• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Now, this is a question based on the fact that:

1) No bosses have been revealed for the 3DS version.
2) No uses for the Wii U gamepad have been revealed.
3) The Yellow Devil has a player icon above his head while he's exploding.

4) I'm just gonna say it. From the video clip, Ridley does indeed appear too big to be a playable character, and does indeed seem to be a stage boss on Pyrosphere, but why would Sakurai tease him like this if it were that simple? He knows about Ridley's huge popularity in the West, I don't think that he would purposefully hype something that would be so disappointing to so many people (not to mention how unimaginative it would be).

So I'm asking... Would it be feasible for a fifth player to control a boss character using the Wii U gamepad?

BTW, I'm not saying that the Yellow Devil was being controlled during the footage, just that the player icon sets a precedent.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Now, this is a question based on the fact that:

1) No bosses have been revealed for the 3DS version.
2) No uses for the Wii U gamepad have been revealed.

4) I'm just gonna say it. From the video clip, Ridley does indeed appear too big to be a playable character, and does indeed seem to be a stage boss on Pyrosphere, but why would Sakurai tease him like this if it were that simple? He knows about Ridley's huge popularity in the West, I don't think that he would purposefully hype something that would be so disappointing to so many people (not to mention how unimaginative it would be).

So I'm asking... Would it be feasible for a fifth player to control a boss character using the Wii U gamepad?

BTW, I'm not saying that the Yellow Devil was being controlled using the gamepad during the footage, just that the player icon sets a precedent.
Counterpoint: The Find Mii boss.

I doubt it. The fifth player would probably feel like a 3rd wheel for the majority of the matches rather than an integral, albeit different, role.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That icon was of that of the second player, Mario, who landed the last hit on him, to indicate that anyone other than Mario would get hurt from the explosion.

If "bosses" aid the fighter that defeats them, what's the point of them being controlled anyway? Just sayin'...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, since I haven't been really following the Ridley thread in awhile...

What would you all say Ridley's chances are like at this point? What evidence do we have that supports the idea that he's playable? What evidence is there that suggests that he isn't?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Counterpoint: The Find Mii boss.
There's really no evidence to support that he's a boss rather than a stage hazard...

I doubt it. The fifth player would probably feel like a 3rd wheel for the majority of the matches rather than an integral, albeit different, role.
Fair enough. I just can't figure out what Sakurai is doing with Ridley.

That icon was of that of the second player, Mario, who landed the last hit on him, to indicate that anyone other than Mario would get hurt from the explosion.

If "bosses" aid the fighter that defeats them, what's the point of them being controlled anyway? Just sayin'...
I know that, I guess I wasn't explaining myself very well. I don't think that the Yellow Devil would be controlled.

Another thing I noticed is that, while Ridley does seem to be a stage boss in terms of proportions, he also seems to move more like he's being controlled.
I dunno, I'm probably wrong on this one, but I think Sakurai's hiding something from us, that none of us have really considered. He's really good at that.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

What would you all say Ridley's chances are like at this point? What evidence do we have that supports the idea that he's playable? What evidence is there that suggests that he isn't?
We have no clue, there are arguments for both sides, we just haven't been given enough concrete info to make a determined statement, all we know is that a ridley is in the game somehow... and not knowing is driving us insane... or at least me.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
oh God, after I got a good laugh with the title....let me show you...

_MMD_Sweet_Devil_wmv (1).gif

THE PIRATE DANCE!

DAMN, I wish someone could make Ridley dance like them...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well as for progress on ridley my size comparison points are simular to the gamefaq one apparently

Well my next size apology this one is pretty good I have to say

You know the center ring of pyrosphere right well it was zoomed in on the shadow footage and the tabs looked like a good measure ment so

I think this is bowser from it

Then I decided to measure pikachu from the notches and he takes 1 1/2

The pikachu shadow looks slight bigger than when ridley grabbed pikachu so the shadow could be a big illusion

Like this

So I looked several times at Ridleys shadow to measure precisely I got a estimate of size which is this

Purple = ridley
Orange = bowser
Yellow = pikachu (sorry that one is bad)

Now definatly not 100% accurate
You see the ridley shadow did not get bigger than the smallest circle in the center so that's my best bet with size

Now do not get hopes up though this does not confirm ridley for playable its impossible to conclude that ridley is deconfirmed nor confirmed

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Oasis you ****. When I'm done with you your teets will be the least of your worries.

