• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Off-topic Chrono, but how was your experience with the Geno and Krystal fanbase during pre-Brawl?
I really did not deal with Geno fans. I thought though that they were over-estimating that popularity be the "end all be all" factor for inclusion though. I love Super Mario RPG, but I did not think a side-character from only a single game warranted a slot over other series mainstays.

Krystal fans were annoying. They just got more obnoxious and cocky until Brawl's release. It was funny because I found out that Wolf was far more highly requested in Japan than Krystal was, and even in the West, Wolf's fanbase was roughly as large as Krystal's (and for much of the pre-Brawl period, paticularly up until 2006, Wolf's fanbase was much larger).

The Krystal fanbase basically went through a similar phenomenon as the Chrom fanbase did. They fervently believed that they were "inevitable" and they had some sort of leak backing them off. For Chrom fans it was the second round of the Gematsu leak, while for Krystal fans it was the voice actress for ZSS saying she was also doing voicework for Krystal in Brawl.

Heck, when Brawl was released in Japan and the entire leaked roster was proving true, and it was hours before people found Wolf (who was on the leaked roster and last remaining character on it), they swore up and down Krystal was the last slot.

Even though I personally don't support those characters personally, I do respect the K. Rool and Isaac fanbases (probably the last large newcomer fanbases left ). K Rool's fanbase is surprisingly mature for how large it is, and Isaac fans are dedicated (Isaac's heyday was a decade ago). I do hope that if Dixie Kong were to get in as DLC that they don't get mad about her "stealing K. Rool's slot", and simply realize that Dixie had merits just as strong as K. Rool, and that K. Rool is simply "next in line". I think K. Rool would be a lock for Smash Bros. if he were to have a major role in another DK title, but for now I am more optimistic on Dixie Kong getting in as DLC.

Personally want to see Isaac though on the grounds that Golden Sun is one of three remaining Nintendo franchises (Golden Sun, Advance/Famicom Wars, Rhythm Heaven) that warrants a playable character in Smash Bros. As I wrote in my roster analysis, one of the things Sakurai did right with the Smash 4 roster was giving so many Nintendo franchises a playable character (Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Mii's). I am more pessimistic on Isaac making it in as DLC for Smash 4 than K. Rool though, however, I am optimistic on him happening for Project M.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i gonna agree with everyone else and see we should probably look in to the future.Rather it's Project M(which i doubt with the recent sami and ray MK 3 votes.) Or the slim change of DLC.I may not been on this site as long as others but i don know when to call a day on a character.I'm not giving up in ridley for being playable in smash.He's just to BIG to ignore.I just think that his change for ssb4 is slim to none and us fighting each other isn't gonna get us anywhere anything soon.If we all work together we can get ridley playable in something.So maybe if we all just stop pointing finger(and you know who you are) and do something maybe we change his fate

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really did not deal with Geno fans. I thought though that they were over-estimating that popularity be the "end all be all" factor for inclusion though. I love Super Mario RPG, but I did not think a side-character from only a single game warranted a slot over other series mainstays.

Krystal fans were annoying. They just got more obnoxious and cocky until Brawl's release. It was funny because I found out that Wolf was far more highly requested in Japan than Krystal was, and even in the West, Wolf's fanbase was roughly as large as Krystal's (and for much of the pre-Brawl period, paticularly up until 2006, Wolf's fanbase was much larger).

The Krystal fanbase basically went through a similar phenomenon as the Chrom fanbase did. They fervently believed that they were "inevitable" and they had some sort of leak backing them off. For Chrom fans it was the second round of the Gematsu leak, while for Krystal fans it was the voice actress for ZSS saying she was also doing voicework for Krystal in Brawl.

Heck, when Brawl was released in Japan and the entire leaked roster was proving true, and it was hours before people found Wolf (who was on the leaked roster and last remaining character on it), they swore up and down Krystal was the last slot.

Even though I personally don't support those characters personally, I do respect the K. Rool and Isaac fanbases (probably the last large newcomer fanbases left ). K Rool's fanbase is surprisingly mature for how large it is, and Isaac fans are dedicated (Isaac's heyday was a decade ago). I do hope that if Dixie Kong were to get in as DLC that they don't get mad about her "stealing K. Rool's slot", and simply realize that Dixie had merits just as strong as K. Rool, and that K. Rool is simply "next in line". I think K. Rool would be a lock for Smash Bros. if he were to have a major role in another DK title, but for now I am more optimistic on Dixie Kong getting in as DLC.

Personally want to see Isaac though on the grounds that Golden Sun is one of three remaining Nintendo franchises (Golden Sun, Advance/Famicom Wars, Rhythm Heaven) that warrants a playable character in Smash Bros. As I wrote in my roster analysis, one of the things Sakurai did right with the Smash 4 roster was giving so many Nintendo franchises a playable character (Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Mii's). I am more pessimistic on Isaac making it in as DLC for Smash 4 than K. Rool though, however, I am optimistic on him happening for Project M.
Honestly speaking, it feels weird that neither K. Rool nor Dixie were in Smash 4 as playable characters considering their impressive resume. It will be interesting to see how Smash 4 DLC/Smash 5 speculation will go.

Also, you did mention in the Ultimate Smash 4 Character Analysis Thread that a statement from Sakurai made people believe that he was explicitly seeking out more females, when in the end, Brawl was still hugely male-dominated to the point where:zerosuitsamus: was the only female newcomer added.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly speaking, it feels weird that neither K. Rool nor Dixie were in Smash 4 as playable characters considering their impressive resume. It will be interesting to see how Smash 4 DLC/Smash 5 speculation will go.

Also, you did mention in the Ultimate Smash 4 Character Analysis Thread that a statement from Sakurai made people believe that he was explicitly seeking out more females, when in the end, Brawl was still hugely male-dominated to the point where:zerosuitsamus: was the only female newcomer added.
For K. Rool is was not strange looking at the rest of the newcomer choices. Every character on the roster (except retro newcomer Duck Hunt) had some sort of major role in a game released after Brawl's release. K. Rool's sole game appearance since Brawl's release was in Mario Super Sluggers released only a few months after Brawl.

Ridley, Dixie Kong, and Mewtwo not making it was bizarre though.

As for female newcomers, yeah you are right on that. People widely misinterpreted Sakurai's statement on that. However, its funny how much Sakurai went out of his way to add female newcomers this time around:

- Wii Fit Trainer
- Female Robin
- Rosalina
- Palutena
- Lucina
- Female Villager
- Wendy Koopa (the "legendary" twofer :troll: )

Not to mention Mii's I guess.

By comparison these were all the female fighters in Brawl:
- Samus
- Jigglypuff
- Peach
- Zelda
- Sheik
- Zero Suit Samus

i gonna agree with everyone else and see we should probably look in to the future.Rather it's Project M(which i doubt with the recent sami and ray MK 3 votes.)
Ridley has more votes in the poll than any other character EXCEPT Isaac.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
i know that just saying that if that keeps up Ridley could be bumped down a bit
Ridley is way too far ahead for any other characters to catch up. FYI, I think the third-highest choice is de-cloned Ganondorf/Black Shadow which is very contentious (a lot of people don't want Ganondorf replaced, which is why some have suggested a stance change as a compromise). Lyn is the only other one near those three.

Anyone else is very far behind.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Its the only plausible outcome for playable Ridley within the next four years at least. Telling people that Ridley is a plausible contender for DLC is giving people false hope and making them bark up trees they shouldn't. There is scores of people laughing at us for thinking Ridley is a DLC contender. One of the worst names the Ridley fanbase is getting is for the convoluted and tinfoil hat reasoning about why Ridley still might be in and Sakurai is playing an elaborate troll on Ridley fans.

Secondly, I said nothing against you that others in the leak thread have not also said about you.

The fact of the matter is, the Ridley fanbase is just as prominent now as it was in the pre-Brawl days, however, the major difference is that now there are scores of people disgusted with the Ridley fanbase due to the reasons I outlined. You want to know what other fanbases went through a similar demonization process? Geno and Krystal.
So now you're going to be hiding behind your false claims by saying others said it. That makes it better?

Stop acting like a child.

I'm not saying Ridley is DLC. I'm not giving false hope. I could go around preaching that you're spreading false anti-hope. But I'm not, because I'm not going to act as a child.

The only people painting Ridley fans in a bad light are the bad smash fans that won't even care about the game within the next 4-5 months. Everyone else is sympathizing with us and agreeing that Ridley's role is not okay.

There certainly are people who are giving the Ridley fans a bad light. But it's not the people who thought he'd be playable, no one hates them unless they're one of the fans that I mentioned above.

The people giving Ridley fans a bad light are the ones being ignorant, acting like children, and attacking others.

Find where you fall in that spectrum.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Remember how I said my previous post would be my last here in this thread?

Well this is the last straw.

Both of you need to stop having this petty little fight with each other as you're both making the Ridley fans look bad and acting like squabbling children on the playground.

Ridley's a stage hazard (with playable character traits which can hinder him). That's that. Is there a chance for him to be DLC? Yes albeit a very slim chance. Is this a valid reason to have a senseless argument and to start insulting each other?

NO.

Now would both of you grow up and (ugh) let it go.

This time I really am gone from this thread before it detonates.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Come on guys, really?

First off, quit arguing about Ridley. It's not worth it. ( While he would have been a cool playable character, I for one like the stage boss as it was implemented.)

Second, if you're going to talk about Project M, please do so in your group or in the Project M forums. This section is for Smash 4 discussion.

I'm not going to come in and say I told you all so, because that would be rude. It's too bad Ridley wasn't playable. My condolences. But please, let's not start going after each other. I don't give a **** who started it. Just stop. Negativity breeds negativity.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So now you're going to be hiding behind your false claims by saying others said it. That makes it better?

Stop acting like a child.

Its true no matter how much you don't want to believe it.

People constantly made jokes about Neo's sketchy sources in regards to leaks being "Connor's ***".

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Come on guys, really?

First off, quit arguing about Ridley. It's not worth it. ( While he would have been a cool playable character, I for one like the stage boss as it was implemented.)

Second, if you're going to talk about Project M, please do so in your group or in the Project M forums. This section is for Smash 4 discussion.

I'm not going to come in and say I told you all so, because that would be rude. It's too bad Ridley wasn't playable. My condolences. But please, let's not start going after each other. I don't give a **** who started it. Just stop. Negativity breeds negativity.
Please lock this thread, it turned into a cesspool, there's no point to it anymore.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Its true no matter how much you don't want to believe it.

People constantly made jokes about Neo's sketchy sources in regards to leaks being "Connor's ***".
Yeah no one does that. I read every page on that thread.

Burb and I are cool now and have made up.

You're the only one hung up on trying to attack me and others due to your own Ridley insecurities.

Scoliosis told us to stop. So I will. But you need to grow up pal.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Look on the bright side, this model of Ridley gives the potential for a good looking Ridley mod. We'll just have to wait several years for it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Scoliosis told us to stop. So I will. But you need to grow up pal.
The fact is that you constantly kept looking for inane scenarios where Ridley was "still in the running". You just need to let some things slide, and learn. The fact is that at this point we are probably not going to see a playable Ridley in a Sakurai directed game for a long time (until the proper Smash 5). You keep denying everything I am saying but the fact is you need to look at yourself.

Look on the bright side, this model of Ridley gives the potential for a good looking Ridley mod. We'll just have to wait several years for it.
Considering not even the 3DS has been hacked, I am not optimistic a modding community will exist for Smash 4 Wii U. Further hurting this is the fact that the Wii U has a small installbase. As it stands the Wii U is going to sell worse than the GameCube by a sizable margin, and Smash 4 Wii U is probably going to be the worst selling installment to the franchise.

Please lock this thread, it turned into a cesspool, there's no point to it anymore.
Considering that all (or most of) the threads for characters that have been de-confirmed as Assist Trophies or inactive, this might be for the best.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yeah! Let's go and wait...some...more...
cries

To be honest, I share this opinion. 't was fun to have our discussions and speculations here, but for fricks sake if you guys have some sort of issue you need to rabble about, you can send each other messages, each filled with as many personal attacks and strawmen as your hatred-filled hearts might desire. And if you disagree, well, by all means. Go and have your hissy fit on this thread. Go ahead, do it! I'm not stopping you! But it would be fairly inconsiderate to those who actually want to use it to discuss things. You can't have a cake and set it on fire too, you know.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Something to keep in mind that Pyrosphere might come back as a returning stage for future installments.
Do you think it's going to return, or is it too early to tell?
Eh, I dunno. Probably too early to be honest, gotta see some other stages first. Hopefully Brinstar Depths, with an redesigned/updated Kraid model. Actually, that's probably why it's more or less unlikely that stage will return.

Chase

Smash Ace
Something to keep in mind that Pyrosphere might come back as a returning stage for future installments.
Probably not if there is another Metroid between now and Smash 5. Whereas Brinstar is a location that is applied throughout the series, Pyrosphere is a bit of a flavor-of-the-month type stage.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
ok seriously, i dont get why this thread was opened again. we were all fine in our private thread of the alliance. we only had one troll and he got banned quick. that thread everything was fine. i have to ask the mods why was this thread open and the private one closed? we should return to the private one so that arguments will not ensue. please.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
ok seriously, i dont get why this thread was opened again. we were all fine in our private thread of the alliance. we only had one troll and he got banned quick. that thread everything was fine. i have to ask the mods why was this thread open and the private one closed? we should return to the private one so that arguments will not ensue. please.
Private one was closed because the council members lost faith in Ridley being playable. Bad move imo.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
In regards to Chrono's comments about Ridley's fans being demonized.

A) They have been for a while. It just really took off in the post-Brawl era and got progressively louder.

B) That's the fault of the people who choose to demonize us. If they want to lord their bizarre superiority complexes over us for simply having a different outlook on a situation about a freaking video game, let them. I'm over the people who feel the need to go out or their way to troll us. The fact that they can't accept a worldview other than theirs and have generalized all of us based on a few pricks who supported Ridley is their problem. Not ours.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
On a much lighter topic, did anyone else imagine Ridley being an air-based grappler? I imagined him being the only fighter who would be able to grab and throw in the air, and he'd use his big mouth to do it. It would make sense if he had been designed as an inverse Little Mac. Would've been pretty cool. :)

Admittedly though, for how fervently I support Ridley, I have a hard time thinking of a really satisfying special moveset.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
You know something that's not executed enough in Smash? Bouncing. Greninja's Down A is a pretty good start, but it's just a straight drop unless you hit someone on the way down. I'm talking Scrooge McDuck style bouncing wherever you hit with aerial control to boot.

If Ridley was in, I'd hope either his down A or B would involve bouncing on his tail, like in Super Metroid. Could be an interesting way to keep him in the air.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah and no. Even if WiiU version will somehow be hacked like Brawl, this model will require to be fixed in so many ways (shading, blurry textures, upper jaw bone, beak, etc), its gonna take a lot of time and effort for something that might not even work.
If there will be a new Metroid game that won't kill the franchise once and for all (no, Metroid Other M didn't killed it), then it will most likely be thrown out like a rotting cake from the fridge. Bosses and enemies from that game will most likely stay.
On a much lighter topic, did anyone else imagine Ridley being an air-based grappler? I imagined him being the only fighter who would be able to grab and throw in the air, and he'd use his big mouth to do it. It would make sense if he had been designed as an inverse Little Mac. Would've been pretty cool. :)

Admittedly though, for how fervently I support Ridley, I have a hard time thinking of a really satisfying special moveset.
Mouth? No. He never uses that in Metroid games unless you are too close to him in Metroid Prime games. His feet would be better because that is something he did in Super Metroid.
I doubt that could be executed without being overpowered when used in a right way (remember Ice Climbers and their infinite chain grabs and de-synching that allowed them to be top tier characters?).
You know something that's not executed enough in Smash? Bouncing. Greninja's Down A is a pretty good start, but it's just a straight drop unless you hit someone on the way down. I'm talking Scrooge McDuck style bouncing wherever you hit with aerial control to boot.

If Ridley was in, I'd hope either his down A or B would involve bouncing on his tail, like in Super Metroid. Could be an interesting way to keep him in the air.
Like Project M Wario's Down Air (which also has extra GFX and sound when one of the taunt buttons is held if he hits someone) and Link's Down Air (but higher)?
I agree. We should open that social thread and close this one because in this one, everything will just repeat like on GamesFAQ's Ridley is too big threads. And this one will have to be closed very soon. Too bad it will be closed not just because it is too big, but because it is useless.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
...Do any of you remember if Ridley was planned for Melee? I've been having crazy fantasies of creating an HD remake of Melee, with some asthetic changes to the fighters that don't affect their teir placement, and DLC for characters that were scrapped from being in the original. Sonic is in the game as a teaser to this DLC, and these DLC characters are Lucas, King Dedede, Wario, maaaaybe Olimar, and Ridley.

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
If this thread gets closed and the private one opened, could I have an invite? or whatever i'd need to get in? I'd love to be able to keep up on Ridley discussion.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
in my eyes, sakurai has failed to represent the metroid franchise with any justice. did he really think people would be hyped over a character that wasn't playable?! why didn't he just day out flat he was a boss and just be done with it? sakurai couldn't do any other characters justice such as DK, Zelda, and Star Fox. he really doesn't seem to care for proper representation of other franchises. i'm not talking about items or assist trophies. what draws players to these franchises are the characters themselves. it angers me to know that someone like sakurai is making this game and shows that he doesn't care for certain characters as much as the fans do. i'm not even sure he can appreciate what these characters represent to us, because we the fans have taken the damn time to play these games and understand the stories behind these characters and grow to love them for who they are.

all in all, sakurai shows that he doesn't appreciate much of the other franchises history. the way he handled ridley was unprofessional. i really hope for a new smash bros director next time because sakurai just can't handle it.
Its all good man, no need to explode. You're right to an extent, but let's keep in mind that Sakurai delivered on an exceptional high-quality game. His roster choices aren't always the best, but ultimately, he made Smash Bros what it is, and we should be more thankful we got another game than we are. This game is his passion, so to say he doesn't deserve to be its director is an incredible insult. His decisions are not always the smartest, most sensible, most professional or controversy free. But he makes great games and Mewtwo as DLC is proof that he cares, along with Mega Man, Villager, Shulk, removed tripping, For Glory, Omega stages etc.

Sakurai gave us a great game. No game is going to have everything you may want or expect. His handling of Ridley is not as unprofessional as people believe. He hyped him up because he is so dynamic and his execution as a boss is unique and time-consuming to complete. He flat-out told us Ridley would be a boss on April 8th. Most people just didn't want to believe it. They waited til now to show him so that we could at least appreciate how good of a boss he ended up being. Sakurai isn't being mean-spirited or ignoring his fans. He's compromising; he let's us make some decisions, and him and his team make others. We don't deserve the entire say over the game because its not our work; its not our heart and souls being poured into its creation. Its Sakurai and the team. The man has a right to make some choices as he sees fit.

And the way he sees it, Ridley isn't possible. If a new director comes along and decides he is, great. But to push the series creator off his pedestal because we didn't get a character is selfish and exaggerated. If this game wasn't his passion and he didn't appreciate Nintendo's history, we wouldn't have Smash. And if we did, we would get a yearly rehash like CoD or Madden NFL instead of a time-consuming, climactic, well-polished game exploding with new content.

Rant over, I actually liked your post because we share mains in the game, except I put Yoshi slightly above Robin and Shulk.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...Do any of you remember if Ridley was planned for Melee? I've been having crazy fantasies of creating an HD remake of Melee, with some asthetic changes to the fighters that don't affect their teir placement, and DLC for characters that were scrapped from being in the original. Sonic is in the game as a teaser to this DLC, and these DLC characters are Lucas, King Dedede, Wario, maaaaybe Olimar, and Ridley.
No. And i really doubt he would be planned at that time since his role was just a little bit more important than Kraid's (he steals Baby Metroid...and that is the only thing that made him a bit more important at that time), so, it is very unlikely.
Its all good man, no need to explode. You're right to an extent, but let's keep in mind that Sakurai delivered on an exceptional high-quality game. His roster choices aren't always the best, but ultimately, he made Smash Bros what it is, and we should be more thankful we got another game than we are. This game is his passion, so to say he doesn't deserve to be its director is an incredible insult. His decisions are not always the smartest, most sensible, most professional or controversy free. But he makes great games and Mewtwo as DLC is proof that he cares, along with Mega Man, Villager, Shulk, removed tripping, For Glory, Omega stages etc.

Sakurai gave us a great game. No game is going to have everything you may want or expect. His handling of Ridley is not as unprofessional as people believe. He hyped him up because he is so dynamic and his execution as a boss is unique and time-consuming to complete. He flat-out told us Ridley would be a boss on April 8th. Most people just didn't want to believe it. They waited til now to show him so that we could at least appreciate how good of a boss he ended up being. Sakurai isn't being mean-spirited or ignoring his fans. He's compromising; he let's us make some decisions, and him and his team make others. We don't deserve the entire say over the game because its not our work; its not our heart and souls being poured into its creation. Its Sakurai and the team. The man has a right to make some choices as he sees fit.

And the way he sees it, Ridley isn't possible. If a new director comes along and decides he is, great. But to push the series creator off his pedestal because we didn't get a character is selfish and exaggerated. If this game wasn't his passion and he didn't appreciate Nintendo's history, we wouldn't have Smash. And if we did, we would get a yearly rehash like CoD or Madden NFL instead of a time-consuming, climactic, well-polished game exploding with new content.

Rant over, I actually liked your post because we share mains in the game, except I put Yoshi slightly above Robin and Shulk.
It doesn't matters how great game is. Bad things about it should not be ignoret because of that. Artifact Hunting without a guide shouldn't be ignored because Metroid Prime is good and so shouldn't such messed up representation of certain franchises and bad choices be. We should not just eat it up and ignore such noticable issues because "its great and we should be grateful for it". I agree its a great game, but some decisions are clearly bad.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122

don't get me wrong, this game is turning out to be amazing. 8 player smash, online modes, smash boards, music, stage builder. sakurai knows how to make amazing modes. but at the same time, he fails to give proper CHARACTER representation. he even contradicts himself in interviews where franchises with no futures aren't given a priority, yet he adds 3 KI characters, knowing full well that he stated he would not make a sequel.

on top of that, he MUST be aware of the demand for ridley. did he honestly think that fans of the character would be pleased if he was a stage hazard? of course not!!! these fans have been wanting him playable for 15 years. he's an iconic villain for the metroid series, and overall an iconic villain in the nintendo universe. we believe he deserves to fight alongside the nintendo all stars as a playable character. on top of that, sakurai is only feeding the detractors more and the ridley fans get ridiculed for wanted their favorite character in a playable fashion. what is so wrong with people wanting to see their desired character as playable?

most detractors, imo, are very immature and ignorant and just jump on the bandwagon of "he's too big" nonsense. they just believe that they are right, when clearly they are wrong to assume ridley or any character for that matter cannot be playable.

and yes he makes the choices, but at the same time we are his customers. we buy the games with our money. without our support sakurai wouldn't even have much to make smash bros to begin with. as consumers, we should very well be expected to be pleased since we are the ones spending our finances on his product. as a business man, you are selling yourself to people. you are giving up yourself to please them. yes not everything can be made, but if there is a high demand for something in your product, then you better well deliver that demand. otherwise your reputation can be shattered, and your consumers are less likely to trust you in future installments.

i have no faith in sakurai when it comes to the roster. he clearly handled ridley unprofessionally, believing we would be pleased with this abomination. he was wrong. on top of that, its not only ridley that bothered me, its also that he cut characters from franchises that didn't need cuts in the 1st place. star fox, mother; they lost characters that were important to their franchises. and on top of that other underrepresented series didn't get a newcomer who were highly demanded, such as DK and metroid, with king k rool/dixie being the most prominent, and ridley being the only highly demanded character from the metroid series. he even added clones that didn't need to be in, or could've given them unique movesets, but he didn't.

overall, i can't trust this man to make the right choices with characters. i only hope nintendo will step up and do whats right for their fans. its obvious they are listening to their fans, EVO and the E3 tourney show this. this is how you're supposed to please your fans and customers.

did sakurai make a great game? yes
did he make tons of options and customizations and modes for this game? yes.
did he properly give character representation? no. and thats where the problem lies.

that's all i'll say. i don't want to discuss this any further because i don't want this to ensue into an argument. if sakurai proves me wrong with DLC, then i'll happily admit i was wrong. but as of now, this is where i stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom