• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I've been telling everyone. Ridley is being saved as a surprise to hype the Wii U version. Don't expect any Ridley POTD until close to the release of the Wii U version.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
That's going to be the most fun part of his reveal. I can't wait for all the "I told you so".
I think it'd be best if such behavior was avoided.
I know I will be trying my hardest to avoid coming across as show-boating... no matter how "deserved" it may be. I prefer to be the bigger person, personally.

But I'll gladly watch everyone admit that they were wrong on their own. That's a different story. :awesome:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'm gonna list my honest-100%-no bullcrap opinions on Ridley, good, bad, and ugly.
-I think Ridley will be one of the 5 remaining characters
-I would put Ridley at about 80% of being playable
-I think this game is Ridley's last chance, if Ridley's not playable, Ridley will probably never be playable until Sakurai steps down from the series
-I'm more concerned about Ridley being too floaty rather than being too slow
-Ridley being a boss wouldn't surprise me that much, but I'd still be pretty disappointed
-Part of me wants Ridley to be in just to see the internet explode
-Roidley's design never bothered me
-I wouldn't mind Meta Ridley as a final smash, I always thought transformation final smashes were easily the best ones
-I don't think DLC is an option for Ridley, either he's in the game's initial roster or he's a boss
-Ridley passed Mewtwo as my most wanted unannounced newcomer
-I joined Smashboards just to post in this thread

not because he not hin that mean he don't have any other chance in other smash game or cant be a dlc LOL he can still be dlc even if he a boss since is sakurai that making the game not you,we don't know what is in sakurai mind

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
But I'll gladly watch everyone admit that they were wrong on their own. That's a different story. :awesome:
You probably won't be able to though. They'll be like "Oh yeah I knew he was going to be in the whole time even though I made multiple posts in the ridley thread saying he is a stage boss" :p

Narffy

Smash Rookie
Who said lurkers can't join the emotional train thing?

I started stalking this thread over a week ago....or more, idk, because I REALLY wanted Rids in. And, after quietly watching you all like a creeper, I can say that you're all awesome, interesting, and talented individuals!....That's about it.......Back to lurking.

Here's to the lovable, purple dragon!

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
While everyone is saying their sentiments, I'll just add my two cents.

Ridley is a character I have little to no knowledge of other than hearing about him in from people who played Metroid games, him as a boss in SSBB, and seeing him for the first time when I played SSBM. I never really cared for the guy but I never saw him uninteresting as a character. Because come on, he's a dragon, a space dragon. And coming to this thread, I learned he is a space dragon who not only is the main reason Samus became the bounty hunter we all know her to be, but has a back story with similar events happening to Ridley himself and really is a very interesting character who I now want to know more about. But the absolute main reason I decided to join the Ridley thread and become a supporter, is how you guys have been treated for the past 13 years. I never really mind who got into Smash Bros to this point (although I still have mixed feelings about DHD, I know I'll end up liking his inclusion), so when I heard about people wanting Ridley in Smash 4, I didn't even mind it. After all, I like to see interesting characters added to the roster, especially ones I knew nothing about. :4pit: But after hearing so much negativity of his inclusion with the mostly subjective reasons I ever heard of (Too Big), I needed to know more from people who supported Ridley, and that's how I got here.

Coming here is one of the best things I ever been apart of. The people here are people I would love to meet in person (especially the artists here) because of the positive attitude and overall niceness I get from you guys, I really feel welcomed here. ^^ After all you guys been going through (especially the one's who been waiting for Ridley since Melee and even from the very beginning of Smash Bros history), I really want to see Ridley make it in. Not just for myself, not just to end the war between Ridley supporters and detractors, but for you guys, who show how many people shows so much love for their character and toward the community who welcomes their character getting into Smash 4.

So to end this off, I guess all I'll say is this. Don't Falter Space Pirates, keep on believing. I and many others, are supporting Ridley to make his way into Smash Bros 4. :)

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
Man, imagine what this thread will be like if ridley is confirmed , or imagine the internet when ridley AND k rool are confirmed. Wishfull thinking. Havn't seen much new info lately on him so i'm really left with thoughts >.<

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I wonder who would win in a death battle: charizard or ridley?
Ridley - he is superiour in every way (attack, defense, mobility, etc). His skin doesn't allows PLASMA BEAM to go through it (it still damages him, but doesn't just goes through him and when he makes his skin harder, it reflects it) and he can survive getting fully charged plasma beam shot into his throat, his tail is nearly invincible and he can fly fast enough to reach Tallon IV in few minutes. His attacks also deal high damage to Samus and in Other M, nearly every attack takes away at least 1 energy tank. And we all know how resistant Samus' suit is. He is also intelligent.

How about we talk about Ridley's wingspan instead? How big do we think it's gonna be?
BIG. And only cartoonish characters like pokemons and Mario have parts of their bodies getting bigger for few frames in certain animations (Charizard's jumping animation, Diddy's side A, Mario's aerial forward A, etc), so, they will always be big. Doesn't means they couldn't be folded of course.
Oh ****, he also unlocked Meta Ridley!
Looks more like some kind of a transformer that has Ridley as alt mode.
My super elusive friend in japan just sent me this leaked image confirming Ridley.
I saw him with lion head, but crocodile? Wow, why that wasn't instead of lion alt?

Seriously? Meta Knight on Pyrosphere = tease?
STRAWGRASPING

STRAWGRASPING EVERYWHERE
Yeah, we've seen it. A lot of us think that's just Ridley's tail and feet clumped together to look like Pikachu.
I still think that's Pikachu in there, the tail just matches up too well.
It is Ridley's tail shadow on an uneven surface and before and after that bump, it is straight.
For reference, he does fight on the ground in Metroid Prime 1 and 3.

(My apologies for the poor picture quality of the second one)
You forgot Other M. It is a lot better as a ground fight than both of these - he actually uses fast melee attacks that could be used for his moveset because even though they are fast and powerful, they have either start up or end lag, so, they are balanced enough.

Seems about right.
"Zebesian" kind of space pirates lack tongue. *completly misses the point/joke*
Dyna Blade was probably a boss from the never released kirby game other stuff from that game were found on disc as well
they probably just reused stuff that was meant unused
She was. It uses fire, wings, etc, during her boss battle and was in at least 1 game where you also could play as Meta Knigh and fight Galacta Knight as him.
I meant that all the characters in Smash are in a controlled environment and i'm not sure that Ridley would be good in the Smash world because of everyone in Smash getting balanced outside of they're respective game worlds,
I just think the balancing would be too heavy on him.
Don't worry about that or size or just anything. Its Sakurai, remember? Same guy who turned a racer guy (who DID beat gods in a race) into a memetic bada$$ that can falcon punch you out of and into existance. Same guy who turned a goddess and incarnation of a very poweful demon with a triforce of power into something not OP while turning a pretty bada$$, but not all-powerful character into God-Tier character. Same guy who made Little Mac a bit more interesting and not a waste of time. Same guy who resized Bowser and Ganondorf (or at least Ganondorf) from 2x bigger than human (~1.7x in case of Ganondorf) into characters barely taller than Samus. Same guy who added Mega Man and Sonic because fans wanted that. If you doubt that they can't turn Ridley into playable character when SSBC developers, authors of SSBB Ridley PSA hack (i still hate model they used) and i (for different kind of game, i know, but that doesn't really matters) did, then you are saying that this guy is incompetent. He also is working with Namco this time, same guys who made True Ogre, a giant character, not overpowered.
Interested to see where this all goes. Ridly's chances seem to be subtly, yet not insignificantly, improving every day.

