• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Real Critical Hit 4 Results Thread

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to knock you or anything m2k but saying "I deserve better" when all in all your life isn't bad is kind of... arrogant, for lack of a better word. Best SSBM (and Brawl? I'm not sure on the current standings in that but I know you're **** good.) player in the world and making money off of it? Man, that is something I'm sure all of us aspire to be.

I can understand this didn't turn out how you had planned. Things don't always go as planned. Trust me I've had my share of "unfair" experiences. Such as being promised kdj and the other pros in NE weren't going to this melee tournament. Giving me ample opportunity to take top 3. Turned out that the melee tournament wasn't until 8 and only skler and kdj entered (lol wut they showed up). Needless to say, after sacrificing my day to go to that tournament I was peeved. But I still had fun with it.

No, that is not on par with what has happened to you. Still if you boil them both down it was:
Spending time to go to a tournament and leaving with less cash than expected.

I have not lost thousands of dollars to bad luck but you aren't the only person that's happened to. See: Stock Market in 1929
Everything in life comes with a risk. For some people that risk becomes reality, for others it doesn't.

Vist

Smash Champion
wish i couldve stayed for singles but this was fun stuff anyway

random shoutouts-

kirbstir- thanks for teaming, it was some intense stuff. I missed out on the Mario Golf

canada guys (Ambrose, JL, Percon?)- nice friendlies and team matches (I didn't quite catch all of your names =( )

biglou- it was cool seeing you in person. great luigi :)

ninjalink/atomsk- lol u guys got that 'muffin' **** stuck in my head. nice friendlies @ NL

slikvik- ur peach is too goodzzz

EE- fun stuff in friendlies man

md/va- good stuff

travis/chinesah- hope you don't take any of the complaints around to heart; it was still a good tournament

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
MDZ anyone can be good at anything if they put the effort into it, it's not like I'm good cuz of "talent" or anything. I don't believe that at all. I'm good at brawl cuz of melee, but it took a long time to get good at melee as it would for anyone, esp having no one to play 99% of the time.

I didn't think there'd be a big "risk" when it says "Guaranteed", but I bet if it was truely guaranteed something bad would randomly happen and I wouldn't place in the money, cuz that's what happened at mlg/evo vegas finals. I used to not believe in luck, but I changed my mind on that since it follows me everywhere.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I'm not trying to knock you or anything m2k but saying "I deserve better" when all in all your life isn't bad is kind of... arrogant, for lack of a better word. Best SSBM (and Brawl? I'm not sure on the current standings in that but I know you're **** good.) player in the world and making money off of it? Man, that is something I'm sure all of us aspire to be.

I can understand this didn't turn out how you had planned. Things don't always go as planned. Trust me I've had my share of "unfair" experiences. Such as being promised kdj and the other pros in NE weren't going to this melee tournament. Giving me ample opportunity to take top 3. Turned out that the melee tournament wasn't until 8 and only skler and kdj entered (lol wut they showed up). Needless to say, after sacrificing my day to go to that tournament I was peeved. But I still had fun with it.

No, that is not on par with what has happened to you. Still if you boil them both down it was:
Spending time to go to a tournament and leaving with less cash than expected.

I have not lost thousands of dollars to bad luck but you aren't the only person that's happened to. See: Stock Market in 1929
Everything in life comes with a risk. For some people that risk becomes reality, for others it doesn't.
This is just stupid

Once again, if you work a job and only get paid half of what you were promised, do you just shrug and think "**** happens"?

The fact that M2K always wins or that he profited anyway is irrelevant when he and the other participants were "guaranteed" X amount of money. There's no need to "be grateful" for getting what you already earned

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I know people can be good at anything if they put effort into it. Notice how I said that is what we aspire to be, not wish to be.
And yes being good at something does take talent. Not just talent, but talent is indeed involved.

Here's another risk with any guaranteed money:
Someone can always run in with a gun and steal it.

You should be happy that isn't what happened. Yes, that was meant to be an extreme example for those who think it is ridiculous.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
yeah really dude, you're lucky you even win money or get to travel to all these great places to play, stop complaining.

like seriously, you do stuff like his and then wonder why people don't like you. also fc finals thing is just irrelevant, but you also seem to conveniently forget how you have like 4 other sets of you either beating or outright ****** pc and how you wanted the one set he won down off of youtube.

i am really not trying to be an *** but really we've all heard your life story by now dude, just let it go and **** more. you're lucky you even get to win money in smash brothers. do you have any idea how many people wish of being able to win money for playing their favorite video game? its good you do alot of work to win and it sucks random **** gets stolen but seriously, **** happens.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
this isn't my job this is more like a part time job

chillin won like 1,100 dollars off the first week or two of brawl, because the C3s had like 80 people and the competition was easy for him (as it would have been for me). He made less than 20% of what I made off this, that's not valid. The same thing happened at fast1 where I won all 4 events but got much less than promised (14,000+ dollar pot they said, turned out being many, many times less than that after venue fee and stolen xbox's). Azen it applies to the same as me, cept gay things happened to me many many times this past year and it's extremely frustrating.

Saying "life isn't fair" isn't really a good response but more like the obvious thing that everyone's told me. Chillin's made a few thousand more off smash than I have despite me working harder at it (prolly cuz I came late, but I did work harder at it) and Azen won like 5000 just from MLG NY. Right when I got good enough to be able to win MLGs, they dropped MLG throughout all of 07 and 08.

edit - I only brought my wii and things to a tourney ONCE, and it was stolen that time. Never again obviously.
Sorry. Well good luck in the next tourney M2K- I'm sure you'll take home some more cash.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I got 9th at Evo World (bad day + bad rules + bad bracket; BEST OF ONE vs mango on DL64 when I wasn't playing good was the main thing), where top 8 got money and first got 5000 dollars

and I got 4th at MLG Vegas, where top 3 get money, and it was 10,000 for 1st, 5000 2nd and 3000 3rd. I also had a bad controller that day, I think I would have gotten 3rd at it.
Johns much, M2K? The other things you listed were legit, but these, not so much.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
This is just stupid

Once again, if you work a job and only get paid half of what you were promised, do you just shrug and think "**** happens"?

The fact that M2K always wins or that he profited anyway is irrelevant when he and the other participants were "guaranteed" X amount of money. There's no need to "be grateful" for getting what you already earned

If I got half of what I was promised for a week of working at my job? No, I wouldn't think of it like that. I would be upset without a doubt and using the legal system I would gather the money that is rightfully mine.
But the thing is with smash it isn't a job. There is no contract (Don't bring MLG into this) to have a job playing smash. There is no legal system with smash. Yes, we all expect to get what we were told our prize was.
However, there is plenty of reasons that this money was not delivered to mew2king.
He wants us all to sympathize with him, but I know as a tournament host that when your tournament ends up not what you expected at all it is a huge letdown for everyone involved.
You just have to make the best of it and keep going. I wont say that is what they did at CH4 since I was not there but from what I read they had to pay off the venue above all else. Because if not, the hosts will be pestered to pay it off and it could turn ugly.

As someone else pointed out, do you see Azen complaining that he was not paid what he deserved?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Hey M2K, I have 1 point to make

It seems that because of your constant complainig Travis won't be holding any more tournies. Just imagine all of the money you could've made from them. now you will be making $0 and destroyed one of MD's most important tournies.

I know you got jipped, but you just made a bad situation worse

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hey M2K, I have 1 point to make

It seems that because of your constant complainig Travis won't be holding any more tournies. Just imagine all of the money you could've made from them. now you will be making $0 and destroyed one of MD's most important tournies.

I know you got jipped, but you just made a bad situation worse
This man speaks amazing truth

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Dark Hat - pretty much everyone at evo world knows I was the best player there, I would say having a bad day on a VERY important day, with really bad rulesets, and getting DL64 vs the best jigglypuff, is very bad luck.

at mlg vegas, my loss to ken really just came down to the fact that my controller was so bad that I could not Up throw Uair him if he DI'd behind me at all (at the time I actually didn't know about full jump bair, yes, I really did not know about up throw to full jump bair back in 2006; I always went for Uair) and I lost a lot of close games because of it. I don't think I would have beaten KDJ or PC, but I think I should have beaten Ken if I still had my good controller. It was actually because of this that I changed mains to Marth, frusturated that since I didn't have a good Fox controller, it was too hard to play. If it wasn't for this, I would still be maining Fox.

superryan - FC and OC were back to back, ocs the worst i ever did against pc, fcs the best, and FC got lost by MLG. I actually copy pasted that from my myspace blog but I didn't look to edit that out since it didn't pertain to money. I get screwed in vids all the time.

being lucky to win is not true at all, I put more hours into smash than anyone, I don't think I'm talented (at this point I probably am because of where I got from before, but the getting there part I definitely wasn't) at all.

honestly, you guys that are making me think smashboards is just 90% dumb by saying things like "you should be grateful". Wtf, Smash is the only thing I have, (I'm good at a lot of games but only smash is financially useful to me so that's all that counts) there's no being grateful for getting many times less than what I should have, especially when it's over the course of many tourneys where bad things happen

god-is-my-rock - that's his fault/decision for doing that, he told me he wasn't going to talk to the guy anyway, and if he's going to pot **** the tourney so badly I would rather have a different tourney that date. I would go to CH5 in the hopes that I make a lot + but knowing my luck I doubt I will get top 2 or 3 if the payouts are what they should be.

if you're going to host a big tourney and promise payouts and don't give what was GUARANTEED, expect criticism.

Azen never complains about anything, so I'm doing it for him since I'm upset for him too which is clearly why I mentioned it in bold in the first post, cuz I also want him to get what he deserves. On Azen's note he was good when the money was big, where I started late and once I got good there was like hardly anything to get comparatively.

stupid things happened way too many times, and every time something like this happens, if they make promises they can't keep, obviously they should expect criticism.

maybe NJ tourneys need to start posting "GUARANTEED 1000 dollars" from now on, that will attract more people... although it would be lying

chillindude829

Smash Master
lol @ treating smash as a job. grow up m2k.

edit: is anyone else seeing this? m2k is basically saying "wahhhhh i should be getting more money from you guys".

m2k you are horrible for the smash community. you have said on several occasions that you only play brawl for the money. other than MLG 2006, there is NO WAY anyone can support themselves on smash alone. you are stupid if you are trying to make this your job. i made maybe $60 this tourney, but i was happy i basically got an extra $60. i don't use tournies as a job, if i needed to make money i would just... you know... GET A JOB.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I love you chillin.

Thank you for replying to my post, m2k :)

It's stupid that we think you should be grateful for making money off of a video game?
...So, you aren't grateful that you actually have a source of income?
Alright m2k that makes awesome sense.

Azen doesn't complain... why? Either he keeps it bottled up or he looks on the bright side of things. You got an extra $300.
Why is that not something to be grateful for? Can you explain that to me?
What on earth should you be grateful for then? Random money coming to you from the sky?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Chillin there is no reason I shouldn't be able to make enough money on this game until I get a career if dumb **** didn't happen all the time, that's what it really comes down to. There's no reason to waste time getting a job, it would be so temporary it would just be tedious and I would be quitting by the time I made any decent amount at it.

also I post a lot of useful info for the smash community, I help people on a regular basis on aim, I get pms like every day, I go into random threads to give advice, I always have good intentions, and I contribute a lot more than you do to it.

I'm saying "i should be getting what i earned"

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
M2k. The only way you can feasibly make a living off this game is if you went to EVERY tournament and MLG had monthly tournaments with $5000+ payouts for first.
That would even itself out as well. Round trip to California for a tournament would take away most of your prize money that you get from that tournament. The next week is a tournament in GA (in this scenario) so you pay for that. Then you have another tournament in NJ. Woo, easy to get to. You get there and win that. Then you have to use your winnings from that and the remains from Cali and GA to get another plane to Texas.

Oh and don't forget you have to win first at all of them.

See what I'm getting at?

Ryan-K

Smash Master
smash has like no payout.

29k over 3 years is an EXTREMELY low amount dude.

if getting a job is too much for you, well tough luck, youre gonna have to get one eventually, everyone does. you gotta do what you gotta do. unless you plan on living with your parents the rest of your life or something.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol Well he's paying no rent, no gas, no electricity, no car insurance, no mortgage, etc. etc...

I think he can make a fine living off smash if he's pulling in what 15000 / year if no ******** **** happened (as it apparently always does)...

chillindude829

Smash Master
how did you earn that money? you won a videogame tourney (although you split everything with azen who isnt complaining at all) with 50 entrants. you don't deserve $1500 for that. i realize it was guaranteed by the owner, but **** happens, if you were on the other side of this as the owner im sure you wouldn't have paid out $5000 with 50 people entering.

having a job means CONSISTENT INCOME, which Smash can't provide. how is going to a tourney every weekend and making anywhere from $50 to $500 a better source of income than having a job and making a set amount every week?

lol @ having a job would be tedious. WAHHHHHH LABOR IS HARD WAHHHH IM GOOD AT SMASH SO I SHOULD GET MORE MONEY WAHHHHHh

honestly you are really bad for the smash community

D

Deleted member

if you earn the money, you should get it. Regardless of his personal reasons to need the money, I don't really see this as a debatable issue.

Program

Smash Apprentice
Travis, Ill start hosting events if you don't want to. Im not good at this game so I might as well try my hand at organizing.

M2K - It did say guaranteed, but If only 60 people show up at $45 each, how do you expect $1200? Its not logical or reasonable. You did win money though, so its not like the event was a total loss and such.

Thanks for speaking the truth Chillin. Greg, I want a rematch. I appreciate the friendlies and MMs people, even though I got rolled, I learned alot and I appreciate the words of encouragement. Ill see you all in the future. By the way, I wanna play with you guys more often. Is there anyway we can like get together and smash and stuff, nothing for money, just for like fun and ****. Maybe we can hang at DKsmash's house or something? Ill ask Matt.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
M2K, if you really want my and the other entrants money that badly, do you want us to give it to you? I mean, if you want a check for another 10 bucks on my behalf I'd be happy to send it to you, if it will make you stop complaining about things being unfair. I mean, you earned it by winning teams and splitting first.

I'm not joking, if you will stop talking about this and soiling this tournament and Gaame Playe and Travis I will send you a check for 10 bucks in the mail, which would've been how much more money you would've snagged from my pocket.

Where does the money you make come from? It comes from the pockets of hard earned work hours, and for some people it takes a day's worth of work just to enter. Since CH3, I've paid out 128 for tournaments and the gas to get there. 2 of those times, that money has become yours. 4 of those times, my money went to Chillin and Azen. Don't you see how selfish you're being? You SHOULD be grateful that there are any entrants at all! You scare them all away! You're so much better that no one even wants to enter against you other than maybe a small handful of players (probably less than 30 people). I mean I would play friendlies against you but I basically just gave you my hard earned money from my work week because you're better than me at a video game. Does that make sense? I hope so. If you need my money that bad, PM me.

chillindude829

Smash Master
way to ignore my post mow, he didn't earn the money. that money was set aside for a 100+ man tourney with a $65 entry fee. he won a 50 man tourney with a $45 entry fee. you can complain all you want about the pot being guaranteed, but if any of you honestly put yourself in the owner's shoes i know nobody would keep the pot at $5000 with 50 people showing up.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
chillin it doesnt have to be 5000 but from what Eggm and some other guys told me on the other thread (in toureny listings I think) they ***** the pot and they said i should have made 2 or 3 times more than this. I understand 50 is too much but apparantly if they had like 100 or so then it would have been enough to make the payouts almost 5 times as much? that's still ****** the pot

I can't believe you're so ignorant as to say things like that, you've never liked me even back in 2004 and you just like to make fun of me when I try to help you in anything you ask for. I do anything I can to make the smash community better but it makes me REALLY mad when they say its a guaranteed payout and they **** it so badly. If it's not guaranteed, it's not guaranteed. That's what I'm really mad about. I don't even use the money anyway, it's just about the principle of it.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Travis, Ill start hosting events if you don't want to. Im not good at this game so I might as well try my hand at organizing.

M2K - It did say guaranteed, but If only 60 people show up at $45 each, how do you expect $1200? Its not logical or reasonable. You did win money though, so its not like the event was a total loss and such.

Thanks for speaking the truth Chillin. Greg, I want a rematch. I appreciate the friendlies and MMs people, even though I got rolled, I learned alot and I appreciate the words of encouragement. Ill see you all in the future. By the way, I wanna play with you guys more often. Is there anyway we can like get together and smash and stuff, nothing for money, just for like fun and ****. Maybe we can hang at DKsmash's house or something? Ill ask Matt.
Hey Program, Good friendlies dude-

oh and it would be easier for me to organize tourneys over here since I live in the exact same town as Travis and JCaesar, but dude organize some stuff in DE if that's where you're from, that'd be sweet.

And that's a great idea program, everybody around here should get together and hang out just play smash at someone's house (i still live at my parents, I could host but not many, and they hate smoking lol) but i might know a place we can play smash all day at here in town. Anybody up for that anytime soon?

chillindude829

Smash Master
oh so NOW it's about the principle, even though you spent multiple posts complaining about how it was actually money you needed?

this is ridiculous. obviously there is a problem with smashboards when there are more complaints about poor m2k not getting $1000 more than there were when v-games basically scammed all of us out of $10000. good job guys

Program

Smash Apprentice
I live in annapolis, so I can organize some **** near here. I just say DE cause thats where the guy I play with are from. So you can technically say Im MD. Anyone else wanna play some smash in the near future?

Program

Smash Apprentice
oh so NOW it's about the principle, even though you spent multiple posts complaining about how it was actually money you needed?

this is ridiculous. obviously there is a problem with smashboards when there are more complaints about poor m2k not getting $1000 more than there were when v-games basically scammed all of us out of $10000. good job guys
Im not saying that chillin, I just think its weird how someone who goes to these tourneys and makes so much money can complain about a small amount of money thats not even reasonably his. Oh well.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
chillin it doesnt have to be 5000 but from what Eggm and some other guys told me on the other thread (in toureny listings I think) they ***** the pot and they said i should have made 2 or 3 times more than this. I understand 50 is too much but apparantly if they had like 100 or so then it would have been enough to make the payouts almost 5 times as much? that's still ****** the pot

I can't believe you're so ignorant as to say things like that, you've never liked me even back in 2004 and you just like to make fun of me when I try to help you in anything you ask for. I do anything I can to make the smash community better but it makes me REALLY mad when they say its a guaranteed payout and they **** it so badly. If it's not guaranteed, it's not guaranteed. That's what I'm really mad about. I don't even use the money anyway, it's just about the principle of it.

M2K- if this were about the principle of it, you would have stopped talking about it after the first post. Instead, you continue to beat the living crap out of a dead horse and as God Is My Rock said, now because of this Travis is not holding tournaments here and you can't win ANYTHING. Chillin is right- and most of smashboards have had no problem with the tournament, only a few renegades.

CH4 was tons of fun. If you came looking for more than a great day of fun, well you came to the wrong place, and you were asking for disappointment.

Program

Smash Apprentice
E, every time i see your sig i cant help but watch it loop like 40 times.

Hysterical. the mask the purple guy is wearing is priceless.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
MattDotZeb and TheTantalus need to stop posting, like 3 pages ago.
o_O;
What the ****? Have you even read anything I posted? Until a few posts ago I was helping everyone's argument. Hell I made the first post long post against m2k that got this ball rolling in this thread.
I'm just sitting back and watching Chillin work his magic now.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I was talking to program and giving GIMR props, and adding my 0.02

shoot i'd like to go back and talk about all the great games we had, kinda forgot about all that...

oh well if you really want me to stop talking i will do you that favor, later

Top Bottom