• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
A screenshot of Ridley (not a completely operational boss/hazard) would be relatively easy to produce and would end pointless speculation about Ridley as a playable character immediately. What COULD continue would be the speculation for how Ridley functions in the stage.

Here's your Post of the Day caption "Here's Ridley, a reoccuring enemy from Samus' past! Like Yellow Devil, he'll interact with other fighters on the stage but in ways never before seen in Smash. How exactly? Only time will tell!"

The hype machine is still alive but the hopes of Ridley fans can be quietly laid to rest.
I have no argument for that one, that makes perfect sense and is certainly believable as something Sakurai would do, so it's slightly odd he didn't. Then again, remember Palutena? Leaked (fake) screenshot, three days in which the POTD was about Kid Icarus, followed by like two months of silence until E3. Given, April to October is significantly longer, but he clearly also likes to make the community squirm.

The weird thing is...

...he doesn't really seem finished.
I might be wrong here, it's possible that all bosses actually have lower quality textures, models and shading. But it sure as hell looks all kinds of off on Ridley. Combine this with the fact that his stocks have the old Brawley face and...well yeah. It's weird, ok?
Well, like I said earlier in reference to Sakurai showing ATs and whatnot and saying "they aren't playable," while this build of Ridley may not necessarily be 100% done and ready to go, Sakurai's clearly satisfied with where he currently stands. He might have some slight wonkiness to him, but he's clearly almost ready to go, so there was no point holding it off any longer. Concerning the Brawl icon, it's likely just a placeholder, since the Direct was likely ready for a bit and it's an easy fix, even if the Direct was only just finalized.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
*sigh* Are you Sakurai? I really hate it when people put words (or feelings) into another person. This is the kind of stuff that will lead to this thread getting locked.

Also "Sakurai has the ability to implement him, he just chose not to...you really think Sakurai just "couldn't figure it out"?"

That really isn't a respectable thing for a developer to do. If he really wasn't able to, I can understand that. He isn't this super human. But if he was but just didn't want to? Now that is a different story.
Oh does he have to want to add a popular character when he -doesn't need to-

Yes it would please alot of fans, so would Goku, or any other character anyone wants.

If he wants Ridley as a boss, which seems to be the case by now, that is Ridley's role in Smash Bros.

And as I've stated multiple times, he doesn't have to please every fanbase for sales, the game will sell well without playable Ridley, or Isaac or K.Rool/Dixie or Impa or Ice Climbers/Wolf/Snake/Ivysaur/Squirtle.

Why do you think this should be a priority for him? He's made up his mind.

BD2751

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bd2751
I don't think there's much to the difference in sizes from the April Direct to the Oct Direct. I bet the infamous "Other Boss Appearances" shadow shot was made just for that direct for a fun tease. There's lots of more plausible reasons for that than him once being playable and being cut, like Ridley still being incomplete at the time.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I'll take back what I said about never playing pyrosphere if Ridley is a hazard. Now that I can just run over and high five him to become bros-fo-life, I will be playing it a lot.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Yes it would please alot of fans, so would Goku, or any other character anyone wants.

If he wants Ridley as a boss, which seems to be the case by now, that is Ridley's role in Smash Bros.

And as I've stated multiple times, he doesn't have to please every fanbase for sales, the game will sell well without playable Ridley, or Isaac or K.Rool/Dixie or Impa or Ice Climbers/Wolf/Snake/Ivysaur/Squirtle.

Pretty much this. At this point it should be safe to say that Sakurai only see's Ridley as boss material and not playable. At least until he manages to change his mind in time for the next Smash. This man is a hypocrite after all.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I have no argument for that one, that makes perfect sense and is certainly believable as something Sakurai would do, so it's slightly odd he didn't. Then again, remember Palutena? Leaked (fake) screenshot, three days in which the POTD was about Kid Icarus, followed by like two months of silence until E3. Given, April to October is significantly longer, but he clearly also likes to make the community squirm.
For starters, Sakurai didn't leak the fake Palutena screenshot so you can't suggest Sakurai used it as part of his hype management. How fans reacted to it is entirely their own doing.

Palutena hype went the exact opposite direction of Ridley. There was teasing for Palutena, both in the trophy fake out and Pit's new Final Smash, but unlike Ridley, Palutena became playable. That's an appropriate way to handle a character. If Palutena was not playable, fans could accuse Sakurai of misdirection and it would have some validity.

