• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Yeah kinda thought that after I posted the comment.
Yeah, I love K.Rool. sorry for the confusion!

I just find the concept of Shovel Knight to be really stupid. That, and the fact that he's overshadowing characters who I would much rather have, and that I think would be more interesting moveset wise than yet another sword/knight character. Yeah, it's a shovel, but is it really that much different?

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yeah, I love K.Rool. sorry for the confusion!

I just find the concept of Shovel Knight to be really stupid. That, and the fact that he's overshadowing characters who I would much rather have, and that I think would be more interesting moveset wise than yet another sword/knight character. Yeah, it's a shovel, but is it really that much different?
I don't think "lack of uniqueness" is really the major point against him. He's actually decently unique. It's more to do with Shovel Knight being an indie third party that's not known internationally, has only had one game, and appears to be ready to port to other systems outside Nintendo.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
On with topic of Krystal's possible inclusion, what are the chances that Nintendo will allow for her default costume to be her look from Adventures or will it be an Alt Costume kind of like Zero Suit Samus's costumes with Assault being her default choice?

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
On with topic of Krystal's possible inclusion, what are the chances that Nintendo will allow for her default costume to be her look from Adventures or will it be an Alt Costume kind of like Zero Suit Samus's costumes with Assault being her default choice?
Or in the veins of Little Mac who has a whopping number of 16 palette swaps in the game than any other character in the roster.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Most likely the Assault costume would be the default with the colors of Red, Green and Yellow with while the Advnetures costume would be the alternate having more tribal colors l so it would make a lot of sense but I would also love to see Krystal get a "Kursed" or "Corneria" costume as an alt

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I expect her default outfit will be a mix of the Assault and Command outfits with a slightly altered adventures look for her alt, Imagine what would happen if her actual adventures look got in...dear god

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I expect her default outfit will be a mix of the Assault and Command outfits with a slightly altered adventures look for her alt, Imagine what would happen if her actual adventures look got in...dear god
If she did get her Adventures Costume I think the reaction may be similar to when people saw Zero Suit Samus in her Alt Costume, which I would love as it would annoy the Krystal haters even more. It may be a bit more revealing then ZSS's but in Krystal's case, her costume would be someth9ing she wore in-game instead of a secret ending like ZSS.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If she did get her Adventures Costume I think the reaction may be similar to when people saw Zero Suit Samus in her Alt Costume, which I would love as it would annoy the Krystal haters even more. It may be a bit more revealing then ZSS's but in Krystal's case, her costume would be someth9ing she wore in-game instead of a secret ending like ZSS.
Still, it's a little much

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Based on what we've seen with the other Star Fox characters...I think she'd get a new look just for Smash, based on her outfits from Assault, Command, and the new game (assuming she's in, which seems more likely than not). I could see seven versions of that, and then her tribal outfit from Adventures as her eighth.

Hey, I don't think it's any more fanservicey than Shulk running around in his underwear. >_>

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Based on what we've seen with the other Star Fox characters...I think she'd get a new look just for Smash, based on her outfits from Assault, Command, and the new game (assuming she's in, which seems more likely than not). I could see seven versions of that, and then her tribal outfit from Adventures as her eighth.

Hey, I don't think it's any more fanservicey than Shulk running around in his underwear. >_>
Most likely she'll have a different uniform for Smash and could be the same one used for the upcoming Starfox Wii U game(most likely she'll be back in it) coming up in order to keep up with the current things of the series since Fox's uniform and the same with Falco for instance from Smash 4 will most likely be for the SF Wii U game. I would envision her with a flight jacket like Fox's and the rest like him as well for her new default uniform in a similar way like it is shown in my Krystal for DLC tag. That seems up to date on her look there. And if they want to place in her palette swaps to include her Adventures and Assault uniform, then go right ahead since those are uniforms she wored that every Starfox fan out there should know. Because the Kursed uniform she has, as interesting an idea for it is, but not much is shown on it from what I have seen. However, for Little Mac, they did managed to give him for his palette swap his sweatshirt and pants for one of his palette swaps so technically he does have 3 uniforms in the game(which includes that, his boxer uniform as we all know and his wireframe version). So that could work for Krystal to have a Kursed version of herself along with the Adventures and Assault versions.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Most likely she'll have a different uniform for Smash and could be the same one used for the upcoming Starfox Wii U game(most likely she'll be back in it) coming up in order to keep up with the current things of the series since Fox's uniform and the same with Falco for instance from Smash 4 will most likely be for the SF Wii U game. I would envision her with a flight jacket like Fox's and the rest like him as well for her new default uniform in a similar way like it is shown in my Krystal for DLC tag. That seems up to date on her look there. And if they want to place in her palette swaps to include her Adventures and Assault uniform, then go right ahead since those are uniforms she wored that every Starfox fan out there should know. Because the Kursed uniform she has, as interesting an idea for it is, but not much is shown on it from what I have seen. However, for Little Mac, they did managed to give him for his palette swap his sweatshirt and pants for one of his palette swaps so technically he does have 3 uniforms in the game(which includes that, his boxer uniform as we all know and his wireframe version). So that could work for Krystal to have a Kursed version of herself along with the Adventures and Assault versions.

An idea for the Kursed alternate costume I came up with is that, her voice becomes more like an emo character, along with a personality change

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
An idea for the Kursed alternate costume I came up with is that, her voice becomes more like an emo character, along with a personality change
Naw, then the team would say it was too much work and make her a different character :4pit::4darkpit:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Naw, then the team would say it was too much work and make her a different character :4pit::4darkpit:
Then would that mean we would get two Krystals? :D?

In all seriousness, while I do see then making Krystal a unique fighter, I don't see then taking the time to flesh out Kursed as an Alternate costume like that. It would be sweet if they did however.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It would be pretty awesome to have 4 Star Fox characters in one game.

Fox as main usual character
Falco as the similar but unique partner
Wolf as the furious arch rival
Krystal as the weapon master staff fighter.

Also any way to include just one similar move to the other 3 like the Fire Fox or Blaster

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
It would be pretty awesome to have 4 Star Fox characters in one game.

Fox as main usual character
Falco as the similar but unique partner
Wolf as the furious arch rival
Krystal as the weapon master staff fighter.

Also any way to include just one similar move to the other 3 like the Fire Fox or Blaster
I'd rather Krystal not have any move similar to Fox Falco or Wolf. She has the potential to be her own unique fighter without having to borrow from the others.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I'd rather Krystal not have any move similar to Fox Falco or Wolf. She has the potential to be her own unique fighter without having to borrow from the others.
Agreed. Her Up B move should have her using the Rocket Boost move with her staff and her Neutral B will be firing shots from staff and she could charge up the shot if possible. Anyway, other than that, Nintendo recently announced their E3 plans and from the looks of it, they are going to be having a Digital Event along with their Treehouse Event once again this year like how they did it last year so I'm not surprised. I'm starting to think that it is going to be like that from here on out. They even said that their focus is going to be on only games coming out for the Wii U and 3DS for the rest of 2015. So from the looks of Zelda Wii U, don't expect to hear anything from it since the Zelda producer Anouma has made it clear that it will not be shown this year at the event.

Plus, they are going to be doing the World Championships this year. Digital Event begins in June 16(first day of E3) at 9AM PT and to those living in the Eastern seaboard of the U.S(like me) starts at Noon. We can expect a lot of Starfox Wii U info to be not just in the Digital Event, but most likely in the Treehouse event as well even though we have no footage of the game since they are pretty much saving all of that for the event. Just 33 days more to go. We're getting there. ^^

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Oh hey, you're back.

Though I certainly don't remember Sakurai saying anything about Krystal.
Hi :039:

and yes i thought that was the case. One of the only characters i believe whose popularity he acknowledged publicly was Ridley (its soooo rare that he explains why a character cannot be a newcomer). I can't believe there are still assumptions going around in this thread.

saying "i know" makes it look like a fact instead of speculation.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Hi :039:

and yes i thought that was the case. One of the only characters i believe whose popularity he acknowledged publicly was Ridley (its soooo rare that he explains why a character cannot be a newcomer). I can't believe there are still assumptions going around in this thread.

saying "i know" makes it look like a fact instead of speculation.
I remember reading somewhere about him talking about which character to add from Star Fox and Krystal was mentioned along with Wolf. I don't remember where or when I read this so I can't back it up with anything.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Recently read this article that at once gave me hope and concern for Star Fox Wii U.

https://dromble.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/why-rebooting-star-fox-isnt-easy-for-nintendo/

I mostly have to agree with this assessment basically, at least the part where she discusses how to help Star Fox Wii U gain more appeal. I really think a massive expansion of what Assault did is the best way to go. I've discussed my specific ideas in regards to this, if any of you remember, so I won't go into it too much.

Long story short, for anyone who doesn't know, I really think they could create massive replayablity if each member of the team could be picked as playable in the campaign and each team member had unique abilities or tools or dialogue that would allow special areas, items, or paths to open up. Playing through the game with each team member to experience all the content and being able to enjoy unique dialogue for these unique situations would be pretty sweet. Also, an unlockable Star Wolf campaign, maybe online and local co-op for the campaign, and a robust multiplayer. Of course, I think the campaign should be made longer too.

It's a formula I think would work, and this kind of depth of content is something that I don't think any other Nintendo franchise does really. I mean, the idea of team members with unique abilities being able to play levels has been done. DK 64 is a great example. The Country games and some Mario platformers do it to a lesser extent with less truly unique team members. But imagine "DK 64" levels of unique team member play, but with it extended not just to the characters on foot but in vehicles with unique abilities. Add to that unique path options for the characters due to their unique abilities/tools, all paired with unique dialogue. It just seems like too good of a way to extend content AND develop characters uniquely. I really hope it happens. I sure did say "unique" a lot.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Recently read this article that at once gave me hope and concern for Star Fox Wii U.

https://dromble.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/why-rebooting-star-fox-isnt-easy-for-nintendo/

I mostly have to agree with this assessment basically, at least the part where she discusses how to help Star Fox Wii U gain more appeal. I really think a massive expansion of what Assault did is the best way to go. I've discussed my specific ideas in regards to this, if any of you remember, so I won't go into it too much.

Long story short, for anyone who doesn't know, I really think they could create massive replayablity if each member of the team could be picked as playable in the campaign and each team member had unique abilities or tools or dialogue that would allow special areas, items, or paths to open up. Playing through the game with each team member to experience all the content and being able to enjoy unique dialogue for these unique situations would be pretty sweet. Also, an unlockable Star Wolf campaign, maybe online and local co-op for the campaign, and a robust multiplayer. Of course, I think the campaign should be made longer too.

It's a formula I think would work, and this kind of depth of content is something that I don't think any other Nintendo franchise does really. I mean, the idea of team members with unique abilities being able to play levels has been done. DK 64 is a great example. The Country games and some Mario platformers do it to a lesser extent with less truly unique team members. But imagine "DK 64" levels of unique team member play, but with it extended not just to the characters on foot but in vehicles with unique abilities. Add to that unique path options for the characters due to their unique abilities/tools, all paired with unique dialogue. It just seems like too good of a way to extend content AND develop characters uniquely. I really hope it happens. I sure did say "unique" a lot.
I actually read that article a while back. Yeah it'll be cool to play as other characters in the campaign so you can get a different feeling what's it like being in their shoes. It also enhances the player's experience and fun of the game to include such content. That's why I would like to see in Starfox Wii U where there is a lot of stuff to work on and have certain missions that only those characters can do while others cannot for instance.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
As cool as that idea is guys, I have a bad feeling that since Miyamoto will be in a creatice role, the story will be Andorss is threatening Lylat, defeat him

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

This article has some good points. I don't think the whole "Miyamoto assigned Rare to re-invision Star Fox" thing is accurate, though. There were far more subtle business-related issues that led into the creation of Star Fox Adventures, but I won't get into them right now. It's kind of a shame, because if you ask people who are inclined with Star Fox about Star Fox Adventures, many of them will respond with an answer similar to what the person who wrote the article noted. At least, that's what I'm willing to bet.

Regardless, it's a definite uphill battle to make Star Fox relevant again to the current market. That much is quite clear.

The question is: How does Miyamoto plan to pull it off? What is going to be the extent of the content that the game will have to offer?

I suppose we'll find out at E3. 30 days away, was it?

Personally, I don't have faith in the franchise right now. But that's just me. I sort of feel like the only things that are keeping Star Fox alive are the Smash Brothers games and general Star Fox fans (and perhaps a few furries too). I don't mean to categorize, however. These are just my personal observations. I don't mean to imply accuracy.

It's cool to look at the possibilities and potential of something, and all. Believe me, I get this. Possibilities and potential were/are major points in all the arguments I have made (especially for Krystal in Smash and Star Fox as a series in general).

You soon realize however that it's difficult to convey ideas to other people that are merely possibilities. Many people will often not be able to see the possibilities in something that you can see... or at least see those possibilities as "happening" (therefore making those possibilities impossible).

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sorry If I am going odd topic, but the problem with Nintendo is that they focus too much on hardware "innovation" and not enough on the games, there are still plenty of ideas for creative new IPs that have never been done before, or new twists on classic game play formulas, (no clear warp pipes, cat suits, and flying suits don't count), an example of that was Metroid Prime . Instead of developing another cliché "Hero Rescues The Woman" platformer, Nintendo could be pushing the boundaries of game storytelling, like what Hideo Kojima has done with the Metal Gear games. Those games are known for innovation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is it just me or has the discussion here really ground to halt here as of late?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
E3 is where we will know the fate of our favorite blue vixen, I have plans for a best case scenario and the worst case scenario, where she is retconned out of existence. The realistic case scenario is that she will be back

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
E3 is where we will know the fate of our favorite blue vixen, I have plans for a best case scenario and the worst case scenario, where she is retconned out of existence. The realistic case scenario is that she will be back
I doubt she'll be removed from the franchise like that. Miyamoto and everyone at Nintendo are aware of the fanbase around her and they know it and this is coming from both the Japanese and Western audiences who like her. I don't think that we need to worry about it. I have a gut feeling she'll be back in SF Wii U for sure. Once a character like Krystal has established themselves in a franchise, they are there to stay.

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I don't think "lack of uniqueness" is really the major point against him. He's actually decently unique. It's more to do with Shovel Knight being an indie third party that's not known internationally, has only had one game, and appears to be ready to port to other systems outside Nintendo.
Thanks. I knew I had other reasons, but I was blanking on them at the time.

I would say a shovel is a unique weapon, but considering he mostly uses it like a sword, and it's more practical use wouldn't offer much in terms of a moveset... maybe I'm just missing something.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shovel Knight and Shantae's basic attack gimmicks could be easily accomplished by Cranky Kong and Dixie Kong respectively. Krystal's got no monkey business holding her back.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Shovel Knight and Shantae's basic attack gimmicks could be easily accomplished by Cranky Kong and Dixie Kong respectively. Krystal's got no monkey business holding her back.
She's got Wolf holding her back, which is debatabley worse, since they're from the same series... and in any case, Shovel Knight and Shantae are debatably holding back the Kongs, and King K.Rool ain't helping with that.

In any case, we need to come up with some way to market Krystal to more people; make them want to vote for her, boost her popularity. One could argue that the new Star Fox would do that, but I'm not sure it will be enough. My only Idea is to get Krystal Smashified...
Everyone with a Twitter account, go use this thing (#Smashified) to promote Krystal like crazy!

If you guys have anything better, please share it. I'm at a loss for ideas at this point.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
She's got Wolf holding her back, which is debatabley worse, since they're from the same series... and in any case, Shovel Knight and Shantae are debatably holding back the Kongs, and King K.Rool ain't helping with that.
I said Monkey Business. I said nothing about Lupine Business.

Unless Andross has gotten a lot of support that I'm unaware of.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Care to elaborate? I just can't see us getting both...
Basically Wolf being an easy job with only a new model and some balancing while Krystal gets in as the complete newcomer. And the two of them being tied into SFWiiU

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Care to elaborate? I just can't see us getting both...
Basically Wolf being an easy job with only a new model and some balancing while Krystal gets in as the complete newcomer. And the two of them being tied into SFWiiU
Moreso that both characters have a lot going for them. The whole "one rep per franchise" thing is assumed true even though we have no reason to believe it is.

And it certainly says something that moveset potential was one of the biggest things the developers looked for with the initial newcomers...and the biggest reason Krystal's been supported is her moveset potential.

Top Bottom