• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Actually, it doesn't hint at Chorus Men at all, just that Rhythm Heaven gets a stage. Which I've figured was highly likely for some time now.

But I think it does help Ridley, because the fact is that Ridley has ALWAYS played some role in every Smash game to date, either as a background element or something else. But on the 3DS, this would mean Ridley isn't represented in any way, shape, or form, as none of these 3DS stages are connected to Ridley at all.
to your first point, that's pretty much what I said, that we've had plenty of stages without playable reps.

And your second point is more of an analyzation of a pattern than real evidence. While I admit I like where the pattern points, we really can't use it as evidence because Sakurai kills patterns like he kills puppies. Every day.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
What, you people are still treating this leak like it's legitimate info?

It was proven to be fake a long time ago. The leaker used The 3DS Fire Emblem stage's localized name (Ferox) instead of the original, which was Felia.

It really wasn't that hard to predict that Wily's Castle would make an appearance on the 3DS version.

That being said, I don't know if this is good for Ridley or not. On one hand, Sakurai considers the Yellow Devil to be integral part of the stage's promotion, to the point that it debuted along with the stage itself last year, while Ridley has yet to fully show up in the past 11 months. On the other hand, Sakurai might simply think that it's just fine for Ridley to be an exclusive "feature" of the Wii U version, like the Dark Emperor is on the 3DS version.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

It was proven to be fake a long time ago. The leaker used The 3DS Fire Emblem stage's localized name (Ferox) instead of the original, which was Felia.

It really wasn't that hard to predict that Wily's Castle would make an appearance on the 3DS version.

That being said, I don't know if this is good for Ridley or not. On one hand, Sakurai considers the Yellow Devil to be integral part of the stage's promotion, to the point that it debuted along with the stage itself last year, while Ridley has yet to fully show up in the past 11 months. On the other hand, Sakurai might simply think that it's just fine for Ridley to be an exclusive "feature" of the Wii U version, like the Dark Emperor is on the 3DS version.
I wouldn't call a single use of an english name over a japanese name a 100% reason to call this leak fake. Not saying I believe the leak, but it can't be thrown out that easily. I mean, hell, gematsu is still kicking. And I wouldn't a guessed we'd see Wily's Castle come to the 3DS version. Most of the stages have been very different between versions, I was expecting another Megaman setting, like how he had 2 pac man settings.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't call a single use of an english name over a japanese name a 100% reason to call this leak fake. Not saying I believe the leak, but it can't be thrown out that easily. I mean, hell, gematsu is still kicking. And I wouldn't a guessed we'd see Wily's Castle come to the 3DS version. Most of the stages have been very different between versions, I was expecting another Megaman setting, like how he had 2 pac man settings.
Gematsu isn't still kicking, people are just trying to dig it out of its grave. Chrom was never on the roster, leak is dead, game over. First half was legit, but second half is blatantly false.

I definitely don't buy this leak just yet, but we'll see.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, the way I see it, it's either good for Ridley, or has no impact on his chances. I don't think this news hurts Ridley's chances, and since it could be good for his chances, I think it's good news overall.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Gematsu isn't still kicking, people are just trying to dig it out of its grave. Chrom was never on the roster, leak is dead, game over. First half was legit, but second half is blatantly false.

I definitely don't buy this leak just yet, but we'll see.
dat post # 50,000

I don't buy this leak either, or gematsu. I thought gematsu looked very likely for a while, like a lot of people, but I never 100% believe a leak. I did sarcastically praise gematsu for awhile because I felt the boards were over obsessed with it.

I'd talk why I don't think gemtasu is dead either but I'm real tired of sal boards lol lets go back to ridley

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Don't you guys just love waiting? Wait, wait, wait. That seems to be all we do, aside from stray off topic and kill time. It's puzzling how we're waiting this long for a fictional purple space dragon that may or may not appear as a playable character in a fighting game. It's kind of humorous.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Just saw this posted on the Mewtwo forum. Pretty sure it's fake though.
I recognized most of those renders before. Knew it was fake before even watching the video.

What does this have to do with Ridley? We don't need some leak to be confident in his chances.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, I haven't actually watched this yet myself, but well, I participated in the discussion so I don't really need to watch it to know what's being said. Here's Wiidude's chat about Ridley featuring both me and his friend R.O.B. and beyond. Its also linking back to this thread, too.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
probably fake but is cool :) tought XD but the thing is if they didn't wanted to put king k rool but why put funky instead of Dixie ( IF IS REAL)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I actually wanted to post this. Take a look plz:

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/88984765921/rumor-mill-crashandcortexs-leak

While I have mostly written off ssb4dojo as a leak dump with hardly any quality control, I have to admit this one's pretty interesting in light of today's POTD...

If this list of 3DS stages is true, we're NOT getting a 3D Pyrosphere. We're getting SR388 (Metroid 2. No Fusion, 'cause it would be "SRX") as a 3DS Metroid stage. We're also getting Brinstar Depths from Melee.

Viewing the POTD was definitely a head scratcher, 'cause once again Sakurai seems to be treating Yellow Devil like a unique entity even though supposedly there are more like his kind. And if we're getting YD on the 3DS, and we have Dark Emperor on the 3DS (may just be a regular stage hazard), and "other bosses will make appearances", why isn't he using more general terms??

Heck, he groups the Wily Stage with the Boxing Ring stage rather than the Wily Stage with "other stages with boss characters". Maaaaybe it's because he hasn't officially declared any other characters out there as stage bosses. It's just odd to me.

Which is why I think it's still totally fine to question Ridley's role. Sakurai apparently wants to be clear when it matters, and this is anything but.
That leak is fake, Ferox is Felia in Japan and the names are consistently Japanese for the other stages. If that was an official debug list, they wouldn't have made that mistake.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Dumb leaks aside,

As for evidence, we have the Pyrosphere screenshots with teasing text, as well as the Direct clips with Sakurai mentioning boss battles while showing us a clip of the Pyrosphere with Ridley's shadow and tail.

As for patterns, we have the fact that Sakurai loves to tease the fans and many if not all his teases have come to fruition as presented/expected or something greater.

The Trophy Quiz holds no water yet, it is only estimated that it does. Having two instances follow an anticipated pattern does not indicate the predicted pattern's validity.

Just to establish a concrete basis to discuss on.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Dumb leaks aside,

As for evidence, we have the Pyrosphere screenshots with teasing text, as well as the Direct clips with Sakurai mentioning boss battles while showing us a clip of the Pyrosphere with Ridley's shadow and tail.

As for patterns, we have the fact that Sakurai loves to tease the fans and many if not all his teases have come to fruition as presented/expected or something greater.

The Trophy Quiz holds no water yet, it is only estimated that it does. Having two instances follow an anticipated pattern does not indicate the predicted pattern's validity.

Just to establish a concrete basis to discuss on.
Why would he tease Ridley as a glorified stage hazard, when he outright disconfirmed every other non-playable character right off the bat? Does he honestly think people are hyped for this downgraded appearance?

I'm not saying that it's an impossibility, in fact it could very well happen. But that would make Sakurai out of touch with what the fanbase really wants,

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Why would he tease Ridley as a glorified stage hazard, when he outright disconfirmed every other non-playable character right off the bat? Does he honestly think people are hyped for this downgraded appearance?

I'm not saying that it's an impossibility, in fact it could very well happen. But that would make Sakurai out of touch with what the fanbase really wants,
No idea man. I have a hard time believing that he was really trying to cater to the Chrom crowd for the Robin trailer, though, if that brings anything helpful to the discussion.

And it really could swing either way, but I have a hard time believing playable Ridley is going to happen given the evidence, despite his tendency of teasing things only to reveal them to be greater things. I'm guessing he assumed that we would assume that Ridley's a boss given how he dealt with it in the Direct.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I actually meant the post I quoted you in.

which kiiinda was an example and I was trying to be ironic.

I agree with your general point of too much on topic in this thread sometimes though

I try dammit ;(
You can't help it. Every Ridley topic has been discussed to no continue. New Ridley topics won't really be discovered till his role is confirmed in Smash 4.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
No idea man. I have a hard time believing that he was really trying to cater to the Chrom crowd for the Robin trailer, though, if that brings anything helpful to the discussion.

And it really could swing either way, but I have a hard time believing playable Ridley is going to happen given the evidence, despite his tendency of teasing things only to reveal them to be greater things. I'm guessing he assumed that we would assume that Ridley's a boss given how he dealt with it in the Direct.
Ok, those are some fair points. But why hasn't Sakurai outright revealed him attacking the fighters on Pyrosphere yet? If his boss hazard role is supposedly complete, we would have known that a long time ago.

There's no point to hiding him if he isn't playable.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You can't help it. Every Ridley topic has been discussed to no continue. New Ridley topics won't really be discovered till his role is confirmed in Smash 4.
I agree, it's a definite with this thread, especially with how fast it moves. At least we only have 2 months to go xD.

(I quoted you in the wrong thread, whoops xD)

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Again, no idea, but we haven't actually had a glimpse of an unrevealed character prior to their reveal. With Ridley we've seen part of his tail and shadow, which is quite the tease but kinda works against his favor if you take my previous statement into account. That is, if we're looking for patterns, and the pattern here is not seeing the character before the character is revealed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, no idea, but we haven't actually had a glimpse of an unrevealed character prior to their reveal. With Ridley we've seen part of his tail and shadow, which is quite the tease but kinda works against his favor if you take my previous statement into account.
Well, unless we're assuming G&W is getting cut this time around, we've seen his full model in Pac-Man's trailer. Furthermore, we also saw Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage prior to his reveal, everyone at that point thought he was disconfirmed, but a few weeks later? Toon Link confirmed, Alfonzo takes his place when he is selected.

NatP

Smash Ace
Hey guys, remember when Sakurai, back in the DOJO days, revealed Lucas and he also said "Ness has been in every smash game up until now"? Yeah.

D

Deleted member

That leak is fake, Ferox is Felia in Japan and the names are consistently Japanese for the other stages. If that was an official debug list, they wouldn't have made that mistake.
To play Devil's Advocate, Brawl listed Toad's trophy in the data under the English name (Toad) as opposed to the Japanese one (Kinopio). Even Toadette and Toadsworth were under their Japanese names.

What? No. Out of all big old school Nintendo franchises, Metroid is the one that gets its worst. Keywords: Big, old school.
Two words.
Donkey. Kong.
Metroid has overall more content featured than Donkey Kong thus far.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey guys, remember when Sakurai, back in the DOJO days, revealed Lucas and he also said "Ness has been in every smash game up until now"? Yeah.
As far as I am aware, that was not a lie. :troll:

Again, no idea, but we haven't actually had a glimpse of an unrevealed character prior to their reveal. With Ridley we've seen part of his tail and shadow, which is quite the tease but kinda works against his favor if you take my previous statement into account. That is, if we're looking for patterns, and the pattern here is not seeing the character before the character is revealed.
I am certain that the tail was accidental myself. It seemed erroneous to include his pix-elated tail while he quite clearly wanted to put the emphasis on the shadow.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Technically, we still haven't seen Ridley. We've only seen his shadow, and he has yet to even be mentioned by name. It's an odd situation where Sakurai clearly wants to draw attention to this enemy that can appear on the Pyrosphere, yet at the same time wants to avoid specifying just what it is we're seeing.

I find that suspicious.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Technically, we still haven't seen Ridley. We've only seen his shadow, and he has yet to even be mentioned by name. It's an odd situation where Sakurai clearly wants to draw attention to this enemy that can appear on the Pyrosphere, yet at the same time wants to avoid specifying just what it is we're seeing.

I find that suspicious.
We've seen him all right.

The tip of his tail, I mean.

I'll leave now.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Just saw this posted on the Mewtwo forum. Pretty sure it's fake though.
Thats faker than fakey faketish. look at the pic at "ridleys video" looks like he was just pasted with photoshop on a corner of te screen, whats was supposed that to be? that ridley role is to appear in a corner everytime someone gets burnd and growl toasty?

TKraix

Smash Rookie
Does someone know what is going to be streamed tomorrow on the Nintendo twitch channel? I only read that there will be some challenges on July 25th and July 26th. But what is on July 24th and July 27th? And on what times is Nintendo going to stream? I know this question may not fit in here, but it's important to know.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Well, to get things going, I once asked detractors how the would feel if Ridley was playable, almost every response was that they would be dissapointed and grumpy, except one who said he would go on a rampage. Bloody hell, some of them really act like they are going insane!
all the more reason ridley needs to be revealed as playable... i am going to get so much satisfaction from watching those people just completely lose it.

i dont even feel bad about saying it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Does someone know what is going to be streamed tomorrow on the Nintendo twitch channel? I only read that there will be some challenges on July 25th and July 26th. But what is on July 24th and July 27th? And on what times is Nintendo going to stream? I know this question may not fit in here, but it's important to know.
they are going to stream some splatoon.

Im joking i have no idea

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing he assumed that we would assume that Ridley's a boss given how he dealt with it in the Direct.
Assumception? But wouldn't he also assume that some might think that there was something suspicious. My head hurts...

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Many keep saying that Ridley will be last or second to last to be revealed or even post launch. That's actually practically impossible now.

With CoroCoro talking about all the currently known stages next month, Ridley's case has all but been deadlocked to that date. If they just quickly mention Pyrosphere and sidestep around the matter entirely then it's abundantly clear what's really going on, and they can't straight up avoid it either since such an event raised enough eyebrows at E3 with its absence. There's simply no way to keep Ridley's true fate secret after the fact without giving away the answer before the appointed time.

Bottom line, the Space Pirate cat will be out of the bag sooner rather then later at this rate.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Many keep saying that Ridley will be last or second to last to be revealed or even post launch. That's actually practically impossible now.

With CoroCoro talking about all the currently known stages next month, Ridley's case has all but been deadlocked to that date. If they just quickly mention Pyrosphere and sidestep around the matter entirely then it's abundantly clear what's really going on, and they can't straight up avoid it either since such an event raised enough eyebrows at E3 with its absence. There's simply no way to keep Ridley's true fate secret after the fact without giving away the answer before the appointed time.

Bottom line, the Space Pirate cat will be out of the bag sooner rather then later at this rate.
Fully agreed. I think Ridley will need to be announced before that point. Hopefully alongside K. Rool, but that's just me...

Top Bottom