I really don't understand how Sakurai could slip up so badly on the Ridley hype. It makes sense if he were hyping a stage hazard that no one could possibly assume to be a playable character, such as Master Hand or Metal Face but Ridley is a highly requested character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You see it like being a lapdog, I see it like Ridley thinking "****, they're strong enough to kill me!" and just leaving them alone to save his own life.
Like in Other M when Samus nearly killed him or when Anthony got a hit in with his Plasma Gun before Ridley was fully evolved only with less turning tail and fleeing and more Little Birdie levels of manipulation (using a stronger force to assist his goal; in this case, getting rid of the other trespassers in his domain with the possible intent that the one he "sided" would end up being weakened enough to no longer be a threat).

Ridley may be a bloodthirsty monster, but he's not a dumb berserker. You should know that already. So instead of trying to turn this into a "Sakurai's incompetent because Ridley's not playable" look at it more as this portraying more of Ridley's intelligent side.
I'm going off of the simplest possible explanation that the team opted to put Ridley into this role as a Pyrosphere-exclusive gameplay mechanic to spice up the stage, rather than that they sat down, brainstormed the best way to demonstrate Ridley's deceptive intelligence, and, out of all possible roles, stuck him in this one that only vaguely showcases it.

Also, don't put the words "Sakurai's incompetent" into my mouth just because I'm critical of his priorities. Of course, if the Project M team and @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros can get Ridley to work just fine playable and the actual Smash team can't, I don't know what else to call that but incompetence on their part.

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord

I'm not saying he "needs to", I'm just saying it is not ideal in order to be a respectable developer. Imagine if Sakurai chose not include Mewtwo because he just didn't want to. I know there may be understandable reasons as to why he couldn't include certain characters, but the reasons you are projecting onto him are making him look like he's some sort of a**hole.
I never said it should be his priority, putting words into other people's mouth is not advised.

Last edited:

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
The Ridley thread's open!? Hey guys, I missed all of you! :D We may still see him as DLC, there's still hope! I mean, not for THIS Ridley but, maybe the Ridley from prime or super metroid could be in? Eh? :grin:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Apologies if this ends up being a double-post, but this didn't fit as something that should've been left in my reply to SuperSegaSonicSS

Some of you might remember me posting in here back in September (To link my specific post, http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-dynablad-mite.324284/page-1831#post-17487115) and I'll start by saying, yes, I certainly was a bit too rough or what have you in that post. I was getting tired of everyone doing all they could to try and salvage Ridley as playable when he clearly wasn't, and it was starting to piss me off. Plus it was 1 am and I'm more likely to be blunt when I'm tired. To point out to everyone here, it's not that I don't like Ridley. I'm not saying Metroid doesn't need another rep, or that he's a terrible idea for Smash. But when I came here a month ago to tell you all why it's not happening and why you needed to accept it, it's because he wouldn't actually be Ridley if he was playable.

(dropping this next bit into a spoiler because it's all info restated from my linked post, but more civilly worded, so read this if you didn't see my original post)
To start with, he'd be noticeably too small - yes, the Dorf got shrunk for Smash, but his height wasn't halved, and even if it was, he isn't a behemoth like Ridley. If you go and actually look at a thumbnail of Ridley in the Melee opening, he looks incredibly unnatural at that size. The other problem is something Sakurai has said himself - while they could totally put Ridley in if they put a ton of work into it, he'd also be incredibly slow. Slow isn't one of the things that comes to mind when I think about Ridley. What I'm trying to say is, if my most wanted character got in the game, but wasn't even remotely what one should expect from them, I'd be pissed. If Shantae made it in and it turned out she was actually a lumbering brawler-type, I'd be pissed as all hell. Same should go for you guys and Ridley - do you want to play as an itty-bitty, slow as all hell Ridley?

At the very least, you guys are still taking it better than the NO YOSHI NO BUY crowd, but I can tell you're hurting more than you should be. I tried to warn you, and you didn't listen. You wrote me off as nothing more than a hater and/or troll, when I was simply pointing out that it was clear from the start that he would be a stage boss and that you needed to stop being so adamant that he must be playable, in an effort to prevent exactly this from happening. You've no one to blame but yourselves.

