• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When people mention big metroid bosses I think of Kraid

Now what's all this about some uncouth chaps this thread attracted recently?

And some little fellow named Mac?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
:0 oh....I'm going to start drawing more stuff later....so...I will leave this little thing

View attachment 12795

I think i loved the black/white/red colors on Ridley....
Oh my goodness that's adorable.

New potential Other M Subplot: Baby Ridley's still there, and looks like that. Upon coming upon Baby Ridley, Samus gets PTSD, but instead of standing like a slack-jawed idiot, Samus starts trying to kill the thing of her nightmares in a blind berserker rage.

However, being a clone with no memories of Samus's encounters, Ridley escapes, confused and terrified of her. Throughout the game, Ridley develops into a stronger, smarter creature, evading your attempts to kill him, then Ridley ultimately overcomes his fear of Samus and faces off against her on the Pyrosphere.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Nintendo should make a Metroid Prequel where we can see Baby Ridley in this form......
...crying after losing his family...his home...his future...by an attack from the Galactic Federation...
Ridley joins the Space Pirates for revenge

Metroid Untold: Dragon Profile

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
Some photos I rigged up quickly in paint(explaining the terrible quality) Personally, based on my small observations(paired with what Sakurai has already said), I'm inclined to say Ridley will NOT be playable.

Based on the way the shadow is, not only is Ridley's wingspan HUGE in regards to the stage, and especially in regards to pikachu. His wings and shadow go from the "center" where people actually walk, to the very end and off on the other side. This means that either he's not "centered" or he's flying the entire time. A mechanic unlikely to be implemented in smash. Even then, his shadow Is VERY large relative to other characters, and is even slightly bigger than the Yellow Devil's shadow from quick observations.

Along with that. I did this in like, 3 minutes, So I may draw up something better later. Anyway, just my thoughts. Take it as you will.

(Also notice that Pikachu does not have any shadow.)

http://s739.photobucket.com/user/Dragon1128/media/Ridleydeconfirmed_zpsca3efa73.png.html
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/Dragon1128/media/RidleyDeconfirmed2_zps88e41298.jpg.html

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Some photos I rigged up quickly in paint(explaining the terrible quality) Personally, based on my small observations(paired with what Sakurai has already said), I'm inclined to say Ridley will NOT be playable.

Based on the way the shadow is, not only is Ridley's wingspan HUGE in regards to the stage, and especially in regards to pikachu. His wings and shadow go from the "center" where people actually walk, to the very end and off on the other side. This means that either he's not "centered" or he's flying the entire time. A mechanic unlikely to be implemented in smash. Even then, his shadow Is VERY large relative to other characters, and is even slightly bigger than the Yellow Devil's shadow from quick observations.

Along with that. I did this in like, 3 minutes, So I may draw up something better later. Anyway, just my thoughts. Take it as you will.

(Also notice that Pikachu does not have any shadow.)

http://s739.photobucket.com/user/Dragon1128/media/Ridleydeconfirmed_zpsca3efa73.png.html
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/Dragon1128/media/RidleyDeconfirmed2_zps88e41298.jpg.html
Well you can see Pikachu's shadow right below Ridley's. Yes Ridley's wings are big but I don't see that being an issue. This Ridley is dwarfed compared to any other Ridley we have ever gotten. (Except NES) Also I think a character who is known for flying would be kinda good at staying in the air abit longer then most characters.

Here is a picture lilt made.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/101/3/7/ridley_pikachu_by_lilt92-d7dzwo1.jpg

You also gotta realize just how small Pikachu is to know just how small this Ridley is. A character alot of people call "As big as ****" isn't very big at all this time around.

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/donkey_kong/screen-5.jpg

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The reason the shadow is not directly under Ridley is because the light source is not coming from directly above the stage. In fact the shadows may be distorted and stretched due to the light source. Honestly we might not be able to tell how big his wings or arms are from an unreliable shadow.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
New potential Other M Subplot: Baby Ridley's still there, and looks like that. Upon coming upon Baby Ridley, Samus gets PTSD, but instead of standing like a slack-jawed idiot, Samus starts trying to kill the thing of her nightmares in a blind berserker rage.
It would be better if she would be like that (mindlessly shooting everything while yelling "DIE DIE DIE DIE") entire game instead of what they did.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The reason the shadow is not directly under Ridley is because the light source is not coming from directly above the stage. In fact the shadows may be distorted and stretched due to the light source. Honestly we might not be able to tell how big his wings or arms are from an unreliable shadow.
And a little note on that and shouldn't the shadow be on the otherwise because the lava water fall is the light source is the same side as the door pillar so shouldn't the shadow be on the other side

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
That's something I noticed when taking screens for the GIFs, too. Ridley is definitely grabbing/holding Pikachu, but Pikachu's tail isn't dangling down; it's off to the side somewhere. I think it's one of the shadows that forms the V-shape, intersecting with Ridley's tail shadow.

View attachment 12553
Yellow blotch is what I see as Pikachu, purple line is what I see as Ridley's tail. The shadow to the right of the tail could be either Ridley's arm or leg shadow.

I think Ridley's foot is somewhere in the mix, too, but it's too difficult to tell.
Steelia showed me this awhile back that im sure many of you missed. What we thought was Pikachu's tail was actually Ridley's tail dangling behind Pikachu.

This is relevant cuz this shows how stretched out the shadow is.....Ridley's tail tip isn't that thin.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...ey_model_again__by_bagansmashbros-d7d3idx.png

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Steelia showed me this awhile back that im sure many of you missed. What we thought was Pikachu's tail was actually Ridley's tail dangling behind Pikachu.

This is relevant cuz this shows how stretched out the shadow is.....Ridley's tail tip isn't that thin.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...ey_model_again__by_bagansmashbros-d7d3idx.png
I help you out on the fat tail tip thing

In other m

Anthony and samus are almost the same height

And here's Anthony getting hit by his tip

Pretty big tip he and yet it looked slightly smaller than pikachu in the footage (estimating)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, the whole size comparison thing really got complicated fast. Sakurai is obviously a higher tier of evil mastermind.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Well, the whole size comparison thing really got complicated fast. Sakurai is obviously a higher tier of evil mastermind.
LOL That Sakurai! One thing can be said for sure Ridley isn't so Bigley in Smash 4. People saying Ridley is 100% deconfirmed are the ones who are delusional.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Why isn't it E3 so we can possibly see what Ridley's fate is? I don't want to keep waiting

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I don't think Ridley will be revealed at E3. I think we'll get to see what the intro of the game will more or less be like. Y'know, we see a cinematic film showcasing all the characters from different series, be it veterans and newcomers, perhaps even a newcomer reveal (doubt it'll be Ridley).

Then the intro is about to reach the end and, walking through a flaming field, a bunch of silouettes walk in to the scene. And we'd be like "Perhaps these are the unlockable characters? And why does one of the have a long, thin head and large wings and a tail and-- OH MY."

Just brainstorming here.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I don't think Ridley will be revealed at E3. I think we'll get to see what the intro of the game will more or less be like. Y'know, we see a cinematic film showcasing all the characters from different series, be it veterans and newcomers, perhaps even a newcomer reveal (doubt it'll be Ridley).

Then the intro is about to reach the end and, walking through a flaming field, a bunch of silouettes walk in to the scene. And we'd be like "Perhaps these are the unlockable characters? And why does one of the have a long, thin head and large wings and a tail and-- OH MY."

Just brainstorming here.
"Perhaps even a newcomers reveal"....Uhh perhaps? I don't see them keeping that many characters secret. I expect atleast 3 like last years E3 maybe even 4.... :awesome:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...fl_progressive,w_636/elfktctsxjxwssxaq5tc.jpg

...But yeah E3 would be the time to reveal Ridley. A huge American loved character at a huge American event. I don't see them passing that up.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
If Ridley is playable, hes going to have his own trailer/will appear as one of newcommers in a trailer. Unless Sakurai will decide to do that intro thing and have multiple other newcommers we dont know about as unlockables, but I doubt it since its more reasonable to generate hype through those trailers and leave some of the veterans as unlocks.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
"Perhaps even a newcomers reveal"....Uhh perhaps? I don't see them keeping that many characters secret. I expect atleast 3 like last years E3 maybe even 4.... :awesome:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...fl_progressive,w_636/elfktctsxjxwssxaq5tc.jpg

...But yeah E3 would be the time to reveal Ridley. A huge American loved character at a huge American event. I don't see them passing that up.
If we got demise I would explode from happyness, Ridley and demise would be a treat. Also it would be really neat for the zelda series since there are 2 of each character in a sense from the franchise via Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf, Demise.

Honestly as long as there are no cuts (besides squirtle/ivy) and we were to get demise and ridley Id be happy with the new smash already, anything else would be bonus.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Here's a Photoshop Ridley I did for a class project -

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I still have the same opinion I did months ago

If Ridley is playable, and that is a big if, he's going to be a hidden character. He won't be revealed until the game's launch, or right if the roster is leaked, like the hidden characters in brawl, wolf, toon link, and a few more.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Man how is this thread still goin lol amazing..... Lol Ridley was shown as a boss @ direct. I can see sakurai getting angry mails or even being interviewed as to why ignore the fans on what they want such as Ridley. I bet u any money that sakurai will simply say, cuz of his size.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Thanks, it's really my first time doing anything like that.
:3 and you are going to get better at it! I showed a similar drawing of Ridley here, months ago, but it was a sketch that I colored using the most simple program in the world...Microsoft's Paint...but it took me 3 days to finish it

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
:3 and you are going to get better at it! I showed a similar drawing of Ridley here, months ago, but it was a sketch that I colored using the most simple program in the world...Microsoft's Paint...but it took me 3 days to finish it
I love Microsoft Paint! That's what I grew up using. Do you have a DeviantArt account?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Man how is this thread still goin lol amazing......
When this thread is mostly a support thread for Ridley for SSB4 this is also a thread to talk about Ridley in general, so it's no wonder than a poppular character like Ridley is still talked about regardless of the game, heck if we wanted we could just as well begin to support Ridley for SSB5, but there's no reason to do that until Sakurai himself say that Ridley is a boss instead of showing us Ridley's shadow and hint him as a boss.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Man how is this thread still goin lol amazing..... Lol Ridley was shown as a boss @ direct. I can see sakurai getting angry mails or even being interviewed as to why ignore the fans on what they want such as Ridley. I bet u any money that sakurai will simply say, cuz of his size.
Ridley wasn't shown as anything other than a shadow. Technically, his fate is still ambiguous. True, he's more than likely a boss, but at the same time, we don't know.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
When this thread is mostly a support thread for Ridley for SSB4 this is also a thread to talk about Ridley in general, so it's no wonder than a poppular character like Ridley is still talked about regardless of the game, heck if we wanted we could just as well begin to support Ridley for SSB5, but there's no reason to do that until Sakurai himself say that Ridley is a boss instead of showing us Ridley's shadow and hint him as a boss.
Just amazed at how many people still holding on to their dreams very strong even though direct may have decreased his chance on coming back. It's a compliment.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
...Do what? Were there any words in that?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yes those were words read up above ur comment. I complimented u guys. :p with a little joke on sakurai side of the story.
the general consensus of the people who still think ridley is playable is that sakurai trolled the entire video, he was probably trolling with the boss screen too, especially with the fact that nothing was confirmed

the other half the people think like you, that it was a pretty obvious show that ridley is a boss

to be fair, though, it's impossible to tell either way at this point, we're going to have to wait for more information.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
the general consensus of the people who still think ridley is playable is that sakurai trolled the entire video, he was probably trolling with the boss screen too, especially with the fact that nothing was confirmed

the other half the people think like you, that it was a pretty obvious show that ridley is a boss

to be fair, though, it's impossible to tell either way at this point, we're going to have to wait for more information.
News reporting in, Sakurai has transformed into a troll cuz of Nintendo direct footage. :p

Ye I agree I can see what ur saying.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

If you Subscribe to the mentality of the FORMER, then how can anything at all be confirmed at this point when you can just selectively believe anything.

OH YEAH THAT SAKI AMAMIYA I REALLY LIKE HIM I THINK HE SHOULD BE PLAYABLE HE'D BE REALLY COOL BUT LIKE HE LOOKS LIKE HE COULD BE PLAYABLE, MOVES AROUND LIKE HE COULD BE, DOESN'T MATTER THAT HE WAS DEMONSTRATED DURING A PART OF THE VIDEO RELATED TO ASSIST TROPHIES BECAUSE Y'KNOW SAKURAI IS A TROLL XDDD!

Top Bottom