• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That moment when your watching the shadow footage and you finally see what appears to be Pickachu's tale within Ridley's grasp, but your not entirely sure if that is truly Pickachu. People had talked about seeing the grab forever, but it wasn't until just now that I finally got around to seeing that. I'm pretty sure my mind just wants it so much that it's willing to believe it, but still more hype for Ridley is always a good thing in my mind.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
the game comes out in japan mid-september... august is really the last month to reveal anything, i would think, unless sakurai would prefer surprises get spoiled by random players who get the game a little bit earlier than expected.

i really feel like we will know ridley's status in the game at some point in august.

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
Were other stages omitted from the E3 demos? Or was it just Pyrosphere? I can't remember what all was shown, but I can definitely see it being suspicious if only Pyrosphere was missing out of all of the announced stages. Otherwise, if other stages weren't anywhere to be seen either, we might be grasping at straws more than usual here :p

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Many keep saying that Ridley will be last or second to last to be revealed or even post launch. That's actually practically impossible now.

With CoroCoro talking about all the currently known stages next month, Ridley's case has all but been deadlocked to that date. If they just quickly mention Pyrosphere and sidestep around the matter entirely then it's abundantly clear what's really going on, and they can't straight up avoid it either since such an event raised enough eyebrows at E3 with its absence. There's simply no way to keep Ridley's true fate secret after the fact without giving away the answer before the appointed time.

Bottom line, the Space Pirate cat will be out of the bag sooner rather then later at this rate.
Wait, didn't they say that they would only talk about the 3ds version stages?

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well, unless we're assuming G&W is getting cut this time around, we've seen his full model in Pac-Man's trailer. Furthermore, we also saw Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage prior to his reveal, everyone at that point thought he was disconfirmed, but a few weeks later? Toon Link confirmed, Alfonzo takes his place when he is selected.
Let me amend my statement. During pre-release times, we have never seen any newcomers or glimpses of parts of newcomers (such as shadows, tails, limbs, etc.) in anything shown by Sakurai, before they are intended to be fully revealed, by Sakurai.

For example, we never saw glimpses of Pokemon Trainer's butt in the Dojo before he was revealed as a newcomer in the Dojo. We never saw a shadow of Diddy Kong scratching his butt before he was revealed as a a newcomer in the Dojo. We never saw Dedede's jiggly belly before we saw him as a newcomer.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
We should know before or by August 10th because Nintendo not giving CoroCoro Pyrosphere information will be pretty evident.

I doubt CoroCoro would get many sales by saying "this is exactly everything you already know", also; they'll likely be going in-depth on stages.

Which means Ridley on Pyrosphere. I don't see how they can go around this without revealing Ridley or making it obvious. As Majora said, there's only so much you can tiptoe around an issue until it becomes blatantly obvious you're hiding something. The only reason there could be to continually hide Ridley would be is if he was playable.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
We should know before or by August 10th because Nintendo not giving CoroCoro Pyrosphere information will be pretty evident.

I doubt CoroCoro would get many sales by saying "this is exactly everything you already know", also; they'll likely be going in-depth on stages.

Which means Ridley on Pyrosphere. I don't see how they can go around this without revealing Ridley or making it obvious. As Majora said, there's only so much you can tiptoe around an issue until it becomes blatantly obvious you're hiding something. The only reason there could be to continually hide Ridley would be is if he was playable.
I think they can get away with it honestly, unless like you said they show something prior to its publication. I don't think Sakurai's going to let a magazine reveal something as big as that for him.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
On a side note, I don't see why people put much stock in the trophy quiz. It's interesting to entertain the possibility, yes, but two out of four isn't a successful pattern. I wrote the darn Post 2 Essay for it and I don't see how it's credible yet.

I think they can get away with it honestly, unless like you said they show something prior to its publication. I don't think Sakurai's going to let a magazine reveal something as big as that for him.
Yeah, but if he was a stage boss, it wouldn't really be anything to hide. It'd be pointless hiding it, and it'd go against Sakurai's "false hope" agenda, which I don't see happening. It's why I think that if Ridley's playable, he'll be revealed beforehand; if we get nothing, we should dread the CoroCoro. I see where you're coming from, but Sakurai not letting CoroCoro reveal Stage Hazardley would make people suspicious for sure, creating even more false hope for people. That's a surefire way to make people really unhappy. Gotta please people, you know? It's probably a bit too late for that, though, since August and April and all.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah yeah I feel dat.

He could get away with it but it wouldn't really be good for the fans.

Also, awesome that you realize that a single repetition doesn't constitute a pattern.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Again, it doesn't matter if they don't bring up Ridley. The tie-toeing has been going on for so long that even if they do completely avoid him it'll still look just as, if not more, questionable. Sakurai can't keep the charade going forever.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Again, it doesn't matter if they don't bring up Ridley. The tie-toeing has been going on for so long that even if they do completely avoid him it'll still look just as, if not more, questionable. Sakurai can't keep the charade going forever.
Yeah yeah I feel dat.

Also, awesome that you realize that a single repetition doesn't constitute a pattern.
Man I felt that you probably just missed dat post of mine right here man.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Were other stages omitted from the E3 demos? Or was it just Pyrosphere? I can't remember what all was shown, but I can definitely see it being suspicious if only Pyrosphere was missing out of all of the announced stages. Otherwise, if other stages weren't anywhere to be seen either, we might be grasping at straws more than usual here :p
There were a lot of stages not shown, sorry. Pikmin, Palutena's Temple, Mario Galaxy, Windy Hill and more even. A lot for the 3DS too.

And shadow speculation is grasping at straws, lol. Straws are all we have here. We strive off of straws xD

Is this really worth our time?
nope xD

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Yeah yeah I feel dat.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can be 100% certain Ridley is a playable character right now anyway. He could still be a boss regardless, you gotta be down-to-earth, man. Besides, if you think like this and he turns out playable anyway, more hype!

Of course, of course! I would be reluctant to count it as a meaningful pattern even if a Zelda rep was confirmed, if I've gotta be honest. It'd just still have too much of a chance to be a meaningless coincidence to be credible. So basically... the trophy theory of victory is probably never gonna be seen as credible in my eyes.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
@ Snagrio Snagrio Don't worry about it lol.

Also in case you all missed it or didn't read, here's a Sakurai pattern for you all to discuss. If you're interested in discussing the way of the Sakurai.

"During pre-release times, we have never seen any newcomers or glimpses of parts of newcomers (such as shadows, tails, limbs, etc.) in anything shown by Sakurai, before they are intended to be fully revealed, by Sakurai."

Is this a pattern? Or not a thing? Is it insignificant? Or significant? Is it irrelevant due to its omissive nature, or can it be equally weighted with speculated patterns of commissive nature? Ooh. Exciting.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
seeing all this doubt... its almost like being back at gamefaqs.

guess im the only one with any real conviction, here. :glare:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wait a minute. @ N Nat Perry and @ NatP NatP are different people

This is so confusing

why would you do that to me

I just like playing the role of the skeptic. I honestly think Ridley has the highest chance of any other character right now, since we already know he's in the game. But Sakurai is unpredictable, Ridley might end up as a boss yet. None of us can know for sure

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
@ Snagrio Snagrio Don't worry about it lol.

Also in case you all missed it or didn't read, here's a Sakurai pattern for you all to discuss. If you're interested in discussing the way of the Sakurai.

"During pre-release times, we have never seen any newcomers or glimpses of parts of newcomers (such as shadows, tails, limbs, etc.) in anything shown by Sakurai, before they are intended to be fully revealed, by Sakurai."

Is this a pattern? Or not a thing? Is it insignificant? Or significant? Is it irrelevant due to its omissive nature, or can it be equally weighted with speculated patterns of commissive nature? Ooh. Exciting.
Hehehe, that's one of the things I've been thinking about lately. Sure, he could be the exception, but until then, I'd say that that works just as much as a point against us as a piece of our speculative evidence does for us.

It's worth doubting, man. We can't be all optimistic 100% of the time, after all. It'd be nice, but doubting sometimes is a lot better than foolishly charging forward and ending up more hurt and crushed than you thought you ever could be. Of course, not that it's inherently a bad thing to feel 100% that he's in. It's just not something I see how you could be without extreme bias, is all.

This is so confusing

why would you do that to me
THIS IS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO

I wondered alts for a second and thought "why" before accepting that they were different.

It's worth noting that some of the evidence we have is pretty convincing, though. I don't put all my stock in shadows, but if the people here are right, that's pretty damn playable-sized.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I'm pretty sure with all the evidence we have as of know, I'm fairly certain we're all 90-100% confident of Ridley's play-ability.
Also, since I'm a newbie to Smashboards.... if he was confirmed... would this become the MAIN ridley thread?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
THIS IS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO

I wondered alts for a second and thought "why" before accepting that they were different.

It's worth noting that some of the evidence we have is pretty convincing, though. I don't put all my stock in shadows, but if the people here are right, that's pretty damn playable-sized.
A lot of our evidence is circumstantial(patterns of deconfirmation aren't guaranteed), opinionated(Metroid is deserving, and under repped), or speculation(even if the shadows confirmed a size, it's speculation to take a small size to mean playable)

While each individual argument we have is fairly decent, none of them are strong enough to make me surprised if Ridley becomes a boss. Except for maybe the almost full year of teasing... If Ridley is a boss, that one will require some explanation imo. But sometimes I think we mistake having a lot of semi-convincing arguments for having one perfect argument.

Basically, I really, really want this, and the closer emotionally you are to an argument, the harder it is to view it rationally. So I make sure to stay overly skeptical, because if I went too close to being overly optimistic, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from 100% believing he's in, lol. You gotta understand, I've been wanting this since a few days after my account was made xD.

I'm pretty sure with all the evidence we have as of know, I'm fairly certain we're all 90-100% confident of Ridley's play-ability.
Also, since I'm a newbie to Smashboards.... if he was confirmed... would this become the MAIN ridley thread?
Yep. And I would make the "I was wrong" thread. I have all of the dibs

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
Hey man, I've been on this site since 09, if you want to blame anyone, blame the other guy. :awesome:

And yeah, I'm definitely not 100% sure of Ridley being a playable character either. But since I'm also not 100% sure he's a boss, I'm going to remain hopeful for him.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
It's worth doubting, man. We can't be all optimistic 100% of the time, after all. It'd be nice, but doubting sometimes is a lot better than foolishly charging forward and ending up more hurt and crushed than you thought you ever could be. Of course, not that it's inherently a bad thing to feel 100% that he's in. It's just not something I see how you could be without extreme bias, is all.
i am never optimistic, but i am excessively headstrong.

absolute determination is all i run on.

you people doubt, i'll believe hard enough for everyone.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i am never optimistic, but i am excessively headstrong.

absolute determination is all i run on.

you people doubt, i'll believe hard enough for everyone.
carry me pls

Hey man, I've been on this site since 09, if you want to blame anyone, blame the other guy. :awesome:

And yeah, I'm definitely not 100% sure of Ridley being a playable character either. But since I'm also not 100% sure he's a boss, I'm going to remain hopeful for him.
I could blame the other guy but that would only work if you really are different people... I'm still unconvinced.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
That would be awesome actually. Just let it continue to grow.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Found this while browsing reddit and conveniently had this thread open so I thought I'd share yet another "leak"

He looks so small and out of place, like he is not even Ridley anymore, look how Mario doesnt give a damn, he should be scared of him, THEY RUINED RIDLEY....

Did anybody put Splounge in my coffee?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
A lot of our evidence is circumstantial(patterns of deconfirmation aren't guaranteed), opinionated(Metroid is deserving, and under repped), or speculation(even if the shadows confirmed a size, it's speculation to take a small size to mean playable)

While each individual argument we have is fairly decent, none of them are strong enough to make me surprised if Ridley becomes a boss. Except for maybe the almost full year of teasing... If Ridley is a boss, that one will require some explanation imo. But sometimes I think we mistake having a lot of semi-convincing arguments for having one perfect argument.

Basically, I really, really want this, and the closer emotionally you are to an argument, the harder it is to view it rationally. So I make sure to stay overly skeptical, because if I went too close to being overly optimistic, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from 100% believing he's in, lol. You gotta understand, I've been wanting this since a few days after my account was made xD.
I understand that, heh~ I've long since accepted that I'm too close to Ridley to be able to say I'm neutral on the matter. I have my own opinions, and not even being skeptical can save me. I'm just hoping at this point, the debating and stuff is just on the side. It does sorta affect my hope levels, though.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
He looks so small and out of place, like he is not even Ridley anymore, look how Mario doesnt give a damn, he should be scared of him, THEY RUINED RIDLEY....

Did anybody put Splounge in my coffee?
In all honesty, that Ridley does look a tad too small, Splounge or not.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I can charge blindly for the 100% confirmation because I have a magical Robin shield with +3 magical defense against hopes crushing! if I only had that magical +2 mewtwo armor and with the magical + 4 Ridley sword, i could quest for the legendary +8 Simon Belmont magical ring!

in all seriousness, i still believe in aprox 85% chances, and i believe that the teasing awkwardness is the more solid evidence, but sadly isn't conclusive.

Top Bottom