Who's going to play Ridley as soon as they unlock him? I'll be keen to give him a go as soon as I can, see what exactly he's like!
I will. I think he may be used most of the time, like 90% of matches.
I think about six secret characters is Ice Climbers, Lucas, Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Impa.
Ice Climbers and Lucas are cut according to the leak that also said that Shulk has 5 modes and that every character has at least 8 alt colors.
could we PLEASE get a concensus of you mods? Everytime one posts here regarding leaks we get different information. "Leak talk shouldn't take too much space compared to Ridley stuff, Leak talk is only allowed if it influences Ridleys chances (which is why we even brought your post up), no Leak Talk at all allowed", decide on a single stance please ._. Don't want my account infracted for something unclear, and I'm sure the other Space Pirates also don't.
I think only leaks that are confirmed to be true (as in 100% true, no Gematsu true) are allowed and maybe those that are focused ONLY on Ridley. Its better to not discuss ANY leaks - we have not enough space left anyway.
Hey Guys this is Ridley Fan's Shirt!!
View attachment 24364
Fake. Images on the T-shirt are completly flat and not distorted or anything like that since T-Shirt isn't a square or something that is always completly flat. *possibly completly missing the point/joke again, but this time unintentionally*
What if Sakurai told us about a smash direct/ a new trailer this week.
how would the world of Ridley react?
"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY METROID! I WANT TO ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHERF***ER!"
Man, imagine what this thread will be like if ridley is confirmed , or imagine the internet when ridley AND k rool are confirmed. Wishfull thinking. Havn't seen much new info lately on him so i'm really left with thoughts >.<
It will revert/devolve into stone age because nearly everyone either supports him or is a detractor, so, entire internet will overload and require to be recreated from scratch. There isn't many neutral guys in this war.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
If Ridley doesn't get in the game through DLC or just by being there in the first place, there will be mods. I'm personally in the process of taking 3D modelling/animation classes and plan to make one myself if nobody else does it better.

We'll get our Ridley one way or the other, even if it means we have to do it ourselves.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
I've been telling everyone. Ridley is being saved as a surprise to hype the Wii U version. Don't expect any Ridley POTD until close to the release of the Wii U version.
ridley wouldnt be revealed in a pic of the day unless he is a stage hazard and sakurai has no reason to do that since it happened in the last smash bros game

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I agree with the notion that if Ridley isn't playable in this Smash, he's never going to be unless someone else is directing.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Who said lurkers can't join the emotional train thing?

I started stalking this thread over a week ago....or more, idk, because I REALLY wanted Rids in. And, after quietly watching you all like a creeper, I can say that you're all awesome, interesting, and talented individuals!....That's about it.......Back to lurking.

Here's to the lovable, purple dragon!
Even for a lurker, you are still a welcomed Space Pirate! With that said:

Welcome to the thread! *Insert generic "enjoy your stay" and "don't drink the water" message coming your way*

Just imagine... Ridley's screen K.O.
No need, here: :troll:

I think @ SchAlternate SchAlternate made this, so give credit to him for this awesome image. If he's not the maker, please give me the original artist so I can give credit.

Last edited:

BertholdtFubar

Smash Cadet
It's been said, but every single reveal for a non-playable character flat out deconfirmed them. Ashley, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Waluigi, Prince of Sable, etc. These characters were simultaneously revealed and deconfirmed in a single day.

Ridley was "revealed" in April. It's been four months since then, less than a week before the game's Japanese release, and he still hasn't been deconfirmed. Add this to the shadow analyses that show his small size and that he grabs Pikachu, and the various POTDs mentioning character size, and I'd say Ridley's chances are looking great. Only 6 days or less until we know for sure.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Assuming this thread is still alive when his reveal happens...

Narffy

Smash Rookie
Interested to see where this all goes. Ridly's chances seem to be subtly, yet not insignificantly, improving every day.

Who's going to play Ridley as soon as they unlock him? I'll be keen to give him a go as soon as I can, see what exactly he's like!
I don't care how much I might suck as him, I'll friggin main him! :p

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
1 more week of PotD's from master hero Samurai. what if he outright told us that he will hide clues in all this weeks PotD to hint us who the last character trailer will be.
first PotD: Charizards purple alt :troll:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It's been said, but every single reveal for a non-playable character flat out deconfirmed them. Ashley, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Waluigi, Prince of Sable, etc. These characters were simultaneously revealed and deconfirmed in a single day.

Ridley was "revealed" in April. It's been four months since then, less than a week before the game's Japanese release, and he still hasn't been deconfirmed. Add this to the shadow analyses that show his small size and that he grabs Pikachu, and the various POTDs mentioning character size, and I'd say Ridley's chances are looking great. Only 6 days or less until we know for sure.
Yeah. I get that. I understand that. But if he's not playable, people are gonna look back on this and act like we're trying to prove aliens exist.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
1 more week of PotD's from master hero Samurai. what if he outright told us that he will hide clues in all this weeks PotD to hint us who the last character trailer will be.
first PotD: Charizards purple alt :troll:
Master hero? More like Mashpotato Samurai.

BertholdtFubar

Smash Cadet
Yeah. I get that. I understand that. But if he's not playable, people are gonna look back on this and act like we're trying to prove aliens exist.
That's fair. I'd normally agree with you; a lot of this stuff is kind of strawgrasping. However, the sheer amount of little things add up into a fairly good case for Ridley advocates. Honestly, every solid piece of evidence against him, like the leaked All-Star pic without him next to Samus, has been debunked. It could go either way.

If he really is not playable, I think more people are going to look back on this and ask why in the holy hell wasn't he deconfirmed ages ago?

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Slightly off-topic but it appears as if someone on Gamefaqs might soon come into possession of the game in the next few hours or so. So...yeah, we're on the cusp of knowing here me thinks.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Slightly off-topic but it appears as if someone on Gamefaqs might soon come into possession of the game in the next few hours or so. So...yeah, we're on the cusp of knowing here me thinks.
He's a known NessInEagleland level troll from my experience there. Don't expect that to pan out.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
At this rate, I don't think this thread will be alive when Ridley is finally revealed.

Also:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I just wanna talk about Ridley and my thoughts of him
-I thought Ridley was a mindless beast until I discovered the internet
-I don't even remember when I started supporting Ridley
-I joined the forum just to talk about Ridley
-I never completed Super Metroid

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
As if they don't and this planet is the only one with life on it...oh, wait, im getting off-topic...
I agree with the notion that if Ridley isn't playable in this Smash, he's never going to be unless someone else is directing.
OR if Sakurai will decide to make a Metroid game. Then we will get him and 5 more characters from this game, no matter how unimportant they are, 20 new items and enemies, etc. There always has been Sakubias in SSB and it is obvious in this game - 2 newcommers, many new enemies and new items for a franchise that was dead for 20+ years and has only 3 games while DK and Metroid, popular and important franchises with more games, have none and only has 2 characters (Metroid has 1 character TWICE by the way) and has barely any stages and items?

Anyway, if Ridley isn't playable, i will be mad because why not just instantly deconfirm him like well i don't know...EVERY OTHER CHARACTER? And detractors will be even more annoying. Also, clones DO take away time that could be used to make full newcommers - they still have HD models that must be done, different animations (not all of animations must be different, but there is still few) and different attributes. So, 3 clones require as much time as 1 new character.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Hey, how would yall feel if Ridley ends up being in the game as a clone of Charizard? I know it may be somewhat unlikely but ... look what happened to Gannondorf.

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
Ridley - he is superiour in every way (attack, defense, mobility, etc). His skin doesn't allows PLASMA BEAM to go through it (it still damages him, but doesn't just goes through him and when he makes his skin harder, it reflects it) and he can survive getting fully charged plasma beam shot into his throat, his tail is nearly invincible and he can fly fast enough to reach Tallon IV in few minutes. His attacks also deal high damage to Samus and in Other M, nearly every attack takes away at least 1 energy tank. And we all know how resistant Samus' suit is. He is also intelligent.

BIG. And only cartoonish characters like pokemons and Mario have parts of their bodies getting bigger for few frames in certain animations (Charizard's jumping animation, Diddy's side A, Mario's aerial forward A, etc), so, they will always be big. Doesn't means they couldn't be folded of course.

Looks more like some kind of a transformer that has Ridley as alt mode.

I saw him with lion head, but crocodile? Wow, why that wasn't instead of lion alt?

Seriously? Meta Knight on Pyrosphere = tease?
STRAWGRASPING

STRAWGRASPING EVERYWHERE

It is Ridley's tail shadow on an uneven surface and before and after that bump, it is straight.

You forgot Other M. It is a lot better as a ground fight than both of these - he actually uses fast melee attacks that could be used for his moveset because even though they are fast and powerful, they have either start up or end lag, so, they are balanced enough.

"Zebesian" kind of space pirates lack tongue. *completly misses the point/joke*

She was. It uses fire, wings, etc, during her boss battle and was in at least 1 game where you also could play as Meta Knigh and fight Galacta Knight as him.

Don't worry about that or size or just anything. Its Sakurai, remember? Same guy who turned a racer guy (who DID beat gods in a race) into a memetic bada$$ that can falcon punch you out of and into existance. Same guy who turned a goddess and incarnation of a very poweful demon with a triforce of power into something not OP while turning a pretty bada$$, but not all-powerful character into God-Tier character. Same guy who made Little Mac a bit more interesting and not a waste of time. Same guy who resized Bowser and Ganondorf (or at least Ganondorf) from 2x bigger than human (~1.7x in case of Ganondorf) into characters barely taller than Samus. Same guy who added Mega Man and Sonic because fans wanted that. If you doubt that they can't turn Ridley into playable character when SSBC developers, authors of SSBB Ridley PSA hack (i still hate model they used) and i (for different kind of game, i know, but that doesn't really matters) did, then you are saying that this guy is incompetent. He also is working with Namco this time, same guys who made True Ogre, a giant character, not overpowered.

I will. I think he may be used most of the time, like 90% of matches.

Ice Climbers and Lucas are cut according to the leak that also said that Shulk has 5 modes and that every character has at least 8 alt colors.

I think only leaks that are confirmed to be true (as in 100% true, no Gematsu true) are allowed and maybe those that are focused ONLY on Ridley. Its better to not discuss ANY leaks - we have not enough space left anyway.

Fake. Images on the T-shirt are completly flat and not distorted or anything like that since T-Shirt isn't a square or something that is always completly flat. *possibly completly missing the point/joke again, but this time unintentionally*

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY METROID! I WANT TO ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHERF***ER!"

It will revert/devolve into stone age because nearly everyone either supports him or is a detractor, so, entire internet will overload and require to be recreated from scratch. There isn't many neutral guys in this war.
The Shirt I post was me! I made this so I was imagine!! Deal with it!!

Narffy

Smash Rookie
Just curious:
If Ridley is actually confirmed, and this thread overloads and is closed, will there be another made, or is that it? XD

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey, how would yall feel if Ridley ends up being in the game as a clone of Charizard? I know it may be somewhat unlikely but ... look what happened to Gannondorf.
Ganondorf at least has C.Falcon's proportions while Ridley is as similar to Charizard as snake is to crocodile - yes, they both are dragons (reptiles in case of snake and crocodile), but while Charizard is a bulky dragon with short arms and legs, long normal neck, thick tail, short head and a gut, Ridley is an anorexic (even in Other M) dragon with long arms and legs, very long and thin tail, short neck that bends in 2 points in a weird way and is just too thin to be a Charizard clone. It will require as much effort as making a separate character because of how different they are.
Anyway, i won't be mad at that. Only a bit.
Just curious:
If Ridley is actually confirmed, and this thread overloads and is closed, will there be another made, or is that it? XD
We will get separate section of this forum. Or even a separate forum because of how BIG Ridley is.
The Shirt I post was me! I made this so I was imagine!! Deal with it!!
Then why don't i have one? SAKURAI!!!

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I don't see Ridley being a clone of Charizard at all. Also regarding the "hype" of Wii U version you forget 3ds and Wii U share same roster. ALL CHARS will be known this week/early next week. I really hope Sakurai gives us a HUGE BIG BANG TRAILER before the full roster leaks.

Also regarding Ridley for a voice. In the manga's he did have a voice not sure if that will be suited here in Smash. Not sure to be honest. Regardless im sure Sakurai will blow our minds away with Ridley. :D

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Under the assumption Sakurai will maintain some well-respected position as a creative producer or consultant (when he eventually steps down from his current duties), a new director may not accomplish anything. Let alone, a director who may share the same mind-set, with or without Sakurai. Either way, it is a crap-shoot.

Worst case scenario, we can always utilize mods, as per the above suggestion of TheNerdyOne_.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'd l:4myfriends: to say, we're reaching critical mass. Less than 140 pages left before we have to close this thread. I think it'd be best we slowed down just until the 12th, so this threads demise may coincide with the reveal of Rids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom