• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xenorange

Smash Lord
My bad guys :D, meant to post that elsewhere, but yes the dolphin. I mean it can still be relavent here too right? Ridley's basically a space dolphin am I right? :troll:

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
For Ridleys trailer, it can be a fake out for the Chorus Men.

We have Rosalina and Samus fighting on the Pyrosphere and They notice 3 Silloettes behind them. A purple background drops but no text displays. A pair of yellow eyes appear and Ridley chucks the Chorus Men into the lava. Ridley's Title Card. Cue Gameplay.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
My bad guys :D, meant to post that elsewhere, but yes the dolphin. I mean it can still be relavent here too right? Ridley's basically a space dolphin am I right? :troll:
I'm not sure how the heck Ecco would work, but seeing him in smash would be pretty cool.

Um. Ridley is also cool. (Is being relevant.)

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I'm not sure how the heck Ecco would work, but seeing him in smash would be pretty cool.

Um. Ridley is also cool. (Is being relevant.)
What if Ridley and Ecco are actually....

Related...

Note the elongated beaks on both of them.

Note the unquenchable thirst for blood

What exactly are you trying to pull Nintendo? OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Coming to a local channel near you. New episodes every Friday night at 8:00 PM.
Town Mayor: Ridley, Flipper! The bank is being robbed. Again!

Ridley: Leave it to us Mayor! Let's go Flipper.

Flipper: ...

Ridley: Flipper pick up the pace!

Flipper: There's no water between here and there.

Ridley: Oh. Well I guess you'll have to sit this one out then buddy. Just like every other time...

Flipper: I'll watch the docks incase they plan to escape on a ship.

Ridley: Okay. And I'll breath plasma on them so they... well... die.

The purple space dragon flies off at high speed.

Flipper: Sometimes I feel like I don't carry my weight on this team.

Mayor: I'll say!

An explosion and screams are heard from the bank.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
=_____= TOO MANY IDEAS! Let me think!!!
whoa, calm down... just look around and choose one you think sounds like it would be fun to draw, and thats if you feel like drawing at all.

its not art if you feel forced to do it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
NO SHE HAS TO DRAW OUR REQUESTS!! Ridley must be upheld! Draw a moveset now! /s
-______- I'm thiking on a project with RIDLEY right now....maybe a wood carving or something.....or....I don't know....I'm not even at home, so I will not draw anything....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How were you guys introduced to the gloriousness that is Ridley? Official Nintendo Magazine had a Brawl issue, and talked about the SSE with bosses like Rayquaza and Samus's nemesis Ridley. I was a stupid kid and thought Ridley would be some other person in a suit(I barely knew any gaming IPs either back then)Years later, I played Brawl through Subspace, and saw the cutscene with Ridley. "OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL IS THAT!?!?!?!? THAT DRAGON IS FRICKING AWESOME!" is what my reaction might have been, but less cursing, then I saw his name. "THAT'S Ridley?!?!?"And now, we are united!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How were you guys introduced to the gloriousness that is Ridley? Official Nintendo Magazine had a Brawl issue, and talked about the SSE with bosses like Rayquaza and Samus's nemesis Ridley. I was a stupid kid and thought Ridley would be some other person in a suit(I barely knew any gaming IPs either back then)Years later, I played Brawl through Subspace, and saw the cutscene with Ridley. "OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL IS THAT!?!?!?!? THAT DRAGON IS FRICKING AWESOME!" is what my reaction might have been, but less cursing, then I saw his name. "THAT'S Ridley?!?!?"And now, we are united!
Lol, I knew about Ridley since I was a little kid. I think my mom played Super Metroid, and I remember seeing her go through both the opening segment with Ridley, and later the "escape" sequence at the end of the game (funny thing, I don't remember seeing the rest of the game). Years later I heard about Ridley in Melee and especially in the running up to Brawl, I knew who he was at that time (when I first saw Super Metroid, I never knew his name).

Within the past few months I FINALLY actually played and beat Super Metroid. Although that's long after I was interested in Ridley. I've never cared for him too much (I have no close connections to the Metroid series), but he is a badass space dragon.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I played Brawl.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Brawl, but I first considered him after watching a Moveset video for him (Pizzadudemanguy's? I Don't really remember.....)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
2002, Melee's european release, I boot up the game and there he is in the intro. The more times I watched the intro the more interested I became in Metroid, you're a cannon-wielding space warrior who shoots dragons down, that sounds too damn good. Didn't actually get a Metroid game until 2004 though with the release of Zero Mission, but even before I got it the main thing that had me pumped was Ridley, I was already a fan of him before getting the game, so naturally I only grew to like him more and more from there on. Took a break from video games, found out Brawl was announced sometime in 2006/2007, and that's when I began supporting him for Smash.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Melee's opening, from there I bought a bunch of metroid games, I felt like the coolest kid in school because I was the only one who knew Samus was a girl.

D

Deleted member

When I was little, I sucked at games and needed my cousin's help to beat Super Mario World, one day, he showed me Super Metroid, started playing and got to Ridley, you know what happens, I like his design and stuff, he gives the controller to beat him and I start playing, then I get lost in the first area of Zebes.
Earlier this year, I play Super Metroid and finally beat Ridley(He killed me 5 goddamn times), it was remarkable because of how hard and challenging it was, while every other boss went down in the first or 2nd try, I don't think I even tried to beat Mother Brain, unless standing still while holding R and shooting is trying :p

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Back on the orginal NES it took me ages to get to Ridley's lair and then I couldn't take him down. Kraid had been a pain, but persistance had bested him (though there was this annoying hidden hole in the corridor leading up to him that I kept falling down when I was making each attempt :dizzy:). But the Ridley fight really had me stumped. I just couldn't get my attacks past his indestructable stream of fireballs. Eventually I got the Ice Beam and then found they froze his fireballs making the fight much easier.

Though really it was the creepy music when you fight him that made it's mark on me as a child. Then when I played Super Metroid I saw Ridley at the start, jumped out of my skin at his entrance and instantly thought he was super awesome.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Prime 1. I remember being really freaked out by the games intro level, and then I heard his trademark screech. I played through the game looking over my shoulder until the final confrontation with him. The combination of music, visuals, and being a kid make it one of my greatest gaming experiences to this day.

Morbi

Scavenger
My first encounter with (a boss) Ridley was Smash as I was never the biggest Metroid fan. I have no regrets as Ridley is about to be in Smash, the beginning meets the end or something to that effect.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
T-stance Ridley might be the scariest thing I've seen posted on these boards.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ecco... the dolphin?
That should totally happen as a character reveal. Physics be damned; it'd be funny to see my childhood dolphin try to fight Ridley out of the water, and then to see Ridley struggle against him underwater.

How were you guys introduced to the gloriousness that is Ridley?
The Super Metroid box art & prologue when I got a SNES in 1995, a year after the game's debut.

I would give my condolences to SSE being the first time you actually saw Ridley, but then again I kinda envy you in a way since unlike most of the rest of us, you had nothing about Ridley in Brawl to be disappointed by due to not having any previous experience or hopes/expectations for him beforehand.

Lol, I knew about Ridley since I was a little kid. I think my mom played Super Metroid, and I remember seeing her go through both the opening segment with Ridley, and later the "escape" sequence at the end of the game (funny thing, I don't remember seeing the rest of the game). Years later I heard about Ridley in Melee and especially in the running up to Brawl, I knew who he was at that time (when I first saw Super Metroid, I never knew his name).

Within the past few months I FINALLY actually played and beat Super Metroid. Although that's long after I was interested in Ridley. I've never cared for him too much (I have no close connections to the Metroid series), but he is a badass space dragon.
Damn, your mom's awesome.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
First encounter was in Super Metroid, however i never really found my way into it as a kid...then Prime 1 came along and made me love the series, i went back and played each and every Metroid i could get my hands on.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That should totally happen as a character reveal. Physics be damned; it'd be funny to see my childhood dolphin try to fight Ridley out of the water, and then to see Ridley struggle against him underwater.

The Super Metroid box art & prologue when I got a SNES in 1995, a year after the game's debut.

I would give my condolences to SSE being the first time you actually saw Ridley, but then again I kinda envy you in a way since unlike most of the rest of us, you had nothing about Ridley in Brawl to be disappointed by due to not having any previous experience or hopes/expectations for him beforehand.

Damn, your mom's awesome.
I THINK it was her playing it. I was positive it was her, but I know for a fact I watched someone playing Super Metroid (I was probably between 5-7). My parents used to play games a lot together when I was younger, mostly Legend of Zelda. That's how I became a gamer. I do know that I watched someone playing Super Metroid, and I knew Samus was a girl right from the start because I'd see Samus die and fall out of the suit.

I do have some familiarity with Metroid, even if I never played the games myself until recently. But yeah, I am pretty positive it was my mom who was playing the game. The only thing she plays nowadays is Runescape (ironically, my sisters and I started playing Runescape and got her into it, and now we barely play it at all; I play once and a while), and sometimes Zelda when she has the opportunity.

About the only thing my dad plays nowadays is Lufia 2 and Zelda (mostly a Link to the Past). I don't know if he still plays much, but its been a while since I've been down there (I'm currently without a vehicle :p).

EDIT: Ok, that rant went out of hand. Either way, I'm pretty sure I watched my mom playing Super Metroid, and I saw her fight Ridley at the beginning that way. Main game I always played around that time was Donkey Kong Country.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Warning Received
Neither can I :troll:

Moderator Note: Please do not post images that contain any sort of profanity. It is a form of censor bypass,

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Metroid Prime 1 was my first intro to Ridley. I still remember seeing him on frigate orpheon.

I got that game with my gamecube. I was still 11, and I was afraid of playing a teen game because I was a huge wuss back then. played it anyways, got to Tallon IV, then got stuck. a few months later, picked it up again, got to the first boss, and got stuck. About a year later, I finally picked it up again, started it over, and played it the whole way through. It's now probably one of my favorite games of all time. God, when Ridley's shadow flew over me in the Phendrana drifts, my heart skipped a beat, I was scared to death that I'd have to fight him then and there. And when he showed up at the impact crater, I had actually forgotten about him, and it scared the crap outta me. That was a fun fight. It's been true love ever since <3

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Neither can I :troll:
God dang-it its that same girl again, why does she hate Ridley so much!?

This is like the third time we have seen this chick, something your not telling us Wozny :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
The first time I learned of Ridley was playing through Brawl's SSE. I didn't really have any siblings in the house who would fight against me in Brawl (nobody likes fighting games :( ) and Brawl had the ****tiest online of any Wii game I had, so I'd have to wait to fight with friends. So SSE was a big thing for me. I played the hell out of that mode, and I was very disappointed when they announced that it wouldn't be returning in SSB4 (but my siblings are older now and slightly able to hold their own against me in Smash). The first time I encountered Ridley, I was already stoked to be playing as Pikachu and "some girl that could turn into a robot" (I didn't know much about Metroid at the time...), as I really loved Pokemon around Brawl's release. When Ridley attacked Pikachu and Samus, I was all over the fact that "Pikachu and the robot" would be fighting a dragon. I learned later that Ridley was from Metroid, and that shocked me because I thought the whole series was people in suits fighting each other with arm cannons (sort of like CoD but without the guns)... Then my friend got Prime Hunters for the DS, and urged me to get it. I eventually got it and I wanted to fight Ridley right away (turns out he wasn't in that...). My friend and I played the multiplayer on Prime Hunters so much. And, well, here I am very in to the Metroid series, so I guess that turned out well?

And that is my story of how I met Ridley. Feel free to point and laugh...

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Since were entering Ridley's hideout, I'm expecting either a villains trailer or 2 trailer (Ridley and a zelda one) for the direct.

Can someone link me to the big compalation of Sakurai Miiverse posts proving that Ridley is in the game?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
For me, I first learned about him on youtube pre brawl, and then finaly played a metroid game, other m, please don't kill me and immediately decided he should be in smash.

Also, assuming Ridley is revealed before the august Coro Coro, which he pretty much has to be, that's this week or next week. It's been a long battle, but it may finaly be nearing its end.

Top Bottom