• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
True, but Nintendo should realize that the entire contents of the game will be revealed in less than a day of Japan's release. Besides, tons of people are going to import this game, and even some will get it a few days earlier. Its best to keep surprise reveals, well a surprise, so if Nintendo intended to have a trailer for Ridley, best to release it before the japanese release, as people will find out immediately come Sept 13 or even 12.
Still we won't find out about Ridley's role for the Wii U version, and it's more likely that 3DS content will be revealed (Aside from ATs, items, costumes, and other smaller content, which can be revealed in a Wii U screenshot) to anticipate for the portable version.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That was skidding on borderline/bad for a while, but I thank everyone who kept a calm head through it.

This question has probably already been asked, but would you guys buy a Ridley Amiibo?
I might, it could scare the flies away . The again, my mom would say it looks freaky and it may make me look like a medieval geek.

I just bought my Samus Amiibo without even considering the other options. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't question anything about getting a Ridley one.

Not quite, considering Ridley is supposed to be one of a kind, whereas R.O.B. is just an unique version of an army of clone troopers.
*One of a kind with a clone.

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
I think the direct rumor is false. We just had one last week, it would be weird to have one so soon. I think Ridley will be revealed when the game comes out in Japan. That's my two cents.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So we've discussed Ridley's custom moves and alts. What about his taunts and victory poses?

I'd like one of his taunts to be a piercing roar, akin to Wolf's howl. Another could potentially be lashing out with his tail and wings. His last one could then be stretching his neck and limbs in preparation for the slaughter to come.

I think his victory poses would follow suit, with poses such as a triumphant cry to celebrate his prey's demise; flying around and landing with an almighty crash, claws and talons ready to rend and sever; and crouching down as though ready to pounce at will.

I'm also wondering what he would sound like if he had a voice. I imagine he would have a cold, commanding voice, soothing and serene, yet full of wrath and vitriol. A true villain's manner of speech that would inspire fear and obedience in all that behold it. What do we think of these hypothetical victory quotes?

"All who oppose us will know the true meaning of fear."
"It is the nature of the prey to submit to their superiors."
"I am the hunter, and you are but carrion at my mercy."
"There will be nothing left of you but blood and bone."
"Throw yourselves at my feet and I may spare your miserable hides."
"Your demise serves only to further our ambitions."
"In death, as in life, the weak must perish before the strong."
"Honour is a luxury you will not be afforded."
"As you draw your last breath, know that your life is worth nothing."
"Such arrogance. It is a service to rid this place of you."

PowerBomb

Smash Master
That's more than likely to be the Direct Japan got, if it's true. At this point, if Ridley is a playable character, I doubt he'd be anything but a secret unlockable. Plus, there really is no point in showing this off to the West only. For Japan, their game comes out in less than two weeks.

If anything, a trailer might be revealed on the Japanese release date.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
So we've discussed Ridley's custom moves and alts. What about his taunts and victory poses?

I'd like one of his taunts to be a piercing roar, akin to Wolf's howl. Another could potentially be lashing out with his tail and wings. His last one could then be stretching his neck and limbs in preparation for the slaughter to come.

I think his victory poses would follow suit, with poses such as a triumphant cry to celebrate his prey's demise; flying around and landing with an almighty crash, claws and talons ready to rend and sever; and crouching down as though ready to pounce at will.

I'm also wondering what he would sound like if he had a voice. I imagine he would have a cold, commanding voice, soothing and serene, yet full of wrath and vitriol. A true villain's manner of speech that would inspire fear and obedience in all that behold it. What do we think of these hypothetical victory quotes?

Those victory Quotes...
"Game Rated E10+"

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'd like one of his taunts to be a piercing roar, akin to Wolf's howl.
Only if he does the Fusion Screech and that arm thing he does in Fusion.

Great ideas, though I think he'll probably stick to screeches and roars rather than a speaking voice.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Those victory Quotes...
"Game Rated E10+"
I do stress the term "hypothetical", darling. ;3

Only if he does the Fusion Screech and that arm thing he does in Fusion.

Great ideas, though I think he'll probably stick to screeches and roars rather than a speaking voice.
I'd imagine so. It would certainly be fitting more so with his establishec character. I just really really wanted to illustrate what the big guy sounds like in my head ahahah~ <3

Laniv

Smash Champion
I think one of his victory poses will have him swoop down to steal the baby Metroid.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

King Ghidorah. High-pitched giggling. Done. :demon:

And on that note, gold/gold canopies alternate!

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman

This has to be a taunt.
http://youtu.be/691Z_c4lV48

So I doubt Sakurai would give Ridley anything more than a generic monster sounds.

Bowser has stock monster roars and DK has stock gorilla grunts unlike in their actual games.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
All who oppose us will know the true meaning of fear."
I was think more along the lines of well..

But those work too!

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
mewtwo is in the "20 unlockable characters"! its not so hard to undersand!! and yes, maybe is all fake... but maybe not! thats why i want good reasons of why this is fake! (and remember, this was all before the leaks)
How did you come up with 20 unlockables?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
How did you come up with 20 unlockables?
He's referring to a thing brought up earlier;

Came out July 27th, has "M" for mario rep, "D" for duck hunt, and "X" for shulk.
Keep in mind the Blue part was speculation at the time.
Also isn't 53 characters+Random how much space the leaked roster would have if more characters were added?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It kind of bothers me that people keep saying that WE just had a Direct. No WE had a trailer and character reveal, Japan had a Nintendo Direct, we didn't get a Nintendo Direct unfortunately as much as I want a Western one just for more info on games that aren't Smash, and of course the inevitable Smash trailer that would come with it, preferably a Ridley/Hype Three trailer. Also didn't we have the Smash and Tomodachi Life directs within a couple days of each other, so reason we couldn't have a Wii U direct or another Smash centric direct as we've gotten with Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 shortly before release of their respective games.

Now it's probably fake as hell, just saying WE haven't gotten a direct since Hyrule Warriors and there's no reason directs can't be close to one another. That said I can't decide if Ridley is getting a trailer if he'll be part of a Direct they announce in the next couple of weeks, or if they'll have it be a countdown thing leading up to the Japanese release. I just want him in the game so badly, and I want the respective trailer to be absolutely epic as well....

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Okay guys, we need to start conserving posts. Which especially means no hype trains even if a Direct is confirmed. This thread can't afford another PAX snafu, so let's try to keep things slow until the 13th or Ridley's reveal, whichever comes first.

In other words, keep the thread alive for a couple more weeks and not kill it prematurely, that's all I'm saying.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
*Sigh...I severely dislike when people try to over simplify an argument in the face of their own flawed one to try and demonstrate how their point somehow makes more sense, but here goes.

They only act if there's something to work with. No sign of Ridley's full body what-so-ever means they will not say either way. Chrom also didn't need a deconfirm, it was obvious that he was not going to be playable after the trailer. Rayman only needed one because a silly Nintendo rep borked his words and literally implied without ambiguity that he was a newcomer. That demanded clarification due to the Nintendo rep not choosing his words carefully.

This is subjective, because while it doesn't make sense to you, it certainly makes perfect sense to me, enough to not be convinced of Ridley's chances at all. You hyped something up to be more than it actually is. There's no shame in that, but just don't start whining about Nintendo being deceiving and making bad marketing choices when you don't get your way, because from my perspective they've done nothing to forcefully create hype for him being playable. Only this thread has.

Are you trying to say that he will be in because it will boost game sales?...because you actually have no proof that Ridley being a playable character would all of the sudden coax current non-Smash bros. Players who weren't getting it anyway to buy Smash, especially with Ridley being obscure outside of the Nintendo verse.

Again, I don't feel "tested". You are only testing yourself. In fact this whole paragraph is just emotional speculation. Like a child crying about not getting a toy they want.

"I will feel mocked and betrayed if you don't put Ridley in!"

Even though he made no promises to put him in and is under no rule of law to do so.

"I won't buy the game and I will boycott Nintendo!"

I mean, really? To essentially assert that the game sales overall will be affected by your personal choice to be stubborn over one single character seems pretty self-centered. Sales will be unaffected. I'm sure there will be a few out there, extremist & irrational outspoken people who will speak with their wallet in a way that simply amounts to complaining, but it's not going to "hurt" game sales if Ridley is not playable.

Something I notice is you sure make a lot of assumptions on how Nintendo works in very absolutist ways. Do you work there?

I don't see Sakurai as the sole decision maker behind everything Smash but I certainly don't assume to know how and why certain things happen. It can simply be assumed that much of the direction behind the marketing of Smash is based on Sakurai because he is the director of development. That's a pretty important position by the way. He certainly isn't getting all his info dumps cleared by Nintendo of America, don't seriously try to convince me that any other Nintendo aside from Japan has a say.

Here's the simplification part *facepalm

First of all, it's possible to get your hopes up and dreams crushed by merely anything, it depends on your desires and proneness to be misled or get hyped up.

Sakurai can't possibly manage to work around everyone's specific measures behind what they consider teasing and false hype-building. Nobody could. Everyone wants something different.

I'm simply pointing out that not all patterns in life are meaningful or telling of something. I can give you many examples of meaningless patterns if you like. The point is you find and seek out these patterns yourself in an effort to use them as "proof" to console yourself or make yourself feel better about a likely possibility (that he won't be playable).

My logic is not that Ridley is an exception, it's that you're forcibly pointing at a pattern that is otherwise insignificant and has no bearing on his playability chances. You think certain things are a big deal that I do not (sounds like being Human).

At the end of the day, it is merely the fact we are human that is why we will always evaluate the situation differently, and we will find out in very little due time who's perspective was closest to reality.

If I unlock Ridley in real-time on my stream, you can be there to say "I told you so" and I won't even be mad.
...I was almost considering you to be one of those guys who secretly wishes to see the fanbase burn...until you brought up the fact all people evaluate things differently. I can't hold a grudge against you if you're simply evaluating this differently from the rest of us. Time will tell which is right.

However, this doesn't mean you can act like a smart-mouth, and march into this thread like we don't know any better. You may care about being right, but the rest of us care about what is right. Thinking you can convince us Ridley won't be playable time after time again is like screaming at a brick wall; it won't budge. But hey, only time will tell, as this is all opinionated in some way. We'll see who's laughing in the end.

Also, I personally suggest you don't say something like "I personally want Ridley playable" when strongly attempting to prove he isn't playable. While you may be telling the truth, I've seen too many others use that phrase as an excuse to get people off their case; it just feels like a cheap defense, imo. I'm really sorry for nitpicking like that; it just rubs me the wrong way hearing that from a detractor. ^^'

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
It kind of bothers me that people keep saying that WE just had a Direct. No WE had a trailer and character reveal, Japan had a Nintendo Direct, we didn't get a Nintendo Direct unfortunately as much as I want a Western one just for more info on games that aren't Smash, and of course the inevitable Smash trailer that would come with it, preferably a Ridley/Hype Three trailer. Also didn't we have the Smash and Tomodachi Life directs within a couple days of each other, so reason we couldn't have a Wii U direct or another Smash centric direct as we've gotten with Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 shortly before release of their respective games.

Now it's probably fake as hell, just saying WE haven't gotten a direct since Hyrule Warriors and there's no reason directs can't be close to one another. That said I can't decide if Ridley is getting a trailer if he'll be part of a Direct they announce in the next couple of weeks, or if they'll have it be a countdown thing leading up to the Japanese release. I just want him in the game so badly, and I want the respective trailer to be absolutely epic as well....
It's confermed that there is a Russian direct but it's only about the 3ds LL
Nothing more nothing less

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Now don't be so down I may be wrong and there's more to it
But the main focus is the 3ds LL
Maybe an official Gannondorf reveal since everyone knows about him now. I mean. We did just get Shulk, and this is a Russian direct. Can't be that big of a deal. There must be an American/Western direct sometime soon. That would be a prime moment for Ridley. As many people have said, Shulk was Japan's Ridley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom