• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Speculator

Smash Ace
"Resizing" Ridley (some thing I find hilarious as an argument, dude shrunk over the course of one game) to make him playable size is not some great betrayal of the character. It is an affirmation of his design philosophy.
That's an odd point to make when most Ridley supporters contend that size is not his only asset. Arguing against this single point implies that Ridley 'detractors' think the only issue with including him is his size, which isn't true.

Ridley is one of the hardest boss fights, and most dangerous creatures in every game he's in. And he does it without sheer size. He dcoes it by being strong, powerful, and vicious as all Norfair.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Ridley is strong, powerful, vicious, destructive, fast, agile, smart and yes, big. Not all of these assets can be reasonably translated into a balanced Smash character. His size is the one thing that would definitely need to be compromised, which is why most people tend to fixate on it. As for the other character elements, we're essentially looking at a small, fast but weak Ridley or a small, powerful but slow Ridley. This is a point Sakurai made in his interview with Nintendo Power. In my eyes, neither of these options is worth making Ridley a playable character over a boss or a stage hazard, where he can be as big and threatening as the developers care to make him. The difference between Ridley supporters and skeptics is that supporters would be ok with these changes and skeptics would not.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Ridley is strong, powerful, vicious, destructive, fast, agile, smart and yes, big. Not all of these assets can be reasonably translated into a balanced Smash character. His size is the one thing that would definitely need to be compromised, which is why most people tend to fixate on it. As for the other character elements, we're essentially looking at a small, fast but weak Ridley or a small, powerful but slow Ridley. This is a point Sakurai made in his interview with Nintendo Power. In my eyes, neither of these options is worth making Ridley a playable character over a boss or a stage hazard, where he can be as big and threatening as the developers care to make him. The difference between Ridley supporters and skeptics is that supporters would be ok with these changes and skeptics would not.
Do we really need to go over this again? We already know nobody is changing their mind. You will never have a Smash Bros character where the transition will be seamless, every character have some new tricks or have been taken some liberties with. Samus is slow and floaty compared to her fast and agile Metroid counterpart, Zero Suit Samus has jet boots and fights unlike in Zero Mission, Ike is slow and is a heavy-hitter in comparison to his fast and agile PoR counterpart, Luigi is soaping around and firing himself off as a missile, Bowser is a wrestler, Diddy Kong stretches himself, Sonic doesn't boost around or move at the "speed of sound", Pac-Man's enemies are helping him in battle, I still don't understand why Ridley is the exception. Even then no matter what role you put him in he can't be a 100% faithful recreation, it's striving for the impossible.

There are two options for Ridley, and let's use the characteristics you mentioned:

As a character he can be strong, powerful, vicious, destructive, fast (in the air), agile and smart (determined by the player or the CPU).
As a stage boss he can be destructive and big.

Pick one.

Stage bosses are buff pinatas for the players to feed off of, so he can't be too strong, he needs to be predictable, and he has to move slowly for the players to attack and dodge him, in that role Ridley would never be able to shine because it's not about him as a character, he's only there solely for players to take advantage of, nothing more. As a playable character Ridley can have every one of those characteristics you mentioned with the exception of the size, and if you think none of those other characteristics are worth it if he can't have his size with him that's fair enough, but stop pretending that a stage boss Ridley wouldn't make any compromises, you can't get a perfect representation of him in this game, Smash is simply so different from every other Nintendo franchise that nothing will have a 100% faithful recreation in the game, you'll have to make compromises and change characters accordingly no matter what, at least unless they're incredibly simple like the Yellow Devil. I don't care if you don't want Ridley as a playable character, everyone has their opinions, but you're gonna end up dissapointed with him in this game no matter what if you strive for this kind of perfection.

Last edited:

Aurablade

Smash Cadet
I am mainly a Shulk supporter but i seriously hope that Ridley will be in. Metroid need an other character and Anti-Ridley will shut their mouths. This is ironically my main reason for wanting him in.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
That's an odd point to make when most Ridley supporters contend that size is not his only asset. Arguing against this single point implies that Ridley 'detractors' think the only issue with including him is his size, which isn't true.

One of the things I like to use when people bring up his size/scale is the Great Fox, that things meant to be huge, but when you look at it in Smash Bros. in it's smaller stage size people just seem to overlook it without a second thought, and that's being scaled down far more than Ridley would be. Even looking at the Mario series petey piranha and queen bee were downscaled to fit into karts yet no one has a issue with them either. There's a reason the name toobigots exist, they seem to think Ridley is the exception when it comes to downscaling.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
A Nintendoland travelling stage would be pretty cool. I can imagine it's announcement now:

"Pic of the day. I know many fans have been waiting for news on a certain space dragon, so I am happy to announce that he will indeed be appearing as a boss..."
[picture of Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere]

"...on the new Nintendoland stage!"
[picture of Ridley on the Nintendoland stage]
No, that'd be too obvious. We'd just see a Metroid Blast stage with Sakurai stating, "An enemy from Mii's past may appear at any second..."

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Alright so here's what i got for a Ridley move-set

^ B: Bombing Dive - Ridley will fly upward, spinning horizontally with his wings covering him; if an enemy is caught, Ridley dives down at near-lighting speed with the enemy in his claws (one of the best recovery moves in the game, balanced out by its potentially suicidal nature) (25%-death)

B: Rapid Plasma - Ridley shoot 1-6 Plasmaballs in rapid succession, they travel bout as far as a fully charged Hero's Bow and each Plasmaball does 9%

-It's custom variations will include a more Bowser like Firebreath and also the spiny fireballs from the first Metroid

>B: Capture Toss - Ridley charges forward claw outstretched; if an enemy is caught, he will begin to tear at them for up to five seconds before throwing them the opposite direction, also makes for an alright Horizontal recovery (10-18%)

vB: Screech - RIdley does his trademark Roar, it doesn't deal damage but it can push people a fair distance away from him, Ridley's got a big hitbox so he's easily surrounded

Final Smash : I always get stuck on this, the Space Pirate raid does sound cool, but if it's gonna be Other M Ridley...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know, Ridley's homestage would easily be Norfair if it returns on the 3ds...My only wish is that we get Magmoor Caverns as alt music track there...
I consider it a crime that we haven't had it in Smash Bros yet, it's such a classic Metroid song, if it isn't at least on Pyrosphere they ****ed it up.

I'm calling it right now, Meta Knight and Ridley duel reveal.
My main and future main revealed at the same time, sign me up!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Next week will be the one year anniversary for the Pyrosphere unveil.

We also stand a good chance for a Ganondorf confirmation later this week (Hyrule Warriors is being released this week in Japan).

I would say next week or the week after next week we will be getting a new trailer.

We only have a little over a month until Smash 4's Japanese release.

Pretty soon we will find out whether Sakurai is a too bigot or not.

There is absolutely no excuse for Ridley not be added in as a playable character this time.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Sure, it won't be as simple as making him walk on 2, but i will try.

I nearly finished THIS animation (or at least 2nd version of it), i just need to animate other parts of the model. I have 2 other animations like that, one of them is Ridley walking, other one is Roidley walking. If only there would be same thing in BrawlBox for feet like in MMD...then i would do that faster.

So, Meta Knight is disconfirmed somehow? Bulls*** since he is one of Sakurai's characters (right?) and there is no reason to cut him instead of a clone veteran that isn't even a semi-clone *coughToonLinkcough*.
-u- THANK YOU A LOT! Take your time.

AndreaAC

I have a confession to make... I... think that the SM Ridley theme is one of the worst of the themes, close to Zero Mission, Dark Ridley and Prime Hunters Ridley themes!
There was a theme for the Dark Ridley concept? I didn't know that....

AndreaAC

Omega Ridley's theme is my favorite Ridley theme. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-u- mine too! but lot of people conplain that is kind of slow paced and that the Original theme is barely audible....in comparison to the other versions of his theme.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
-u- mine too! but lot of people conplain that is kind of slow paced and that the Original theme is barely audible....
Sounds like a valid criticism, but I personally don't see that as a bad thing. The battle against Omega Ridley isn't frenetic, so the theme is fitting.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like the SM theme, each section of the song is slowly being built up which fits Ridley's battle in the game as he sometimes flies out of sight only to strike suddenly. I do think the best version of the theme is the Other M version though, while my least favorite is probably the Omega Ridley version.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Sounds like a valid criticism, but I personally don't see that as a bad thing. The battle against Omega Ridley isn't frenetic, so the theme is fitting.
Yeah, you are right about that. His battle in not frenetic...but his design is insanely detailed...I love it.....

Reila

Yeah, you are right about that. His battle in not frenetic...but his design is insanely detailed...I love it.....
The battle is awesome either way. It doesn't need to be frenetic to be good (see Quadraxis). And yeah, Omega Ridley's design is pretty good.

AndreaAC

The battle is awesome either way. It doesn't need to be frenetic to be good (see Quadraxis). And yeah, Omega Ridley's design is pretty good.
Yeah, and it is even funny...specially when he lands on his butt after being shot.....hehe...poor thing. Even if I love nearly every Ridley design (Roidley too, Ok?....) his Omega form has something that makes me like it a little bit more....maybe it is the painful details and complexity...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like the concept of the Omega Ridley fight, but once again as with every other battle in the game Hyper Mode ruins it by making it too short and too easy.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I like the concept of the Omega Ridley fight, but once again as with every other battle in the game Hyper Mode ruins it by making it too short and too easy.
Yeah, I enjoyed Corruption while I was too dumb to realize I could spam the + Button to win the game. Ridley even killed me in Hyper difficulty. It was in that fight when it came to me: "Wait a sec... If Im invincible in hypermode, then why the **** am I not using it to protect myself all the time???"

Reila

Eh... It is not like Metroid games are even hard to begin with.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not necessarily, but a boss battle is ruined when it's so short that you're not even certain you got to see everything the boss had to offer. Boss battles are cool when you feel some form of resistance, and you don't do that in Metroid Prime 3, especially not late into the game where you can pop Hypermode constantly. Also, Metroid Prime's hard mode is pretty damn tough actually, especially in the Phazon Mines.

Reila

Not necessarily, but a boss battle is ruined when it's so short that you're not even certain you got to see everything the boss had to offer. Boss battles are cool when you feel some form of resistance, and you don't do that in Metroid Prime 3, especially not late into the game where you can pop Hypermode constantly. Also, Metroid Prime's hard mode is pretty damn tough actually, especially in the Phazon Mines.
Speak for yourself. I liked the boss battles in Corruption, even if they were a bit easy (but then again, so are 90% of the bosses in the series).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Speak for yourself. I liked the boss battles in Corruption, even if they were a bit easy (but then again, so are 90% of the bosses in the series).
I am speaking for myself, I never implied I was making a general statement. Again, it's not so much that they're easy as it is that they're squashed like bugs, some of the boss battles take less time to kill than certain regular enemies in Metroid Prime 2, you never had to deploy any tactics other than the mandatory grapple beam part that was in almost every battle, as soon as that was off you could just go nuts. The only boss battle I remember taking a decent amount of time was Mogenar, and even then he didn't take quite as much time as Meta Ridley, Chykka or Quadraxis. All my opinion of course if I absolutely have to state such.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
-u- THANK YOU A LOT! Take your time.
Sorry...but i failed to make Ridley walk on all four...his model just can't do that properly since it has small body and long arms and legs...i still have normal walking animations...
You guys are saying the Bosses could be killed easily in MP3...MUST I REMIND YOU OF THE CRUELTY THAT IS MOGENAR!?
Just a long battle. Not hard. At least he doesn't looks hard.
As SomecallmeJohnny stated: Rundas? Hyper Mode. Defense Droid? Hyper Mode. Omega Ridley? Grapple beam, and THEN Hyper Mode!
It was "Metroids? Pfft. Hyper Beam. Bosses? Pfft. Hyber Beam. Omega Ridley? X-Ray Visor and THEN Hyper Beam."
I still can't forget Breakdancing Eggman...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sorry...but i failed to make Ridley walk on all four...his model just can't do that properly since it has small body and long arms and legs...i still have normal walking animations...

Just a long battle. Not hard. At least he doesn't looks hard.

It was "Metroids? Pfft. Hyper Beam. Bosses? Pfft. Hyber Beam. Omega Ridley? X-Ray Visor and THEN Hyper Beam."
I'm an idiot, I'm allowed to forget precise quotes, and Mogenar isn't hard, but the fight is SO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! ESCPECIALLY when he starts healing himself and turning around!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm an idiot, I'm allowed to forget precise quotes, and Mogenar isn't hard, but the fight is SO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! ESCPECIALLY when he starts healing himself and turning around!
Yeah, i didn't remembered it fully before rewatching it few minutes before my previous post. Only "Pfft." part...
Then i am right...at least it is not as long as Time Eater fight in Sonic Generations (6 minutes + other characters talk a lot in this fight...that was BrainScratchComms video) or not as boring as Metroid Prime fight (2nd part of it at least).

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Next week will be the one year anniversary for the Pyrosphere unveil.

We also stand a good chance for a Ganondorf confirmation later this week (Hyrule Warriors is being released this week in Japan).

I would say next week or the week after next week we will be getting a new trailer.

We only have a little over a month until Smash 4's Japanese release.

Pretty soon we will find out whether Sakurai is a too bigot or not.

There is absolutely no excuse for Ridley not be added in as a playable character this time.
Good points! Hype! :laugh:
(Even if he doesn't get a reveal trailer or something, he could be a secret. But I doubt Ridley would be a secret.)

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, at least half of the games are challenging, Metroid 1, RoS, Fusion, Echoes, with Prime getting really though at the end.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I disagree, at least half of the games are challenging, Metroid 1, RoS, Fusion, Echoes, with Prime getting really though at the end.
I disagree about Fusion. It gets anti-climatic after you defeat Ridley or even Yakuza. Especially during SA-X fight. Omega Metroid is harder than SA-X, but if you know what to do to get up faster, then you can defeat him without loosing a lot of health. Super Metroid was harder than this game.
You know what hard core detractors would do? They would ask us how angry we are because Ridley uses a slightly altered Other M design instead of the Super Metroid version. And when we reply: This looks great! They will be PISSED
I think they will ask about something else like how he plays or just keep saying he looks stupid because he is resized or something like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom