• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4pit: Lady Palutena, there's some kinda blue fox over here! And, uh...I think she's giving me a weird look.

:4palutena: Careful, Pit. That's no run-of-the-mill blue fox: that's Krystal, a member of the mercenary team Star Fox and a consummate clairvoyant. She holds within her the ancient power of a dead race, and she can read your thoughts like you'd read a book!

:4pit: I don't get it. What's a book?

:4palutena: Never mind that, just focus on the battle! Krystal's a...

:4pit: Lady Palutena?

:4palutena: Sorry, just a bit of divine static. Nothing to worry about. As I was saying, Krystal is...

:4pit: Are you just messing with me or is my laurel crown on the fritz?

:4palutena: Hang on, I'm getting some sort of an interference...like something's interrupting the...

KRYSTAL Hello there, Little Miss Goddess! You must be Palutena.

:4pit: Whoah, whoah! Who are you? And how'd you get inside my head?!

KRYSTAL No need to be alarmed, sweetheart! I won't be here for long. Just stopped by to say hello.

:4pit: Lady Palutena, I think this fox might be cursed! Is that why she's blue?

KRYSTAL Eyes on the prize, little angel! That's a fine-looking pair of blades you've got there, but don't get too cocky: I'm no slouch when it comes to fighting, either. This staff is for more than just decoration, you know!

:4pit: Yeah, yeah, it's a really nice...pointy, hurty-looking staff...but right now, I'd really like to talk to Lady Palutena!

KRYSTAL Well, if that's how you're gonna treat a lady, guess I'll just get back to the action. Talk about ungrateful - oh well, not like there's much going on in there anyway.

:4pit: Gah! That was too close for comfort.

:4palutena: ...and he said, "Floor ice-cream gives you health!" Can you believe that?

KRYSTAL Oh, Palutena, you're such a tease! We really must do this again sometime.

:4pit: Wait a sec, are you talking to her while you're supposed to be helping me?!

:4palutena: Oh, relax, Pit. Krystal and I were just shooting the breeze, that's all. Do me a favour and go easy on him, okay? He bruises like a grape.

KRYSTAL Will do, girlfriend!

:4pit: Why can't I just meet a nice girl who isn't trying to kill me?

A bit long, but I tried my best.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
:4pit: Lady Palutena, there's some kinda blue fox over here! And, uh...I think she's giving me a weird look.

:4palutena: Careful, Pit. That's no run-of-the-mill blue fox: that's Krystal, a member of the mercenary team Star Fox and a consummate clairvoyant. She holds within her the ancient power of a dead race, and she can read your thoughts like you'd read a book!

:4pit: I don't get it. What's a book?

:4palutena: Never mind that, just focus on the battle! Krystal's a...

:4pit: Lady Palutena?

:4palutena: Sorry, just a bit of divine static. Nothing to worry about. As I was saying, Krystal is...

:4pit: Are you just messing with me or is my laurel crown on the fritz?

:4palutena: Hang on, I'm getting some sort of an interference...like something's interrupting the...

KRYSTAL Hello there, Little Miss Goddess! You must be Palutena.

:4pit: Whoah, whoah! Who are you? And how'd you get inside my head?!

KRYSTAL No need to be alarmed, sweetheart! I won't be here for long. Just stopped by to say hello.

:4pit: Lady Palutena, I think this fox might be cursed! Is that why she's blue?

KRYSTAL Eyes on the prize, little angel! That's a fine-looking pair of blades you've got there, but don't get too cocky: I'm no slouch when it comes to fighting, either. This staff is for more than just decoration, you know!

:4pit: Yeah, yeah, it's a really nice...pointy, hurty-looking staff...but right now, I'd really like to talk to Lady Palutena!

KRYSTAL Well, if that's how you're gonna treat a lady, guess I'll just get back to the action. Talk about ungrateful - oh well, not like there's much going on in there anyway.

:4pit: Gah! That was too close for comfort.

:4palutena: ...and he said, "Floor ice-cream gives you health!" Can you believe that?

KRYSTAL Oh, Palutena, you're such a tease! We really must do this again sometime.

:4pit: Wait a sec, are you talking to her while you're supposed to be helping me?!

:4palutena: Oh, relax, Pit. Krystal and I were just shooting the breeze, that's all. Do me a favour and go easy on him, okay? He bruises like a grape.

KRYSTAL Will do, girlfriend!

:4pit: Why can't I just meet a nice girl who isn't trying to kill me?

A bit long, but I tried my best.

Heh, I have to admit... I can't very well imagine Krystal saying much of that.

Sounds more like Viridi or some other loud, sassy, and borderline obnoxious character... maybe. The "sweetheart!" part in particular totally pushed her voice out of my head. It came back toward the middle, but in general the dialogue had me confused. I couldn't decide if I was hearing "snobby British aristocratic-ness" or "sassy urban dialect/valley girl" or something. I was at once expecting a "I do so enjoy our little conversations, but I'm afraid I must go. Ta ta!" or a "heh-HA, yeaah. I'll see you beezies later, mkay." In case you're wondering, the "urban dialects" that played in my head ranged from sassy black woman, to shrill new jerseyan with constant gum chewing.

Yeah, it was an amusing read, but so not Krystal imo. I mean she's kind of fun and sassy, but she keeps it understated. Think soft chuckles and less loud laughs. She's not one to toss around nicknames and fill a room with her boisterousness either. The loose lingo like she knows everyone and dismisses them easily isn't really her style although she can read thoughts. She practically treats Pit and Palutena like quaint little amusements. With this characterization, it wouldn't be out of character for her to say, "Yeah, yeah, anyways... this is about me right now, so can you get Angel Boy to shush up Palutena dear?" It's like Hades attitude but female, so maybe sounds like Pandora, but with Viridi's loudness and snappy dialogue? Yeah, I'm still confused by it. I seriously can't quite place what voice I'm hearing from one sentence to another... I just know it's not Krystal.

Sorry to get nitpicky. Perhaps this was always meant to be funny in it's ridiculousness. It was funny in that case. I just care perhaps too much about Krystal's characterization and this one made me cringe a bit.

The idea of her telepathically interrupting seems a tad out of character too, but that's something I'll refrain from getting into.

I hope I'm not coming off mean, I just really had to say something since it was bothering me. I think it's cool you did this. I couldn't do it and feel I was doing it right or well myself probably.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The idea of her telepathically interrupting seems a tad out of character too, but that's something I'll refrain from getting into.
For what it's worth, the idea I had involved her cutting in after Palutena and/or Viridi poke fun at her (Maybe a line about Palutena thinking her staff isn't up to snuff would go here?), and then having her catch on and telepathically interrupt with an *ahem*.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, the idea I had involved her cutting in after Palutena and/or Viridi poke fun at her (Maybe a line about Palutena thinking her staff isn't up to snuff would go here?), and then having her catch on and telepathically interrupt with an *ahem*.
Yeah. Krystal either doesn't seem to use her telepathic communication casually, or she doesn't use it easily, or both. I don't think she ever uses it to talk to Fox or any other team member in Assault when she could... although it could be awkward to work that into gameplay/story. Adventures on the other hand benefited from Krystal's ability to speak this way since they didn't have actual communicators and it allowed Krystal to teach Fox about the staff and call for help. Although, I always got this sense that she somehow stored her telepathic message in her staff and that's why it came easily, while her calls for help came later and seemed more difficult to "send". She seems much more capable or it's just easier for her to sense thoughts and emotions than it is to send or receive detailed thoughts... at least that's what I've kind of concluded from playing Star Fox and seeing how and when Krystal uses her abilities.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ jahkzheng jahkzheng , fair enough. I appreciate your candour - criticism is how we improve our craft, after all~ :3

I'll do better next time. It's a constant process, I'll know in future.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ jahkzheng jahkzheng , fair enough. I appreciate your candour - criticism is how we improve our craft, after all~ :3

I'll do better next time. It's a constant process, I'll know in future.
Thanks for being cool, heh.

Seems like it was probably harder for me to say than it was for you to hear. I don't like criticizing, but I'm frustratingly critical in my own mind sometimes, so its always a big decision to chose to say anything. A part of me would always rather not just to avoid potential offense while the other is driven by reaction and wants to be addressed. This especially happens in "art" as I have a hard time not seeing little incongruous things in otherwise fine work.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Thanks for being cool, heh.

Seems like it was probably harder for me to say than it was for you to hear. I don't like criticizing, but I'm frustratingly critical in my own mind sometimes, so its always a big decision to chose to say anything. A part of me would always rather not just to avoid potential offense while the other is driven by reaction and wants to be addressed. This especially happens in "art" as I have a hard time not seeing little incongruous things in otherwise fine work.
It's alright, I'm quite the same. You can't be an artist and have a thin skin for very long, you've got to take criticism in your stride and use it to do better next time. :3

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
It's alright, I'm quite the same. You can't be an artist and have a thin skin for very long, you've got to take criticism in your stride and use it to do better next time. :3
I do a bit of art myself but, as you can imagine, I'm pretty critical of it and it can get frustrating... especially because I'm only half-decent at most art, and I get by on effort and not skill so much.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
kry-adv.png
kry-assault.png

"I'll do these and then go to bed, this should only take a few minutes"

three hours later, here we are. anyway, just my thoughts on color palettes. four for Adventures, four for Assault.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
View attachment 50165 View attachment 50166

three hours later, here we are. anyway, just my thoughts on color palettes. four for Adventures, four for Assault.
Agreed. These would make good palette swaps for Krystal if she were to be included as DLC. Wow, just one more month till we hear Nintendo's E3. Part of me thinks that they could do another Digital Event like how they did it last year. What do you guys think?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Agreed. These would make good palette swaps for Krystal if she were to be included as DLC. Wow, just one more month till we hear Nintendo's E3. Part of me thinks that they could do another Digital Event like how they did it last year. What do you guys think?

I dunno. How long before E3 2014 was the trailer for last year's digital event?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Digital even without a doubt and I honestly prefer it that way. Allows them to better focus on the games plus we get better quality footage

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Digital even without a doubt and I honestly prefer it that way. Allows them to better focus on the games plus we get better quality footage
I'll second that. I actually attended E3 in 2013, and I might be going to it this year too. For when they had the digital event going on in 2013, I just watched it from my hotel room, and went to the event later.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Seems pretty likely they'll stick with it, since it's worked pretty well so far. I'm willing to bet they'll also follow it up with a livestream; last year's was such a massive success that I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maaan, I hate big crowds and stuff but just once I think it'd be fun to go to E3.
I feel the same, though add in that'd I'd be flying across the world to get there and hate long flights.

giantstuffeddog

Smash Rookie
I have my fingers crossed for Krystal. My dream would be for her to be announced alongside Wolf next month at E3, but that's wishful thinking. lol. I hope we'll see her in whatever SF Wii U footage we get, at least.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 50165 View attachment 50166

Oh my god, I love all of these!
I could totally see me using the Darker Fured Alt of Adventures when playing in normal Online matches by myself and with my friend. And the While Color Alt from Assault if I were to go to Tournaments with her!

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Oh my god, I love all of these!
I could totally see me using the Darker Fured Alt of Adventures when playing in normal Online matches by myself and with my friend. And the While Color Alt from Assault if I were to go to Tournaments with her!
blushy.png thank you very much ^^ The white one is my favorite from the Assault set, too. Next time I have some time to spare I might do a set for one or two other characters I'm rooting for like Ravio

As for reveals at E3 - I'd be pretty surprised if we got both her AND Wolf. Pleasantly surprised, of course, but surprised. If we got both of them, do you think they' share a teaser video or each get their own?

Wolf's video would obviously get the Star Wolf theme, but what about Krystal's? I think I'd set it to Area 6/Missile Slipstream.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
View attachment 50318 thank you very much ^^ The white one is my favorite from the Assault set, too. Next time I have some time to spare I might do a set for one or two other characters I'm rooting for like Ravio

As for reveals at E3 - I'd be pretty surprised if we got both her AND Wolf. Pleasantly surprised, of course, but surprised. If we got both of them, do you think they' share a teaser video or each get their own?

Wolf's video would obviously get the Star Wolf theme, but what about Krystal's? I think I'd set it to Area 6/Missile Slipstream.
I love your palette swaps very unique especially the White Assault alt.

And I can see Wolf and Krystal sharing a trailer I think the music playing would be Area6/ StarWolf 's theme or Space Battlefield (I think that's theme of the 1st level in Assault if I'm correct) since it would fit into usual epic theme the trailers usually have so no telling and I like to say I voted for Krystal again this time on a friend's computer as he too wanted Krystal so hoping our blue vixen gets lucky :)

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I love your palette swaps very unique especially the White Assault alt.

And I can see Wolf and Krystal sharing a trailer I think the music playing would be Area6/ StarWolf 's theme or Space Battlefield (I think that's theme of the 1st level in Assault if I'm correct) since it would fit into usual epic theme the trailers usually have so no telling and I like to say I voted for Krystal again this time on a friend's computer as he too wanted Krystal so hoping our blue vixen gets lucky :)
Well, like I said before, hopefully everything will work in our favor for us Starfox fans. Time flies by quickly and the next thing you know, we get close to hearing some news we have been waiting for.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Tinking about Krystal's size and balence, I wonder how it works. Sizes of characters are loosley canon in terms of relativity (Pikachu is smaller than Charizard) but doesn't follow it to the letter (if Palutena's canon size was used she be as tall if not more so than Rosalina, especially if Pit was used to measure it). Krystal is about the same size as Fox but I'm curious to see if she'd be taller or shorter.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Tinking about Krystal's size and balence, I wonder how it works. Sizes of characters are loosley canon in terms of relativity (Pikachu is smaller than Charizard) but doesn't follow it to the letter (if Palutena's canon size was used she be as tall if not more so than Rosalina, especially if Pit was used to measure it). Krystal is about the same size as Fox but I'm curious to see if she'd be taller or shorter.
She's probably gonna be taller than Fox. We never seen a game where she's not taller than Fox, so I think it's obvious. (Heck, I'm half a foot shorter than my girlfriend. I don't care either way)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think if she were around falco's height that would be good, she'd probably be less wide though

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
She's probably gonna be taller than Fox. We never seen a game where she's not taller than Fox, so I think it's obvious. (Heck, I'm half a foot shorter than my girlfriend. I don't care either way)
Think the artwork for Command had her shorter than Fox, but only very slightly. In Assault she's about Fox's size, and may appear very slightly taller due to her heels and thinner frame. In Adventures, she's taller, especially in artwork.

Generally, she's about Fox's height but thinner. Her narrower frame makes her appear taller in general and she usually has more heel too, which could account for the perception that's she always taller. Only time I've noticed she's obviously taller in canon representations is in Adventure's artwork. I'd expect her Smash appearance to only be slightly taller than or as tall as Fox, but appear more significantly taller due to a more upright posture, more heel, and just having a thinner frame. In my exploration of how I might represent her in Smash, I figured having the top of her head as high as the tips of Fox's ears when he's standing upright to be about right for her.

Here's some pics I threw together for reference. First shows Fox standing upright relative to Falco, and the second shows the height of his usual stance...
The long blue lines approximate Krystal's height to the top of her head and the shorter blue lines show where the tips of her ears would reach.

I expect her posture to be pretty upright. Not Peach or WFT upright, but a bit more upright than Falco. I imagine she'll have her knees slightly bent in a more "ready" posture given the kind of physical staff attacks she'll be performing for standards. These are just approximations of course, based on ideas I've extrapolated from what I've seen of her representation and the effort to make her relatively size appropriate compared to the other Star Fox characters.

Obviously, her proportions will be a combination of her Assault and Command appearances, which basically means her head will be slightly bigger and her torso slightly shorter than it is in Assault. Her Smash trophy is actually fairly close although the head needs to be slightly bigger. We don't want her to look too odd compared to Fox you know.

I've been really busy, but I was getting ready to try and calculate her frame size relative to other fighters in Smash so that I could have a template for a skeleton to start posing with. That's part of what these rough estimates I've made are about. The idea is to pose a stick figure (skeleton of Krystal) in key frames and try and make a basic animation. Then the hard part of drawing Krystal onto this skeleton for numerous frames can begin. I think it's very important to get the basic shape visualized first of course.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been making the rounds with the question of "do you want this character to be a semi-clone in DLC or a Smash 5 original"? For Krystal, I feel it can only be her being made wholecloth. I mean Wolf already has the semi-clone angle covered pretty well. To the point that people get angry when you call him a semi-clone.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I've been making the rounds with the question of "do you want this character to be a semi-clone in DLC or a Smash 5 original"? For Krystal, I feel it can only be her being made wholecloth. I mean Wolf already has the semi-clone angle covered pretty well. To the point that people get angry when you call him a semi-clone.
Just going off what Adventures brings her moveset potential, it'd make more sense for her to be fully original than it'd make for her to be a semi-clone.

If you take away Adventures as inspiration, though, things get muddier. It'd still be in poor taste to have another derivative Star Fox moveset, though.

Heh. Regardless, this is just a "would you rather" scenario, anyway. I'd actually pass on her being Smash 4 DLC if it meant she'd be guaranteed for Smash 5. Or wait...or would the first option guarantee her for Smash 4 DLC? Hm...

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
To be quite frank, it's not impossible or implausible for us to get both Krystal and Wolf, it could be like Robin and Lucina's trailer
Even though Krystal isn't my first pick for the ballot it would be awesome if Wolf and Krystal were revealed at E3.
I'd imagine, Fox fighting in his Arwing and then something shoots him down. He emerges from the rubble and he dodges a laser. A voice says "I can't let you do that Star Fox"

WOLF STALKS HIS PREY!
gameplay of him
Then Wolf is beating down Fox and Falco and the Wolf gets smashed away. Fox looks up and then
Krystal reveal because I can't think of anything.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Even though Krystal isn't my first pick for the ballot it would be awesome if Wolf and Krystal were revealed at E3.
I'd imagine, Fox fighting in his Arwing and then something shoots him down. He emerges from the rubble and he dodges a laser. A voice says "I can't let you do that Star Fox"

WOLF STALKS HIS PREY!
gameplay of him
Then Wolf is beating down Fox and Falco and the Wolf gets smashed away. Fox looks up and then
Krystal reveal because I can't think of anything.
KRYSTAL JOINS THE ASSAULT!
Is my idea of what her splash tagline would be

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Ugh...Don;t do this to me...I want to have Krystal be a playable character so bad that I'd take the Semi-clone...But at the same time I want for her to be a completely unique fighter so she doesn't get anymore extra hate from people...I really don't know to be honest.

Top Bottom