• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Or ever now that I recall the number of times ballot results were publicly released. The resulting DLC characters won't necessarily be a direct product of the requests from the ballot too.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So, i'mma start up another topic to talk about, because why not.

How would you feel if a "Star Fox Command 2" was announced on the 3DS? I think it's pretty safe to assume that a lot of people share my option on the fact that game was not at all perfect, but what if it was the same premise as Command, but done in a way that works?

Let's say they did the following:

.Replace the silly Animal Crossing voices with actual voice actors

.Get someone competent in story telling to actually write a story that isn't cheesy and keeps your interest

.Include the odd cutscenes here and there, I'm sure the 3DS could handle that

.Allow control of the Arwing via the circle pad, not sure about anyone else but the touch screen controls peeved me off.

.None of this over complicated multiple ending bull, have a bad ending, neutral ending and good (canon) ending

.Touch up the "strategy board" part of the game to make it less boring and maybe less difficult, or add difficulty settings for people who suck at games like me this is just me personally, but I never liked how limited your turns are during that segment. Either scrap the turn system or give more turns at the very least.

.customisable Arwings would be a pretty great feature, both how they physically look and it's skills, such as power, speed, etc, would be a great gimmick for Amiibos, too.

.How about some Landmaster love in da house? The odd Landmaster mission here and there would add variety and keep it fresh. I'd love on foot missions too, but knowing this is a 3DS game, I couldn't possibly expect everything.

.Finally, keep all the good things about Command in tact. Online multiplayer and being able to play as every character comes to mind.

For me, I think that's everything I'd like to see improved upon for a potential sequel. Feel free to add your thoughts on that. Oh, and for people who love Command for what it is, just know I don't think it's an outright terrible game, I still had fun with it, these are just merely things I think would make a potential sequel truly great to play. A lot of the "hate" I gave to Command there was mostly tongue in cheek, so try not to take it too seriously, aha.
So Kid icarus uprising: Star Fox edition? Which is what it originally was, maybe after they're done with smash DLC they could get Sora to make it

Sidenote, I just finished replaying Star Fox Assault today and it's still super fun, gonna play adventures next

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
Here's your reply, thief_of_demons. ^_^
Sigh. I hated the chipmunky voices and preferred the alien-like ones that were tailored to each animal in the original Star Fox. Voice actors are fine, but it's real easy to mess those up. You can't unlisten to what has been listened to. Sinister laugh.

Agree. I liked the Anglar idea and the overview, but the drama could have used a little work.

So long as they're skippable!

Fully agree.

A strategy game I loved had multiple endings depending on your chaos frame, which measured the number of virtuous choices you made at key points in the game to the number of "evil" ones. It was well done and really helped the replay value. I don't think multiple endings in of themselves are the embodiment of death, taxes and the telemarketer at dinner time. They just have to be handled correctly.

That said, I think Star Fox is best left with a single assertive ending. Like, this is the way it's going to be! To anyone who doesn't like it, get out! We need solid endings for the story to progress when it comes time for the all important sequels. =3

I suck at games too. There's a reason I play For Fun and not For Glory like 99% of the time. :sadeyes:
Anyway, yeah, agree.

Super agree!

I'd be content with some vehicle variety. Foot missions aren't a must-have on my end. :)

I'm so glad you're not one of those people who thinks Command has no redeeming qualities. It sounds like you gave it an honest chance.

Thanks for this splendid review. I had as much fun picking it apart as you did writing it! :p

You know something we don't know. Give us the deets!
Thanks for the reply, enjoyed reading your opinions~

So Kid icarus uprising: Star Fox edition? Which is what it originally was, maybe after they're done with smash DLC they could get Sora to make it

Sidenote, I just finished replaying Star Fox Assault today and it's still super fun, gonna play adventures next
I guess that'd be interesting to see, though personally I wasn't a big fan of how Uprising played due to, being left handed, it was a bit trickier to play for me.

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
I doubt we ever know the results of the ballot, maybe referenced in some future interview when it doesn't matter anymore, it's just marketing data for nintendo to utilize anyway. Plus I think it would just bring backlash from everyone, unless all the characters that would get added were the most voted ones. Everyone would just b**ch and moan about "why was this character added as a fighter rather than this other fighter, when it clearly had more votes!" there would be no end.

I'm going to be away from here for a week (not that I'm really even important :D, haha) since I'm being dragged to play soldier to the woods.
So see ya guys!

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
I doubt we ever know the results of the ballot, maybe referenced in some future interview when it doesn't matter anymore, it's just marketing data for nintendo to utilize anyway. Plus I think it would just bring backlash from everyone, unless all the characters that would get added were the most voted ones. Everyone would just b**ch and moan about "why was this character added as a fighter rather than this other fighter, when it clearly had more votes!" there would be no end.

I'm going to be away from here for a week (not that I'm really even important :D, haha) since I'm being dragged to play soldier to the woods.
So see ya guys!
Yeah, if they did release the results, there'd be enough salt amongst people to wipe out the entire snail population. Everyone is equally important here, darklink! See you in a week.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

So see ya guys!
Bye! I'll miss you. Don't forget about us while you're out rubbing shoulders with Yogi Bear.

Krystal0290

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowMario90
I'm not best smash player in the world(nor will I be), but I would main the hell out of Krystal if she gets in like should've been in the first place. That would be the biggest win I'd ever get regardless of how many smash I lost.

Last edited:

Demented Dex

Smash Cadet
Hey there, gang. If Krystal got added in, could you imagine some of the potential Conquests she'd be involved in?

For example: Krystal vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Greninja vs Falco vs Meta Knight vs Lucario. Because they're all naturally blue! I don't have a catchy title for it at the moment, but I'm sure one could be worked in.

Does anyone have any others?

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I'd totally be down for an alt costume like that, even if it would start WWIII amongst Krystal and furry haters alike.
Considering that Rosalina singlehandedly caused the biggest backlash out of every character ever put in the game and that Zero Suit Samus' alt despite being a legitimate thing from Zero Mission, people still threw a fit over it with some accusing the person making it not actually being a woman, it wouldnt really be any different if that be the case.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Hey there, gang. If Krystal got added in, could you imagine some of the potential Conquests she'd be involved in?

For example: Krystal vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Greninja vs Falco vs Meta Knight vs Lucario. Because they're all naturally blue! I don't have a catchy title for it at the moment, but I'm sure one could be worked in.

Does anyone have any others?
Krystal vs shulk - Both have psychic abilities
Krystal vs Samus - Both from space
Fox, Falco and Krystal vs Wolf
Krystal vs Bowser/K Rool if he gets in (stand in for General scales)

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yo

What do you guys think about this? I dont see this as a retcon still tbh, more of 64 with just re-imagined stuff.

Here's another. I killed the convo didnt I?.... I still got it >_>

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Yo

What do you guys think about this? I dont see this as a retcon still tbh, more of 64 with just re-imagined stuff.
Remember when Metroid Zero Mission came around after all the sequels it had? It's basically the same thing here, nothing to really worry about especially if they even confirmed it's in a parallel universe.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Remember when Metroid Zero Mission came around after all the sequels it had? It's basically the same thing here, nothing to really worry about especially if they even confirmed it's in a parallel universe.
Yeah, they outright said a while back that it wasn't a retcon.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yeah, they outright said a while back that it wasn't a retcon.
Funny you guys mention this because I was looking at the comments section on the second video and seeing a lot of people basically saying, "this is a reboot". One guy even said something along the lines of, "I don't why Nintendo is trying to call this a 'reimagining' when it's clearly a reboot".

I mean, Nintendo has specifically avoided that terminology so even if you could claim that Zero looks like a reboot, the evidence indicates that this isn't Nintendo's intention. I believe they're avoiding this terminology because they still "believe in" Adventures, Assault, Command.

Or there's that chance they're being vague to avoid upsetting anyone, which I seriously hope isn't the case... and I don't believe it is. I'll give Nintendo a lot more credit than that.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Funny you guys mention this because I was looking at the comments section on the second video and seeing a lot of people basically saying, "this is a reboot". One guy even said something along the lines of, "I don't why Nintendo is trying to call this a 'reimagining' when it's clearly a reboot".

I mean, Nintendo has specifically avoided that terminology so even if you could claim that Zero looks like a reboot, the evidence indicates that this isn't Nintendo's intention. I believe they're avoiding this terminology because they still "believe in" Adventures, Assault, Command.

Or there's that chance they're being vague to avoid upsetting anyone, which I seriously hope isn't the case... and I don't believe it is. I'll give Nintendo a lot more credit than that.
Considering they recently stuck Command into the eshop, it's probably not the latter. My own personal theory is they're playing SFZ super-safe to avoid any of the polarizing stuff that had people up in arms about the previous games, which in this case involves revisiting the events of the most consistently popular game in the series. What the next Star Fox game is like--or even if one happens--will depend on how this game fares and what critique of it there is.

Last edited:

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
Considering they recently stuck Command into the eshop, it's probably not the latter. My own personal theory is they're playing SFZ super-safe to avoid any of the polarizing stuff that had people up in arms about the previous games, which in this case involves revisiting the events of the most consistently popular game in the series. What the next Star Fox game is like--or even if one happens--will depend on how this game fares and what critique of it there is.
And this is exactly why I'll still be buying Zero and enjoy it for what it is. Sure, it's not the "dream" Star Fox game I was hoping for, but my love for the series is unchanged and I want to support it all the way. I'm hoping that everyone else who's disappointed with it being a 64 reimagine will buy it as well, because we need to show Nintendo how much love for Star Fox there still is. There's no point sulking and thinking "nope, not buying this, this game sucks, Star Fox is dead" because that mindset isn't helping anyone and these people who think Zero is doomed from the start might be surprised to find that it's a much better game that they're giving it credit for.

Let's look at it from this perspective, let's say a band or musician write an album and it ends up going number 1 and getting a lot of sales. Said musician will then obviously have a lot more fans, a lot more recognition and ultimately be much more popular. Now haven't you noticed that nine times out of ten, once a musician hits a certain degree of fame, they decide to branch out and do something entirely out of there comfort zone with their music? That's because now that they've gained the amount of popularity and trust of their audience needed, they can afford to do something different and totally out there, because if it did end up flopping, then now it wouldn't hit nearly as hard and then that musicians career wouldn't be over forever. I better get to the point, I think the same logic can be applied to Nintendo, if Zero sells well enough, gets decent enough reviews and is ultimately considered a success, then not only would the next game in the series be guaranteed (hopefully sooner rather than later, too) but they can give Star Fox another chance to venture out of its comfort zone and create something truly unique without worrying that it'll be a total failure and the final nail in the coffin. I know this is something they already did with SF64 to Adventures, but if anything that further proves my point. 64 was immensely popular, so they could take the risk with Adventures, I can definitely see the same happening again. I'm not saying it needs to do as well as 64, because In the Wii U's current state that'd be impossible, but just well enough to get Star Fox back into the show light again.

In a nutshell, DONT BE A BUTTHURT FAN AND BUY ZERO GOSH DARN IT, GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN, TRUST ME.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
And this is exactly why I'll still be buying Zero and enjoy it for what it is. Sure, it's not the "dream" Star Fox game I was hoping for, but my love for the series is unchanged and I want to support it all the way. I'm hoping that everyone else who's disappointed with it being a 64 reimagine will buy it as well, because we need to show Nintendo how much love for Star Fox there still is. There's no point sulking and thinking "nope, not buying this, this game sucks, Star Fox is dead" because that mindset isn't helping anyone and these people who think Zero is doomed from the start might be surprised to find that it's a much better game that they're giving it credit for.

Let's look at it from this perspective, let's say a band or musician write an album and it ends up going number 1 and getting a lot of sales. Said musician will then obviously have a lot more fans, a lot more recognition and ultimately be much more popular. Now haven't you noticed that nine times out of ten, once a musician hits a certain degree of fame, they decide to branch out and do something entirely out of there comfort zone with their music? That's because now that they've gained the amount of popularity and trust of their audience needed, they can afford to do something different and totally out there, because if it did end up flopping, then now it wouldn't hit nearly as hard and then that musicians career wouldn't be over forever. I better get to the point, I think the same logic can be applied to Nintendo, if Zero sells well enough, gets decent enough reviews and is ultimately considered a success, then not only would the next game in the series be guaranteed (hopefully sooner rather than later, too) but they can give Star Fox another chance to venture out of its comfort zone and create something truly unique without worrying that it'll be a total failure and the final nail in the coffin. I know this is something they already did with SF64 to Adventures, but if anything that further proves my point. 64 was immensely popular, so they could take the risk with Adventures, I can definitely see the same happening again. I'm not saying it needs to do as well as 64, because In the Wii U's current state that'd be impossible, but just well enough to get Star Fox back into the show light again.

In a nutshell, DONT BE A BUTTHURT FAN AND BUY ZERO GOSH DARN IT, GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN, TRUST ME.
I'm not butthurt but I won't be buying the game, simply because it just doesn't interest me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The more I see of the game ins the hands of people who've had a bit of practice, the more it interests me. The original footage of people struggling with the controls worried me a bit but now I'm feeling better about it.

And I saw in a video that Katt Monroe (the original pink model) returns so there's some estrogen in the game.

There's still every chance that Krystal will return either in this game or the next. Like how Casey Jones wasn't in the first season of the new turtles but came in the second one.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace

If I recall, this same exact thing happened with Zero Mission because it came out during the period when everyone was liking the Prime series, and the moment that came around those who opposed the Prime series were saying the same thing that it was a reboot or retcon. Though realistically this can be applied to Return of Samus, Super, and Fusion since you know it is a reimagining of the first game, but the point is this wasnt the case at all because it wasnt that long after that Prime 3 came out. Not to mention the NES game is still acknowledged despite what people said about it being retconned entirely. It'd be like if Nintendo one day decided to remaster the very original Zelda and everyone said that everything past it is retconned regardless of the timeline.

Though Nintendo cant get the SNES game rereleased for legal disputes over the FX chip, they still acknowledge the game in some way, Mario Maker actually uses Foxes SNES voice and Smash obviously has the original Andross, another thing is WW Shake It had a game based on it.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The more I see of the game ins the hands of people who've had a bit of practice, the more it interests me. The original footage of people struggling with the controls worried me a bit but now I'm feeling better about it.

And I saw in a video that Katt Monroe (the original pink model) returns so there's some estrogen in the game.

There's still every chance that Krystal will return either in this game or the next. Like how Casey Jones wasn't in the first season of the new turtles but came in the second one.
Or how Diddy Kong came back after missing Jungle Beat.

Last edited:

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
If Zero sells well, I can see us getting reimaginings of Adventures and Assault
It's less likely that they'd reimagine those games I think. A reimagining of SF64 is overall less complicated due to the fact it feels more like an arcade game since it has a more simplified focus.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's less likely that they'd reimagine those games I think. A reimagining of SF64 is overall less complicated due to the fact it feels more like an arcade game since it has a more simplified focus.
To be fair there wasn't a great deal to assault either, it was mostly multiplayer shooting and a linear story with cutscenes. Only real mechanical change was the on foot mode.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
i'm really hoping krystal is in zero. She feels part of the team and it be upsetting if she wasn't in. Just an idea, I think it would be so cool that in SF Zero, you can make your own ships and costume weapons. Including having characters from the game like wolf, slippy or panther as the pilot. Maybe DLC they can have krystal.

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
To be fair there wasn't a great deal to assault either, it was mostly multiplayer shooting and a linear story with cutscenes. Only real mechanical change was the on foot mode.
I guess you have a point. It just feels less appropriate to me to fully "reimagine" Assault. Can't quite put my finger on it as to why, aha. If they were going to do something like that, I just think it would be a better idea to give it the Wind Waker HD treatment and maybe just improve upon the controls a bit.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Maybe Zero is only being used as a way to test the waters as to if Star Fox still sells, if Zero is a success, I can see Platinum making a future Star Fox title, FYI I came up with a playstyle for Krystal in a Platinum Star Fox game, similar to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, except with a staff instead of a sword and instead of Blade Mode/Zandatsu, Krystal's psychic abilites are used for a special attack

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If Zero sells well, I can see us getting reimaginings of Adventures and Assault
Help. Let me add to this post and preface this message by reminding you all that I'm already going to buy Zero. Its commercial failure will be no fault of my own. I want a sequel to Assault. I already emailed Namco thanking them for the amazing job they did and I told Nintendo to give them my regards in an unrelated survey, expressing how I would like to see them have the chance to expand on the amazing job they did. Each time I see an Assault playthrough, I'm reminded of how many risks Namco took in the first 10 minutes alone. There were some gameplay aspects that needed polish, but they dared to be great.

I'm so frustrated Nintendo is peeling back the franchise to a reimaging of 64, and this is from someone who loved the first game more than anything in this series. I'm not confident at all this is going to do well. The reception from long time fans EVERYWHERE I've been has been mostly negative. The reaction in Japan was negative. Barely anyone is talking about the first Star Fox game in almost 10 years and this one is supposed to be a major holiday title. Not even Krystal could spur enough people to buy this game with a public sentiment like that!

Last edited:

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
So does anybody know how's the japanese smash ballot going so far?

I've only seen some early result were Krystal appeared to be one of the most voted characters, but that was 4 months ago, I'm curious if things have change a bit there I'm pretty sure the inklings have more support now.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I've only seen some early result were Krystal appeared to be one of the most voted characters, but that was 4 months ago, I'm curious if things have change a bit there I'm pretty sure the inklings have more support now.
That was probably fan-made, we know nothing of the ballot results right now

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

It's pretty hard to get a real feel for the exact rankings. There's a lot of ebb and flow to it, and none of the straw polls out there give a true idea of what it's like since they're all affected by the biases of whichever groups happen to vote in them. Plus, there's still the (more likely than not) chance that they won't rely solely on total votes, anyway.

Anyway, it seems like Krystal's support is still going strong for the most part, while the Inklings have kind of fallen off since Splatoon came out and the hype has settled down. Plus, they might not even want to make the Inklings playable in Smash for a while, since their IP hasn't even been out half a year yet.

Top Bottom