• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What if Ridley's Shadow in the April Direct is Sakurai's idea of an April Fool?

Sakurai: "Hm? Ridley was shown as a stage hazard in April, you say? I'm sorry but that was an April Fool *bows down* Please Understand"
Oh...That would be soooo mean.:p
Ridley's shadow being an April Fool's joke would still be better than not having Ridley playable at all.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Welcome to our thread! Enjoy your time here because now you won`t escape this thread. BWO-HO-HA-HA! ALL HAIL GLORIOUS LEADER OF THE GLORIOUS SPACE PIRATES, RIDLEY!

@ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt , sure, i sent the link to him to you. It is .brres file. I can send you .obj file too if you need it. File in the link requires BrawlBox, but you already know that...right?
Uh...Totally! (Not)
I don't need much, just a bird's eye view and a profile view of your Ridley with the tail straightened out. My measurements insofar have been based entirely on the thickness of Ridley's tail as seen here.

If that's too much of a hassle, I'll download Brawlbox and do it myself.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Uh...Totally! (Not)
I don't need much, just a bird's eye view and a profile view of your Ridley with the tail straightened out. My measurements insofar have been based entirely on the thickness of Ridley's tail as seen here.

If that's too much of a hassle, I'll download Brawlbox and do it myself.
Ok then, but is bird`s eye view = from the top view or what?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well here's a T-shirt that I had to do for Typography class using a "hand made" stencil...
HNI_0033.JPG

My typography teacher didn't let me to use images so I couldn't try to make a stencil with Ridley...but at least I got his name.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Aesthetically, best Metroid overall IMO.
Mustard-yellow Varia Suit and ****stain Ridley aside, the game's aesthetic lacks the alien wonder of the Prime series and the dark, hostile motifs of the earlier games in the series. I cannot agree. They took Metroid's unique style and made it as generic as Sci-fi can get.

Hong

The Strongest
Mustard-yellow Varia Suit and ****stain Ridley aside, the game's aesthetic lacks the alien wonder of the Prime series and the dark, hostile motifs of the earlier games in the series. I cannot agree. They took Metroid's unique style and made it as generic as Sci-fi can get.
Well, no surprise there is more than just the leap to 3d that keep sidescroller Metroid purists like myself away from the Prime games. :b Kind of dull, for me.

To each their own, of course.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Anyone who has played Metroid Prime would not call it 'generic' in any way. :/ It is certanly not like 'just Another space shooter'. Mod, normal people, play Metroid Prime. It is Amazing.

It also has some Epic Ridley battles.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@Zoroarking

So sorry that I haven't been able to draw your request! I have been kinda busy, but I will get it today or tomorrow! (hopefully today...)

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I actually enjoyed the Metroid Other M style gameplay more than the first person (Prime series) and 2D (like Super Metroid and Fusion), although it was a while ago, so I can't remember the story that much (inb4 people tell me it's for my own good).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was a traditional Metroid purist once, until I swallowed my pride and tried playing Metroid Prime.

...Since that day, I started hoping every new Metroid game was in the Prime style.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I was a traditional Metroid purist once, until I swallowed my pride and tried playing Metroid Prime.

...Since that day, I started hoping every new Metroid game was in the Prime style.
Being able to scan the environment and creatures for information was my favourite feature of the prime series, so hope they bring that back in a new First person or 3D third person metroid, using the Wiipad would be ideal for it, similar to how it's used in the new Captain Toad game in the minecart level.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hate doing this, but can I have this as a PNG or JPG?

Or at least a printscreen?
There is PNG files in the archive - it just takes less time to upload them in this way. I can upload them here as PNG images if you want.
Anyone who has played Metroid Prime would not call it 'generic' in any way. :/ It is certanly not like 'just Another space shooter'. Mod, normal people, play Metroid Prime. It is Amazing.

Yeah, Metroid Prime (1st one at least) is a lot more...um...open than games like Halo and is one of the best Metroid games, close to Super Metroid.
Meh, Other M had better Ridley battle - it was just awesome. Meta Ridley fights were awesome, but not that awesome.

Hm...maybe i should actually play Metroid Prime by myself...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Omega Ridley in Prime 3, tho
He was blasted to death in a nano second by Hyper Mode, just like every boss that isn't named Mogenar.

Meta Ridley in Prime 1 remains my favorite boss battle ever.

Personally I'd like for both to continue. A 2D game is loooooong overdue by now though.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, some more comparisons using the Pyrosphere brick and tail thickness as a unit of Ridley's size.
all comparisons copy.png

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

It's absolutely nauseating though, at least for me. I can't play it for more than 15 minutes without feeling absolutely sick, and no other First Person game makes me feel that way.

It was a horrible decision not to have a FoV adjustment as an option. :\ It's way too narrow. Portal had it so there wasn't a problem.

New 2D Metroid, please.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah, Metroid Prime (1st one at least) is a lot more...um...open than games like Halo and is one of the best Metroid games, close to Super Metroid.
Just want to correct this.

In terms of level design, Halo is actually more open. It's certainly linear in progression compared to Prime, but Metroid Prime definitely is more closed in its level design.

The larger scope in Halo is the reason why it's 30fps, as opposed to Prime being 60fps. Well either that or Retro are tech wizards, not like Bungie were ever competent in that area.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Personally I'm mostly a fan of the 2D Metroid games, FPS games just ain't my style.
Been working on some ideas for how a new Metroid game could be, if anyone's interested.

And @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , I'm sorry to say this but I don't find your changes to the Other M model of Ridley to be that great. Now, I'm incapable of doing even half of what you can do with 3D models, and you've done a great job so far so kudos to you. But just extending the legs and curving the tip of the beak doesn't work that well designwise on the OM Ridley model. If you want his beak to be different you have to change it fundamentally. Just bending the tip makes it look like he has some kind of droopy carrot-nose. See, on previous designs of Ridley, the end curve on the beak looks fitting because the beak itself is more narrow than flat. OM Ridley has a fundamentally flat beak, bending it makes him look like a shoebill, and Ridley's no shoebill.

And concerning Ridley's legs, shorter legs makes sense since he spends most of his time either moving through the air or just sitting idle. Ridley doesn't walk much because he isn't really made for walking, and long legs coupled with bird-like feet would make walking even more awkward for him than it already is. Ridley's legs are more plantigrade (human-like in shape) than digitgrade (like birds), and the fact that his third/fourth toe (depending on the game, man it's annoying when they can't keep a consistent number on how many digits he has on his limbs from game to game) extends directly from his heel instead of the bottom of the foot like birds make it awkward to move around on two legs. Look at bats and pterodactyls, short hind legs but long forelimbs, similar to Ridley even though he possesses wings separate from his forelimbs. So unless he stands upright, a walk like that of a bat/gorilla makes the most sense. This is basic physiology and design we're talking about here.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
It's absolutely nauseating though, at least for me. I can't play it for more than 15 minutes without feeling absolutely sick, and no other First Person game makes me feel that way.

It was a horrible decision not to have a FoV adjustment as an option. :\ It's way too narrow. Portal had it so there wasn't a problem.

New 2D Metroid, please.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's FoV?

Also, I really can't relate to the things you hate about this (to each his own, of course!). I thought Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (and mostly 3) were Close to perfect. ^^

Also, well, Metroid is suppose to feel enclosed. It's part of what gives Metroid it's Amazing atmosphere.

Best case scenario, we'll get a gorgeous Prime game for Wii-U, and a 2D Metroid for the 3DS worthy of Super Metroid<3

Kamiko

Smash Ace

New 2D Metroid, please.
With the higher resolution on the Wii U, I'm sure a wider view would be pretty likely.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maybe not. But just in case, could you post them? And use imgur or some other image mirroring site?
Ok, i will post them in the next...um...post.

Just want to correct this.

In terms of level design, Halo is actually more open. It's certainly linear in progression compared to Prime, but Metroid Prime definitely is more closed in its level design.

