• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You're misinterpreting what I said.

I'm saying the thing he pulled with Ridley causes further Speculation/debate, which in turn helps to create more hype and discussion around the game.

It's happening right here, right now. It's clearly working.

Plus "Bosses" on stage is something new.
tbh, your opinion (and that's a reasonable one), just further proves that it is impossible to tell confirmed or not since all of the fact you interpreted can also be interpreted in the opposite way and THAT'S what i think Sakurai is trying to bring a fate that can't be known to us. You can either tell he's boss because he's hyping for it or he's playable since it just looks fishy. So, this is self explanatory and it is only a matter of interpretation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Even if Ridley's tail tip were only twice the size of Pikachu, he'd be this size.
Its hard to tell how big ridley is I need bowser and samus and a couple of other characters

By the way he might be made to big because pikachu was in his foot almost up to his knee was covered by pikachus shadow (in my opinion)

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Ridley is a boss character; at least the one in the pyrosphere stage,
Here is why:

1. "Other boss character appearance." BOSS Characters were talked about when showing the Yellow Devil.
Now some of you may think, "Oh well until he says its a boss character/stage hazard then I'll still say hes playable."
Well Sakurai himself said it, he clearly stated that other BOSS characters appear on other
stages after showing the Yellow Devil. And when this was said, Ridley was shown, implying that he is a boss character.

2. AI-like movements: I have went through the video frame by frame and have concluded it is indeed AI-like.
He holds out his claws as if ready to grab something and when it comes in range with Pikachu, it stops and moves very slightly for a moment as if preparing an attack
and then swoops down to grab Pikachu. There was no choppy animation when Ridley grabs Pikachu, it was very fluid-like, just like how a boss normally moves.
Some may say that it is odd for a boss character to grab and do absolutely nothing, but how do you know its not inflicting damage? Master Hand does the same exact thing.

3. Gameplay Issues: There are various issues that Ridley would bring to smash bros by being a playable character based on the one we saw in the direct.
Lets say he was in the game:
1. How are some characters (short ones mostly) even going to grab Ridley when its airborne?
2. So Ridley can fly off the stage without falling?
3. How is jumping going to work? If Ridley can stay airborne and being stationary, then he should be able to fly just about anywhere.
And if Ridley jumps and falls back down, will there be a set place in the air to fall back to? That is weird and makes no sense. He could just fl.y
unlimitedly.

4. TOO BIG! By the words of Shokio, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_H7X77lM4Y, Ridley is "big as sh**." I'm not talking about how he was big in the previous metroid games and how it would be weird to see a downsized Ridley, I'm saying the Ridley in the DIRECT was "big as sh**." Come on now, even if the camera was angled normally he would still look way bigger than Pikachu. Based on the picture someone on here posted, Pikachu was the size of Ridley's tailbone, now imagine how the full body would compare to Pikachu. At that size it would be weird to have four Ridley's in battlefield. Plus, the 3DS might not
even be able to handle 4 giant Ridleys at once.

In conclusion, If he ends up being a playable character, awesome. If he ends up not, then oh well, hopefully another character is worthy to be in Smash Bros.
You may think "What about the incident with Toon Link when he was replaced by Alfonzo?"
Well let me ask you this, is Toon Link a stage hazard? I don't think so. And whats going to replace the Ridley from other M? A different Ridley? I do not think that would seem right. The only boss that belongs in the Pyrosphere is Ridley from other m.
Thats pretty much all I have to say about Ridley. Also, to let you guys know I in no way hate Ridley, just not going to set myself up for disappointment.
I really do wish that I get shut up with a future Ridley reveal or something but right now it is clear that the Ridley in the Pyrosphere is a boss.
Please be respectful about my opinion and do not reply if it is just you angry about my opinion.

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
4. TOO BIG! By the words of Shokio, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_H7X77lM4Y, Ridley is "big as sh**." I'm not talking about how he was big in the previous games and how it would be weird to see a downsized Ridley, I'm saying the Ridley in the DIRECT was "big as sh**." Come on now, even if the camera was angled normally he would still look way bigger than Pikachu. At that size it would be weird to have four Ridley's in battlefield. Plus, the 3DS might not
even be able to handle 4 giant Ridleys at once
You didn't see the video where he said he was trolling when he said he was too big, now did you? if shokio admitted he was trolling when he said Ridley was too big, then it means he doesn't think he's too big.

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
You didn't see the video where he said he was trolling when he said he was too big, now did you? if shokio admitted he was trolling when he said Ridley was too big, then it means he doesn't think he's too big.
Actually, yes he does think he is too big. He said he was trolling because Ridley fans are passionate about Ridley compared to those of the Mii fanbase where they are not as passionate. Thats why he loves to see Ridley fans get angry when he thinks Ridley will not be in Smash Bros. He also expressed how Ridley looked odd downsized and went as far as to showing a mod of a downsized Ridley in brawl.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, he was trolling?
Here is why:

1. "Other boss character appearance." BOSS Characters were talked about when showing the Yellow Devil.
Now some of you may think, "Oh well until he says its a boss character/stage hazard then I'll still say hes playable."
Well Sakurai himself said it, he clearly stated that other BOSS characters appear on other
stages after showing the Yellow Devil. And when this was said, Ridley was shown, implying that he is a boss character.

2. AI-like movements: I have went through the video frame by frame and have concluded it is indeed AI-like.
He holds out his claws as if ready to grab something and when it comes in range with Pikachu, it stops and moves very slightly for a moment as if preparing an attack
and then swoops down to grab Pikachu. There was no choppy animation when Ridley grabs Pikachu, it was very fluid-like, just like how a boss normally moves.
Some may say that it is odd for a boss character to grab and do absolutely nothing, but how do you know its not inflicting damage? Master Hand does the same exact thing.

3. Gameplay Issues: There are various issues that Ridley would bring to smash bros by being a playable character based on the one we saw in the direct.
1. How are some characters (short ones mostly) even going to grab Ridley when its airborne?
3. How is jumping going to work? If Ridley can stay airborne and being stationary, then he should be able to fly just about anywhere.
And if Ridley jumps and falls back down, will there be a set place in the air to fall back to? That is weird and makes no sense. He could just fl.y
unlimitedly.

4. TOO BIG! By the words of Shokio, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_H7X77lM4Y, Ridley is "big as sh**." I'm not talking about how he was big in the previous metroid games and how it would be weird to see a downsized Ridley, I'm saying the Ridley in the DIRECT was "big as sh**." Come on now, even if the camera was angled normally he would still look way bigger than Pikachu. Based on the picture someone on here posted, Pikachu was the size of Ridley's tailbone, now imagine how the full body would compare to Pikachu. At that size it would be weird to have four Ridley's in battlefield. Plus, the 3DS might not
even be able to handle 4 giant Ridleys at once.

In conclusion, If he ends up being a playable character, awesome. If he ends up not, then oh well, hopefully another character is worthy to be in Smash Bros.
You may think "What about the incident with Toon Link when he was replaced by Alfonzo?"
Well let me ask you this, is Toon Link a stage hazard? I don't think so. And whats going to replace the Ridley from other M? A different Ridley? I do not think that would seem right. The only boss that belongs in the Pyrosphere is Ridley from other m.
Thats pretty much all I have to say about Ridley. Also, to let you guys know I in no way hate Ridley, just not going to set myself up for disappointment.
I really do wish that I get shut up with a future Ridley reveal or something but other than that it is clear that the Ridley in the Pyrosphere is a boss.
Please be respectful about my opinion and do not reply if it is just you angry about my opinion.
Obvious troll is obvious. And if you're talking seriously, read the last 60 pages, please.

Actually, yes he does think he is too big. He said he was trolling because Ridley fans are passionate about Ridley compared to those of the Mii fanbase where they are not as passionate. Thats why he loves to see Ridley fans get angry when he thinks Ridley will not be in Smash Bros. He also expressed how Ridley looked odd downsized and went as far as to showing a mod of a downsized Ridley in brawl.
A mod that takes his flying model and shrink it down, I searched, like, two more videos and found good ones

Last edited by a moderator:

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Wait, he was trolling?

Obvious troll is obvious. And if you're talking seriously, read the last 60 pages, please.
Don't respond/feed the troll then, and I have the right to say my opinion.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Last edited:

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Nope, nothing about opinions or subjectivity.
Hey, I'm not the best with english okay? It is just my thoughts on how Ridley is a boss character. Other than bashing me on my english, actually say something regarding my post or why you think he could still be a playable character. This isn't an english class. Because at this point it just seems to me you are upset that I think Ridley won't be playable.
Edit:
Oh and by the way, you spelled "grammar" wrong so might want to change that before anyone sees it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, I'm not the best with english okay? It is just my thoughts on how Ridley is a boss character. Other than bashing me on my english, actually say something regarding my post or why you think he could still be a playable character. This isn't an english class. Because at this point it just seems to me you are upset that I think Ridley won't be playable.
If you're not here to support him, read the last pages and find evidence against our arguments, what you did was post arguments that were disproven a long time ago. Find something new to counter-argument or simply leave. Now, if you allow me, I am going to play Kid Icarus: Uprising

D

Deleted member

Kind of a hypothetical question, but if Ridley is indeed a boss, or just Other M Ridley is a boss, what do you think the reward would be for beating him?
You get to ride him and blast everyone because "HE'S BIG AS S***"

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I was calling you out on the fact that you put something that explicitly means fact (which is indisputable) and then back tracking and saying its an opinion to avoid criticism.

My answer to your 1 & 2 is that Ridley can pull double duty as a boss and character, like Bowser did with Giga Bowser in Melee. Use Other M as boss, classic as playable. Makes sense given that Other M Ridley is a clone. My answer to 3 is that Charizard got implemented perfectly fine in Brawl. You can find the answer to 4 in the OP. I'd recommend the GIF from Melee's opening.

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
If you're not here to support him, read the last pages and find evidence against our arguments, what you did was post arguments that were disproven a long time ago. Find something new to counter-argument or simply leave. Now, if you allow me, I am going to play Kid Icarus: Uprising
Its still a Ridley topic, we are here to discuss things about RIDLEY its not a matter of if its disproven or not. I still can say my opinion. How are new people to this thread are going to know all the arguments in the past? Do you think new people to this thread are going to read all of the pages from page 1? Not likely.

I was calling you out on the fact that you put something that explicitly means fact (which is indisputable) and then back tracking and saying its an opinion to avoid criticism.

My answer to your 1 & 2 is that Ridley can pull double duty as a boss and character, like Bowser did with Giga Bowser in Melee. Use Other M as boss, classic as playable. Makes sense given that Other M Ridley is a clone. My answer to 3 is that Charizard got implemented perfectly fine in Brawl. You can find the answer to 4 in the OP. I'd recommend the GIF from Melee's opening.
But Charizard isn't constantly flying airborne like Ridley is. Then again it could be one of his movesets if he was playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Its still a Ridley topic, we are here to discuss things about RIDLEY its not a matter of if its disproven or not. I still can say my opinion. How are new people to this thread are going to know all the arguments in the past? Do you think new people to this thread are going to read all of the pages from page 1? Not likely.
You don't need to be on this thread to know all the arguments from the past, you can find them everywhere that has smash and ridley included. and We are here to discuss Ridley for smash not arguments, and Too big is an old, disproven argument, along with some other ones you have mentioned.

D

Deleted member

But Charizard isn't constantly flying airborne like Ridley is. Then again it could be one of his movesets if he was playable.
Who said Ridley's idle animation is flying? He could easily be hovering like Peach

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
K41Z0's post, in particular point 3, made me think about how Ridley could play out; perhaps he could fly for long periods of time, but can only take flight from a grounded position and gets knocked out of flight after being hit? That could allow him to be powerful in the air, but not be anywhere near game-breaking, as it only lasts as long as he stays unharmed. He'd have to recover with standard jumps and his up-B (assuming that down-B or something else is "take flight" rather than up-B, which might be a simple Shoryuken-style attack). Just a thought to distract from the argument going on right now.

D

Deleted member

Hovering and grabbing? Thats a bit strange to me.
Unique gameplay? Now we're entering playability discussion again. Might as well remind that uniqueness is a large role in Sakurai's decision

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
"Ridley is too big by the words of Shokio"

Well, have you ever considered the words of Sakurai?

Ridley is more likely than not, a boss IMO. But the size argument is practically nothing at this point.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I don't mean to be a downer, but the size of the tail barb, combined with the fact that he doesn't need to land in order to grab Pikachu, he just scoops them up from the air,
makes me think that Other M Ridley is indeed too big to be playable, and is indeed a stage boss.

This doesn't necessarily discount another version of Ridley being playable, but I think it's safe to say that Other M Ridley is de-confirmed.

D

Deleted member

"Ridley is too big by the words of Shokio"

Well, have you ever considered the words of Sakurai?

Ridley is more likely than not, a boss IMO. But the size argument is practically nothing at this point.
I'm sorry, but Sakurai is Jesus, Shokio is God :troll:

D

Deleted member

Your on a troll today, oops did I say troll? I meant to say roll, your on a roll today
Just having some fun. The "air-grabbing" thing made me think again about the "terrible at the ground, God in the air" gameplay idea. How about air-smashes for him?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just going to quote myself since it's more relevant now but for everyone that is saying that his tail looks too big in the clip, this is how I interpreted it:

This something I just tough like just look at this

Imagine pickachu here would that feel like, for an hazard WAY TOO BIG? (literally it would feel way too big because if the tail is 2-3 pickachu, imagine the whole model it makes no sense).

He's clearly messing with us by putting an angle way zoomed in.
Not saying you're opinion are wrong but you should at least consider this.

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
I don't mean to be a downer, but the size of the tail barb, combined with the fact that he doesn't need to land in order to grab Pikachu, he just scoops them up from the air,
makes me think that Other M Ridley is indeed too big to be playable, and is indeed a stage boss.

This doesn't necessarily discount another version of Ridley being playable, but I think it's safe to say that Other M Ridley is de-confirmed.
I agree, maybe another version of Ridley might be playable. Just because Samus is from Other M, that doesn't mean that Ridley has to be from Other M as well. Thats just like saying that the Fire Emblem characters have to be from the same game, but we got Marth, Ike, and Roy and they were from different Fire Emblem games.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just going to quote myself since it's more relevant now but for everyone that is saying that his tail looks too big in the clip, this is how I interpreted it:

Not saying you're opinion are wrong but you should at least consider this.
Did Shokio consider it? No? Then shut your mouth.

I'm joking, honestly I am

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I agree, maybe another version of Ridley might be playable. Just because Samus we see from Other M, that doesn't mean that Ridley has to be from Other M as well. Thats just like saying that the Fire Emblem characters have to be from the same game, but we got Marth, Ike, and Roy and they were from different Fire Emblem games.
Yeah. I think if Ridley is playable, he will be more representative of how he has appeared in Smash so far (the Super Metroid version).

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Yeah. I think if Ridley is playable, he will be more representative of how he has appeared in Smash so far (the Super Metroid version).
And I wouldn't want to be playing as ugly Other M Ridley. Other M Ridley should remain a stage hazard so it can die.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Once again, look at what happens when the regular thread members aren't around...

...And this time I'm NOT referring to the detractor. AT ALL.

Not cool at all guys. We are NOT to be so opposed to opposing arguments as to instantly declare the opposition "trolls" and going on the offensive.

Discern first. Discern second. Act third.

Here is why:

You have to take it all as is and be careful not to add more than the provided context.

"Boss Characters" were not the subject of that sub-segment of the Direct.

The primary segment at that point was Stages. The sub-segment being debated was specifically called "Yellow Devil". In other words, only ONE boss character was talked about: The Yellow Devil.

Sakurai could have called that segment "Boss characters". He could have chosen not to name the segment all. But for all intents and purpose, the primary focus of that sub-segment was demonstrating the Yellow Devil.

Yes, afterward he placed on the very tail end of the segment "Other Boss Characters will appear". And yes we're shown the clear and obvious shadow of Ridley. Nobody is denying this. It can't be denied.

But we can question the vagueness and ambiguity of the clip. Especially when, until that very point, Sakurai was being clear as day about the Yellow Devil and divulging all sorts of details.

Why stop there? Why not just SHOW Ridley afterward? If the point was to define Ridley with absolute certainty that his primary role in the game was to be a boss character like Yellow Devil, then frankly Sakurai did a lousy job. Especially in light of other reveals where he clearly states "This is this" and "That is that".

Ultimately, all this means is that the segment is open to questioning. Whether intentional or not, Sakurai himself created an opening for even more questioning instead of closing the book on the subject. Frankly I think the lot of us would have preferred the book being closed instead of just another page being turned and having us all figuratively and literally chasing shadows.

For one, of course it's "AI-like". That's not up for debate.

What people debate is whether or not the actions were "boss-like". Frankly I think it's too up-for-interpretation to really discuss reasonably.

Now I've also gone over the Pikachu thing several pages back. I'm convinced there is no grabbing of Pikachu. Whatever this Ridley is doing, I've recognized that Ridley's tail partially makes up the "Pikachu" shadow, the shadow itself is likely distorted anyway, there's no visual indicator that Ridley actual reached toward the ground (the general direction the shadow's arm travel does not reflect picking up something from the floor), and at some point the part of the shadow assumed to be Pikachu simply vanishes once Ridley resumes his flight path. No sign of escape or dropping or whatever. Pikachu would have to be casting his own shadow, yet at no point is there ever a shadow independent of Ridley. All things shadow belong to Ridley.

unlimitedly.
Sorry, but this goes much too far into the "I can't think of it, so it must not be possible" fallacy territory.

Yes there likely will be issues with making playable Ridley. No, you cannot disqualify the possibility based on your limited knowledge and imagination. Doesn't mean our knowledge and imagination is limitless. We may not foresee an issue that would ruin his chances. But neither can you.

Such a subject is highly subjective and MUST be approached as open-minded as possible. Once you close your mind off to any possibility, you effectively invalidate your own views.

4. TOO BIG! By the words of Shokio
As somebody else already mentioned, Sakurai's words trump Shokio.

And a personal note: Don't let somebody else do the thinking for you. Rarely a good idea. Especially on the internet.

D

Deleted member

Now that I look closely at Roidley, he kinda does look like he is supposed to look more like Super metroid ridley...
That's the reason that I first thought it was Meta Ridley, he's so skinny compared to Roidley(after Shokio's video he must have tried to lose some weight)

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
Once again, look at what happens when the regular thread members aren't around...

...And this time I'm NOT referring to the detractor. AT ALL.

Not cool at all guys. We are NOT to be so opposed to opposing arguments as to instantly declare the opposition "trolls" and going on the offensive.

Discern first. Discern second. Act third.

You have to take it all as is and be careful not to add more than the provided context.

"Boss Characters" were not the subject of that sub-segment of the Direct.

The primary segment at that point was Stages. The sub-segment being debated was specifically called "Yellow Devil". In other words, only ONE boss character was talked about: The Yellow Devil.

Sakurai could have called that segment "Boss characters". He could have chosen not to name the segment all. But for all intents and purpose, the primary focus of that sub-segment was demonstrating the Yellow Devil.

Yes, afterward he placed on the very tail end of the segment "Other Boss Characters will appear". And yes we're shown the clear and obvious shadow of Ridley. Nobody is denying this. It can't be denied.

But we can question the vagueness and ambiguity of the clip. Especially when, until that very point, Sakurai was being clear as day about the Yellow Devil and divulging all sorts of details.

Why stop there? Why not just SHOW Ridley afterward? If the point was to define Ridley with absolute certainty that his primary role in the game was to be a boss character like Yellow Devil, then frankly Sakurai did a lousy job. Especially in light of other reveals where he clearly states "This is this" and "That is that".

Ultimately, all this means is that the segment is open to questioning. Whether intentional or not, Sakurai himself created an opening for even more questioning instead of closing the book on the subject. Frankly I think the lot of us would have preferred the book being closed instead of just another page being turned and having us all figuratively and literally chasing shadows.

For one, of course it's "AI-like". That's not up for debate.

What people debate is whether or not the actions were "boss-like". Frankly I think it's too up-for-interpretation to really discuss reasonably.

Now I've also gone over the Pikachu thing several pages back. I'm convinced there is no grabbing of Pikachu. Whatever this Ridley is doing, I've recognized that Ridley's tail partially makes up the "Pikachu" shadow, the shadow itself is likely distorted anyway, there's no visual indicator that Ridley actual reached toward the ground (the general direction the shadow's arm travel does not reflect picking up something from the floor), and at some point the part of the shadow assumed to be Pikachu simply vanishes once Ridley resumes his flight path. No sign of escape or dropping or whatever. Pikachu would have to be casting his own shadow, yet at no point is there ever a shadow independent of Ridley. All things shadow belong to Ridley.

Sorry, but this goes much too far into the "I can't think of it, so it must not be possible" fallacy territory.

Yes there likely will be issues with making playable Ridley. No, you cannot disqualify the possibility based on your limited knowledge and imagination. Doesn't mean our knowledge and imagination is limitless. We may not foresee an issue that would ruin his chances. But neither can you.

Such a subject is highly subjective and MUST be approached as open-minded as possible. Once you close your mind off to any possibility, you effectively invalidate your own views.

As somebody else already mentioned, Sakurai's words trump Shokio.

And a personal note: Don't let somebody else do the thinking for you. Rarely a good idea. Especially on the internet.
Pikachu wasn't grabbed? Alot of people here would disagree with that. As for on the Ridley being too big topic, I only referenced Shokio for joking purposes. I did compare the tail bone of Ridley to Pikachu and how ridiculously big Ridley would look compared to Pikachu if the whole model was seen, NOT about how he was big in previous Metroid games and how weird he would look downsized like Shokio explained. And why Ridley wasn't revealed like how the Yellow Devil was? It could be just hinting like, "You know who this is." Also, they aren't going to show every Boss character that will work on other stages. You could take it as the showing of the Yellow Devil as an example of how boss characters will appear on other stages, they only showed Yellow Devil because people wanted to know what the heck that Yellow thing does since the first trailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom