• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I've been reading since page 877, and this thread actually seems really fun. I figured it's finally time I joined in. Until I saw this thread, I was convinced and saddened Ridley would be a simple stage boss, but after seeing a lot of compelling arguments drawn from the shadow alone (which is really impressive), you guys have convinced me that he still has a chance. Although some size estimations seem too small, the ones that are slightly bigger than Bowser seem perfect.

As for how I think he could work in the game, I agree with someone earlier who said he would be the opposite of Little Mac, except I would like to expand on that. I remember someone mentioning how being able to glide for a really long time would be overpowered. Ok, yeah, being able to hover in the air for a long time would be a really good recovery. But remember how Peach's works. When Peach gets hit out of her glide, she isn't able to glide again. If Ridley's good attacks are aerial attacks, then the player would prefer to always glide even when on stage for their attacking. After getting hit out of this state, he/she is not able to glide to recover, just his second jump and up B are available. This works as far as balancing goes.

As for Pyrosphere, I fully expect him to come out of the hole in the wall in the back during the cutscene that plays right before unlocking him. Remember how Wolf jumped out of his Wolfen in the cutscene right before unlocking him in Brawl.

@Waluigi is too big because no other thread is big enough to contain it WHY DID I SAY THAT
Welcome to our thread! Enjoy your time here because now you won`t escape this thread. BWO-HO-HA-HA! ALL HAIL GLORIOUS LEADER OF THE GLORIOUS SPACE PIRATES, RIDLEY!

@Dalek_Kolt, sure, i sent the link to him to you. It is .brres file. I can send you .obj file too if you need it. File in the link requires BrawlBox, but you already know that...right?

Last edited:

Maresch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maresch
Okay, so I'm going to play the role of the skeptic to see if you guys are convinced that Sakurai was just trolling us with Ridley. If any of you can't provide a valid explanation for my questions, then I'm going to learn towards Ridley's position as a boss hazard.

1. Why did Sakurai reveal footage of Ridley in the section where he discussed Yellow Devil (who is a boss hazard)? If he wanted to announce that other stages will feature such a mechanic, why did he do it with someone who is presumably a playable character? Perhaps the Dark Emperor or Twinrova could have sufficed for it.

2. Isn't it possible that Sakurai intended for us to take everything regarding Ridley's position at face value and move on with it? Sakurai has said before that he doesn't like to give false hope to fans who want to see their favorite characters playable, so this is something all of us have to consider.

3. If Ridley is indeed as small as you guys have estimated from his shadow, that doesn't mean he's actually a playable character. Meta-Ridley was quite small for a SSE boss if you removed the wings from his model, and it's possible that this Ridley could be the same size. A stage as large as the Pyrosphere could easily allow a small Ridley to move around the stage with ease attacking the players with the same moves he used in Other M.

4. Speaking of shadows, how are you so certain that Ridley is a Bowser or Rosalina-sized character? It's extremely difficult to accurately assess the size of someone from their shadow, let alone in video games, unless you had a copy of SSB4. Your estimations might be way off.

5. Metroid stages in Smash are infamous for having over-the-top hazards and cameos of various Metroid characters. Couldn't a stage-hazard Ridley fulfill all of those expected requirements?

6. Ridley is an extremely popular and controversial character, who's widely talked about in both the Metroid and Smash communities. With that in regard, why didn't the infamous leaker Sal Romano say anything about him if he presumably leaked the last remaining newcomers? You can't say that he only leaked the newcomers that would be revealed in Nintendo Directs, because we only have one more until the game comes out on September 13 in Japan.

7. Lastly, with the way Metroid is currently being treated in Smash, isn't it possible that this is how Sakurai views the franchise? With two playable Samuses and their archnemesis as a boss character? Sakurai said the main reasons he put Zero Suit Samus in Brawl's roster was because he wanted to pad Metroid representation, and that he wanted more females. Ridley is often thought of as Metroid's answer to Bowser; why wasn't he chosen over an alternate Samus?

There. Now don't take this the wrong way, I want Ridley in as much as you guys. But I've been having a lot of doubts on his inclusion in Smash, so I want you guys to prove your mettle.
I'm sure there are others here that can answer these far better than myself. Regardless, here it goes:

1 and 2: perhaps Sakurai intends for fans to believe that he's a boss hazard, so that when they see him as playable for the first time, the reaction will be that much greater.

3. Boss Meta Ridley is clearly much bigger than Bowser even without looking at the wings. This is considered an unplayable size. There's no reason for him to be any smaller as a boss in ssb4. If previous size estimations were correct (which put him around Bowser's size), he's very likely playable.
RidleyIsMuchBigger.png

4. Yeah, I'm not so confident about the size estimations either. I personally think the non-smooth animations from the shadow are much more convincing.

5. Anything could be a stage hazard. Some people mentioned the fact that lava comes from the sides of pyrosphere and it could be like previous Brinstar stages where the lava rises over time. But yes, Ridley would be fitting, so some people say he could be a hazard AND a playable character... Personally, I think lava again is the more likely possibility IF he's playable.

6. Why didn't he reveal Rosalina?

7. Maybe because Zero Suit Samus would appeal to a more 'mature' audience than Ridley. Remember the fanservice in her SSE cutscenes. Also, females have more priority than males when it comes to the roster. The ratio of males to females is already bad enough without ZSS in Brawl.

No one is 100% sure (outside of Nintendo of course), but he still has a chance. I'm feeling like it's 50-50 right now.

Edit: sorry @The Soulless One , I didn't see that you were in the midst of answering this yourself until after I did this.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
6. Why didn't he reveal Rosalina?
Possibly because Romano was given only six newcomers from whoever told him the secrets behind SSB4's development. Remember that Sal came and went after he posted his leak, and didn't come back until the April Direct. If Rosalina hadn't been revealed in December, he probably would have included her in his second leak.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Possibly because Romano was given only six newcomers from whoever told him the secrets behind SSB4's development. Remember that Sal came and went after he posted his leak, and didn't come back until the April Direct. If Rosalina hadn't been revealed in December, he probably would have included her in his second leak.
Sal's leaker never claimed to know the entire roster, and the extent of his knowledge is unknown. It's also very possible he only got a hold of the newcomers they had plans at some point to reveal pre-release (there's only three left in his leak, with another one or two highly likely to be revealed before launch), with some other newcomers that were always intended to be secret unlockables kept under wraps.

Additionally, if the leaker has full knoweldge of the roster, why doesn't he state which veterans are cut, and clarify highly popular newcomers like Ridley aren't making it in?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sal Romano seems to only know a limited amount of information about Smash 4. Rosalina makes it clear he isn't aware of all newcomer in the game.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sal's leaker never claimed to know the entire roster, and the extent of his knowledge is unknown. It's also very possible he only got a hold of the newcomers they had plans at some point to reveal pre-release (there's only three left in his leak, with another one or two highly likely to be revealed before launch), with some other newcomers that were always intended to be secret unlockables kept under wraps.

Additionally, if the leaker has full knoweldge of the roster, why doesn't he state which veterans are cut, and clarify highly popular newcomers like Ridley aren't making it in?
Good point. You've convinced me on that part.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
*Wakes up*

*has 22 notofications, all Likes in this Ridley Thread*

How ironic that the nicest people dwell in a thread about one of the most evil Nintendo characters ever made. :3

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey~ Does anyone know where I can find a SSBB Ridley model that isn't a trophy?

Also: http://game-oldies.com/play-online/super-metroid-nintendo-super-nes

Anyone interested in playing Super Metroid? It has some audio issues (at least for me it does).
"The last Metroid is iiiiiiiiin captivity, the galaxy is aaaaaaaaat peace."
Yup. Also some occasional static sounds during gameplay too, but it's manageable.

Man, stuff like downloaded emulators is one thing, but it feels kinda weird playing something like Super Metroid in another tab while also catching up on here. Such wizardry.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
What if Ridley's Shadow in the April Direct is Sakurai's idea of an April Fool?

Sakurai: "Hm? Ridley was shown as a stage hazard in April, you say? I'm sorry but that was an April Fool *bows down* Please Understand"
Oh...That would be soooo mean.:p

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
What if Ridley's Shadow in the April Direct is Sakurai's idea of an April Fool?

Sakurai: "Hm? Ridley was shown as a stage hazard in April, you say? I'm sorry but that was an April Fool *bows down* Please Understand"
Oh...That would be soooo mean.:p
This image doesnt make me think of Ridley in Smash. It makes me think Ridley is starring in a broad way musicle.

....What, id go see it, it sounds awesome.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Can you imagine if they had Mario styled Smash Bros spin-offs?

Ridley in a kart
Ridley playing Golf
Ridley in Mario Party
Ridley playing Tennis
Ridley playing Baseball
Ridley in a strikers outfit

Imagine it in all its glory!!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Ridley in a kart
Ridley playing Golf
Ridley in Mario Party
Ridley playing Tennis
Ridley playing Baseball

Yeah, and when he loses, he tears random Toad`s head off and then gives a mushroom pizza to the winner. Now i want to buy this games!

I made yet another 3D scene...but forgot to apply lightning, so, it looks kinda bright...anyway, here it is:

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I really hope they don't go with his other m design, I personally hope they go with the one they used in brawl. (was that super metroid or something?)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I really hope they don't go with his other m design, I personally hope they go with the one they used in brawl. (was that super metroid or something?)
They already used Other M design or at least similar design unless there is a 2nd Ridley.
It was based off the Super Metroid version, but i like Prime 1 Meta Ridley more.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They are using Samus' Other M design in the game. If Ridley is in, its design will be the clone Ridley one from Other M most likely.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
They already used Other M design or at least similar design unless there is a 2nd Ridley.
It was based off the Super Metroid version, but i like Prime 1 Meta Ridley more.
That shadow looks nothing like Other M Riddles, it's simply the tail.
The rest looks remodelled entirely.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm hoping for some kind of a hybrid.

Then again, I'll take whatever Sakurai gives, as long as Ridley is playable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That shadow looks nothing like Other M Riddles, it's simply the tail.
The rest looks remodelled entirely.
Nah, it's very obviously Other M Ridley judging by the wings and long limbs. Most we can hope is that they have modified it to look more clean.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Ridley in a kart
Ridley playing Golf
Ridley in Mario Party
Ridley playing Tennis
Ridley playing Baseball

I actually had a dream about Super Smash Kart once and he was in it. Seeing him drive a kart was kind of like seeing a biker dude who works out a lot ride a toddler's trike.

Twas very amusing to dream/picture.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
So I return to this thread, and what do I see?

Discussions on the gender of a giant pterodactyloid space-dragon, faithless heathens, and a list over contributors to this thread AND I'M NOT ON IT?! WHO DARES IGNORE MY ARTISTIC TALENTS WHICH I HAVE SO GRACEFULLY GIFTED TO THIS THREAD?!

It's because I don't have a signature, right? Nobody notices little ol' me, well that's fine. I'll just not post my newest artworks (in colour, even) as soon as I'm done with them now that I've got my bamboo-tablet running on my computer.

So anyways, what's new guys?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Ridley in a kart
Ridley playing Golf
Ridley in Mario Party
Ridley playing Tennis
Ridley playing Baseball

What would be left for Waluigi if you started adding more exciting characters to those games like Ridley?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Smash Kart needs to happen some day.

Someone, draw Ridley in a tiny Kart, where he is centimeters from the Goal, but he is so big, his head crashed into the Goal Pole thing (whatever it is called, that sign over the Goal that says Mario Kart).

The one to draw this gets a cookie. And some Kid Icarus Yaoi as a bonus.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I don't know if it was just a rumour, but I heard there's apparently a new Smash Bros. planned for next year, maybe they could use the Amiibo as a way to unlock characters like how you do in Skylanders. Of course the base game would cost less or even free, so as not to devalue Smash Bros for Wii U or 3DS. But a game like Super Smash Kart would make more sense, as they figures just seem to be used for storing AI data. Either way I can't wait to see how Nintendo plan to use Amiibo in the future, hopefully just as creatively as the upcoming Smash Bros.

No idea how they could use it for a Metroid game if they included the feature, if Ridley got a figure maybe you could summon a clone Ridley to help out lol.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So I just realized...

Now that we know more about the upcoming game... We need to come up with 12 special moves for Ridley. Of course, 4 moves, each with 3 variations, but still 12 special moves. :)

I need to uncover my previous Ridley moveset and draw some ideas off of that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't understand why Ridley has to be the Other M or Super Metroid designs, when he could be a unique design.

Or, just this one.
Man, the Zero Mission design is easily my favorite, I'd love that too much. Alas, considering everything else is based off of Other M (except bodyless-Mother Brain and Dark Samus who don't have Other M models) it's only logical Ridley will follow.

Hong

The Strongest
Man, the Zero Mission design is easily my favorite, I'd love that too much. Alas, considering everything else is based off of Other M (except bodyless-Mother Brain and Dark Samus who don't have Other M models) it's only logical Ridley will follow.
Aesthetically, best Metroid overall IMO.

They had an art style that felt like neo-retro or something. Old stylistic choices like colours, cheesy designs, comic book-like cutscenes, yet so clean and not as needlessly gritty as you'd expect from sci-fi art in the 70s or 80s.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not necessarily.

Samus uses her Other M design to a tee. But who would complain if she didn't?
Zero Suit Samus uses a completely unique design that borrows aspects from her Brawl (Or MP3) design and her Other M design, with some new aspects added as well.

I imagine Ridley will be a similar case to ZSS considering how divisive his design from Other M apparently is, and how awkward more popular designs are.

Top Bottom