• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Hey, kids! It's now time to play "COUNTER THAT ARGUMENT!" The first one to create a perfectly legitimate and non-biased counter-argument against the following shall win a special prize! Here is your quote:

"If I held up a picture of a nice new car and said 'There’s a car I really want' SIMULTANEOUSLY, 100% of people can piece together the two things are connected and that car is the car 'I really want'.
Yet, change the car to Ridley and the dialogue to 'Boss characters appear on other stages as well' and suddenly ohhh noeeesss it’s too ambiguous."

Now, COUNTER THAT ARGUMENT!!

D

Deleted member

Hey, kids! It's now time to play "COUNTER THAT ARGUMENT!" The first one to create a perfectly legitimate and non-biased counter-argument against the following shall win a special prize! Here is your quote:
"If I held up a picture of a nice new car and said 'There’s a car I really want' SIMULTANEOUSLY, 100% of people can piece together the two things are connected and that car is the car 'I really want'.
Yet, change the car to Ridley and the dialogue to 'Boss characters appear on other stages as well' and suddenly ohhh noeeesss it’s too ambiguous."

Bowser = Boss Character.

Bowser appears on other stages.

Boss Character =/= Stage Boss.

gg.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hmmm I do wonder how Ridley would play in terms of flight after watching the direct footage again. Would he just kind of constantly be airborne hovering above the stage at times, or would he have a floating ability not too dissimilar to Peache's float, just fully animated for logical purporses? Or would it be something originally created that makes Ridley special like so many of the other newcomers? I don't know, and I'm sure it's been talked about before, but what is the general consensus on that?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
ughh fix this! ridley = boss
You know, I hate when people come in here and are all really ignorant like this. It's EVIDENT that the players on Pyrosphere (the only Wii U stage, again obviously) are the Stage Hazard, the only playable character is a massive Ridley, and all the stages revealed are actually just 3DS stages. The CSS is actually just one big Ridley button. Oh, and Random, off to the side.

You can unlock a newcomer by playing as Ridley twenty times on Pyrosphere, which is the only way you're able to play the game. It's just another Ridley slot, though.

This is super obvious, everyone.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hmmm I do wonder how Ridley would play in terms of flight after watching the direct footage again. Would he just kind of constantly be airborne hovering above the stage at times, or would he have a floating ability not too dissimilar to Peache's float, just fully animated for logical purporses? Or would it be something originally created that makes Ridley special like so many of the other newcomers? I don't know, and I'm sure it's been talked about before, but what is the general consensus on that?
I don't think being constantly airborne would be a good thing for Ridley or the other characters. If anything, I kind of agree with some of the ideas that have been suggested - He is going to excel more in air combat rather than on the ground. If anything, his flight in the direct could be an Up-Special, and it's something that I imagine Ridley would use as a recovery.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if you think he's definitely a boss, you're just as wrong as anyone who thinks he's definitely a playable character.

...That is to say, you're either totally wrong or totally right.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237

they didnt show ridley. they showed ridley's shadow

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
That is kinda insane given the context of the statement
What she meant to say was Sakurai's context was so vague that it could go either way, especially since "Boss Character" was never used to describe the Yellow Devil. Boss character could literally mean a boss you fight on a stage (as assumed by many), or it could mean a character that has been a boss in their respective game franchise (hence explaining how they "make appearances in other stages").

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yeah, if you think he's definitely a boss, you're just as wrong as anyone who thinks he's definitely a character.

...That is to say, you're either totally wrong or totally right.
....You're not helping out in cleaning our image. :100:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh boy! Ain't this the WIPiest thing you've ever seen!
Untitled-2.png

(For some reason, this reminds me a bit to A Link Between World's artwork style)

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
....You're not helping out in cleaning our image. :100:
Huehuehue.

I'm still on the fence, myself. I'm certainly not a detractor but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's absolutely playable. If he's not revealed this month, I'm going to be expecting him as a boss because if he's getting disconfirmed, it's probably by leaked roster. Sakurai, at this point, would save Boss Ridley for post-3DS release PotD material, most likely. Gotta hype up the Wii U version and all.

That said, anyone who straight-up says he's a boss is totally wrong. The evidence we DO have is enough to be able to say at least that it's not certain for now.

As for the car thing, it depends on context. The car could be a picture of a car on a video where someone starts talking about a car they want. It's filler to show the TRUE car they're after. Like on countdowns, such as, say, RabbidLuigi's. The scenes that're on the numbers before each part of the countdown are related, but never ON the list.

We can determine from this that in Yellow Devil context, Ridley was hinted at to be a boss. This is undeniable - Sakurai was hinting Ridley to be a boss, but was leaving enough ambiguity about the issue to allow for speculation. The clip's Ridley has choppy animations that no boss would have, to our knowledge is pretty tiny, and the statement displayed doesn't indicate Ridley specifically. It hints, that's all it does.

Everything other than that line of text in the entire clip supports evidence for Ridley's inclusion, anyway. Well, aside from the controversial "float for 10 or so seconds". He's small (we've been able to indicate this much, although whether our sizes are EXACTLY to scale is up in the air), he's choppy, he's slow, and he doesn't attack.

The "not finished" argument is a joke. There's no way in hell he wouldn't have been finished by then. "Let's start Ridley, chuck him on the backburner, and do something else". "Uh oh, the Direct's rolled around and we didn't finish! Better just tease unfinished Ridley!"

If Ridley was unfinished, the tease wouldn't exist at all because they just wouldn't have done anything using him. He's been finished for a long time if he's a boss, and if he's playable... nah, he's still finished.

We'll see in September, if not before.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
too long, didnt read:troll::troll::troll:
2 days until the pyrosphere anniversary, maybe we'll get some news tomorrow on the 19th about a Direct? i hope so. this ridley waiting is taking too long...ive been trying to take my mind off of it but Ridley just keeps coming back to me

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yea, I do think that, because I assume all of you ridley supporters (and I don't mean that in a mean way) are still hyped for this game, am I wrong to say that you all check it almost daily hoping for some info on Ridley? And while you're doing that you've seent he reveal of the newcomers and the features and stages and whatnot, I hope you're all hyped and not that obsessed with one character, this is a great game either way, and by having you guys cling to your screens waiting for your savior to appear, you're taking in everything else. If they alienate you before the game's even released, you're all less inclined to check everyday and see what's up because they've already turned you off before you got hooked on everything else.

If you came in day 1 and he flat out said "hey guys, no ridley" I don't think as many of you would be on here as often as you are, checking the site however often you do, and being as excited for the game, and if you come in with a negative attitude, nothing seems as great because you already know your number 1 desire is still not in the game, but if he stalls you out and makes you wait for it, then youre (hopefully) geting hyped for everything else smash has to offer while remaining optimistic for Ridley.

And let me tell you, you guys are clearly the most resilient and dedicated fanbase here, if he alienates you day 1, that would not keep you active in the community, unless it was to complain or something
I doubt every supporter is hyped for this game. MOST are, but not everyone. For example, i am not hyped for it at least for now. Everything i wanted that got confirmed is already in Brawl and since i can add Ridley hack to it, i don't really need Sm4sh. Only to try something a bit new.
I honestly see it as a pro. His movement and behavior are very strange. They don't look like scripted movement, like a boss would have. Also, Ridley flies around constantly in the Metroid games, so just stopping in the middle of flying is very un-Ridley-like. By the way, SSBB Ridley doesn't count since he was basically Dyna Blade.
In Other M, he doesn't flies around constantly. BUT he doesn't moves either when flying.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I doubt every supporter is hyped for this game. MOST are, but not everyone. For example, i am not hyped for it at least for now. Everything i wanted that got confirmed is already in Brawl and since i can add Ridley hack to it, i don't really need Sm4sh. Only to try something a bit new.

In Other M, he doesn't flies around constantly. BUT he doesn't moves either when flying.
Fair, I would consider you the minority from what I've seen, but you clearly are the antithesis to my theory

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Does anybody feel that there's a possibility Ridley gets revealed through a PotD on the 20th? It would destroy any hope for hype and not make very much sense at all, but hey this is Sakurai we're talking about.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Everything other than that line of text in the entire clip supports evidence for Ridley's inclusion, anyway. Well, aside from the controversial "float for 10 or so seconds". He's small (we've been able to indicate this much, although whether our sizes are EXACTLY to scale is up in the air), he's choppy, he's slow, and he doesn't attack.
This actually reminds me of Sakurai's quote from 2008. He said that he'd be able to pull off a playable Ridley if he'd put his best effort into it, but "he'd be a bit slow." Did you see how Ridley was creeping up on Pikachu in the Direct?

The real problem Sakurai has isn't "Ridley's too big," but instead "Ridley's too fast!" How funny. XD

Aaaand now someone's gonna try to use Sonic as a counter-argument. :4sonic:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Fair, I would consider you the minority from what I've seen, but you clearly are the antithesis to my theory
That is something that should be expected from things like that. It is possible that not every supporter will be happy how Ridley is made when* he will be revealed to be playable. That always happens. At least i am not really loud about that, unlike stupid part of Mewtwo supporters. Seriously, Lucario gets revealed and you are so mad about that because "he replaced him in Brawl and now he replaced him in SSB4"? Really? That most likely was minority too, but d*mn, they were loud.
*Note: i used "when" instead of "if" because SSB4 is not the only game where Ridley could possible be playable.
Does anybody feel that there's a possibility Ridley gets revealed through a PotD on the 20th? It would destroy any hope for hype and not make very much sense at all, but hey this is Sakurai we're talking about.
I doubt it. He could have done that already even if Ridley wouldn't be finished. Developers could have just added Ridley to Pyrosphere with only 1 animation with single frame and nothing else to deconfirm him through PotD.

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
This actually reminds me of Sakurai's quote from 2008. He said that he'd be able to pull off a playable Ridley if he'd put his best effort into it, but "he'd be a bit slow." Did you see how Ridley was creeping up on Pikachu in the Direct?

The real problem Sakurai has isn't "Ridley's too big," but instead "Ridley's too fast!" How funny. XD

Aaaand now someone's gonna try to use Sonic as a counter-argument. :4sonic:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
That is something that should be expected from things like that. It is possible that not every supporter will be happy how Ridley is made when* he will be revealed to be playable. That always happens.
*Note: i used "when" instead of "if" because SSB4 is not the only game where Ridley could possible be playable.

I doubt it. He could have done that already even if Ridley wouldn't be finished. Developers could have just added Ridley to Pyrosphere with only 1 animation with single frame and nothing else to deconfirm him through PotD.
Haha true, he's got to be in by smash 6 :troll:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Haha true, he's got to be in by smash 6 :troll:
Or in Nintendo VS Capcom :troll::troll:...hm...that is actually a good idea if done right...because THEN Ridley will have nothing stopping him from being playable, not even his size. He could be as big as he really is! YAY!...:troll:
Yeah, but toobigots will still say that he won't be playable.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Or in Nintendo VS Capcom :troll::troll:...hm...that is actually a good idea if done right...because THEN Ridley will have nothing stopping him from being playable, not even his size. He could be as big as he really is! YAY!...:troll:
Yeah, but toobigots will still say that he won't be playable.
If Sentinel isn't to big for a vs capcom, no one is, theres hope for you guys yet!

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
What she meant to say was Sakurai's context was so vague that it could go either way, especially since "Boss Character" was never used to describe the Yellow Devil. Boss character could literally mean a boss you fight on a stage (as assumed by many), or it could mean a character that has been a boss in their respective game franchise (hence explaining how they "make appearances in other stages").
Yeah and that's insane given the context it is very very clearly the first thing

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice

*thinking...how to counter that argument...how to counter...how to counter...*

Emm...emm...emm...you are ugly

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

The two situations are nowhere near as analogous as you make them out to be.

However, my answer: We know you're a massive troll and are probably throwing this in our face so that you can say "nope" and laugh when make an assumption.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I seriously never got the size argument, not only does it show little to no faith in sakurai, but the platform restrictions have only ever mattered for idle stances, as soon as you kick, punch, hit, bite, suck, swipe, claw, taunt or shoot, you can clip right through the platforms as much as you want. Not to mention I think the lowest level platforms might be adjusted a bit to fit even Bowser's new model, his hair clips when idle. I also don't see the problem with his wings if they are on the z-axis, which they are if Shadowley is Playabley.

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby

Ridley says: "Vroom Vroom!"
i win

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader

My argument is that you aren't Sakurai. Everything Sakurai says and does is ambiguous. Unless he heavily implies it's ambiguous. Then it usually isn't. Or isn't nearly as important as he wants us to think.

Also. The situation is obviously quite different. So I'm going to assume this is a troll post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom