• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I was just going to go with Eggley.

Also I seem to remember someone (maybe it was me?) making a post on how Ridley could be mistaken as a Pokemon and get captured by the Pokemon Trainer. Would be silly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Suddenly:

And

Both team up on Ridley and Charizard.

Wat do?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Suddenly:

Samus and Blastoise

Wat do?
Kraid then teams up with Venasaur. After a bloody battle, Dark Samus and Mewtwo show up because of reasons. Throw in Blaziken in there somewhere too, cause why not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of Metroid and Pokémon, some Metroid enemies could totally pass of as Pokémon.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Suddenly:

And

Wat do?
The Charizard beats the Blastoise same way Ash's zard beat Gary's 'toise in the anime, while Ridley does what he does best in a surprise attack, dragging Samus head-first across a wall or simply triggers her PTSD again. GG

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I just need to share my silliness , at first I couldn't tell where his back and his front were , and now I'll let everybody else figure out by themselves...
... huh. Yeah. Ridley's super flexible, apparently... after you pointed that out, I felt compelled to crack my back.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's kind of worse than Rob Leifeld positions

It takes a talent I don't want to know about to do that

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
... huh. Yeah. Ridley's super flexible, apparently... after you pointed that out, I felt compelled to crack my back.

It's true that he's flexible , but my point was that I thought his back was the front and that something seemed out of place because of it . That's why I said "share my silliness"

Unless your comment was trying to dodge that , wich I didn't catch.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's true that he's flexible , but my point was that I thought his back was the front and that something seemed out of place because of it . That's why I said "share my silliness"

Unless your comment was trying to dodge that , wich I didn't catch.
... Ahhhhhhhh. I just noticed that the picture was confusing, didn't notice... Um.
Yeahhh...

Well, I guess that explains why Ridley's taken off his shell.

D

Deleted member

Ridley's not as flexible as Mewtwo. Have you seen his down throw? :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just five more weeks until our battle could finally end. Just five more weeks. The long fight may just finally come to a close.

I really can't think of any other characters with such a large fanbase that has fought for as long as the Ridley fanbase has.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just five more weeks until our battle could finally end. Just five more weeks. The long fight may just finally come to a close.

I really can't think of any other characters with such a large fanbase that has fought for as long as the Ridley fanbase has.
And if it does end, it will go down as the greatest fight of all time.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake

It is a pretty exciting time, and i really hope it delivers. But at this point seeing anything of this game will be great, and i sure hope they show enough to end some debates rather than very little which will spark even more if we are left in the dark about many things.

KidBuuEatsYou

Smash Rookie
Ridley is definantly the most wanted Smash character. I'd be disappointed if he isn't in it. Very good OP, by the way.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Been some 2 years or something since I last was at this forum, so I've come to show my support for my most wanted newcomer for Brawl, and now SSB4. Ridley's been everything in Smash Bros except an Assist Trophy and Character by now: He's been in a stage (64), he's been a trophy thrice, he's been in the intro, he's been a boss twice in one game. Ridley is the most reoccuring non-original character in the Smash Bros series that isn't playable (and even then he has more appearances than Master Hand if you count both boss battles as seperate appearances,) and seeing that the Assist Trophy idea would be nothing but a kick in the balls to the fanbase, and Sakurai would know that, let's hope his new role in SSB4 will finally be as a playable character. I'm ready for another Smash Bros hype-train for Ridley (though I was at Brawl Central back then, and not here,) let the fun start again in a month.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
My only problem with Ridley is balance. His body type and size would make him have huge hitboxes/hurtboxes and be prone to combos and chaingrabs. To balance this, they'd have to make absurdly strong, but that might lead to game-breaking power if not done carefully, because he's large and will likely to be decently fast, be solid in the air and have crazy melee range/power.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
My only problem with Ridley is balance. His body type and size would make him have huge hitboxes/hurtboxes and be prone to combos and chaingrabs. To balance this, they'd have to make absurdly strong, but that might lead to game-breaking power if not done carefully, because he's large and will likely to be decently fast, be solid in the air and have crazy melee range/power.
You mean the exact same problems that plague Bowser that dint get counter balanced?Maybe he gets the Dedede treatment, but if he does make it I'm betting he will not be some over powered force to be reckoned with like Snake or Meta.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You mean the exact same problems that plague Bowser that dint get counter balanced?Maybe he gets the Dedede treatment, but if he does make it I'm betting he will not be some over powered force to be reckoned with like Snake or Meta.
Bowser is actually underpowered. They didn't balance his attributes enough for his lag and his huge hitboxes and he ends up getting messed up by the other characters. Ridley will have even tougher hitboxes to deal with because of his tail, wings and long limbs. The only way he'll be balanced is if he's given powerful attributes to balance this out. This MAY lead to a Meta/Snake, if not handled carefully, but they may do it right (i.e. Dedede, as you said.)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Bowser is actually underpowered. They didn't balance his attributes enough for his lag and his huge hitboxes and he ends up getting messed up by the other characters. Ridley will have even tougher hitboxes to deal with because of his tail, wings and long limbs. The only way he'll be balanced is if he's given powerful attributes to balance this out. This MAY lead to a Meta/Snake, if not handled carefully, but they may do it right (i.e. Dedede, as you said.)
or just not include wings and tail in the hitbox....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Been some 2 years or something since I last was at this forum, so I've come to show my support for my most wanted newcomer for Brawl, and now SSB4. Ridley's been everything in Smash Bros except an Assist Trophy and Character by now: He's been in a stage (64), he's been a trophy thrice, he's been in the intro, he's been a boss twice in one game. Ridley is the most reoccuring non-original character in the Smash Bros series that isn't playable (and even then he has more appearances than Master Hand if you count both boss battles as seperate appearances,) and seeing that the Assist Trophy idea would be nothing but a kick in the balls to the fanbase, and Sakurai would know that, let's hope his new role in SSB4 will finally be as a playable character. I'm ready for another Smash Bros hype-train for Ridley (though I was at Brawl Central back then, and not here,) let the fun start again in a month.
Since you mentioned assist trophies, Ridley did have some AT data in Brawl, showing that Sakurai was at some point considering to make him just that...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Since you mentioned assist trophies, Ridley did have some AT data in Brawl, showing that Sakurai was at some point considering to make him just that...
Yeah, I know, but its easy to see why it was scrapped when assist trophies aren't major characters from other playable characters' series usually (the exception being the two 3rd party ATs), and the Metroid works well as an AT. If Bowser wasn't a playable character it would have been silly to make him an AT instead of a boss, aye? Though that example might be stretching it.

The wings could just go out to the sides like Charizard's does, and the tail could also be positioned so it doesn't become a problem, again, like Charizard's does. Or just do as someone above suggested, ignore hitbox for the wings and tail. As long as they can give him a reasonable pose it shouldn't be a problem.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another suggestion is to have Ridley's wings hug his body when not in use.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
or just not include wings and tail in the hitbox....
That could have some detection problems. It could confuse people into thinking a move will strike Ridley when it actually won't. Having misleading visual cues could lead to imbalance involving knowing when to try to strike Ridley. Anyone whose fought an Elite in Halo will understand this problem.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not all of Mewtwo's tail was HITTABLE. Charizard's wings either. Would still probably take some clever positioning, but I don't think it would be a major problem.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Most of the tail and wings don't need hit boxes. Just make them flutter a little if hit. And if you want a few damage percentages added on, that is fine.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am surprised that there is not more talk and hype in this topic considering we are only a month away from Ridley having a very good chance at finally being confirmed for playable status. In general, there does not seem to be a flood of new posters yet.

I am really anxious to see how Ridley turns out in Smash 4.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There should only be enthusiasm ONLY IF Ridley is confirmed. Can't really harbor on anything until it happens, so keeping low would be a good idea. Not to mentioned we have discussed everything that needs to be addressed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
One month is still quite a bit of time, I'd say. The REAL flood of new posters will probably start in the last week of this month. Though there are a few new posters already.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
That is badass.
Thats awesome
I'd just grab that and run out the door
But Ridley's too big for you to carry, let alone out the door. :troll:
Put that on my wall, show it off saying "Yeah, that is mine"
Shut up and take my money!
Thanks, guys! I'm the artist who designed and painted him as well as the guy to the right in that shot. The other two people nearby were in the process of kicking Ridley out because apparently the crowd around it was too large and becoming some kind of hazard somehow. Too big for Brawl, too big for Otakon. :p

Got some better shots of him here, including his Nintendo Power article.
Regarding Ridley as a character, I've always been opposed to resizing him. I've never measured all of the Pokemon or anything, but intra-series, every character seems to be proportionally sized to others from their series. It would be really weird to shrink him after he's already been on the same playing field as the other characters. I'm more in favor of posturing him smaller and divorcing his wings and tail from the body as attachable parts. Could you ever even attack his tail in the games? The wings are mostly far away from the playing plane, either way.

The leg pose he had in Brawl was unlike any of his usual Metroid depictions, and actually only really resembles his jumping sprite from the NES game. I'd also like to recommend that the brief Melee animation not be tossed around as something that Sakurai might reference. I don't see him checking a little clip from his own work that isn't related to gameplay when developing the character if he has the Brawl files all prepped to work with.

Top Bottom