• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I see only image itself. Where do you read all of that text included with PotDs?
Go to Miiverse, click on verified users, and pick Sakurai's post. Can't link because Miiverse is not nice to my smartphone. The important thing is that you can play All Star on your first playthrough, unlockable chars get added as you unlock them.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
How about we think of Codec Conversations? This time, it's different though. Everyone gets a different character that talks about their foes, Toads help the Mario crew, Slippy for the star fox guys/Or Krystal for Fox I don't know. So everyone gets a codec call gimmick. Ridley time.
Shulk: What is this unique monster?
Dunban: That is Ridley, he's not a Mechon, but has been half machine before! Watch out Shulk! Ridley attacks like a monster but is willing to strategize. A bit like a Telethia in fact.
Shulk: So he can read my mind? Monado Purge should work
Dunban: Not really, as it's because of his intelligence he is able to predict moves. Just try hitting him, he may be massive, but stay focused, stay sharp! Show this Cunning God of Death what it feels like to die!
Shulk: Wait, he's a god?
Dunban: Just get on with it
I just want Pit and Palutena to have some conversations.

Pit: WOAH! That guy looks fierce!
Palutena: That's Ridley, and you're right to be scared of him. This space pirate captain has defied death many times.
Pit: So just like me huh? Hehehe...
Palutena: But you didn't kill a little girl's parents did you?
Pit: Ouch... No...

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
My thoughts on the roster order issue.

If the roster is weird and dumb enough to show Yoshi cutting in the middle of the Mario row and the clones in their own little time out corner, I feel like the Metroid series having characters on two rows is not far fetched.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It be okay. Just replacement til I get this art done. Need to get the size sorted. It'll be altered soon. ;)
Ok then...
Go to Miiverse, click on verified users, and pick Sakurai's post. Can't link because Miiverse is not nice to my smartphone. The important thing is that you can play All Star on your first playthrough, unlockable chars get added as you unlock them.
Then that commercial means nothing to Ridley's plans chances since he could have been locked. Its not something that could never happen. And thanks for the info on where to get PotD text.[/quote]

Could someone draw this:
Someone from /v/ said:
I had a dream that Ridley was in and he fought like a wrestler.

Clotheslines, dropkicks, back body drops, headlocks, etc.

Oh and he used his wings for cool dodges and hovering.

I need to draw him diving off the turnbuckle in the ring stage now.
At least draw him using powerbomb or that Siberian something Zangief can use on Samus.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I keep hearing arguments that the pics were taken at different moments in playing the game does anyone have any opinions on that?
If there is some major different between the leak and today's picture, I'm not seeing it.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
My thoughts on the roster order issue.

If the roster is weird and dumb enough to show Yoshi cutting in the middle of the Mario row and the clones in their own little time out corner, I feel like the Metroid series having characters on two rows is not far fetched.
That roster probably isn't even finished yet anyway in terms of layout, so Yoshi will probably get his own spot later.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I keep hearing arguements that the pics were taken at different moments in pkaying the game does anyone have any opinions on that?
It's all apart of one big video for the ESRB and since we got a rating back in July we can come to the conclusion that this is rather old. It's also completely fine to give the ESRB and unfinished game if the basics are all there, if something does arise after it's all said and done that can be deemed inappropriate they can easily change the rating to suit their needs.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
While it is possible there are remaining characters, I doubt Ridley could sneak behind ZSS : it would break the roster's pattern

Now you could say "But the roster's shape could completely change !"

However :

We hit a wall if we don't add another column ; Bowser Jr, Wario and G&W push DK and Diddy to the next row, Ganondorf helps pushing Pit and Palutena below.

The CSS follows a logic as many found out in the Leak thread ; the pattern won't break, EXCEPT if there is another column added. If that's the case, it'll either be K. Rool or Ridley getting the spot, and Mario and co. getting another rep to fill the top row.
It's not impossible, but Ridley is in a tough spot actually...
We'll see in ten days anyway.
I am deeply sorry but this has to be the dumbest argument against Ridley. Oh look guys we can't have Ridley because he doesn't fit on the character selection screen! Damn... Game over I guess.

You really think THAT's a problem? We got freaking professional game devs. over here. The least we should wory about is where Ridley's placed on the character selection screen rofl. Sakurai could even place him in the same box as Mii fighters who the **** actually cares? Would the sells decreae? I don't care if the selection screen is a complete mess if my characters are playable lmao not like I'm spending a lot of time on it.

Goddddddddd common you guys. XD

Last edited:
I am deeply sorry but this has to be the dumbest argument against Ridley. Oh look guys we can't have Ridley because he doesn't fit on the character selection screen! Damn... Game over I guess.

You really think THAT's a problem? We got freaking professional game devs. over here. The least we should wory about is where Ridley's placed on the character selection screen rofl. Sakurai could even place him in the same box as Mii fighters who the **** actually cares? Would the sells decreae? I don't care if the selection screen is a complete mess if my characters are playable lmao not like I'm spending a lot of time on it.

Goddddddddd common you guys. XD

I do agree with you that it is possible to fit him in.

We have seen that it is possible for Ridley to fit in through mock ups.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
If you add one DK rep and one Zelda rep it pushed the Metroid franchise down, making room for Ridley. However this screws the rest of the roster: We need another character in the same row unless we move the whole Fire Emblem franchise behind Kirby, which seems unlikely. Doing so would put the Kirby franchise in front of the next row, with Little Mac in the middle, which doesn't happen with any other single rep so high in the roster.

This could be improved, but it would have to look similar unless we start switching out places or changing up the shape of the roster. Anyone got ideas how it could work without doing that?

The roster is ordered chronologically. You have the multi rep franchises (Mario to DK to Zelda, etc.) the Single rep franchises (G&W, Punch Out, Duck Hunt) Third parties (Pacman, Megaman, Sonic) as well as the clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina) all in their order of appearance.

This can be done dozens of ways. As long as the pattern is kept, the organization is fine.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord

I do agree with you that it is possible to fit him in.

We have seen that it is possible for Ridley to fit in through mock ups.
Nah bruh. Ridley is to purple for smashrun. It wouldn't work.

Nah bruh. Ridley wouldn't fit on the screen when you press pause.

The problems man. It's too much!

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, it seems that my analysis was indeed correct. Looks like 5 characters is the magic number per allstar round. I knew something was suspicious, but allstar without all the characters does seem awesome. Question is: Do you unlock a character for playing allstar mode? If so you would have to redo it at some point, if you're a completionist that is.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
If Sakurai indeed includes Ridley (I am convinced he did), I think it would be for more than just pleasing the fans. I think what Sakurai wants to do is desolve any skepticism of Nintendo characters getting in. I think he wants to instill onto everyone the sense that anyone can be in Smash. I believe he likes the wild speculation that goes on for his games before release, and wants to maintain them by giving us unpredictable characters like WFT, and heavily debated characters like Ridley. Speculation keeps the hype going, and I know he wants that.

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Hmmm, it seems that my analysis was indeed correct. Looks like 5 characters is the magic number per allstar round. I knew something was suspicious, but allstar without all the characters does seem awesome. Question is: Do you unlock a character for playing allstar mode? If so you would have to redo it at some point, if you're a completionist that is.
Maybe playing all stars mode with every character and by doing so, you can unlock the last character perhaps? As someone who's kinda a completionist, I would end up replaying all stars mode constantly with all characters. :p
If Sakurai indeed includes Ridley (I am convinced he did), I think it would be for more than just pleasing the fans. I think what Sakurai wants to do is desolve any skepticism of Nintendo characters getting in. I think he likes the wild speculation that goes on for his games before release, and wants to maintain them by giving us unpredictable characters like WFT, and heavily debated characters like Ridley. Speculation keeps the hype going, and I know he wants that.
I agree. I'm also convinced that's how Sakurai lives throughout Smash's development. He feeds off speculation and hype from the fans when they expect what characters etc.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I am just stating that nobody can use All-Star Mode against him now that Sakurai stated it can be played as soon as you boot up the game.
I know. But then it makes that locked All-Star image...weird. If it is not locked, then why is there that icon?..Of course, words from Sakurai are a lot more believable and any leak, even that leak that had actual videos of Bowser Jr gameplay.

Only ~10 days (or more/less?) left before we will know his fate.

Also:

Someone must draw this too. This model looks awful, but idea itself is fine.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
That roster probably isn't even finished yet anyway in terms of layout, so Yoshi will probably get his own spot later.
Or, you know, maybe it's just acknowledging that he's a mario character of greater prominence than rosalina wario or Bowser jr? I mean even if he has his special egg symbol he's still just a Mario character, it's not weird at all to me

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
To everyone getting their hair in a knot over the roster order...

Do you really think the dev team would decided whether to include a character or not based on how neatly the roster came together? I feel like they have other priorities.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
No but people think that the leaked All-Star pic might have been taken before he took the leaked CSS pic. So people want to know if the roster in the leak is final or not.
That's kind of a weird argument since it was never stated and that there is no way to prove through the pictures themselves, though that's Smashboard standard speculation.

ridles1

Smash Rookie
So the POTD definitely has given me more hope for ridley but my question is how do we get past the rumor that the leak images were taken at different times?

Exegguter

Smash Lord
To everyone getting their hair in a knot over the roster order...

Do you really think the dev team would decided whether to include a character or not based on how neatly the roster came together? I feel like they have other priorities.
THIS times 1000000.

Except that I'm rude most of the time..

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Or, you know, maybe it's just acknowledging that he's a mario character of greater prominence than rosalina wario or Bowser jr? I mean even if he has his special egg symbol he's still just a Mario character, it's not weird at all to me
That is weird. Then Wario should be closer too since he first appeared in Mario game and then appeared in a lot of Mario spin-off games. Yoshi belongs to a different franchise in SSB since 64.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What the hell was that argument a couple of pages ago?

Oh well, another chance to whip this up, can't complain.

Waridley?

I know. But then it makes that locked All-Star image...weird. If it is not locked, then why is there that icon?..Of course, words from Sakurai are a lot more believable and any leak, even that leak that had actual videos of Bowser Jr gameplay.

Also:

Someone must draw this too. This model looks awful, but idea itself is fine.
Ah, it's good to see Malfunctionley has found a nice job for himself. He's had so much trouble, but things are looking better for him now.

Kind of not really yes? He's got his own franchise, just like Wario.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

I think the Locked symbol means that the full roster has not been unlocked.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Ok people, proof that, whether the pic was taken before or after the CSS, the roster isn't complete:
-The roster is unorganized just like Brawl when the roster wasn't complete yet.
The end.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
So the POTD definitely has given me more hope for ridley but my question is how do we get past the rumor that the leak images were taken at different times?
It doesn't really make sense, the leaker said he thought there were more characters based on all star didn't he? I think it's semi likely there are more characters I just hope they aren't all like, wolf or Lucas or ice climbers

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Kind of not really yes? He's got his own franchise, just like Wario.
Yoshi still appears in mario games more than his own games, compared to wario who never appears in mario games anymore. And I still kinda see wario as Mario too tbh and the organization of the css seems to agree with me.

And even when yoshi has his own game he usually has baby Mario lol. So yeah I think it's ridiculous to say he's his own thing

MagnesD3

Smash Master

The roster is ordered chronologically. You have the multi rep franchises (Mario to DK to Zelda, etc.) the Single rep franchises (G&W, Punch Out, Duck Hunt) Third parties (Pacman, Megaman, Sonic) as well as the clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina) all in their order of appearance.

This can be done dozens of ways. As long as the pattern is kept, the organization is fine.
Add wolf and we are perfect.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Now that that allstar mode pic officialy does not effect Ridley's chances, I'm much more optomistic. By the way, I thought of something that needs to happen in his trailer. You know how after the splash effect and cut to gameplay, they always show a close up shot of the newcomer before showing off the moveset? For Ridley, this needs to be the shot of his shadow on pyrosphere from the direct, but this time we see what happened after the video cut, and it zooms out to show that it was actually playable Ridley as he lands on the platform.

D

Deleted member

Now that that allstar mode pic officialy does not effect Ridley's chances, I'm much more optomistic. By the way, I thought of something that needs to happen in his trailer. You know how after the splash effect and cut to gameplay, they always show a close up shot of the newcomer before showing off the moveset? For Ridley, this needs to be the shot of his shadow on pyrosphere from the direct, but this time we see what happened after the video cut, and it zooms out to show that it was actually playable Ridley as he lands on the platform.
That would be the ultimate slap in the face for the detractors.... I love that idea!:4falcon:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Goddammit my idea was stolen

Juiceball

Smash Rookie
NNID
Juiceball
Just thought you pirates might like to know - that rumored Nintendo Direct was actually just an announcement of localised Pokemon cards in Russia.

Ridley will have to wait just a little while longer. Again. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Top Bottom