Honestly? I think the real reason is that Sakurai literally has nothing better to do. Development and decisions on the final cast/roles have been underway long before the Dojo started back up, hell maybe even before Miiverse was a thing. At this point they're likely just fine tuning everything, and spinning the wheels until they (can) show more.

His chances are the same as they always were. No revelations or new developments makes it "more or less" likely that he'll be playable at this point. I abhor the concept of "chances/likeliness" of characters in numbers. 10%? That's still saying there's a 1 in 10 chance they'll be in. I don't even think the likeliest of veterans are more than "50%" likely.

As for evidence, we have as much as we did before the Direct. The only thing certain now is that he's in the game in some way, shape or forme. Which I don't think anyone ever doubted would be the case.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You can try your best Ismar. Do you think your punishment can amount to what I endure for fun. WHAT DO YOU THINK I SPENT $200 ON?!

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
A vague size comparision of Bowser and the Ridley from the direct.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's a losing battle Ismar, if you can't beat 'em join 'em, might as well change your title from Modtroid to Teet/Testicle Twister. :troll:
Unfortunately I'm not much of a follower.

Finally a thread title I can relate to
Reminds me of the good old days. It's not a real Ridley thread until it's been locked.

That said, I feel this thread has gotten along fine without any of the old day stuff. For all the "giving up hope" and not-imaginative/not-Sakurai bashing we do, people do actually come here to discuss the character they support (or previously did), with the occasional level-headed (sometimes less so) detractors to get a say in edgewise. The thread's title and discourse have been changed to reflect that. Discussion is to be restricted to exactly what the title says. Artwork and Metroid-series discussion pertaining to Ridley are still allowed, but the rest will be dealt with as spam accordingly.

If by some miracle Ridley gets confirmed, then all nonsensical talk can resume in the new Ridley boards/Social. If he doesn't? Oh well, it won't be too long before this and all character support threads get locked again. It's not much longer, so I ask you all to bear with me. Anymore off-topic, flaming/gloating/"give up" hope posts (this includes passing off assumptions, opinions, etc. as facts) will be reprimanded, and vital organs will be twisted.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Miiverse had a recent update where there is a 3-Minute Limit for commenting...
RIDLEY IS NOT HAPPY...for now:smirk:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
WELL IF YA WANT ME GONE... *KICKSDUST*
If he does get confirmed I'm roombanning you and all the others who jumped ship from the Ridley boards.

A vague size comparision of Bowser and the Ridley from the direct.
I hadn't had the chance to comment on this, but in addition to Ridley, Pikachu's and Bowser's expressions are amazing.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who's happy that he's 99% not in so he won't be based off of his Other M incarnation? I really don't like buff Ridley, it just looks wrong to me. What makes Ridley's design unique in my mind is that he manages to be intimidating and imposing when he's actually very scrawny when you look at him. Other M Ridley just looked bland to me. The Prime series really nailed it.

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
welp... looks like i won't be having any more fun..... did get a kick out of oasis :p

Am I the only one who's happy that he's 99% not in so he won't be based off of his Other M incarnation? I really don't like buff Ridley, it just looks wrong to me. What makes Ridley's design unique in my mind is that he manages to be intimidating and imposing when he's actually very scrawny when you look at him. Other M Ridley just looked bland to me. The Prime series really nailed it.
Well, you SHOULD want him in. With him being in, sure thus time you'll get roidley in, but the next smash game will have whatever new ugly form of ridley there is in it! There may even be *gasp* pimpley! =O

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I can understand not liking the design, but I don't think it's enough to not want the character. At the end of the day, it's still Ridley, it's still the character that you and me want playable in the game and no design would really change that. It'd be much better to have him in with that design then not at all.

Plus, Sakurai has changed up the designs from Other M quite a bit already, so presumably Ridley would undergo the same and probably be updated to the point of looking more appealing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess bland's not as bad as other things that Other Ridley has been called. Being glad he likely won't be playable just over a design you don't like is kinda selfish though, even if I can understand where you're coming from. Ridley is still Ridley regardless of what incarnation gets used. Besides, the Other M incarnation wouldn't have as much a problem with the proportion argument people like to bring up sometimes, as he doesn't have those lanky limbs.

Well this caught my eye recently, mainly because of the pose. Hope to still see other things like it get made in the future. :)

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I can understand not liking the design, but I don't think it's enough to not want the character. At the end of the day, it's still Ridley, it's still the character that you and me want playable in the game and no design would really change that. It'd be much better to have him in with that design then not at all.

Plus, Sakurai has changed up the designs from Other M quite a bit already, so presumably Ridley would undergo the same and probably be updated to the point of looking more appealing.
True, maybe I just have a lot of prejudice against Other M. That game had so much promise...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel like Sakurai would jump at the opportunity to redesign Ridley. I know his NEATO design is what made me begin to like him so much in the first place. Being able to work with that design, add your own touches to it, I just feel like Sakurai would enjoy that. Mach Rider is a pretty good example of what Sakurai will do on a whim for this matter, lol. Completely redesigned him even though he was merely a trophy. Then you have Fox and Captain Falcon, whom he gave his own designs to. AND YOU KNOW WHAT. THEY ARE BOTH SPACEY GUYS. CAN'T GET MORE SPACEY THAN A SPACE DRAGON.

In fact, maybe having a VERY ALIEN CHARACTER is something he might want to play up in a redesign? I mean, we have Kirby, but maybe a more archetypical "alien" fighter. Something else to set Ridley apart from a dragon like Charizard.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the best approach to tackling his size would be to make him crouch a lot. He's almost always seen hunched over some way in his sprites, which makes sense given his height. The wings are a little trickier, the massive wingspan from the Prime series was my favorite change they made to him in that incarnation. They could make him keep them folded a lot of the time, but that could look awkward.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Pretty much have all his limbs close to his body too. See his pose in Zero Mission?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I feel like Sakurai would jump at the opportunity to redesign Ridley. I know his NEATO design is what made me begin to like him so much in the first place. Being able to work with that design, add your own touches to it, I just feel like Sakurai would enjoy that. Mach Rider is a pretty good example of what Sakurai will do on a whim for this matter, lol. Completely redesigned him even though he was merely a trophy. Then you have Fox and Captain Falcon, whom he gave his own designs to. AND YOU KNOW WHAT. THEY ARE BOTH SPACEY GUYS. CAN'T GET MORE SPACEY THAN A SPACE DRAGON.

In fact, maybe having a VERY ALIEN CHARACTER is something he might want to play up in a redesign? I mean, we have Kirby, but maybe a more archetypical "alien" fighter. Something else to set Ridley apart from a dragon like Charizard.
Even if Ridley as a character doesn't happen again this time, I would like to think that's something Sakurai would do if he was to give Ridley more thought in the future... Hell, if he made a Metroid on 3DS that's akin to KI Uprising (because you know, KI was known as Metroid's "cousin"), he would surely do something interesting with Rids there, yeah? Never thought I would entertain the thought of Sakurai making a Metroid game after the SSE, lol.

Oh, and no. I don't think that Ridley I posted is edible. Sawrry.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
He's playable.
I don't know why this is still up for debate.
I don't see how it's not. I'm trying to avoiid the whole
"Too big"
"No he isn't, here's proof",
"That's not proof, this is proof"
(Flame War)

But his appearance in Pyrosphere is evidence he is a stage hazard, thus not playable. I don't see how someone can be SO confident Sakurai is trolling to think it unbelievable to discuss his appearance.

D

Deleted member

So any bets on when Sakurai will finally let the cat out of the bag about Stage Hazardley?

I am guessing we will know by E3 considering the likely Smash 4 Wii U demo will have the Pyrosphere.
We will know Ridley's role in the game at E3; no earlier and no later. This is where we find out whenever or not he's playable, a stage hazard, or both (most likely middle, though).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
2 weeks down 6 to go

And I'm 70% sure of playable and 30% boss hazard I mean I really do sse this ridley smaller than th other m other m ridley

(The other m other m ridley would probably fill the center circle entirely)

Top Bottom