• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I just came her to give my condolences. Ridley should have been shown a looong time ago, this time last year instead of this stupid parade having gone on for so long. And for what? To hype up the most heavily requested Nintendo newcomer candidate in the West?

Nevertheless, I am honoured to have been part of the All-Star Alliance and I definitely feel that a character like Ridley would have not only been worthy, but also an excellent and appealing character in Smash 4. Hopefully he can be in Project M.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Apparently I got a warning but flaming.... But I wasn't flaming anyone at all, In fact, I was AVOIDING it.... but nvm. Is everyone cooled down since yesterday. I would hate to see a bunch of not happy. Hope everyone is happy again

Last edited:

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Apologies if this ends up being a double-post, but this didn't fit as something that should've been left in my reply to SuperSegaSonicSS

Some of you might remember me posting in here back in September (To link my specific post, http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-dynablad-mite.324284/page-1831#post-17487115) and I'll start by saying, yes, I certainly was a bit too rough or what have you in that post. I was getting tired of everyone doing all they could to try and salvage Ridley as playable when he clearly wasn't, and it was starting to piss me off. Plus it was 1 am and I'm more likely to be blunt when I'm tired. To point out to everyone here, it's not that I don't like Ridley. I'm not saying Metroid doesn't need another rep, or that he's a terrible idea for Smash. But when I came here a month ago to tell you all why it's not happening and why you needed to accept it, it's because he wouldn't actually be Ridley if he was playable.

(dropping this next bit into a spoiler because it's all info restated from my linked post, but more civilly worded, so read this if you didn't see my original post)
To start with, he'd be noticeably too small - yes, the Dorf got shrunk for Smash, but his height wasn't halved, and even if it was, he isn't a behemoth like Ridley. If you go and actually look at a thumbnail of Ridley in the Melee opening, he looks incredibly unnatural at that size. The other problem is something Sakurai has said himself - while they could totally put Ridley in if they put a ton of work into it, he'd also be incredibly slow. Slow isn't one of the things that comes to mind when I think about Ridley. What I'm trying to say is, if my most wanted character got in the game, but wasn't even remotely what one should expect from them, I'd be pissed. If Shantae made it in and it turned out she was actually a lumbering brawler-type, I'd be pissed as all hell. Same should go for you guys and Ridley - do you want to play as an itty-bitty, slow as all hell Ridley?

At the very least, you guys are still taking it better than the NO YOSHI NO BUY crowd, but I can tell you're hurting more than you should be. I tried to warn you, and you didn't listen. You wrote me off as nothing more than a hater and/or troll, when I was simply pointing out that it was clear from the start that he would be a stage boss and that you needed to stop being so adamant that he must be playable, in an effort to prevent exactly this from happening. You've no one to blame but yourselves.

To be honest, I would totally say I'm sorry for your most-wanted character not making it in, but your want of Ridley graduated past wishful thinking and turned into tinfoil hat central. Trust me, I know the feeling of desperately wanting a character in *cough*Shantae*cough*, but part of that is accepting that there's every chance you aren't going to get them. At least then, you'll be a lot less disappointed when they aren't in, or pleasantly surprised if they are. In Ridley's case, you SHOULD be feeling a mix of both - slight disappointment due to wanting him in, but not too much because you already accepted it was a long shot from the start, and some joy that at least he made it in in an arguably bigger role than Brawl.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
At the very least, you guys are still taking it better than the NO YOSHI NO BUY crowd, but I can tell you're hurting more than you should be. I tried to warn you, and you didn't listen. You wrote me off as nothing more than a hater and/or troll, when I was simply pointing out that it was clear from the start that he would be a stage boss and that you needed to stop being so adamant that he must be playable, in an effort to prevent exactly this from happening. You've no one to blame but yourselves.

To be honest, I would totally say I'm sorry for your most-wanted character not making it in, but your want of Ridley graduated past wishful thinking and turned into tinfoil hat central. Trust me, I know the feeling of desperately wanting a character in *cough*Shantae*cough*, but part of that is accepting that there's every chance you aren't going to get them. At least then, you'll be a lot less disappointed when they aren't in, or pleasantly surprised if they are. In Ridley's case, you SHOULD be feeling a mix of both - slight disappointment due to wanting him in, but not too much because you already accepted it was a long shot from the start, and some joy that at least he made it in in an arguably bigger role than Brawl.
The impressive majority of the Ridley fanbase that I know and love feels exactly that way, though. We had a lot of fun speculating, even if we had our reservations all the way through, and I would defy anybody to say that we wouldn't go through it all over again.

I can take or leave Ridley as a playable character. It's the community that I support.

GGoldMile

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5842-2466

Going for a stretch guys!

We know that DLC for characters is a thing now (the whole deal with Mewtwo) so is there still a chance that our favourite space pirate is still able to take a slot? Take this as a grain of salt though, nothing is confirmed - just trying to believe that he still has a chance :)

Tell me what you guys think! :D
#RIDLEY4DLC

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

We know that DLC for characters is a thing now (the whole deal with Mewtwo) so is there still a chance that our favourite space pirate is still able to take a slot? Take this as a grain of salt though, nothing is confirmed - just trying to believe that he still has a chance :)

#RIDLEY4DLC
You realize that's his tail, right?

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet

#RIDLEY4DLC
That's his tail... You can even compare it to the image you have.

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
The Ridley in the April Direct is nothing like the Ridley we just saw. Meaning he has grown larger AND become more smoother in ways of animation (not as flimsy as in the shadow in the April Direct).

I just don't believe in DLC to be fair, I think it really is over for Ridley in Smash 4. I hate to say it, but Sakurai and Nintendo are a bunch of jerks for handling this situation so poorly. It has been mentioned before in thread, that we were kept on a string and continously harassed. I even think Bill Trinen's Barney the Dinosaur joke was distasteful, I can see for some how it could have been fun, but no.. Just no.

For Ridley to fight alongside anyone else is a great injustice, sure, Smash isn't canon as we've stated many times before. But if Sakurai says that it is of great importance to represent characters as the way they are in their respective game then this is just a false claim. This is not just for Ridley, but also for Ganondorf who seemingly hasn't gotten anything that actually comes from the original games.

I wish not to hear about people coming onto me saying "lolol you got ridely in sm4ash be happy" or "I tuld yuo so LAWL" because that is sheer bullcrap. Up until now, thanks to the poorly handled situation Ridley had such a huge amount of chance to become an additional character.

I am glad for the amazing features this game brings, don't get me wrong on this, I love it. But the characters we've gotten is just majorly disappointing for someone who grew up with Nintendo. I for one wish that each big franchise had a villian (Here's looking at Metroid and Donkey Kong) but instead we get punished for loving these characters by detractors and haters.

This really leads me to whoever mentions Ridley with a smile on their face to be punched in the face, thats how emotionally unstable I am right not regarding the subject.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The Ridley in the April Direct is nothing like the Ridley we just saw. Meaning he has grown larger AND become more smoother in ways of animation (not as flimsy as in the shadow in the April Direct).

I just don't believe in DLC to be fair, I think it really is over for Ridley in Smash 4. I hate to say it, but Sakurai and Nintendo are a bunch of jerks for handling this situation so poorly. It has been mentioned before in thread, that we were kept on a string and continously harassed. I even think Bill Trinen's Barney the Dinosaur joke was distasteful, I can see for some how it could have been fun, but no.. Just no.

For Ridley to fight alongside anyone else is a great injustice, sure, Smash isn't canon as we've stated many times before. But if Sakurai says that it is of great importance to represent characters as the way they are in their respective game then this is just a false claim. This is not just for Ridley, but also for Ganondorf who seemingly hasn't gotten anything that actually comes from the original games.

I wish not to hear about people coming onto me saying "lolol you got ridely in sm4ash be happy" or "I tuld yuo so LAWL" because that is sheer bullcrap. Up until now, thanks to the poorly handled situation Ridley had such a huge amount of chance to become an additional character.

I am glad for the amazing features this game brings, don't get me wrong on this, I love it. But the characters we've gotten is just majorly disappointing for someone who grew up with Nintendo. I for one wish that each big franchise had a villian (Here's looking at Metroid and Donkey Kong) but instead we get punished for loving these characters by detractors and haters.

This really leads me to whoever mentions Ridley with a smile on their face to be punched in the face, thats how emotionally unstable I am right not regarding the subject.
Being that emotionaly unhappy isnt healthy.... I just want everyone to be happy about what they got.. is that so hard to ask... this sorta thing makes me so sad..

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Everyone's sitting here acting like this is news. I'm pretty sure we knew since April that he'd be a stage element.

A really cool and involved stage element, but a stage element nonetheless.

However. (And I've been preaching this since April...) There are multiple Ridley incarnations in Metroid canon, so having two different ones (one as a boss, one as playable) isn't impossible. Far fetched, yeah, but not impossible. It'd be like playing as Donkey Kong on 75m, or if Alfonzo didn't replace Conductor Link in the Spirit Train.

It's looking pretty unlikely, yeah. But there are still pieces that don't fit. Like the way Sakurai handled this situation to begin with. He knows, based on fan reaction to assist trophies like Waluigi, that if a popular request is not fully playable, then the fans will not be satisfied with that. I maintain that if Sakurai truly wanted to leave no room for doubt, he would have said outright "Ridley is a stage element and a stage element only, and we're not showing him because he's not complete yet."

And with character DLC confirmed, anything's possible.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
At the moment, I'm not even bothered with how Ridley was included (though I am interested to see a Famitsu interview where Sakurai explains this action).
The thing that I am surprised about the most are how quite a number of Mewtwo fans are acting a bit *cough* hostile towards Ridley supporters as if this were a competition. "SUCK IT" "WE WON" I really hope this doesn't happen with other character supporters like K. Rool and such when DLC is confirmed for them.

Last edited:

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Warning Received

Remember how I said you guys were taking this better than the NO YOSHI NO BUY crowd just a bit ago?

Apparently I was wrong. Not all of you are. In fact, this is somehow worse.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad

He looks wrong... very wrong actually...
This is exactly why I was saying we shouldn't want Ridley playable, not when Other M is the aesthetic in place for this game. I mean, how many of you guys REALLY want to play as this?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
At the moment, I'm not even bothered with how Ridley was included (though I am interested to see a Famitsu interview where Sakurai explains this action).
The thing that I am surprised about the most are how quite a number of Mewtwo fans are acting a bit *cough* hostile towards Ridley supporters as if this were a competition. "SUCK IT" "WE WON" I really hope this doesn't happen with other character supporters like K. Rool and such when DLC is confirmed for them.
I doubt it. DK and Metroid fans seem to go hand in hand when it comes to supporting the character, as both fanbases are in a similar boat. Unlike Mewtwo, the other two big 3 have yet to be playable, and are a part of franchises in desperate need of more representation. Also, K.Rool fans strike me as the most mature, and organized fanbase, so I don't expect to much trolling, and hating.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is exactly why I was saying we shouldn't want Ridley playable, not when Other M is the aesthetic in place for this game. I mean, how many of you guys REALLY want to play as this?
I'd still be happy to play as Other M Ridley honestly, as long as they animated him properly. Plus, it'd be an investment into the future, once the next Smash rolls around a new Metroid game is likely to have been released and will also likely have a new design for Ridley.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I guess you guys really need a Sakurai interview saying "he is too big" for it to really sink in. There's a difference between being a supporter and being desperate. Even if Sakurai said he isn't in the game because he is "too big, hard to implement" or anything else, you would all still sit here dreaming, admirable I guess, also kind of hilarious.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I guess you guys really need a Sakurai interview saying "he is too big" for it to really sink in. There's a difference between being a supporter and being desperate. Even if Sakurai said he isn't in the game because he is "too big, hard to implement" or anything else, you would all still sit here dreaming, admirable I guess, also kind of hilarious.
People here aren't desperate, just persistent wanting their voices to be heard. Megaman got in because the fans persisted. Even if Sakurai says he's too "big", he also said Villager was too "peaceful" for Smash. Point is, Sakurai is still human and can change his mind on any matter. This isn't a Goku or Shrek situation where licensing is an actual road block, its all on Sakurai to make the choice when it comes to Ridley.

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman

#RIDLEY4DLC
From Sakurai himself in April "Please keep in mind that the games are still under development so everything you see might change"

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
I doubt it. DK and Metroid fans seem to go hand in hand when it comes to supporting the character, as both fanbases are in a similar boat. Unlike Mewtwo, the other two big 3 have yet to be playable, and are a part of franchises in desperate need of more representation. Also, K.Rool fans strike me as the most mature, and organized fanbase, so I don't expect to much trolling, and hating.
I'll agree on that one. I can see why the Mewtwo base would do it (seeing as he was already in one, meaning greater chance) but with K. Rool, he's as unlikely as Ridley, so they wouldn't have any reason to be that way. Honestly, I was a Mewtwo supporter, but I was also running on "if he isn't in this time, then he's clearly gone for good," so I'm not gonna be like "SUCK IT, MEWTWO MADE IT IN". The only "I told you sos" I'll give are from the standpoint that he was clearly a boss in the April Direct, so those here who are emotionally distraught over this (and I really wish that was an exaggeration) kinda brought this on themselves. I mean, you don't see me crying over no Shantae reveal, even though she, too, is a tremendously unlikely addition.

I'd still be happy to play as Other M Ridley honestly, as long as they animated him properly. Plus, it'd be an investment into the future, once the next Smash rolls around a new Metroid game is likely to have been released and will also likely have a new design for Ridley.
If they can redesign him in a way where he remains intimidating, but at a size where he could reasonably fit in Smash (pun not intended, I did mean that seriously) then I won't have any issues on that. My problem was that I knew we'd be getting this horrible duck ridley and that he'd be slow as all hell, and that's a big problem to me - even though I'm not part of the Ridley fanbase, I don't want a character to get added in in such a way that they don't feel like their actual character, if that makes sense.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Remember how I said you guys were taking this better than the NO YOSHI NO BUY crowd just a bit ago?

Apparently I was wrong. Not all of you are. In fact, this is somehow worse.
If you read it, I did state that I love the game and will play it nonetheless, or perhaps you were reading something else and accidentally decided to quote and reply me?

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
People here aren't desperate, just persistent wanting their voices to be heard. Megaman got in because the fans persisted. Even if Sakurai says he's too "big", he also said Villager was too "peaceful" for Smash. Point is, Sakurai is still human and can change his mind on any matter. This isn't a Goku or Shrek situation where licensing is an actual road block, its all on Sakurai to make the choice when it comes to Ridley.
This is all true, but I'm pretty sure he made the choice, unless he wants giant fighters in his game, I don't see him shrinking him down to please a certain group. Does anyone else?

And it IS a bit desperate...

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm really interested in Sakurai's comments about Ridley, so I do hope he says something about him at some point. Even if he just says that "I think he's just too big to be playable" or whatever.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
I still want Ridley in. His icon in the results screen isn't the other M model. That is the only reason I still say he has a chance. Otherwise... Man Little Mac is so much fun to play as! SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
"you don't see me crying over no Shantae reveal"

The only real issue with this is not that you love this character, which I totally respect and do not flame you for - But that the issue here is that Shantae as far as I know comes from a minor gameboy title, whilst Metroid is considered one of the major titles of Nintendo which has yet to get another representation, that isn't a dressed down one of the same character.

Seeing as Metroid has few characters to choose from, especially villians, Ridley is the only one that makes sense.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
A couple of PotDs serve as proof that Sakurai doesn't buy into the idea that Ridley needs to stay to scale with Samus or whatever. He didn't mention Ridley specifically, but he did say "Smash doesn't stay true to scale."

The idea that other characters can change size at will yet Ridley is too big to be playable is an egregious double standard, and nothing more.

Just like the idea that other playable characters can have dual roles but Ridley can't.

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I would be just speechless if Sakurai only said he was "too big" to be playable. Any professional game/character designer should have the ability to solve issues such as making proportion work, etc. It's a part of their job to do so. I'm a bit convinced his reason for not including him is similar to the Ice Climber situation and it would could performance issues.
And FYI for some people who probably didn't know, but the size of the character doesn't effect performance, the amount of polygons in the model does and other, more technical things.

Last edited:

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
If you read it, I did state that I love the game and will play it nonetheless, or perhaps you were reading something else and accidentally decided to quote and reply me?
No, I did mean you. I don't think you grasp what I was saying - I wasn't saying you aren't going to buy the game, but this is worse than that because you're somehow emotionally distraught over the lack of a character making it into a game. Shantae's my most wanted, but I accept she's insanely unlikely to happen, so there's no disappointment if she's never added, and a pleasant surprise if she is. But in your case, even though he was an unlikely addition from the start, the April Direct made it clear that Ridley was a stage boss. You weren't "strung along" about Ridley, and you sure as hell weren't harassed about him by Nintendo.

I take it by "strung along," you're referring to things Sakurai said that you somehow decided to interpret as being hints at Ridley, EG "There's always someone bigger" and the Kihunter trophy. As I stated in my post from September, the pattern on the trophies in the Direct and their connection to the game were Playable (Fire Emblem girl/Robin/Lucina), Assist (Fi/Girahim), Playable (Pseudo/Palutena), and then the Kihunter trophy, representing either the Dark Samus assist, which I'm 99% sure we didn't know about until that Direct, or Ridley as a stage boss who also functions as an assist. As far as "There's always someone bigger," what the hell was that? It's not like that's a line of dialogue from a Metroid game used to describe Ridley. If it was, then it would be totally reasonable to take that as a hint, but here we are, with Ridley confirmed as exactly what most of us expected him to be (except for him being the Wii U's Flying Man, but still) and you're saying you're going to punch people in the face for talking about Ridley because you're emotionally unstable from this confirmation of something that should've surprised literally no one. This is infinitely worse than people somehow thinking one of the Original 12 was cut and saying they wouldn't buy the game if Yoshi was gone.

Shog

Smash Ace
My final words on this:
I am not really disappointed for Ridley as a boss. Simply because he is SO WELL MADE. Like, look at how much effort got into him.

I know this isn't much for the competitive side here, but I would love doing a 3 or more(:D) vs 1 + Ridley team fight. That would be fun I think!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This thread seems to be getting pretty ugly...come on, guys, we're better than that.

Wouldn't it be in everybody's best interests to just let bygones be bygones? Playing Captain Hindsight and saying that everything was obvious from the get-go doesn't solve anything, nor does getting emotionally charged because this particularly character didn't make it as a fully-fledged playable member of thr roster.

I'm taking my leave from this thread because I don't know of what is left for me to contribute. As I said before, I don't support Ridley for Ridley, I support the community for the community.

Space Pirates don't falter.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
"you don't see me crying over no Shantae reveal"

The only real issue with this is not that you love this character, which I totally respect and do not flame you for - But that the issue here is that Shantae as far as I know comes from a minor gameboy title, whilst Metroid is considered one of the major titles of Nintendo which has yet to get another representation, that isn't a dressed down one of the same character.

Seeing as Metroid has few characters to choose from, especially villians, Ridley is the only one that makes sense.
While true that Shantae is a relatively obscure series, it's been gaining steam lately. The original being added to the eShop was quite a surprise, as well as Pirate's Curse being front and center on the E3 page and being a Nintendo Power cover story. Plus, the weirdness of putting out a Smash Direct on the same day as the new game for a character who would be perfectly fitting in Smash struck me as odd. Did I hope for a Shantae reveal? Of course, but I also knew it was probably just wishful thinking and went in knowing full well there wouldn't be a reveal for her.

A couple of PotDs serve as proof that Sakurai doesn't buy into the idea that Ridley needs to stay to scale with Samus or whatever. He didn't mention Ridley specifically, but he did say "Smash doesn't stay true to scale."

The idea that other characters can change size at will yet Ridley is too big to be playable is an egregious double standard, and nothing more.

Just like the idea that other playable characters can have dual roles but Ridley can't.
Except these other characters are ones who aren't a consistent size in the first place, sans Dorf and Olimar. If you go back to my September post I detail all this - Smash is about trophies fighting, more than ever now, and an Olimar trophy wouldn't be to scale because no one wants a tiny trophy of Olimar, but a Ridley trophy would clearly be a big special edition trophy and a wonderful display piece.

Why they make the icon for Ridley of Brawl instead of Ridley from Other M?
Ever heard of placeholders? We still have a month, this is a tiny detail that would take all of five seconds to change, so it's fine if they left that in this close to release. Now, if it RELEASES and it's still the Brawl icon, THEN you're on to something.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I would be just speechless if Sakurai only said he was "too big" to be playable. Any professional game/character designer should have the ability to solve issues such as making proportion work, etc. It's a part of their job to do so. I'm a bit convinced his reason for not including him is similar to the Ice Climber situation and it would could performance issues.
And FYI for some people who probably didn't know, but the size of the character doesn't effect performance, the amount of polygons in the model does and other, more technical things.
It's not his job to shrink a character when their whole thing is being a big badass boss just because a group wants that character in.

He can do and not do anything he wants, not having Ridley playable won't affect sales, everyone here will buy one if not both versions. He doesn't have to do anything.

I feel bad for the supporters that don't act like entitled 15 yr olds, makes this whole support thread look bad.

I can't wait for Sakurai to say he isn't in because he's too big, I don't think he "trolled" this group, I think he hinted that Ridley was a stage boss and you all got way ahead of yourselves and stated speculating when there was nothing left to discuss. Now, at this point if Sakurai still didn't straight out say "Ridley won't be playable", and gives you false hope when there is already so much here, then he's just trolling haha

GoldenBoy25

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldenBoy12
3DS FC
5043-3152-3802
Nintendo continues to neglect the Metroid franchise as a whole. Instead, we get 6 Pokemon reps shoved down our throats. I was really hoping for Ridley as a playable character...but this is Nintendo's pattern.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo continues to neglect the Metroid franchise as a whole. Instead, we get 6 Pokemon reps shoved down our throats. I was really hoping for Ridley as a playable character...but this is Nintendo's pattern.
Pokemon is a popular franchise, like top 3 for Nintendo, with a lot of options for playable characters. Metroid....is probably in the top 10, maybe? And is very limited when it comes to characters. Nothing is getting shoved down anyone's throat lol.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well we may have lost this ridley but reminder

I believe there a awareness of dlc confirmed

So possible the super metroid ridley and smaller than than boss hazard ridley for dlc

Top Bottom