• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Man, this guy is crazier than I remembered. So, apparently ridley can't be shrunken down, but he can be sized up.(Ridley being Giga bowser size would probably be his biggest incarnation.) And apparently he thinks we want him to be 4 feet tall....

Why does anyone take this guy seriously?(I couldn't even watch the full video, I had to skip to the part where he talks about Ridley because he was annoying me to death.) Still there's much worse detractors I've seen on youtube....*cough*Nin10doUltra*cough*

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Why does everyone think we will know Ridley's fate in 5 days? Pyrosphere isn't even on the 3DS version. We'll know when the Wii U version comes out.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone think we will know Ridley's fate in 5 days? Pyrosphere isn't even on the 3DS version. We'll know when the Wii U version comes out.
Because if hes not playable on the 3ds version we can safely assume he's a boss on pyrosphere

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So,

We've had the best competitors represent and be defined by their main character.

From Ken, the Red Marth.
AMSA, the Red Yoshi.
HungryBox, the jigglypuff.
Wizzy, the Sonic.
etc.

Someday, a person will rise up and be defined by being the best Ridley player.

Is it you?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I don't think that would change weather he is in or not

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking for a while they might continue to build hype for the wii u smash and keep interest in it by revealing future dlc content or something like that

Narffy

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking they might reveal a whole new mode exclusive for the Wii U. Like Smash Run for the 3DS.

But, that's kinda obvious and off topic. >_>

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Just gonna weigh in on him being officially deconfirmed this week... I doubt he will be just because pyrosphere is a wii u stage and they'll prob focus on 3ds stuff this next week.
It all depends on the padlock. If that thing is still locked, even after a month a play from everyone, it could mean one thing. This isn't likely, but still entirely possible, the idea of cross compatibility in order to port certain characters found on the WiiU first, that you will have to transfer to the 3ds to complete the roster on both. Remember, Sakurai said the roster would be the same between both versions. We all just assumed that meant the 3ds version would reveal them all.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I've been thinking for a while they might continue to build hype for the wii u smash and keep interest in it by revealing future dlc content or something like that
That's what I'm talking about. Nintendo needs ammo to hype the other version. Putting all the eggs in one basket doesn't seem like a good strategy. That's why I believe there at least 4 more playable chars hidden until the Wii U release. 3DS version has to wait for those as DLC.

If not, people will lose interest for the Wii U version very quickly and only buy 1 version. Ninty's goal is for us to buy both versions and both has to succeed. If not, there won't be 2 versions for Smash.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
He better reveal stage builder for WiiU version. Heck, I'd take that and black/white Samus over Ridley.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Ridley will get deconfirmed because he is just TOO BIG. He would not fit on the 3DS systems. Nintendo would need to create a 3DS XXXL just for him to dashdance.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
That's what I'm talking about. Nintendo needs ammo to hype the other version. Putting all the eggs in one basket doesn't seem like a good strategy. That's why I believe there at least 4 more playable chars hidden until the Wii U release. 3DS version has to wait for those as DLC.

If not, people will lose interest for the Wii U version very quickly and only buy 1 version. Ninty's goal is for us to buy both versions and both has to succeed. If not, there won't be 2 versions for Smash.
I dunno about day 1 DLC for free, I think they'll want us to pay lol. And it could be a while. But I'm sure dlc will happen is just a matter of how soon will they talk about it

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley will get deconfirmed because he is just TOO BIG. He would not fit on the 3DS systems. Nintendo would need to create a 3DS XXXL just for him to dashdance.
I actually interpret this as evidence in favor of Ridley. Apparently, it is quite difficult to see the character models on the small screen. CLEARLY, Sakurai would include someone that we can actually see without resorting to the outline feature.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
I hear the "Wii U release DLC" thing a lot, but the general consensus is that most people are holding out to buy the Wii U version only, anyway. It's kind of obvious that the 3DS version is the less competitively viable and "inferior" version, so I feel like even without Day 1 Wii U DLC that the Wii U copy will sell fine.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
N2A571_0DCB888D9ADFC_000.gif

Roidley: "BIG BRO!"

Ridley: "What do you want NOW?!"

Roidley: "I got you a present!"

Ridley: "...A present? Why in hell would you even do that?"

Roidley: "Because today is your birthday!"

Ridley: "My birthday was WEEKS AGO, you idiot!. And it wasn't a pleasant one if you ask me...specially beucase you were around...but WHATEVER. What is this present of yours?"

Roidley: "I can't tell you that, silly! just open it!"

*box shakes violently*

Ridley: "...What the...?! it moved on its own! WHERE DID YOU FOUND THIS PRESENT?!"

Roidley: "Um...I found it rolling around, it was so pretty! it can talk and it even knows your name!"

Samus (inside the box): "RIDLEY! YOU MOTHERF@#%ING PIECE OF S@#$! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU ONCE AND FOR ALL THIS TIME! I SWEAR!"

Ridley: "...You know what....on a second thought...I'm not going to open it now...you should save it for christmas."

Roidley: "Aw...why?"

Ridley: "To make it starve to dea- um...TO MAKE IT MORE SPECIAL! YES!"

Roidley: "Oooooh....OK! Anything for Big Bro! Time to hide it somewhere!"

Ridley(thinking): "Well, it seems that his stupidity was useful for ONCE..."

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I hear the "Wii U release DLC" thing a lot, but the general consensus is that most people are holding out to buy the Wii U version only, anyway. It's kind of obvious that the 3DS version is the less competitively viable and "inferior" version, so I feel like even without Day 1 Wii U DLC that the Wii U copy will sell fine.
DLC not for Wii U, but the 3DS.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
For competitive players, sure.

But the 3DS still has a potential customer base eight times larger than the Wii U customer base. The 3DS is going to be the main platform for the vast majority of players. Consoles are being replaced more and more by handhelds in Japan (and I can totally understand why, I play my 3DS way more than all my consoles combined).

There will need to be something to feed the Wii U hype, because it's not going to sell as much simply because it's on a console without near the customer base.

By the same token, this means that Nintendo would be absolutely IDIOTIC to make DLC characters for the Wii U release, because it would only upset the majority of their customers, who are playing on the 3DS.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Sakurai will tease the next character trailer as "The BIGGEST reveal in Smash history"...

only for it to be Duck Hunt Dog

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
No, it's more like the Wii U version will get extra characters, like Ridley, exclusive at launch, while the 3DS version will require these few characters to be downloaded

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's thought that, because both versions are on a deadline, the roster won't be finished by the time the 3DS version releases.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
At this point it would not surprise me if Ridley's fate was revealed in the 2nd to last PotD before the 3DS version launches (with the last day being a generic "Hey guys its out in japan now... here is the press start screen and the opening cutscene").

Whether he is playable or boss it will be one of the biggest trolls in gaming history.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
For competitive players, sure.

But the 3DS still has a potential customer base eight times larger than the Wii U customer base. The 3DS is going to be the main platform for the vast majority of players. Consoles are being replaced more and more by handhelds in Japan (and I can totally understand why, I play my 3DS way more than all my consoles combined).

There will need to be something to feed the Wii U hype, because it's not going to sell as much simply because it's on a console without near the customer base.

By the same token, this means that Nintendo would be absolutely IDIOTIC to make DLC characters for the Wii U release, because it would only upset the majority of their customers, who are playing on the 3DS.
I agree I don't think they'll do day one wii u dlc because 3ds customers would just be like so you held a character back from us?

and otoh nintendo is depending on smash wii u to help drive sales of the system, so I'm sure they'll be looking for ways to promote it

Morbi

Scavenger
At this point it would not surprise me if Ridley's fate was revealed in the 2nd to last PotD before the 3DS version launches (with the last day being a generic "Hey guys its out in japan now... here is the press start screen and the opening cutscene").

Whether he is playable or boss it will be one of the biggest trolls in gaming history.
If he was revealed in a PoTD, his fate would more likely than not be that of a boss character as newcomers are not revealed through the PoTD. :troll:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I agree I don't think they'll do day one wii u dlc because 3ds customers would just be like so you held a character back from us?
Exactly this. Nintendo needs to build customer support, not alienate their 3DS fanbase.

and otoh nintendo is depending on smash wii u to help drive sales of the system, so I'm sure they'll be looking for ways to promote it
Have you SEEN the Wii U screenshots? The game looks frelling GORGEOUS. Far better than any other title I've seen for any other "next gen" system. What more hype is needed?

But you all are forgetting that there are still ALL of the Wii U special game modes. Everyone was iffy on Smash Run, but after the demo and the months of PotD about it, everyone loves it. The Wii U is going to get something just as good, if not better. Those new modes will be most of the hype.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
No, it's more like the Wii U version will get extra characters, like Ridley, exclusive at launch, while the 3DS version will require these few characters to be downloaded
The Wii U/3DS will not have enough storage capacity for Ridley. You would need a 3TB external hardrive.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Yes, that's my point. Remember that the Wii U sales hasn't been great and people called the console as a failing console. What can be done to get people to buy a Wii U? Super Smash Bros.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Exactly this. Nintendo needs to build customer support, not alienate their 3DS fanbase.

Have you SEEN the Wii U screenshots? The game looks frelling GORGEOUS. Far better than any other title I've seen for any other "next gen" system. What more hype is needed?

But you all are forgetting that there are still ALL of the Wii U special game modes. Everyone was iffy on Smash Run, but after the demo and the months of PotD about it, everyone loves it. The Wii U is going to get something just as good, if not better. Those new modes will be most of the hype.
I actually think Mario Kart 8 (and some ps4 games) are better looking. game modes and graphics are nice but they're not exactly the sort of hype driving force new characters are.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Yes, that's my point. Remember that the Wii U sales hasn't been great and people called the console as a failing console. What can be done to get people to buy a Wii U? Super Smash Bros.
The Wii U was destined to "fail" if people compare it to the insane success of the Wii. Ninetndo tapped into an emerging casual market for games which has long since migrated over to tablets and other smart devices.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
"Worst Business Decision of the Year" Award is available whenever Nintendo wants to claim it.

You do NOT alienate customers of one product to promote another product. That is STUPID. Hiding characters or making them be downloaded would piss off EVERYONE who bought the 3DS game. To the point that it might actually backfire and HURT the Wii U's sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom