• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The Galactic Federation is essentially a form of government. Governments as a rule have varying levels of stupidity, therefore it should surprise nobody that they constantly carry out such idiotic plans like reviving dangerous lifeforms that they previously wanted exterminated.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Keep spending most our lives living in a detracta's paradise~ ♪
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAHAHH ♫
Keep spending most our lives living in a detracta's paradise~ ♪
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAHAHH ♫

Shokio is just a loud Ridley detractor, he's not the one who started the controversy.
He is the one who spread the too big argument, an argument made by Ridley fans as a joke

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If it's for the good of Ridley, you guys can use any of the stuff I've made. (with mention that I was the one that made the item, to prevent confusion among the less informed)
Thanks. And of course if I use anything I'll credit it. There's just a bunch of really good size estimations and pictures here that really help people envision Ridley, it'd be a shame not to use some of them in such a post.

He is the one who spread the too big argument, an argument made by Ridley fans as a joke
It's like N3ON said. This guy might be especially loud, but it'd be the same without him honestly. I honestly doubt he cares about the issue either way, he's just trying to get views off of the controversy train. This 'debate' is a lot older than him, he's like a pebble in a river.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Lol, when people say "ruined"... :awesome: Muh mary sue

Anwyay I'm pretty sure the "Too Big" argument is a timeless demon, and Shokio sold his soul to the demon and publicized it so he could get subs on Youtube. Considering how he acts, sure wouldn't get any otherwise. :troll:

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I forgot to add it first, but then I edited the fact the too big argument was originally a joke
Actually, this used to be one of the most hotly debated topics, especially back pre brawl days. You'd be surprised how much attention that debate got.

It's only been perpetuated as a joke by current Ridley fans to try to further de-credit the argument, because we get tired of posting the same stuff over and over...

it's a big hassle

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd surmise that it's been a serious topic of debate since Ridley detractors wanted to come up with an argument that wouldn't just explain Ridley's omission in Brawl, but one that would also provide a reason towards his possible exclusion in future titles.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'd surmise that it's been a serious topic of debate since Ridley detractors wanted to come up with an argument that wouldn't just explain Ridley's omission in Brawl, but one that would also provide a reason towards his possible exclusion in future titles.
If anything, this means that we can say 'Mewtwo/Krystal/anyone won't be in because they weren't in the previous game' and they would get angry because they would look like hypcrites

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I can see that. I guess if you don't like the character, you don't want him in any smash game. It's kinda like how the boss argument is being used now, Ridley was a boss, and he'll be one from now on. Explains exclusion from brawl, and all future games.

And I have to admit, it's not one we can prove wrong at this point, and it does worry me a bit.

If anything, this means that we can say 'Mewtwo/Krystal/anyone won't be in because they weren't in the previous game' and they would get angry because they would look like hypocrites
That's a bit off from what she's saying. I think the point she's trying to make is the size argument gained a following because if the detractors were right about it, it means that it is something so intrinsic to Ridley's character that it would be reason to exclude him from all future smash games as well. And if you really hate a character, I guess that's what you want :/

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I can see that. I guess if you don't like the character, you don't want him in any smash game. It's kinda like how the boss argument is being used now, Ridley was a boss, and he'll be one from now on. Explains exclusion from brawl, and all future games.

And I have to admit, it's not one we can prove wrong at this point, and it does worry me a bit.
King Dedede can't be in the game, he was in the background of smash 64, like Ridley

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I wonder how many detractors, or even just people who just can't see Ridley be in smash change their mind if they see him in action. I'll admit I had a hard time picturing Mii's and Pac-Man in Smash Bros. (though had a harder time with Mii's), and some how Sakurai and the team managed to do it, which converted a decent number of the detractors against those characters.

Also another thing (can't remember if else anyone pointed it out), it does seem a bit odd out of all the characters to introduce air smashes, why Robin? Unless they just happened to be the first revealed who had it. I hope it is a hint towards Ridley, it would make too much sense for him to have Air Smash, as well as characters like Jigglypuff and maybe Falco if they come back.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If anything, this means that we can say 'Mewtwo/Krystal/anyone won't be in because they weren't in the previous game' and they would get angry because they would look like hypcrites
I don't see the connection... Ridley detractors usually take issue with Ridley's feasibility preventing his inclusion, but Mewtwo, Krystal, etc. are perfectly feasible characters, so an argument in the vein of some physical factor keeping them out wouldn't really catch on in the same way the "too big" argument has.

Not being in a previous game doesn't really make for a tight argument as to why a character might not be in a future game, you'd have to look at the reason that character wasn't included in the first place to get to the root of the argument.

That's a bit off from what she's saying. I think the point she's trying to make is the size argument gained a following because if the detractors were right about it, it means that it is something so intrinsic to Ridley's character that it would be reason to exclude him from all future smash games as well. And if you really hate a character, I guess that's what you want :/
Yesh, that's what I meant.

majora_787

Smash Hero
King Dedede can't be in the game, he was in the background of smash 64, like Ridley
Wolf can't be playable, he was just a cameo in Melee's intro. Like Ridley.

EDIT: I know, but people do actually pull the "BUT LAST GAME" card a lot. Even though it literally matters 0% of the time. As if changing roles from last game to this game isn't literally how we get any new characters whatsoever.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
refer to what I edited into my last post, it's not about previous appearances, it's about character traits.
Ah, slight miscommunication here
I don't see the connection... Ridley detractors usually take issue with Ridley's feasibility preventing his inclusion, but Mewtwo, Krystal, etc. are perfectly feasible characters, so an argument in the vein of some physical factor keeping them out wouldn't really catch on in the same way the "too big" argument has.

Not being in a previous game doesn't really make for a tight argument as to why a character might not be in a future game, you'd have to look at the reason that character wasn't included in the first place to get to the root of the argument.

Yesh, that's what I meant.
As long as the character has a pretty humanoid shape, important for nintendo, and could be fun to play as, they are feasible

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As long as the character has a pretty humanoid shape, important for nintendo, and could be fun to play as, they are feasible
Those last two don't factor into feasibility, and the first one is debatable. I do legitimately think some humanoid characters could be too big, those who are canonically much much larger than Ridley's largest appearance, I just think Ridley is not one of them, as he has been a size comparable to that of a playable character before.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Those last two don't factor into feasibility, and the first one is debatable. I do legitimately think some humanoid characters could be too big, those who are canonically much much larger than Ridley's largest appearance, I just think Ridley is not one of them, as he has been a size comparable to that of a playable character before.
I see, I presume you mean people like Hades or Medusa. Anyhow, I understand what you mean now

majora_787

Smash Hero
Medusa has canonically BEEN Palutena's size, and Hades could most likely resize himself but just doesn't want to. Though being too big isn't Hades' problem.

But yeah if Hades and Medusa aren't too big, Ridley being a couple of feet taller than TP Ganondorf definitely isn't too big.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dragons often have fur along their necks, but they're still considered reptilian. Granted they are fictional.
It's a shame "Granted it's fictional" can't be allowed in Smash Bros. :troll: For some reason Ridley has to be 100% bound by COMPLETE ACCURACY AND REAL WORLD PHYSICS. Unlike literally everyone else.

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
I had my first Ridley reveal trailer dream last night. I remember nothing, but trying to think about it makes me feel like I'm riding on the hype train through a really colorful tunnel.

What does this mean?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I had my first Ridley reveal trailer dream last night. I remember nothing, but trying to think about it makes me feel like I'm riding on the hype train through a really colorful tunnel.

What does this mean?
It means it was glorious!

It Kinda resembles a Winged Ganon, in my opinion.
A winged Ganon would be pretty epic, it could also refer to the phrase: When pigs fly. Nintendo seriously needs to do this one day

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Oh boy, that Pic of the day though! Wow, look at all that non-Ridley related nothing! So amazing!

Yeah, I would doubt Ridley even exists in Smash if we had not seen the shadow in the Direct. Not a single frame of evidence outside that 11~ second clip! It's like having intestines removed!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh boy, that Pic of the day though! Wow, look at all that non-Ridley related nothing! So amazing!

Yeah, I would doubt Ridley even exists in Smash if we had not seen the shadow in the Direct. Not a single frame of evidence outside that 11~ second clip! It's like having intestines removed!
I wouldn't mind Ridley's reveal taking place on that stage.

They start us out there to fake us out with Starfox, but since it's space, Ridley is there, or something.

Maybe Samus/Falco/Ridley or Samus/Wolf/Ridley or something

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
A winged Ganon would be pretty epic, it could also refer to the phrase: When pigs fly. Nintendo seriously needs to do this one day
Kind of cheating but in a sense he does

He's also big and purple like a certain dinosaur we know..

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Kind of cheating but in a sense he does

He's also big and purple like a certain dinosaur we know..

You said it was cheating yourself, because Puppet Ganon isn't even Ganon. That I know it's Puppet Ganon is suprising as I'm not that big on Zelda.

The 4 trophy thing has Ghirahim so I know there will be controversy about him aswell, even the 'hardcore christians' are going to complain about the media brainwashing people to accept homosexuality and that Ridley is refered to as the cunning God of Death. But hey! Ridlles and Ghirreles are going to make people happt regardless

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You said it was cheating yourself, because Puppet Ganon isn't even Ganon. That I know it's Puppet Ganon is suprising as I'm not that big on Zelda.

The 4 trophy thing has Ghirahim so I know there will be controversy about him aswell, even the 'hardcore christians' are going to complain about the media brainwashing people to accept homosexuality and that Ridley is refered to as the cunning God of Death. But hey! Ridlles and Ghirreles are going to make people happt regardless
Eh, I doubt Ghirahim. But my reasons would be far off-topic.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I wouldn't mind Ridley's reveal taking place on that stage.

They start us out there to fake us out with Starfox, but since it's space, Ridley is there, or something.

Maybe Samus/Falco/Ridley or Samus/Wolf/Ridley or something
That'd be cool, but my point was that we have had no proof of Ridley's role in nearly 4 months! Surely Sakurai could just slap him in a PoTD and go 'there ya go.' Why the unnecessary secrecy?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That'd be cool, but my point was that we have had no proof of Ridley's role in nearly 4 months! Surely Sakurai could just slap him in a PoTD and go 'there ya go.' Why the unnecessary secrecy?
Because Ridley is as tall as Bowser and wants to save Ridley up for hype so detractors get their dreams crushed as Sakurai shows that he is playable

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If he wants to save Wii U specific things for between the 3DS and Wii U release, for more unique content we don't know about, that would be a legitimate and disappointing reason

:/

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

The main issue people have with Ghirahim is he's made 1 appearance in the official games, 1!!. So having him over ANY other Zelda character wouldn't make sense, and it would be insulting to people who want Zelda reps who have more of a presence or importance in the games. Though this isn't the thread to be talking about him. Call me a hypocrite but I couldn't leave that straw man standing.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The main issue people have with Ghirahim is he's made 1 appearance, 1!!. So having him over ANY other Zelda character wouldn't make sense, and it would be insulting to people who want Zelda reps who have more of a presence or importance in the games. Though this isn't the thread to be talking about him. Call me a hypocrite but I couldn't leave that straw man standing.
Shiek had one appearance before her appearance in melee, I'm pretty sure.

She wasn't even as major a character in her game as Ghirahim was in skyward sword. (note that I haven't played either of those games so that opinion might not hold up)

D

Deleted member

Except....Sheik was Zelda.
Are you saying Zelda wasn't a major character in OoT?

Top Bottom