• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Guys, a secret informer called "Mr. R" told me tomorrow's picture of the day deconfirms Ridley, so be prepared.
Is this the same guy who told you the same thing twice two weeks ago, and then once again before that, using the word "tomorrow" each time?

I don't think Ridley grabbed Pikachu in that video, though it definitly looks like he jumped near the end, no?
Pikachu's jump at the end was supposedly him escaping Ridley's grab. Characters jump free from grabs in Brawl, especially after off-ledge grabbing.

This is one of the stupidest arguments going for Ridley. Apparently bosses can't grab characters? We don't even know what Bossley does yet.
I believe the argument was that a boss wouldn't grab a character and hold them still without doing any damage for such a period of time like the guy analyzed. Correct me if I'm wrong here, that's just what a gathered.

Wouldn't Ridley throw everyone around like, well, Ridley? I believe that's the argument he's trying to get.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Is this the same guy who told you the same thing twice two weeks ago, and then once again before that, using the word "tomorrow" each time?

Pikachu's jump at the end was supposedly him escaping Ridley's grab. Characters jump free from grabs in Brawl, especially after off-ledge grabbing.

I believe the argument was that a boss wouldn't grab a character and hold them still without doing any damage for such a period of time like the guy analyzed. Correct me if I'm wrong here, that's just what a gathered.

Wouldn't Ridley throw everyone around like, well, Ridley? I believe that's the argument he's trying to get.
This.
Thank you good sir for your logic.

NNID
Majorasmask66
So if ridley gets playable, how do you think he should play? i think he should be an ariel grappler meaning hes a grappler with a good air game. He should be able to grab people while in the air.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I did. He said he held Pikachu but did nothing. But I see how that proves him real.

I'm not a detractor, it's just that it gets really annoying when people grasp for straws.
Well, that wasn't strawgrasping. Bosses are active when they grab a character. That shadow did nothing.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Imo, we can't say this is real or fake because:
1. This is a post from 2013 and for all we know the creator could be long gone.
2. He could've just put Ridley there to mess with people who seen it
3. Everybody he named besides Ridley has been confirmed or leaked
4. It doesn't say edited anywhere.
Then again.... Mewtwo, Chorus Kids, and Dixie isn't on it so it must be fake (Not serious about this part btw).

It deconfirms Ridley but confirms Ghetsis, right? :p
Correction, 2014, not 2013.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Let's just all wait for the bomb to drop or hope Ridley gets a trailer before then, like he should have early august. Mzybe Ridley will be Mewtwo hard.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
I, for one believe Ridley grabbed Pikachu. You can see Pika jumping free.
I also think Ridley grabbed Pikachu, but in the next 4 days we'll see. Unless Nintendo has a nice video of Mario and Samus doing a tag battle in a CGI video against Bowser Jr and Ridley. Just imagine it...

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
I'm inclined to believe the Pastebin post is fake; I looked up the poster's username and found him on Smashboards debating rumours after the post is made, seemingly with the same knowledge as everyone else. The post itself seems a bit off; I can't quite figure out why, but it doesn't settle with me for some reason. I beleieve a post was made on this date since Greenreapergod is definitely active in leak threads around this time, but there could have been any glitch or workaround that caused the edits to not show.

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
So if ridley gets playable, how do you think he should play? i think he should be an ariel grappler meaning hes a grappler with a good air game. He should be able to grab people while in the air.
Almost like Flying Slam but,... far more intense. But yet he should have a poor ground game, meaning Little Mac will pulverize him if he gets too close.

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
I can understand the likes of DHD or Bowser Jr not being revealed in advance, but Ridley, specially to a Western audience would generate loads of hype and even just discussion if revealed, I don't know why Nintendo wouldn't play their Ridley card if they have one.

I still want a valid reason why people think the biggest 1st party character won't be revealed in advance, people keep bringing it up and don't say why apart from Nintendo want it to be a secret, if they wanted Ridley to be a secret they wouldn't have teased him. Sorry for going off on a tangent I just need a valid reason why people keep bringing this up. Not trying to come across as aggressive, everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but people normally at least have a reason for them.
I personally wonder if they had planned to reveal Ridley and Shulk on the same day, with Ridly for the west and Shulk for the East, but then when the big leak, they decided to keep Ridley a secret, so that there are still some surprises in the roster.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I forget who (sorry), but, awhile ago, someone brought up an interesting potential mechanic.
What if Ridley had a flight mechanic of sorts, but the more damage he took the less time he could spend in the air? Like in Metroid Prime when you fight him, but more gradual.
His wings could even show visual damage to show make it clearer.
It'd be an interesting way of giving Ridley enough flight capabilities to still be "in character," while still not being that overpowered.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Almost like Flying Slam but,... far more intense. But yet he should have a poor ground game, meaning Little Mac will pulverize him if he gets too close.
If we are to judge him based on the footage we've seen, it's very clear to see that he IS an aerial fighter. He even grabbed Pikachu mid-flight, something only he has been able to do so far.

NNID
Majorasmask66
If thats the case, little mac vs ridley should make for an interesting match up. The big master of the air vs the small master of the ground.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I personally wonder if they had planned to reveal Ridley and Shulk on the same day, with Ridly for the west and Shulk for the East, but then when the big leak, they decided to keep Ridley a secret, so that there are still some surprises in the roster.
To be completely honest I think that Shulk was meant to be revealed the day of the the Fire Emblem/ Captain Falcon reveal, but all the "we know it's Shulk" with a good mix of the whole "We know we have Chrom" talk made them switch it up for a giggle. Having that trailer, then finishing up with a Ridley trailer would make the most sense with how they've gone about things. Ridley as a last of the last trailers would keep the biggest Western discussion going as long as possible without him just because revealed by off angle grainy rubbish phone photos after release.

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
Incidentally, when I googled '"Greenreapergod" Ridley', I found a few seemingly cached posts posted to Pastebin by the same guy, all posted on the same day as the 'leak', but all no longer available. They have some snippets of text that seem to contradict each other, but it's near impossible to tell the context.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
To be completely honest I think that Shulk was meant to be revealed the day of the the Fire Emblem/ Captain Falcon reveal, but all the "we know it's Shulk" with a good mix of the whole "We know we have Chrom" talk made them switch it up for a giggle. Having that trailer, then finishing up with a Ridley trailer would make the most sense with how they've gone about things. Ridley as a last of the last trailers would keep the biggest Western discussion going as long as possible without him just because revealed by off angle grainy rubbish phone photos after release.
Actually Robin and cap were revealed on a fire emblem game an f zeo x anniversaries.

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
I could see that being the case. Either way, Ridley is in, so it doesn't really matter too much.

EDIT: Wow, I sounded way too cocky about that. Sorry

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Okay i read this on gamefaqs and just made me wish it was real

after the screen with the smash logo ends we see Samus and Lucario fighting on the Pyrosphere both evenly matched but when they use the charge beam and aura sphere they suddenly stop before heading back to the attack's creators after both withstand the blows and the smoke clears the see a ominous figure emerging.

Mewtwo strikes back!

It then cuts to gameplay footage showing that Mewtwo has excellent reach with the only drawback being that only a few of his attacks are good for close combat. Cut back to cgi as Mewtwo sends Lucario flying and is about to finish off Samus when he sees a fireball coming at them. Mewtwo doges but Samus didn't and is sent flying Mewtwo finds the source of the attack in the hole Sakurai showed us long ago as two eyes start glowing and prepares to attack.

Ridley steals the spotlight!

Cue gameplay as it's shown that Ridley is the biggest fighter being a head above bowser and due to his lanky figure has amazing reach because of it. it is also shown that Ridley's entire playstyle is air movement with midair grabs to keep Mewtwo in his reach along with midair smash attacks.

Cut back to cg as Mewtwo lands on the ground weakly and tries to use a shadow ball witch Ridley doges not knowing that he was not the intended target. cue the shadow ball hitting a smash ball breaking it and Mewtwo then starts his final smash Mega Mewtwo Y. cut to gameplay footage that shows while Mewteo Y is lighter he makes up for it by being faster, having stronger attacks, and less of a gap between him and his attacks. During this it also shows Ridley's weakness while he is big he is not heavy and like Little Mac when taken out of his element he is near useless. However once Mewtwo's final smash runs out the weakened Ridley takes his chance to break a smash ball of his final smash Space Pirate Armada where a army of space pirates with looks from every Metroid game attacks with a variety of weapons. Cut back to cg as both opponents are shown clearly weakened but Ridley charges forward with a fireball in his mouth while Mewtwo Charges a shadow ball as both opponents are about to colide the video ends with the smash 4 logo. and then a P.S showing that clone Ridley will be the boss of Pyrosphere.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
But as soon as they announced the trailer it was confirmed to 3 minutes long. Shulk's trailer was much shorter.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I like

RIDLEY LOOMS

best as his splash text, I think.

Captures the shadow teasing and how frightening he is in a single word, and is better than any of the size crap people reference.

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
I like

RIDLEY LOOMS

best as his splash text, I think.

Captures the shadow teasing and how frightening he is in a single word, and is better than any of the size crap people reference.
"Ridley dawns into battle"

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Am i the only one that thinks that Meta-Ridley in Brawl looks silly? like seriously it looks like he's wearing metal underwear or something.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Shulk's banner isn't down yet, I'm starting to worry that we might not see a glorious Ridley trailer. :(

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
"Ridley Looms Big" does have a nice ring to it all things considered.

Really? How was it confirmed that length.
Even thought, you could not watch the trailer, the YouTube video player was up there for the weekend.

You can also go back a couple million pages, and see some post saying.
"3 minutes, thats pretty BIG. for a trailer. it's Ridley!!!!"
But it is obvious Ridley will have a 10 minute long trailer.

Top Bottom