• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Chill. You don't HAVE to update.
Yeah, but the latest system update has a signature thing attached to it. Which records games etc. So It'll know that you've used the Freeloader. If you ever update again, it'll have consequences.

So, if you updated the latest update that was apparently OK , you're not in a good situation
That's what I've come to understand from that paragraph =S

Really glad I held back on updating.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
.............X_X

I got that last update from before, but I'm not getting whats going on... The freeloader still works but is something going to happen soon for it not to work because I downloaded it?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Ok, the latest update has a signature attached to it. It doesn't do anything now, but I've you've performed the latest update, you have the signature checking alreayd on your Wii. So your Wii has recorded the Freeloader's signature. If you perform an update again on your Wii, it's likely the Wii will read the Freeloader's signature. It will not it as " invlaid", and concequences will follow.

That's what the article is getting at.

If you haven't updated the latest update you won't have the Signature checking. If you do have the signature checking, you're probably screwed for ever updating your Wii again.

The point is, you'll never be able to update your Wii again, because the signature of the Freeloader will still be on the Wii, even if you haven't played it in months, and it'll render it " Invlaid"

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Chill. You don't HAVE to update.
Coupled with what Soluble said, since PayPal is being a complete *****, i would have had my Freeloader and Brawl before the said update, but, alas, i updated my Wii, meaning theres pretty much no point in me getting Brawl imported, i may as well just wait it out and buy Mario Kart Wii and We Ski to pass the time.

Nintendo are as bad as A-net (for anyone who knows what i'm talking about, you get the idea :bee:)

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Consequences? you mean the Freeloader will stop working?

(I'm sure Codejunkies is going to get a barrage of Mail soon, not just by me....)

Also another question wouldn't the update that reads the signature be also put in all the new updates? So even if I didn't update I still wouldn't be able to update if I wanted the disc to work...?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Consequences? you mean the Freeloader will stop working?

(I'm sure Codejunkies is going to get a barrage of Mail soon, not just by me....)

Also another question wouldn't the update that reads the signature be also put in all the new updates? So even if I didn't update I still wouldn't be able to update if I wanted the disc to work...?
It could brick your Wii, and stop it from working completely.

The signature reading COULD only be in this update.
People will most likely find a way around the Signatures for people that don't already have them on their Wii if it is on every update.

Madjura

Smash Rookie
I won't update my Wii for now. If it really breaks the Wii, I'll sell it ob eBay and buy a Xbox360. Screw Nintendo. If it ruins the Freeloader, they'll come up with something like "We didn't want to break the Freeloader, but this update also prevents people from <something illegal connected with Wii>."
I'm so raged right now. SO raged.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Well, since they have a disclaimer on the box saying that there are no guarantees of the freeloader working with future firmware updates for the Wii, they could not make another freeloader and they'd be covered.

Also, does anybody know if you can keep the Wii online and just reject the update, or do Wiis automatically update? I've got mine on offline at the moment and happily playing away at Brawl, but still, I'd like to know just in case I do want to play online and don't want to update my firmware.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Also, does anybody know if you can keep the Wii online and just reject the update, or do Wiis automatically update? I've got mine on offline at the moment and happily playing away at Brawl, but still, I'd like to know just in case I do want to play online and don't want to update my firmware.
The Wii always asks you to update. It asks you twice actually I think. It'll say " Are you sure?" or something.

I never get notified of updates though =S
I always have to go to " Wii system update" to update my Wii. I never seem to get messages from Nintendo.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
They said it might not work on future updates , not kill your Wii.

and to your question some games have updates on them

Ganon875

Smash Cadet
But it isn't bad to not update your wii until the PAL version of brawl and then continue with the PAL version only? There's no tracking yet, right?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
But it isn't bad to not update your wii until the PAL version of brawl and then continue with the PAL version only? There's no tracking yet, right?
Right.
Say the Wii has a firmware update now. You don't update.
Say a new firmware comes out in about a couple of weeks. You perform that update.
I'm not sure if the Wii completely misses out the previous update. It always asks " Do you wish to perform the LATEST update?"

So if the signature reading is only on this update, then people that haven't already update should be safe.
I'm not updating for AGEEEES anyway.
I'm just being extra safe.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
But, don't have some games the updates on them for people who don't have internet?
Yeah, there's a good chance PAL Mario Kart could be packing this killer update
=/

Madjura

Smash Rookie
All hail Hypnotoad!
Screw your Wii, buy a 360! @_@
All hail Hypnotoad!
All I can say is: **** you update. **** you.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
The Wii always asks you to update. It asks you twice actually I think. It'll say " Are you sure?" or something.

I never get notified of updates though =S
I always have to go to " Wii system update" to update my Wii. I never seem to get messages from Nintendo.
Ah right, so it should be okay if I connect it and just say no to both updates?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Ah right, so it should be okay if I connect it and just say no to both updates?
You shouldn't even be asked for an update when you go on. You should only be asked for an update when you click on the " Wii system Update" tab in the Wii settings menu.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Oh, okay then. So what's the big deal about the update then if you don't have to download it?

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
For now, yes. But the next time you play a NEW game, it may have that update on it.
Oh, that's okay then.

The only new game I may have gotten before Brawl is Mario Kart Wii. Otherwise the only other game on my purchase list is Guilty Gear, which came out before yesterday so I doubt it has the update on it.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
You can play Brawl Wi-fi using the freeloader, and you have to "host" or join someones elses game. I don't quite get what you mean by Room.

Oh and yeah for With anyone it just looks for people.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
.......Why would the game finding out you used the freeloader brick the Wii?
Freeloader isn't licensed by Nintendo, so it would mark it as " invalid"

Invalid discs used on your Wii could potentially brick it.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Freeloader isn't licensed by Nintendo, so it would mark it as " invalid"

Invalid discs used on your Wii could potentially brick it.
And why would being Invalid brick it? :dizzy:

The only reason I can think of is to stop you from using it but I don't think thats it. :urg:

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
And why would being Invalid brick it?
The consequences are not known as of yet, but it could potentially brick the Wii.
Nintendo could pack something in updates so that when the Wii finds an invalid disc, the Wii is bricked.
Or it could just brick said disc.

It's not known yet.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Eebro:The shop channel update had the signatures attached to it. The next update will most likely bring the consequences.

Xtreme: I doubt Nintendo will brick any Wii to be honest. They'll lose a lot of customers. They could easily just brick the Freeloader. Which is probably all they'll do.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
O_O The last update I got was the shop channel one it was sometime before 22, in that Website it says the 22nd march this new update came, Maybe i didn't get it? =D

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
You can play Brawl Wi-fi using the freeloader, and you have to "host" or join someones elses game. I don't quite get what you mean by Room.

Oh and yeah for With anyone it just looks for people.
Doesn't the dojo say you can join someone and view battles of other people in that ROOM?
I just needed a good word to explain my view on that.

Top Bottom