• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Wonder what he would look like feathery...

D

Deleted member

To clear up confusion, Sakurai only said that Pit's, PIT'S gliding mechanic was cut, and in turn they gave him a different (although nearly just as good) recovery move and increased offensive potential/power. He never explicitly stated that the gliding mechanic was cut for all characters. Like the "other boss character appearances" thing and Ridley's playable status, the status of the gliding mechanic still being an option for other flying characters still has yet to be confirmed or disconfirmed.

All that we certainly know right now is that Pit can no longer glide, Sakurai never said that the gliding mechanic as a whole was cut across the board from all flying characters.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Sakurai's words: "we've cut the gliding mechanic from Pit's repertoire". He didn't say it was cut entirely.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sakurai's words: "we've cut the gliding mechanic from Pit's repertoire". He didn't say it was cut entirely.
Well, this with the fact that we haven't seen Charizard glide at all yet make some people suspect it's gone.

But with Meta-Knight being a noshow so far, and Charizard not being playable in the demo, we don't really know.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You're giving @ IsmaR IsmaR more material
This was my Sig for the longest time.

Anyway, all Ghiranim talk from here on out is getting warned/infracted as off topic. I really don't understand why I have to enforce this on the Ridley thread.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ridley's trailer has got to have him ripping Samus out of her spaceship and have Arwings chasing him down whilst shooting at him. Revealing :falco: or :wolf:. As he tries to annihilate Samus

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Can't remember exactly where it was said but I remember Sakurai mentioning it, if it's going to be given to a certain purple space Dragon is another question.

Found it

well, they specifically say it was cut from pit... so i assume he'll be the only one missing it?

that... kinda sucks... i was REALLY good with pit in brawl, now i will have to relearn his new play style... still, atleast they upgraded his flight ability to make up for it.

i think i recall reading... somewhere in this topic... that ridley could have his up special be something like a corkscrew attack with his wings wrapped around his body, and then upon reaching the peak, he throws his wings out and flies for a short time?

i think i read that, anyway... either that, or my memory is messing with me.

it sounds like a cool idea, though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Anyway, all Ghiranim talk from here on out is getting warned/infracted as off topic. I really don't understand why I have to enforce this on the Ridley thread.
Mmhmm. If I remember correctly it linked to the spongebob line.

Ridley's trailer has got to have him ripping Samus out of her spaceship and have Arwings chasing him down whilst shooting at him. Revealing :falco: or :wolf:. As he tries to annihilate Samus
Wolf would both fit the villains trailer and space tropes. I could see it.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
It makes sense for some to have gliding, and it doesn't for others. Gliding seems to be dependent on the source material in a sense, but I wouldn't be upset if gliding was cut in all.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Ridley needs to be the next character revealed or I'm gonna lose my sanity completely. Especially with Metroid's anniversary coming up in a few weeks. Then again, this IS Sakurai we're talking about.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Mmhmm. If I remember correctly it linked to the spongebob line.

Wolf would both fit the villains trailer and space tropes. I could see it.
Wolf would fit better there, but I just want Ridley to rip Samus' space ship apart. That would be so fulfilling as a Metroid fan.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wolf would fit better there, but I just want Ridley to rip Samus' space ship apart. That would be so fulfilling as a Metroid fan.
Or we could get Samus and Falco fighting, Ridley attacks both of them, and they team up against him.

But something tells me we won't see if Ridley's in the game until Sept. 14'th or so, lol. Unless an actual copy leaks.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I don't know if any of you have seen this video yet, but this guy makes a lot of good points. While the video is not directly about Ridley, you can apply a lot of the points he makes as reasons to include Ridley. Even if you don't think you can, it's worth a watch.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I hope for gliding mainly because Ridley flies through space with his apparently physics-defying wings that can fly without need for air.
Well, in Brawl, the gliding trio can glide on Lylat Cruise, in space, with no air

Ridley confirmed?

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that the Pyrosphere was revealed 10 months ago. We're nearing a year and we still don't know anything about this stage.
It's pretty clear that the only reason this stage was revealed so early, is to create speculation about Ridley. I can't think of any other reason why Sakurai would say nothing about a brand new stage. Usually he goes into detail when talking about stages. A good example is 3D Land, a stage Sakurai spent 4 pictures in one day on, just to show everything the stage had to offer. But with Pyrosphere, he only showed a crack in the wall.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman

I'm starting to think this is how the Ridley Support Thread got so big. As much as I respect Ridley supporters, I noticed this thread really is like a second Character Discussion Thread. Everyone that post in this thread, went off topic so many times. If it wasn't for the off topic discussions, I think the Ridley Support Thread would still be at around 15, 000 posts.

Back on topic. Is it wrong that I'm losing interest in playable Ridley, my most wanted character? Not saying that I don't want him playable. Right now I just don't care anymore. The waiting for his reveal is so frustrating and time consuming.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
C'mon, @ Phaazoid Phaazoid , play the Futurama clip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GDil0rGls

I'm sure this is what you're talking about

I'm starting to think this is how the Ridley Support Thread got so big. As much as I respect Ridley supporters, I noticed this thread really is like a second Character Discussion Thread. Everyone that post in this thread, went off topic so many times.
My post is totally not an example helping your point

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm starting to think this is how the Ridley Support Thread got so big. As much as I respect Ridley supporters, I noticed this thread really is like a second Character Discussion Thread. Everyone that post in this thread, went off topic so many times. If it wasn't for the off topic discussions, I think the Ridley Support Thread would still be at around 15, 000 posts.

Back on topic. Is it wrong that I'm losing interest in playable Ridley, my most wanted character? Not saying that I don't want him playable. Right now I just don't care anymore. The waiting for his reveal is so frustrating and time consuming.
I was pessimistic about his chances before TBH, but the reveal of Robin and Lucina made me hopeful for him again. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as frustrated as you are, but this time it's more directed at those who completely deny the indications that Sakurai was actually trolling Metroid fans.

The Trophy Quiz theory also helped, to some extent.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

We should probably bend this discussion back over to gliding, and whether its potential removal effects Ridley's chances or moveset.
Probably not. Gliding has the problem of being one-way traffic. It's great if you want to get somewhere, but if during your travel between point A (anywhere in the air) and point B (someone's noggin) you realize that you forgot to turn off the furnace, you'll either have to put up with your house burning down or...this analogue kind of died. Or simile. Analogistic Similonym for all I care.

Point is, it doesn't grant the mobility an air-based character needs. Air-based characters want to go places whenever they want, and gliding is too restrictive.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
My post is totally not an example helping your point
I know it isn't. I liked it because it relates to my on topic quote of why I'm losing patience for Ridley's reveal. He could be revealed in September when he should be revealed in August.
Here's hoping this was Sakurai's plan all along. He wants to make everyone that wants Ridley suffer before he's ready to unveil him.
Hopefully. Someone else stated this theory in YouTube comments.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
My only question is: Where did the Ridley hate come from? I mean I was never a big fan of Ridley initially but grew to like him. It seems that people seem to hate him nowadays cause they simply don't want him in. But why don't they? I always came to the conclusion that if Ridley is in… Everyone "wins." As Supporters get their favorite to play, and detractors don't have to play him and could beat the living tar out of him if they truly don't like his entry. We all know it's likely he's playable, there's evidence at the very least implying it, but where did the hate actually spawn from?

As far as a trailer goes: I can seriously picture Ridley with a bunch of other villains or being attacked by Samus and another character (possibly) veteran revealed. Seems like the most likely options.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Ridley's trailer should have him killing Chrom.
it could pick up where robin and lucina's trailer left off, chrom face down on the floor, and as he tries to struggle to get up... ridley smashes in from the ceiling and crushes chrom under his full weight.

"ridley smashes his way in!"

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
it could pick up where robin and lucina's trailer left off, chrom face down on the floor, and as he tries to struggle to get up... ridley smashes in from the ceiling and crushes chrom under his full weight.

I guess in a way trolling Chrom fans even more. But funny enough, I could see Robin casting a tome and Ridley eating his book like a sandwich, and then prepares to blast a ball of fire at him.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman

That is too funny :rotfl:
Sakurai must REALLY Not Like Chrom!

Last edited:
Top Bottom