone to be revealed later like Dedede and Olimar, but still, the thought of Ridley appearing in a Smash Bros trailer as a newcomer sends chills down my spine. Not only am I beyond excited to get on the Smash-hype train again, but the chance of having Ridley in the game again is amazing.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
A Question if you will.

I hear alotta PeePz saying how powerfull Ridley is yh sure hes powerfull but he doesnt like really show his strength..i mean what im tryna get as is how would you rate Ridley in power compared to Bowser & Ganondorf and even Mewtwo or K.Rool or even DDD?

imo it would go like this i think...

Talking about Canon related not smash

1.Ganondorf
2.Mewtwo
3.Bowser
4.Ridley
5.K.Rool
6.DDD

Maybe K.Rool above Bowser?

Mewtwo above Ganondorf? Is that stupid?

Dunno confused as hell..were does Ridley stack up...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley would probably be equal to Bowser, maybe a little ahead considering he needs to be shot down by plasma and missiles. I don't think Ridley is as strong as Ganondorf, and he probably can't compete with psychic powers, which automatically puts him behind Mewtwo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A Question if you will.

I hear alotta PeePz saying how powerfull Ridley is yh sure hes powerfull but he doesnt like really show his strength..i mean what im tryna get as is how would you rate Ridley in power compared to Bowser & Ganondorf and even Mewtwo or K.Rool or even DDD?

imo it would go like this i think...

Talking about Canon related not smash

1.Ganondorf
2.Mewtwo
3.Bowser
4.Ridley
5.K.Rool
6.DDD

Maybe K.Rool above Bowser?

Mewtwo above Ganondorf? Is that stupid?

Dunno confused as hell..were does Ridley stack up...
I think Bowser and Ridley are tied really. While Bowser is more bulky and has magic powers, Ridley has cunning, flight and that long tail of his (which is incredibly useful in a fight, imagine hitting someone from far away). They kinda even out in my eyes.

Everything else seems accurate. Though I would add Wario underneath Dedede and Wolf underneath Wario.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Everything else seems accurate. Though I would add Wario underneath Dedede and Wolf underneath Wario.
If we're talking Wario's Wario Land incarnation he's probably stronger than DDD, given that DDD is more or less portrayed as a goofball these days. If he had his motor-hammer and mask he'd probably be stronger than Wario though, but not on a regular basis.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Are we talking game Mewtwo or anime Mewtwo?

Cause game Mewtwo is still pretty much just a barbarian compared to the anime one

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Honestly? Could be smaller when it comes to those Ridley size comparisons. Really, I think he should have been in Brawl in the first place and he should just finally be in this one. I've wanted him ever since Smash 64 among other characters and I've gotten my crazy wishes with others.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
IMO:
1. Ganondorf/Mewtwo
2. Ridley
3. Bowser
4. K.Rool/Dedede

Cause game Mewtwo is still pretty much just a barbarian compared to the anime one
Manga Mewtwo wins in the end though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Isn't Dedede the strongest character in Brawl? Certainly the strongest forward smash.

I imagine Ridley as the weakest of the strong characters while having the edge in speed/mobility, recovery, and reach.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Wario is stronger than K. Rool or Dedede.
You know this thing?

Yeah, he can pick it up and chuck it with ease. (Or spin it around and toss it, or piledrive it into the ground, etc.)

It terms of raw strength, Wario is near the top.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Nope, that distinction belongs to Bowser. 48% fully charged.
Oh- I was thinking in terms of knockback, with Dedede's forward smash KOing around 60%. I guess "power" is kind of an ambiguous term in Smash Bros., but I do tend to think knockback, not damage output.

Wario was kind of disappointingly weak in Brawl. He seemed a lot more representative of Wario Ware than Wario Land, and I'm definitely more used to using him to knock pirate goombas off the screen.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think in terms of knockback Ike has the strongest forward smash, being able to KO Jiggly with a fully charged forward smash at 0% on the edge of Final Destination.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think in terms of knockback Ike has the strongest forward smash, being able to KO Jiggly with a fully charged forward smash at 0% on the edge of Final Destination.
According to the smash wikia, Dedede's smash has the 2nd highest base knockback and the 2nd highest knockback based on percentage, leading to it being overall the number 1 smash in terms of knockback.

In any case, I do still think Ridley would have the reach and movement edge over the other strong characters, so he'd have to be balanced to have lower "strength", probably in both knockback and damage.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think when sweetspotted, King DeDeDe's F Smash is the strongest.

As for power rankings of villians:

1) Mewtwo / Ganondorf
2) Bowser
3) Ridley
4) King K.Rool
5) Wario
6) King DeDeDe
7) Wolf

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
According to the smash wikia, Dedede's smash has the 2nd highest base knockback and the 2nd highest knockback based on percentage, leading to it being overall the number 1 smash in terms of knockback.

In any case, I do still think Ridley would have the reach and movement edge over the other strong characters, so he'd have to be balanced to have lower "strength", probably in both knockback and damage.
hopefully not sonic level low.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget, he's balanced by being a big target. He'll also probably be more aerially focused and lighter than he looks. (For the same reasons Mewtwo was: "Since Mewtwo spends much of its time floating, it flies far when struck.") This held true for all of the gliders except Charizard last game, so we'll have to see. Ridley has to be an aerial character, though. There's no way around designing him that way.

Top Bottom