• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The only time I think making Ridley be the final boss is a good idea would be if he Ganonjacked his way to that position. Pretending to let another villain have their way, and then seizing control when he no longer needs them. And that should only happen literally once ever.

Otherwise, the second-to-last boss is the best position for him. The last boss is generally something that's everyone's problem, but Ridley is supposed to be Samus's problem. He's presented as a recurring nightmare, a trial of sorts she must continually conquer to move on. If their fight was put in the spotlight, it wouldn't be personal anymore.

tl;dr: Ridley is Darth Vader.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

I like to look at that one panel of non-violent Emotion Ridley's having and imagine he's having a little flashback of his own

A tiny Ridley looks on, Ridactyls are getting shot left and right out the sky, his parents fallen before him, Eggs of to-be siblings, smashed and now he's staring up at the barrel of a Plasma Rifle, his executioner shadowed in the light, but that mask, it gleams, Tiny Ridley is terrified... yet for just a moment the attacker lowers his weapon, Tiny Ridley sees his chance and escapes through a small hole in the back of his den, he creeps his way onto a ship, surviving on scraps he swears his vengeance to those who did this to him, flash forward to RIdley finding his way to Zebes, slowly but harshly training himself, bettering himself, become a bloodthirsty leader of a gang that rises up and eventually becomes the space pirates, and now he's being offered help to get his revenge started by a strange but smart brain thing, and he plans out the attack on what was once his home, now he's doing it, taking it all back... and he's found himself on the opposite side of where he once was, knowing what he's done to get here, letting this child live will only repeat what's happened...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

I like to look at that one panel of non-violent Emotion Ridley's having and imagine he's having a little flashback of his own

A tiny Ridley looks on, Ridactyls are getting shot left and right out the sky, his parents fallen before him, Eggs of to-be siblings, smashed and now he's staring up at the barrel of a Plasma Rifle, his executioner shadowed in the light, but that mask, it gleams, Tiny Ridley is terrified... yet for just a moment the attacker lowers his weapon, Tiny Ridley sees his chance and escapes through a small hole in the back of his den, he creeps his way onto a ship, surviving on scraps he swears his vengeance to those who did this to him, flash forward to RIdley finding his way to Zebes, slowly but harshly training himself, bettering himself, become a bloodthirsty leader of a gang that rises up and eventually becomes the space pirates, and now he's being offered help to get his revenge started by a strange but smart brain thing, and he plans out the attack on what was once his home, now he's doing it, taking it all back... and he's found himself on the opposite side of where he once was, knowing what he's done to get here, letting this child live will only repeat what's happened...
What is this from?

Tungsten

Smash Rookie
What is this from?
Its from the metroid manga. you can find it on the metroid wiki.
also, let us not forget some ****ing awesome metroid music. I doubt it will get used for smash because its too relaxed
youtube.com/watch?v=XuPJm2XQT0A&feature=kp

Its from the metroid manga. you can find it on the metroid wiki.
also, let us not forget some ****ing awesome metroid music. I doubt it will get used for smash because its too relaxed
youtube.com/watch?v=XuPJm2XQT0A&feature=kp
I dont have enough posts to post a link. sorry guys. its the torvus bog theme from mp2
I do think the mutated emporer ing 2 theme has a good shot of being used

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I, personally, don't believe that Ridley is the last of his species.

Although Space Pirates' designs vary from game to game, having reptilian or even avian qualities (I personally believe they are distant relatives to the Chozo), they are consistent in one way -- their lust for power and control. And what better way to gain control over different planets than to make your troops fit perfectly for each planet? Space Pirates are (in)famous for their careless approach to self-mutilation and experimentation. They will gladly tear another of their kind apart if it means learning something that they can use to make themselves stronger.

I believe Ridley is a very old, very intelligent "generic" Space Pirate, either mutated through scientific means or the final form of some sort of metamorphosis.

Haha, wow, forgot that Other M cemented Ridley as his own stupid bird thing humping lizard species. So much for fan theories.

EDIT: Also lol at "ruining Samus" but I'm not going to have that conversation.
It's a good thing, too. **** would eat pages upon pages. :p

Last edited:

Tungsten

Smash Rookie
So since we're making an employment list, I figured I should organize it:

Ridley's Gigantic Space Pirate Lounge:

Lounge Employees and Veterans (so far):
Lounge Owner; Strongest: @Oasis_S
Employee Head Organizer/Manager/Coordinator: @The Soulless One
HR Department: ??????????
Old Timers (TGBRW Veterans*): @ Phaazoid Phaazoid @ Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime @Oasis_S @ IsmaR IsmaR
Ridley Propaganda Artists; Comic Relief: @AndreaAC @SchAlternate @Angelglory @AbioFlesh @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt
Redundant Cycle Announcer (The cycles are redundant): @WingedSnagret
Animal GIFs: @TitanTeaTime
Lounge Interior Design: @ Kamiko Kamiko
Text-Wall Architect/Moveset Interrogator: Myself (@The Soulless One )
Size/Shadow Analyzers: @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt @Angelglory @Smashoperatingbuddy123 @OblivionWolf
The Realism Squad: @ Phaazoid Phaazoid @Scoliosis Jones @Dark Phazon @ Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime
One Liners: @Neo Zero
The Sarcasm Department: @ Phaazoid Phaazoid
The Writing Department: @WingedSnagret
Lounge Peacekeepers: @ IsmaR IsmaR @Swampasaur @Scoliosis Jones
Low-Quality Trolls: @The Soulless One
Female Avatar Roulette Captain: @ majora_787 majora_787
?????: @ majora_787 majora_787 @ Pacack Pacack @Reila
Charidley: @Armlesspuppeteer09
Lurkers in the Corners: @Ryuma @ender_idk @_______________ @JustALurker
Resident Punching Bag: Roidley
Unassigned: @MorbidAltruism @False Sense @Zoroarking @Wariofan1 ; Everyone else.
Bouncers: Kraid, Crocomire, Dark Samus

Current Applicants (as far as I can tell):
Ridley Propaganda Artists: N/A
Bringer of Hope: @WayfaringElf
Lounge Bartender: @ Tungsten Tungsten
Ridley in Miscellaneous Media: @Headcrab Jackalope
The Optimism Crew: @WayfaringElf @domokl
Lounge Interior Design: N/A
Some other department: Everyone else.

Banned Individuals: Samus Aran, Adam Malkovich, Anthony Higgs.

All individuals listed under Current Applicants have shown some potential for their positions but need to continue proving themselves to the HR Department (who should control this by the way?) to become Full Time Employees.

*TGBRW Stands for The Great Brawl Ridley War; all listed veterans are written as I've heard them from @ Phaazoid Phaazoid

Also, the Old Timers get their own VIP section in the lounge and special bar privileges.

Let me know if I missed anyone and if I need to readjust our current employee list.
Change me from bartender to the jukebox operator. I ****ing love metroid music

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I, personally, don't believe that Ridley is the last of his species.

Although Space Pirates' designs vary from game to game, having reptilian or even avian qualities (I personally believe they are distant relatives to the Chozo), they are consistent in one way -- their lust for power and control. And what better way to gain control over different planets than to make your troops fit perfectly for each planet? Space Pirates are (in)famous for their careless approach to self-mutilation and experimentation. They will gladly tear another of their kind apart if it means learning something that they can use to make themselves stronger.

I believe Ridley is a very old, very intelligent "generic" Space Pirate, either mutated through natural means or the final form of some sort of metamorphosis.

Haha, wow, forgot that Other M cemented Ridley as his own stupid bird thing humping lizard species. So much for fan theories.

It's a good thing, too.
He might be his own race but it's entirely possible it's a species related to the chozo

Check out Old Bird from the Super Metroid Manga

There's certainly a resemblance yes?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Sooooo I was checking Ridley's trophy in Melee a few hours ago and it says that Ridley's genetic structure is similar to a Dragoturnos RV7 !

Name of Ridley's species confirmed ?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sooooo I was checking Ridley's trophy in Melee a few hours ago and it says that Ridley's genetic structure is similar to a Dragoturnos RV7 !

Name of Ridley's species confirmed ?
What?

"The head of the Space Pirates on Zebes, Ridley soars through space on wicked wings. Ridley may look like a mindless monster, but he's actually quite intelligent. After the SR-388 incident, where Samus captured the infant Metroid, Ridley took the Space Academy by storm, annihilating the complex and taking the Metroid back."

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't even know what to say to this...
Turns out for 20$ an hour I can browse smashboards most of the day. at least 25-30 hours of the 40 hour week I do nothing, it's sad really. But then again, you can probably discern that from my posting habits xD

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm still stuck in super metroid... :( I feel like a terrible metroid noob.... 2D metroid are way harder than the Prime games..... Echoes was the hardest prime game imo it's one of the reasons I hold it highly not quite as high as Prime 1 though.

Prime 3 was good but lacking a lot imo compared to Prime 1 & Echoes.

Never played ZeRo mission or Fusion....
Waiting for ZeRo miss on WiiU VC but I think it won't happen :(

.Super metroid is difficult.... Reminds me of DKC2 damn that game was stupid good.

Edit: on best suits imo phazon suit from prime1 dark suit from prime2 (brawl Colour swap)

Hmmmm.. Prime 1 power suit hehehe
What part on Super are you stuck on?

I come here to the Ridley thread, and I missed everything ever.

But really, Ridley's boss fight was alright in Super Metroid IMO, but it suffers from the main issue with classic 2D Metroids that keeps me from putting them as high as the Prime Trilogy as a rule. I mean someone mentioned earlier that Omega Ridley is just "stand there and kill with hyper mode in two seconds", when I played Super Metroid it was literally "stand there and kill with super missiles in ten seconds".

Prime 1 and 3 as well as Other M had great Ridley fights though IMO that I enjoyed doing a lot. I have no idea how I'd rank those fights, though Meta Ridley in Prime 3 was probably my least favorite even if it was crazy and unique for a Ridley fight.
Super Metroid Ridley at least had a decent amount of health though. Unless I went out of my way to collect every possible missile expansion beforehand, I would usually run out of normal and super missiles awhile before he's beaten, whereas in Zero Mission he'd just takes a few missiles and his fight's done already. lol

With as much crap as Omega Ridley gets because of the game's hyper mode, at least he had some unique attacks that helped make his fight more engaging, not to mention was one of the harder bosses (at least for me) when on the game's highest difficulty.

But yeah, it's a general rule of thumb for me too to have an extra file saved on a Metroid before you're about to fight Ridley, in most of the games anyway.

I don't want this thread to look like a bunch of crazed, elitist cultists who are in denial about what happened at the April Direct. We're already in enough deep crap at the moment, we don't need our reputation to go down in infamy even further.

Again, I wanted to make sure that this thread remains respectable to at least some parts of SmashBoards.
Am afraid it's prolly too late for that (at least in the eyes of most people).. We as a fanbase have pretty much always been lumped & generalized in the worst ways possible anyhow. I'm clearly in denial for still showing passionate support for a character despite also seeing the writing that's on the wall for him, you're in denial, etc.

Kraid: Ridley, you're not authorized to fly, it's dangerous to the anyone near you
*Crocomire falls into the lava just to be revealed he's actually alive* (pretty much his role in SM)
If Kraid was the Adam of the game, he would probably tell Ridley that he's not authorized to use his plasma breath for the same reasons Samus couldn't use her power bombs till the end. Flying would just be his way of getting around certain areas like the morph ball is for Samus.

Is It Weird that I was Just Told "Don't Worry, this is not the Ridley Thread" on the K.Rool Thread less than a few hours ago?
People trying to create strife between the Ridley and K. Rool threads again maybe? How.. pathetically original.

Reila confirmed for being the Diddy Kong of this thread.
Just kidding. Y'all both are cool.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Yes. I collected every missile before fighting Ridley.

...Was I not supposed to
No, you just were better prepared for it. The idea is to get most of the items period before challenging your friendly neighborhood dragon of death.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
What?

"The head of the Space Pirates on Zebes, Ridley soars through space on wicked wings. Ridley may look like a mindless monster, but he's actually quite intelligent. After the SR-388 incident, where Samus captured the infant Metroid, Ridley took the Space Academy by storm, annihilating the complex and taking the Metroid back."
The french one is different :

"Sur les ordres de Mother Brain, Ridley a enlevé le dernier exemplaire de Métroïde en détruisant l’académie spatiale où celui-ci se trouvait. La structure génétique de ce parasite s’apparente au Dragoturnos RV7. Ridley peut ressembler à une créature primitive mais possède en fait une intelligence très développée."

Or more or less with my horrible lack of english skills :
"Under Mother Brain's orders, Ridley stole the last metroid by destroying the space academy where it was captive.
The genetic structure of this parasite is simillar to the Dragoturnos RV7.
Ridley may look like a primitive creature but it possess in fact a highly-developed intelligence".

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The french one is different :

"Sur les ordres de Mother Brain, Ridley a enlevé le dernier exemplaire de Métroïde en détruisant l’académie spatiale où celui-ci se trouvait. La structure génétique de ce parasite s’apparente au Dragoturnos RV7. Ridley peut ressembler à une créature primitive mais possède en fait une intelligence très développée."

Or more or less with my horrible lack of english skills :
"Under Mother Brain's orders, Ridley stole the last metroid by destroying the space academy where it was captive.
The genetic structure of this parasite is simillar to the Dragoturnos RV7.
Ridley may look like a primitive creature but it possess in fact a highly-developed intelligence".
Seems like that part is refering to the metroid, rather than Ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yes. I collected every missile before fighting Ridley.

...Was I not supposed to
Just saying, for the average player who doesn't know where every missile tank is located, Ridley in Super Metroid wasn't a pushover like his Zero Mission or Fusion counterparts, and were plenty that had more difficulty with him than any other boss first playthrough.

I'm not sure I would say his Super Metroid fights are still the best now, but certainly the better of the 2D ones.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just saying, for the average player who doesn't know where every missile tank is located, Ridley in Super Metroid wasn't a pushover like his Zero Mission or Fusion counterparts, and were plenty that had more difficulty with him than any other boss first playthrough.

I'm not sure I would say his Super Metroid fights are still the best now, but certainly the better of the 2D ones.
I can at least agree that it's the best of the 2D ones, after fighting Winged Ridley, Pirate of the Space and hearing that Zero Mission's isn't the best thing ever.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Ridley isn't a parasite...
Being called a parasite is a negative way of talking about somebody in French (it's someone who keeps bothering you no matter what you do about it).
Also why would it be talking about the metroid so much in the Ridley trophy ?

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I don't know, I didn't have that issue my first time through. Beat him first try, never ran out. Seems more like it would be a problem for people who're replaying it and don't feel like picking everything up again.

Top Bottom