To be honest, I would totally say I'm sorry for your most-wanted character not making it in, but your want of Ridley graduated past wishful thinking and turned into tinfoil hat central. Trust me, I know the feeling of desperately wanting a character in *cough*Shantae*cough*, but part of that is accepting that there's every chance you aren't going to get them. At least then, you'll be a lot less disappointed when they aren't in, or pleasantly surprised if they are. In Ridley's case, you SHOULD be feeling a mix of both - slight disappointment due to wanting him in, but not too much because you already accepted it was a long shot from the start, and some joy that at least he made it in in an arguably bigger role than Brawl.
Ok, I guess I should reply to this. Yes, Ok, you were right. Congrats. I'm pretty sue half of the community figured that would happen. Maybe not in your face, but the thought was still there. I even thought I was one of the people who said, "well I still think there could be a chance, but I can see you being right. So let's just see what happens." And guess what? You were right. So again, congrats. You're showing exactly why we stayed dormant with the possibility that Ridley could still make it just to prove you and others like you wrong. This sense of "I'm right, I'm always right, and you should listen to all I say" is nothing but pure Superiority talk and it's like being prejudice. All the supporters did was hoped for the best, but expected the worst. But people like you, though honestly you're not as worse off then them, come to a place that grew differently than most other support groups out there. This place is known famously and infamously by both the fans and by the "detractors" as I now will use a different name for respect from a certain member here, "Neutralists".

The fans here have come so far, 15+ years, some from the beginning, some as for myself at the end. But compared to most other groups out there, the Ridley support group has evolved into something more "special" then the other groups in comparison. I know the Mewtwo fans and the K Rool fans are great and strong communities, but the Ridley support group seems to have became something more then a "support group" or just any old "community". Every one of the Ridley fans became basically a big family and that is why we are who we are. We became something that probably no other community has ever had as a whole, a group of people bonded together by friendship and loving care for one another and for their thoughts and wishes. We were there to the very end, which happened multiple on multiple of times, and we're still strong as a community.

That's why we did what we did and frankly, I doubt any thing you guys do, tell, preach, claim, or outright state as fact about Ridley's role in Smash Bros will ever change our minds. We are Space Pirates. We will never falter. No matter the outcome, no matter how " impossible" Ridley being playable ever is, we will keep supporting him to be playable. We supported for 15+ years and we will support him for another 15 and beyond. No one will ever deter us from the idea that Ridley is needed for Smash Bros and would make a excellent fighter. No matter how long it will take, we will forever support Ridley to be playable in Smash. I know I will. And to be honest? It's no longer to "prove anyone right" anymore. No. It's for all the friends I made from this wonderful community that I dare call my home and family. I support Ridley as a character for Smash because of the community and nothing more.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Wow, what a surviving bunch.

I have to hand it to you guys, it's harder to keep you dead than Ridley himself, but I hang my hype hat here, good luck on that whole DLC thing by the way, though I see it highly unlikely.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
For starters, Sakurai didn't leak the fake Palutena screenshot so you can't suggest Sakurai used it as part of his hype management. How fans reacted to it is entirely their own doing.

Palutena hype went the exact opposite direction of Ridley. There was teasing for Palutena, both in the trophy fake out and Pit's new Final Smash, but unlike Ridley, Palutena became playable. That's an appropriate way to handle a character. If Palutena was not playable, fans could accuse Sakurai of misdirection and it would have some validity.

I really don't understand how Sakurai could slip up so badly on the Ridley hype. It makes sense if he were hyping a stage hazard that no one could possibly assume to be a playable character, such as Master Hand or Metal Face but Ridley is a highly requested character.
I wasn't saying he leaked the fake Palutena shots, but I was saying that he's fully aware of what's going on in the community. He knew people saw the leak, he knew people thought it was real (when he knew it was fake but also still leaking she was playable), and he knew people would know he knew when he posted three KI PsOTD in a row. The point was, it's not unlike Sakurai to tease something, then completely ignore it for months.

The Ridley thread's open!? Hey guys, I missed all of you! :D We may still see him as DLC, there's still hope! I mean, not for THIS Ridley but, maybe the Ridley from prime or super metroid could be in? Eh? :grin:
I pointed this out like a month ago, Super/Prime Ridley wouldn't match with Other M Samus/ZSS aesthetically. Characters from the same series all match aesthetically to the last time they were in the same game (not counting Toon Link, obviously, as he was never in the same game as regular Link/Zelda/Sheik/Dorf, thus why Link/Zelda didn't get updated to Skyward Sword - neither Sheik nor Ganondorf were in that, so the last time they were all together [Sheik in concept art only] was Twilight Princess, thus us being stuck with that terrible TP Ganondorf design).

