• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
With the ballot and Star Fox Wii U on the Horizon, (No pun intended), I really doubt Krystal will be ignored by Sakurai this time.
As for Shantae and Shovel Knight, they may be unique, but they are niche characters in all honesty, and licensing will be a hell, licensing is not an issue with Krystal or K Rool, since technically they are 1st Party Characters. Those two's supporters are like the Daisy, Ridley, or Waluigi supporters, very vocal minorities.
Ridley supporters aren't a minority, half want him, half don't.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Hey guys! I'm new to Smashboards. I'm more of a competitive Smash player than a casual one but I always love using new characters even if they suck in tiers (like vanilla Palutena).

I really want to vote for Krystal (I also want Dixie but I think Krystal needs the support) but want to know some really good reasons for why to vote for her. All I can think of are:
-1st Party (no legal issues)
-Female (not enough plus Sakurai wanted more i.e. ZSS)
-Decently large fanbase (fairly popular pick)
-Main Star Fox member (she's one of the pilots now)
-Krystal's Staff (makes her a unique weapon wielder and with its special powers)
-Telepathic abilities can somehow be incorporated a la Shulk's visions
-New Star Fox game coming soon (good advertising)
-Miyamoto dubbed 2015 the "Year of Star Fox"
-Being DLC can help promote the new Star Fox
-She can possibly use other weapons such as from Assault's multiplayer

I don't think some of these reasons or too great tbh (such as being female). I'm also not entirely sure if Nintendo is gonna wanna base Krystal very heavily on her staff usage which was from a game over a decade ago. Look at what happened to Bowser Jr. Everyone thought up movesets incorporating his paintbrush but we now see that he is more based on his most recent appearances (minus his Final Smash) where he mostly used gadgets, mechs, and other devices to try and beat Mario because of his small stature although one can make a tiny case about Mario still retaining his old F.L.U.D.D. from Brawl. This article particularly brought up the case of her staff and her "represent[ing] the most controversial title in the series." http://smashmusicideas.tumblr.com/post/118615678523/smashs-most-wanted-18-krystal

I come from GameFAQs where, as you guys already know, very few actually support the blue vixen there including TheLegendaryFox and Gargomon251 (based on their sigs). I created a poll asking people who they think the next most wanted 1st Party Nintendo girl is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/71799964. There could've been more choices but I couldn't think of any other worthwhile female to include besides Dixie and Krystal so the others were practically filler minus Inkling Girl. Dixie seems to be GameFAQs next most wanted 1st party female.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hey guys! I'm new to Smashboards. I'm more of a competitive Smash player than a casual one but I always love using new characters even if they suck in tiers (like vanilla Palutena).

I really want to vote for Krystal (I also want Dixie but I think Krystal needs the support) but want to know some really good reasons for why to vote for her. All I can think of are:
-Krystal's Staff (makes her a unique weapon wielder and with its special powers)

I don't think some of these reasons or too great tbh (such as being female). I'm also not entirely sure if Nintendo is gonna wanna base Krystal very heavily on her staff usage which was from a game over a decade ago. Look at what happened to Bowser Jr. Everyone thought up movesets incorporating his paintbrush but we now see that he is more based on his most recent appearances (minus his Final Smash) where he mostly used gadgets, mechs, and other devices to try and beat Mario because of his small stature although one can make a tiny case about Mario still retaining his old F.L.U.D.D. from Brawl. This article particularly brought up the case of her staff and her "represent[ing] the most controversial title in the series." http://smashmusicideas.tumblr.com/post/118615678523/smashs-most-wanted-18-krystal

I come from GameFAQs where, as you guys already know, very few actually support the blue vixen there including TheLegendaryFox and Gargomon251 (based on their sigs). I created a poll asking people who they think the next most wanted 1st Party Nintendo girl is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/71799964. There could've been more choices but I couldn't think of any other worthwhile female to include besides Dixie and Krystal so the others were practically filler minus Inkling Girl. Dixie seems to be GameFAQs next most wanted 1st party female.
There's Lip from Panel de Pon.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
There's Lip from Panel de Pon.
Yes, but as of now, she is a really obscure character especially in the States. Mostly Japanese would know of her even with her most recent appearance in Captain Rainbow, only released in Japan. Even with the Lip's Stick item representing Panel de Pon, people still don't pay attention to her.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yes, but as of now, she is a really obscure character especially in the States. Mostly Japanese would know of her even with her most recent appearance in Captain Rainbow, only released in Japan. Even with the Lip's Stick item representing Panel de Pon, people still don't pay attention to her.
Well theres a pretty successful Lip thread. Also Captain Rainbow, is there a thread here for that. If not someone needs to make it.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Well theres a pretty successful Lip thread. Also Captain Rainbow, is there a thread here for that. If not someone needs to make it.
The thread may be successful but it doesn't mean a lot of people outside of Smashboards really want her. I would also assume her fanbase is really small.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
What did you guys think of the fanart I posted
It's great fanart! I like how it really looks like her. Other fanarts I've seen change her body proportions to more anime standards and make her head smaller so these are a real treat! I would do some art too but I am incredibly busy with college right now. In a month I'll be free and might do some art or concept art of a Krystal moveset if people are really interested in that. I've seen a really good one of Dixie and Banjo-Kazooie. I can even try and work with MMD if I can find a compatible Krystal model and her staff.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It's great fanart! I like how it really looks like her. Other fanarts I've seen change her body proportions to more anime standards and make her head smaller so these are a real treat! I would do some art too but I am incredibly busy with college right now. In a month I'll be free and might do some art or concept art of a Krystal moveset if people are really interested in that. I've seen a really good one of Dixie and Banjo-Kazooie. I can even try and work with MMD if I can find a compatible Krystal model and her staff.
You can find some really good fanart on Deviantart, also some bad fan art and OOC fanart

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

The bolded points are the key ones here. Krystal's biggest draw (and one of the biggest reasons for her support) is how unique she would be while still being a prominent part of her home series.

The grayed out ones are...more or less irrelevant. Smash is more a celebration of Nintendo than a means to advertise its games, and we can't count on that to change. Even with how hyped up Splatoon is becoming, the only promo Smash is getting is those creepy looking Mii costumes. Any characters that make it in through the Ballot will have to do so on their own merits.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
You can find some really good fanart on Deviantart, also some bad fan art and OOC fanart
Of course, I also have a DeviantArt account and have actually looked up pics of Krystal there. GENZOMAN supports Krystal being in Smash too!

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman

Oh, you come from GameFAQs too? What's your user name over there?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

You used Bowser Jr as an example however his situation is very different, All the weapons Bowser Jr uses are very much unrepresented and as a character he is made to represent Bowsers minions not Bowser Jr himself whereas Krystal using the assault gear would be redundant with Fox, Falco and Wolf who already represent the futuristic side of Star Fox with their Blasters and Reflectors. Krystal as a character was never strongly associated with that side of the Star Fox universe so basing her on that would be pointless and would be a complete waste of unique potential.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
With the ballot and Star Fox Wii U on the Horizon, (No pun intended), I really doubt Krystal will be ignored by Sakurai this time.
You capitalized "Horizon". That pun was sooo intended, heh. Don't even try to fool us.

@ I iMACobra

All those reasons are pretty good ones. It's impossible to say what Sakurai will do with our desires, but that can be said of any character.

Here's a link to a list I made for Krystal in the Democracy thread, since it seemed like the purpose of the thread was to "sell our character choice". I used a basic format used by others in the thread.

Hmm, I see a distinct lack of Krystal in this thread and it's a bit concerning. I voted for her. I'll list some reasons why she's very much a good choice for a vote!

1. Year of the Star Fox! (Star Fox Wii U)

Star Fox Wii U is poised to be the big game of 2015 and it just so happens to coincide with this Smash DLC thing. There's never been a better time for Nintendo to cash in on Star Fox. Miyamoto himself is working on it and even dubbed 2015 "Year of the Star Fox". There's still some question out there about it, but come E3 you know the hype will be real and it'll be time for Star Fox to get some love. In short, Star Fox has the relevancy points in spades.

2. We can have our cake and eat it too... except the cake is Wolf and Krystal is the part where you get to eat it! (Star Fox is underrepresented)

With the cut of Wolf, Star Fox has a scant two reps in Smash. No other franchise, other than DK, is begging for not just one, but two additional reps more than Star Fox. It can happen people. Star Fox is going to be big this year and if any franchise can pull off snagging a vet AND a newcomer, it's Star Fox. If you voted Wolf, I totally understand and I want him back badly too. I also think he must already be in development after the Lucas release. I voted Krystal because I'm optimistic we can have both. I hope Wolf supporters join us under the banner of Star Fox when the old villain gets back in the game.

3. Krystal has a ton of potential for a unique moveset! (Especially with that staff)

Anyone who's played Star Fox Adventures knows that the game featured a unique weapon with many different properties. That weapon was Krystal's staff. When Fox picks it up in Adventures, he gets a messages from Krystal through it informing him that the staff would teach him it's abilities over time. This implies that all the moves Fox learns in the game are inherent to the staff and known to Krystal. This staff is her greatest opportunity for standing out. The staff is a physical weapon as well as a "magical" weapon and a tool. It differentiates itself from Palutena's scepter by being used more like martial art weapon in Adventures in physical combat. How cool would it be to have an actual staff user in the roster? Of course, it's more "magical" properties could be used in her specials. These include a fire blaster, an ice blast, a rocket boost, and a quake move. She could even get it back in the new Star Fox game making it more relevant than ever. Speaking of that....

3.2 But that's not all! (Krystal could have more than just her staff to use)

Depending on how Star Fox Wii U goes, the Star Fox team may acquire new tools, weapons, and abilities. If Krystal gets considered as DLC and the cash in comes from a reference to the new Star Fox, you can bet they'll use it. Krystal may have moves we haven't even imagined yet because they'll borrow from a game that's not even released! Wolf is unlikely to change, similar to Lucas, and is unlikely to take much time to port from Brawl and refine. The door is so wide open for Krystal to represent not just Star Fox as a franchise, but the new Star Fox game in Smash.

4. Krystal is more popular than you might think and has a great shot to get on this roster! (Krystal is not a wasted vote)

Some polls lately may have you thinking that Krystal isn't as popular as some characters, and in some polls it's true. Reddit and Gamefaqs aren't huge supporters in general, but here on Smashboards it's a sunnier outlook for Krystal. Fact is that most polls have her among the top 10 to 12 characters period and when it comes to newcomers she's often in the top 5. A recent Japanese poll in particular had her as their second most requested newcomer character after K. Rool. A poll started by "The Nerdy One" and posted on Gamefaqs and referenced on Smashboards currently has Krystal among the top 5 after over 300 votes. K. Rool dominates as expected, but the only characters between Krystal and the top are Isaac, Roy, and Wolf! Wolf is a friend to our cause as far as I'm concerned, if he gets in Krystal's chances increase actually. Many of the other characters getting votes just behind her are characters that face unique limiting factors to their probable inclusion like Banjo, Ridley, Bayonetta, and Snake.

Visit the Krystal for DLC thread here to find out more about why Krystal is so great and everything we're trying to do to help her cause. Currently we're brainstroming how to illustrate her potential movesets, mostly to do with the staff, so that people can see how interesting she could be as a character. Leap to the end if you want current conversations, heh. We're a pretty nice group too if I do say so myself.

Krystallize Smash!!!

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Oh, you come from GameFAQs too? What's your user name over there?
Same exact name here.I made the poll.
You used Bowser Jr as an example however his situation is very different, All the weapons Bowser Jr uses are very much unrepresented and as a character he is made to represent Bowsers minions not Bowser Jr himself whereas Krystal using the assault gear would be redundant with Fox, Falco and Wolf who already represent the futuristic side of Star Fox with their Blasters and Reflectors. Krystal as a character was never strongly associated with that side of the Star Fox universe so basing her on that would be pointless and would be a complete waste of unique potential.
You're right. I just watched a video on the origin of Bowser Jr.'s moves and most of them come from other enemies but the boxing gloves are an attack from New Super Mario Bros. U but it is just one move.

What did you guys think of the link(s) I posted?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I just realized that there is no Supporters List. That's sad.
Ismar actually inherited this thread from the original creator, who died tragically. As a result, Ismar is hesitant to edit the OP much at all. I guess the supporter list idea never came up early in this thread's life. I guess it feels too late to start now? Not sure. It's complicated.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Ismar actually inherited this thread from the original creator, who died tragically. As a result, Ismar is hesitant to edit the OP much at all. I guess the supporter list idea never came up early in this thread's life. I guess it feels too late to start now? Not sure. It's complicated.
Oh, well that's horrible. Well its not impossible if they wanted too. Someone went back about 200 pages in K. Rool's thread to gather up all the supporters for BKupa to add.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Arent you from gamefaqs by the same name?

anyways we need art like this to help our cause, if you can pull that off in moveset form that'd be great!

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302

anyways we need art like this to help our cause, if you can pull that off in moveset form that'd be great!
Yes, are you from GameFAQs too perchance?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yes, are you from GameFAQs too perchance?
What? No.

I used to troll there with my alt, that omelet guy... yeah i liked messing with him. I have a great memory so i know many users here and there and how they operate. (yeah i know its odd >_> )

but again thank you for at least considering drawing a concept moveset, as we don't have any like those yet :/

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
What? No.

I used to troll there with my alt, that omelet guy... yeah i liked messing with him. I have a great memory so i know many users here and there and how they operate. (yeah i know its odd >_> )

but again thank you for at least considering drawing a concept moveset, as we don't have any like those yet :/
Yeah, I'll get to that when I can.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

It's great to have another fellow supporter of our favorite blue vixen to join us. Welcome to Smashboards. I'm happy that there are a couple of Krystal supporters in Gamefaqs in which I thought there were only those who were against her for no reason. Anyway, some of the reasons you posted here of why she has a chance to be in Smash 4 as DLC are some of thie things I agree with you on and hopefully this time around, Krystal won't be ignored this time especially with a new Starfox game for the Wii U coming up which will be shown next month at E3(most likely be a major subject they'll have to talk about). I don't think there is anything that will prevent Miyamoto from showing it. When you mentioned about the Inkling Girl in your comment, I'd say her chances to be in Smash 4's DLC is not very good since not only is Splatoon an upcoming game for the Wii U because it's a brand new IP, but it will be as part of the Mii Fighters costume for DLC. For the next Smash game, I can see her along with the Inkling Boy making it in since it will already be several years since Splatoon came out.

And to continue our support for Krystal, even though I posted these pics here before I found online, here they are again:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We get plenty of gals in Smash, but a lot of them are dainty princesses in a dress. Krystal would be different from that for sure.

Then again so would Dixie Kong. Also my gal Barbara.

Erm but this is about Krystal and yes she has a lot going for her obviously. So yeah, I guess I support her. I'd rather her than Wolf again (sorry).

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Oh, well that's horrible. Well its not impossible if they wanted too. Someone went back about 200 pages in K. Rool's thread to gather up all the supporters for BKupa to add.
Yeah, that could be done. I'm not the one to do it however. I've been really really busy lately and there's better ways for me to help this community when I do get a chance than to pour over pages of this thread, heh.

I've had similar plans for a while now, but just haven't had the time I thought I would after classes this semester. Still very busy. Would be cool if Cobra could do something though.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
The problem with adding everyone in these 200 pages is that they may not be supporting Krystal now because this thread was made years before the ballot. They might have other characters they want to support and vote for even more.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
The problem with adding everyone in these 200 pages is that they may not be supporting Krystal now because this thread was made years before the ballot. They might have other characters they want to support and vote for even more.
Even if they don't support her as much and want other characters more, doesn't mean they still don't support her. As you can tell from my picture I want K. Rool more than Krystal but I still support her.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone remember that one guy named Jordan. The one who boosted Krystal's votes in that poll? He just uploaded a video on his YouTube advocating for Krystal's inclusion in Smash Bros with the ballot! This guy has been putting so much work into Krystal's campaign its wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2kzHe5DLls

Its animated as well so it has an extra appeal then just having pictures in the background and clips from Star Fox games.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Does anyone remember that one guy named Jordan. The one who boosted Krystal's votes in that poll? He just uploaded a video on his YouTube advocating for Krystal's inclusion in Smash Bros with the ballot! This guy has been putting so much work into Krystal's campaign its wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2kzHe5DLls

Its animated as well so it has an extra appeal then just having pictures in the background and clips from Star Fox games.
I saw it. This guy is not only a true Starfox fan, but one heck of a Krystal supporter like any of us. I give kudos to him to make this video. He could get a lot of views with the effort he placed in it. I completely agree with everything he has to say and it's just exactly how I thought for it to be.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Friendly reminder that I still want Krystal. I only have made fanart of the 2 characters I want the most. And even if for some reason K. Rool doesn't make it but Krystal does.

A cat fox is fine too.

Also, if there is something that benefits Krystal from being a furry goddess, is that she gets the best fanart. An "Smashified" version would the the cherry to the Krystal bananart split.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys Japan may be our biggest ally, considering her popularity there and since Nintendo really listens to Japan more. Not to mention her competiton, Chibi-Robo is irrelevant and even more niche than Kid Icarus, Issac may be popular but the Golden Sun franchise is irrelevant as well, Paper Mario might be in, but I think 9 reps is still too much for any franchise.K Rool we will definitely get.
There are three main factors that I look for in a newcomer:
Moveset Potential
Popularity
Relevance

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Guys Japan may be our biggest ally, considering her popularity there and since Nintendo really listens to Japan more. Not to mention her competiton, Chibi-Robo is irrelevant and even more niche than Kid Icarus, Issac may be popular but the Golden Sun franchise is irrelevant as well, Paper Mario might be in, but I think 9 reps is still too much for any franchise.K Rool we will definitely get.
There are three main factors that I look for in a newcomer:
Moveset Potential
Popularity
Relevance
Relevance means little. Was Wii Fit Trainer relevant, no. Chibi-Robo can get in, ISAAC IS LITERALLY THE SECOND MOST POPULAR CHARACTER IN THE BALLOT. I don't particularly care about Paper Mario since Toad has a better shot in my mind.

Top Bottom