The larger scope in Halo is the reason why it's 30fps, as opposed to Prime being 60fps. Well either that or Retro are tech wizards, not like Bungie were ever competent in that area.
And @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , I'm sorry to say this but I don't find your changes to the Other M model of Ridley to be that great. Now, I'm incapable of doing even half of what you can do with 3D models, and you've done a great job so far so kudos to you. But just extending the legs and curving the tip of the beak doesn't work that well designwise on the OM Ridley model. If you want his beak to be different you have to change it fundamentally. Just bending the tip makes it look like he has some kind of droopy carrot-nose. See, on previous designs of Ridley, the end curve on the beak looks fitting because the beak itself is more narrow than flat. OM Ridley has a fundamentally flat beak, bending it makes him look like a shoebill, and Ridley's no shoebill.

And concerning Ridley's legs, shorter legs makes sense since he spends most of his time either moving through the air or just sitting idle. Ridley doesn't walk much because he isn't really made for walking, and long legs coupled with bird-like feet would make walking even more awkward for him than it already is. Ridley's legs are more plantigrade (human-like in shape) than digitgrade (like birds), and the fact that his third/fourth toe (depending on the game, man it's annoying when they can't keep a consistent number on how many digits he has on his limbs from game to game) extends directly from his heel instead of the bottom of the foot like birds make it awkward to move around on two legs. Look at bats and pterodactyls, short hind legs but long forelimbs, similar to Ridley even though he possesses wings separate from his forelimbs. So unless he stands upright, a walk like that of a bat/gorilla makes the most sense. This is basic physiology and design we're talking about here.
Then i will try to improve the model like Angelglory did it. I just had not much time to edit him when i was editing him a bit. But didn`t SM Ridley and other Ridleys had long legs? What else should i edit? I will try to do everything possible to just make his model good, so, i need to know what is wrong for all of you.

...Looks like i messed things up a lot...i hate when that happens...

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Excuse my ignorance, but what's FoV?

Also, I really can't relate to the things you hate about this (to each his own, of course!). I thought Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (and mostly 3) were Close to perfect. ^^

Also, well, Metroid is suppose to feel enclosed. It's part of what gives Metroid it's Amazing atmosphere.

Best case scenario, we'll get a gorgeous Prime game for Wii-U, and a 2D Metroid for the 3DS worthy of Super Metroid<3
Just to clarify, I don't hate the game. I don't really have an opinion on it since I can't play it without feeling sick. =P

FoV stands for field of view. I think it's the really narrow view in Prime that's causing my nausea. At first I thought it was the high frame rate in a first person game, but I have no problem with Call of Duty.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The narrow rooms is a Metroid trademark honestly, it's why we have the Morph Ball to begin with. I'm glad it was translated into 3D.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Personally, one of the reasons I like Ridley's OM design is because he doesn't suffer from a horrible overbite like other versions. Especially Brawl and Omega Ridley, and Meta Ridley is not excempt from it either. I know that scene from the Prime 3 demo where Omega Ridley tries to bite Samus in ball-mode is supposed to look all dynamic and exciting, but I can't help but find it looking a bit ridiculous considering Omega Ridley doesn't actually have any chance of getting Samus into his mouth with a direct frontal bite. That huge curve on his beak just makes it impossible for me to take it seriously.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You know, just saying Pyrosphere not being in the demo doesn't really increase his chances. There could be loads of reasons why It isn't... for example, there could be some kinks/glitches with the stage. Ridley's Boss model may not be completely finished yet, the stage could be very well not finished 100% yet.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like his overbite, especially in Brawl, I think it gives the design a lot of personality. And honestly, with such a thin beak Other M Ridley's bite wouldn't be any better at all, it looks like he'd break his own jaws trying to bite Samus at all.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Just to clarify, I don't hate the game. I don't really have an opinion on it since I can't play it without feeling sick. =P

FoV stands for field of view. I think it's the really narrow view in Prime that's causing my nausea. At first I thought it was the high frame rate in a first person game, but I have no problem with Call of Duty.
I think the Dolphin emulator might be able to fix that problem. That's a shame that that happens with you though, you're missing out on three great games.

The narrow rooms is a Metroid trademark honestly, it's why we have the Morph Ball to begin with. I'm glad it was translated into 3D.
The problem isn't with the rooms, it's with the player's vision.

Top Bottom