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying he "needs to", I'm just saying it is not ideal in order to be a respectable developer. Imagine if Sakurai chose not include Mewtwo because he just didn't want to. I know there may be understandable reasons as to why he couldn't include certain characters, but the reasons you are projecting onto him are making him look like he's some sort of a**hole.
I never said it should be his priority, putting words into other people's mouth is not advised.
So you are saying he's not an ordeal developer because he excluded Ridley? Your previous post made it seem like you were insisting he "needed to put in Ridley" and my last post sums up everything pretty perfectly. He didn't HAVE to include Mewtwo, he chose to because he fits and is popular, and HE wanted to make Mewtwo a playable fighter, it's that simple.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'll take back what I said about never playing pyrosphere if Ridley is a hazard. Now that I can just run over and high five him to become bros-fo-life, I will be playing it a lot.
Pyrosphere seems like such a fun stage to play on. I mean, it got so many hazards and gimmicks but it feels right. I don't know why.

I'm going off of the simplest possible explanation that the team opted to put Ridley into this role as a Pyrosphere-exclusive gameplay mechanic to spice up the stage, rather than that they sat down, brainstormed the best way to demonstrate Ridley's deceptive intelligence, and, out of all possible roles, stuck him in this one that only vaguely showcases it.
The stage already is fairly spicy though. It got flying guns, larvae, and...those weird floating things.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
WHAT THE HELL HAS JUST HAPPENED !?!?!?!?!?!?
I'VE JUST WATCHED THE DIRECT ?!?!?!?!?!?!
MEWTWO ?!?!?!?!?!?
RIDLEY IS A BOSS WHO PLAYS LIKE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER ?!?!?!?!?!?!
MY HEAD IS EXPLODING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
AND THE OLD DEAR THREAD IS BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
This now just turning into a pointing fingers game,right now in MY PERSONAL OPINION,the only way sakurai can change his point of view of ridley,is ridley changing himself,I could mention another bunch of things like people already said,but this would turn more into a metroid discussion rather than a smash bros one,and a behavior comparison in their respective games has nothing to do with the core game itself.

In a general overview pyrosphere is a good stage that represent metroid other m in his pure form,with all the GOOD things that game offered.

"But metroid other m is a bad game and the metroid fanbase doesn't give a **** to it"-you say.

I just say that is not sakurai's problem,super smash bros is a game to represent series not change the curse of the history,metroid is represented in the game,his job is done.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
WHAT THE HELL HAS JUST HAPPENED !?!?!?!?!?!?
I'VE JUST WATCHED THE DIRECT ?!?!?!?!?!?!
MEWTWO ?!?!?!?!?!?
RIDLEY IS A BOSS WHO PLAYS LIKE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER ?!?!?!?!?!?!
MY HEAD IS EXPLODING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
AND THE OLD DEAR THREAD IS BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, yes, I'll notify your relatives, and yes.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Well, it was a hell of ride, grasping for a chance while Sakurai ignores the issue. I'm glad it's over, though. See ya later, space pirate.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Well, there is one glimmer of hope. Ridley looks like he has an actual moveset. He even has an in-game icon... Maybe some hacker could... make him playable?

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
So you are saying he's not an ordeal developer because he excluded Ridley? Your previous post made it seem like you were insisting he "needed to put in Ridley" and my last post sums up everything pretty perfectly. He didn't HAVE to include Mewtwo, he chose to because he fits and is popular, and HE wanted to make Mewtwo a playable fighter, it's that simple.
What did I tell about putting words into my mouth? Also, we are talking about the IFs. IF Sakurai actually just "didn't want him in" or IF Sakurai couldn't put him in because X or X. I'm saying it wouldn't be ideal for him to exclude a character just because "he didn't want him", not because he just didn't put him in. As a developer for a game like this it is best to put consideration into their consumers' wants if it's possible. They aren't making these games for themselves you know. I'd like to believe Nintendo is the kind of developer that cares for what it's consumers want (unlike a lot of other companies), and if it's within their abilities then why not? Like I said, if Sakurai couldn't, it's understandable. If it happens he did have everything at his disposable to make Ridley a fully functioning character. The time, the assets, the animations, the balancing, the space on the console, whatever, but still decided not to, then that is a d*** move. I honestly don't support the attitude that the consumer should always accept the producer's choices. Pretty much misses the entire charm of the market economy.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Well, there is one glimmer of hope. Ridley looks like he has an actual moveset. He even has an in-game icon... Maybe some hacker could... make him playable?
Would probably be missing too many moves. We've only seen his claw swipe move, his entrance and the tail stab from the bottom of the stage. The last two aren't actually usable for a playable character. I'm sure he has more like the obvious fire breath, but yeah.

Honestly I'm just impressed that he actually looks kinda fun.

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Good to see this thread again.

I may be the only one who thinks this (from what I've read so far, I may be wrong) but the boss gimmick doesn't do him justice.

I'm not saying this because I think playability would do him justice, but the way they designed him as boss DOES NOT do him justice in the slightest.

Again, it might just be me, but after seeing the direct, I was baffled by how they designed him. He just doesn't feel...like Ridley in the slightest to me. Maybe it's teaming up with the character that beat him up. Or how "Meta-Ridley" isn't exactly Meta-Ridley at all. Or maybe his attacks just aren't Ridley enough.

And dear God, why is it only boss Ridley gets a KO stock? You're this close to making him basically a playable character, just do it already...

It just...makes me sad they think so little of this character and of this franchise.

I've never been this upset about anything in Smash that's disappointed me...but this...it just sickens me.

Honestly, I don't care if nobody agrees with me or they don't see my side. I'm here to vent my frustration, and I don't think I'll ever change my mind. This is supposed to be a game about bringing All-Stars together to clash, and I don't think the developers did their job for one of those fighters, Boss or otherwise.

I will still hold out for the Super Metroid version of Ridley as DLC in the future. Only then will I even consider fighting that awful, ugly version they are calling "Ridley".

Until then, Omega Pyrosphere. I might as well listen to the music. It's the only thing they are doing right with the franchise...

Space Pirates never falter! Ridley for DLC! If not for this game, then Smash 5! I will always hope for a playable Ridley!

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Here what I think:
He's going to be a DLC
Because Masahiro saved the most wanted characters for DLC (to force people buying them)
He hasn't a trophy in the 3DS (but it doesn't matter anymore because Mewtwo has one and here we are)
He has a moveset and all like a character !!!!!!!!!!!!!
He can even walk or staying on the ground after taking damages !!!!!
popularity + a made model/animations = DLC
TOO HYPE TOO HYPE TOO HYPE
I HAVE TO CALM DOWN AND .... I DO NOT KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have theory about why model looks blurry (it also has bone on upper jaw that should not even exist - it makes him look ridicolous when he opens his mouth). If model is scaled up without making textures more detailed and bigger (not just resizing like you would in MS Paint, more like doing that and then redrawing everything to make it look less pixelated and just more detailed), textures will look blurry when compared to everything else. Here is proof:

Who has less blurry textures? Obviosly, Ganondorf even though their textures' size is nearly equal. So, what if Ridley originally was a playable character, but then they dropped this idea for whatever reasons (maybe because of how many bones they would need to add to Ridley and he would require at least 400 animations with nearly everything animated with high quality) and used same model without bothering to edit it properly. What do you think of it? There is nothing backing it up other than my partial knowledge of how models and textures work and the way model looks like. It won't help us anyhow and will only help explain Boss Ridley's "backstory".

Also, IMO, this model looks awful even when compared to Other M Ridley - shading is awful, mouth is rigged terribly (upper jaw CAN MOVE ON ITS OWN without having to move head up and it also becomes smaller when it moves too high up), he is too slow (compare to original Other M boss and even Brawl one). I did better work than they did and i did that by just moving verticles and making parts of texture darker. At least he is closer to how Ridley actually fights in Other M than Brawl Ridley.

Oh, and we'd better report everyone who came here to "collect our tears". At least i will.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion,

Super Metroid Ridley will be a DLC character.

1. DLC characters are now confirmed. They will not only have mewtwo and call it off. They won't set up the dlc infrastructure for just one character. They will make money off this by providing quality dlc. Just like Mario kart 8 and Hyrule warriors.

2. It looks like move set concepts can be taken from the similar stage boss that acts like a potentional playable character. This could cut tier development time for a dlc character, which they have stressed takes a long time.

3. The stock image is of Super Metroid Ridley for Other M ridley. That's like having a paper Mario stock icon for Mario.

Do not expect Ridley at release. That will not happen. However, spring or summer dlc is a strong possibility.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
What did I tell about putting words into my mouth? Also, we are talking about the IFs. IF Sakurai actually just "didn't want him in" or IF Sakurai couldn't put him in because X or X. I'm saying it wouldn't be ideal for him to exclude a character just because "he didn't want him", not because he just didn't put him in. As a developer for a game like this it is best to put consideration into their consumers' wants if it's possible. They aren't making these games for themselves you know. I'd like to believe Nintendo is the kind of developer that cares for what it's consumers want (unlike a lot of other companies), and if it's within their abilities then why not? Like I said, if he couldn't, it's understandable. If it happens he did have everything at his disposable to make Ridley a fully functioning character. The time, the assets, the animations, the balancing, the space on the console, whatever, but still decided not to, then that is a d*** move. I honestly don't support the attitude that the consumer should always accept the producer's choices. Pretty much misses the entire charm of the market economy.
I'm not putting words in your mouth I'm pretty much repeating what you are saying...lol

I guess we're beating a dead horse on this point. I don't think Sakurai was trolling this fanbase, I believe he teased at Ridley as a stage boss and people took it much further out of excitement and hope. Only Sakurai knows why he didn't include Ridley as a fighter, eventhough I think I have an idea why I could be completely off, but I think I'm on the right track, I guess we'll see.

Here's something to think about:

Sakurai knows Ganondorf fans would love him to have a unique moveset with dark magic, floating and maybe a sword or two, but he kept him as a Falcon clone again, less and less each installment but it's still the case. Why hasn't he changed Ganondorf's moveset? Because he likes it the way it is, and won't change that, even if it would make people happy, because maybe it would make some people unhappy, people who like smash Ganondorf and are used to him like that. Maybe he believes Ridley should just stay a boss because it's a big badass boss. Other villains are easy to implement into the game as fighters (Bowser, Ganondorf, you get the idea)

Sakurai does things the way he wants. He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to, the game will sell. He knows this.

How many people are going to not get the game because a certain character or even a few characters aren't playable? None. There are people that might get interested in the game if they added a favorite yeah, but he does no harm to sales by leaving them out.

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't understand any of these arguments.

Is Ridley a stage element? Yes. Can Ridley still be a DLC character? Since it is not literally IMpossible, then yes, it is possible.

So the point of the thread is to either support Ridley as a future character, or leave it the hell alone if you don't care.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In my opinion,

Super Metroid Ridley will be a DLC character.

1. DLC characters are now confirmed. They will not only have mewtwo and call it off. They won't set up the dlc infrastructure for just one character. They will make money off this by providing quality dlc. Just like Mario kart 8 and Hyrule warriors.

2. It looks like move set concepts can be taken from the similar stage boss that acts like a potentional playable character. This could cut tier development time for a dlc character, which they have stressed takes a long time.

3. The stock image is of Super Metroid Ridley for Other M ridley. That's like having a paper Mario stock icon for Mario.

Do not expect Ridley at release. That will not happen. However, spring or summer dlc is a strong possibility.
Super Metroid Ridley will look horribly out of place when compared to Other M content. Its like having WW Ganondorf instead of TP one when both Link and Zelda are using their TP design. Mewtwo fits with other pokemons perfectly because they always have nearly exactly same design in every game (with changes like Pikachu becoming slimmer through generations). SM Ridley just won't.
How many people are going to not get the game because a certain character or even a few characters aren't playable? None.
You are exaggerating it. There IS peoples who would want to buy this game if there would be characters they wanted, but if there are none of those that are not present in previous games, then there is no point in buying the game for them. I am one of those guys for example. I have Samus, Dedede, Meta Knight, Kirby, Charizard, Bowser (and soon Ridley) in Brawl and, of course, Project M, so, i don't need SSB4 since there is nothing interesting for me other than HD graphics.

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Well this was unexpected. :p Didn't think the thread would be reopened but it's nice to see people back. :) Anyhoo, I personally don't mind the fact Ridley is a stage hazard now. Sure it would've been nice to have Ridley as a playable character and maybe still if he is possible for DLC however I'm just happy that he is in in some form. Still, I couldn't help but notice how close to being a playable character he is with a potential moveset and the stock image of him (despite the fact it's the brawl iteration of him). Do you guys think Ridley DLC could happen?

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Super Metroid Ridley will look horribly out of place when compared to Other M content. Its like having WW Ganondorf instead of TP one when both Link and Zelda are using their TP design. Mewtwo fits with other pokemons perfectly because they always have nearly exactly same design in every game (with changes like Pikachu becoming slimmer through generations). SM Ridley just won't.
Yeah... It's not impossible to make them not look out of place. And god forbid if it is some how impossible and we have contrast like Ganondorf and Toon Link.

It will be apocalyptic. But we will survive.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really sure what to think, haha. I mean, in one respect, we were right. Every straw we grasped about Ridley was indeed correct. Possibility of DLC, characters that are shared between versions, the strange jerky movement and resizing reminiscent of a playable character. I mean, if it's any consolation, we had every right to be confused. We saw more coming than most.

But when it comes down to it... Other M was probably just too damaging to the series. Don't get me wrong. I actually liked Other M. But I never really saw it as a Metroid game. It was more like how Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game. All the themes and familiarities are there, but it's just not the same. Imagine how it'd feel to have Agitha and her attacks torn from Hyrule Warriors instead of Zelda, or everything inspired by that art style. That's the feeling.

Ridley's Other M design is awful. There's no way around it. It not only looks bad on a conceptual level, it looks bad in terms of texture quality and model "cleanliness". His stomach and chest are like... early-gamecube dirty. And by the looks of things, that has not changed in the slightest. Maybe it'll change by release, but they historically haven't "shown things off" in pictures until it was ready to be shown.

I do think it's a great idea for them to make characters periodically. Making a character is a significantly lower investment than making a game, and they could keep the life of Smash going for a very long time. It would be a huge boost to the Wii U, which is very much needed. And with that comes the sale of limited edition amiibos. It's really brilliant. Like Skylanders but for all ages and with (theoretically) timeless gameplay.

All that being said, I have to admit I think it's over. This coming from someone who did not give up hope even after the release of the 3DS version. I do still support his inclusion, but it's obvious that until we get a game to wipe free the memory of Other M, we're going to only be getting things from it. At this point, I think it's honestly more likely that we'll get Furbley than a fully-fledged Ridley. So I suppose we have to hope for a new Metroid game first.

Anybody have a spare straw? I seem to have lost mine.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I'm not putting words in your mouth I'm pretty much repeating what you are saying...lol

I guess we're beating a dead horse on this point. I don't think Sakurai was trolling this fanbase, I believe he teased at Ridley as a stage boss and people took it much further out of excitement and hope. Only Sakurai knows why he didn't include Ridley as a fighter, eventhough I think I have an idea why I could be completely off, but I think I'm on the right track, I guess we'll see.

Here's something to think about:

Sakurai knows Ganondorf fans would love him to have a unique moveset with dark magic, floating and maybe a sword or two, but he kept him as a Falcon clone again, less and less each installment but it's still the case. Why hasn't he changed Ganondorf's moveset? Because he likes it the way it is, and won't change that, even if it would make people happy, because maybe it would make some people unhappy, people who like smash Ganondorf and are used to him like that. Maybe he believes Ridley should just stay a boss because it's a big badass boss. Other villains are easy to implement into the game as fighters (Bowser, Ganondorf, you get the idea)

Sakurai does things the way he wants. He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to, the game will sell. He knows this.

How many people are going to not get the game because a certain character or even a few characters aren't playable? None. There are people that might get interested in the game if they added a favorite yeah, but he does no harm to sales by leaving them out.
"So you are saying he's not an ordeal developer because he excluded Ridley?" So tell me if you are repeating what I said then tell where exactly I told you this?
I honestly don't support the attitude that the consumer should always accept the producer's choices. Pretty much misses the entire charm of the market economy.
Even if the game will still sell:
I'd like to believe Nintendo is the kind of developer that cares for what it's consumers want (unlike a lot of other companies), and if it's within their abilities then why not?
A large number of people who buy Nintendo products aren't really invested into characters outside of the obvious cashcows or nostalgia, the competitive scene, etc. Does that mean they should just ignore [possible] fan requests. Let me use an example, Call of Duty. Why should Activision care about the fact that there a those few fans who care and want to see them do something interesting with their franchise (if this series is going to represent American gaming, it might as well be good right?) when they got a plethora of customers who will just eat up anything they throw out to make money off of? Do you know how s**** it feels do be in that position? To have a series have this hold on you, but it's developers don't care outside of sales?
I don't like how you're making this out that Sakurai will do whatever he wants and is this jerk who doesn't care what some fans want because he is guaranteed some cash. The guy worked his a** off trying to meet the desires of fans, that is pretty disrespectful. He didn't include Mewtwo in Brawl, and made clones (including Ganondorf) because of time restrictions, not because "he didn't want to".

Last edited:

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
What if they have a shiek situation where they make Super Metroid Ridley (or really any ridley, its Sakurai's call) and they design him to fit with other M; provided yes, we already have other M ridley as a stage hazard. That way we could have a not other M ridley that looks like it at least was designed by the other M team.. I'm just a little unhappy that they made ridley a little pet assistant rather than an avatar of destruction.

And yeahh.. this is grasping buuuut as Foster the People once said : "YOU COULD JUST CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT"

Spoa

Smash Cadet
NNID
iSmashbro
3DS FC
2251-5709-7722
I don't understand any of these arguments.

Is Ridley a stage element? Yes. Can Ridley still be a DLC character? Since it is not literally IMpossible, then yes, it is possible.

So the point of the thread is to either support Ridley as a future character, or leave it the hell alone if you don't care.
It isn't literally impossible for Goku, Batman, and Shrek to be DLC, either.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm not really sure what to think, haha. I mean, in one respect, we were right. Every straw we grasped about Ridley was indeed correct. Possibility of DLC, characters that are shared between versions, the strange jerky movement and resizing reminiscent of a playable character. I mean, if it's any consolation, we had every right to be confused. We saw more coming than most.

But when it comes down to it... Other M was probably just too damaging to the series. Don't get me wrong. I actually liked Other M. But I never really saw it as a Metroid game. It was more like how Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game. All the themes and familiarities are there, but it's just not the same. Imagine how it'd feel to have Agitha and her attacks torn from Hyrule Warriors instead of Zelda, or everything inspired by that art style. That's the feeling.

Ridley's Other M design is awful. There's no way around it. It not only looks bad on a conceptual level, it looks bad in terms of texture quality and model "cleanliness". His stomach and chest are like... early-gamecube dirty. And by the looks of things, that has not changed in the slightest. Maybe it'll change by release, but they historically haven't "shown things off" in pictures until it was ready to be shown.

I do think it's a great idea for them to make characters periodically. Making a character is a significantly lower investment than making a game, and they could keep the life of Smash going for a very long time. It would be a huge boost to the Wii U, which is very much needed. And with that comes the sale of limited edition amiibos. It's really brilliant. Like Skylanders but for all ages and with (theoretically) timeless gameplay.

All that being said, I have to admit I think it's over. This coming from someone who did not give up hope even after the release of the 3DS version. I do still support his inclusion, but it's obvious that until we get a game to wipe free the memory of Other M, we're going to only be getting things from it. At this point, I think it's honestly more likely that we'll get Furbley than a fully-fledged Ridley. So I suppose we have to hope for a new Metroid game first.

Anybody have a spare straw? I seem to have lost mine.
I pretty much agree with this in it's entirety. I hate Roidley's model. I was hoping for a new one. This bird man on steroids will be a fun gimmick, but as far as I'm concerned, Ridley is not in Smash. I'm slightly frustrated, but I've been expecting this since the 3DS release.

Looking for a straw? It's too far in the distance to see yet, but it's something to keep in mind. It will depend on how Ridley is portrayed in whatever Metroid U game comes out. It's smash 5. Once a space pirate, always a space pirate.

It was a fun run guys. But I think it's over at this point for Sm4sh.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah... It's not impossible. And god forbid if it is some how impossible and we have contrast like Ganondorf and Toon Link.

It will be apocalyptic. But we will survive.
Ganondorf and Toon Link used in this game are not related anyhow. Toon Link by himself is an odd one and represents games Link from Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, etc, not just Link from Legend of Zelda franchise and he is a separate character, just a reincarnation of normal Link from SS, like any other Link. There was no TP design they could used either since he didn't appeared in realistic (more-or-less) LoZ games and wasn't in TP. So, use normal Link for that. And Ganondorf in games where "Toon" Link appeared is same as Ganondorf that appeared in TP, OoT, etc.

It is not impossible, but it is so unlikely, you shouldn't even expect it. Unless Ridley will be completly redesigned to fit Other M style (it has its own style, as shown with redesigned characters like Samus, Mother Brain, Ridley, Nightmare and Queen Metroid).
It isn't literally impossible for Goku, Batman, and Shrek to be DLC, either.
Video game characters-only rule makes it impossible.

Last edited:

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I wasn't saying he leaked the fake Palutena shots, but I was saying that he's fully aware of what's going on in the community. He knew people saw the leak, he knew people thought it was real (when he knew it was fake but also still leaking she was playable), and he knew people would know he knew when he posted three KI PsOTD in a row. The point was, it's not unlike Sakurai to tease something, then completely ignore it for months.
Unless Sakurai commented on the fake leak, or alluded to it directly, there is no proof he knew of it or even if he did, specifically posted KI posts to "tease" the Palutena fanbase. The notion of Sakurai trolling is purely fan speculation. Even if we were to assume Sakurai was trying to mess with us, as I mentioned before, Palutena became playable so it's okay.

With Palutena, fans can say "Oh, you rascal, Sakurai! You almost had me thinking Palutena wouldn't be playable!"
With Ridley, fans say "Oh, you rascal, Sakurai! You almost had me thinking...oh... Ridley isn't playable? Wtf?"

For Ridley doubters/detractors the message of Hazardly was obvious from the get-go, so no surprises. For Ridley fans, they WERE surprised, but in a bad way. Is 'unpleasant surprise' what he was shooting for? Because that's what we got. Teasing without a payoff is just cruel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom