• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

danbrysmi

Smash Rookie
Made my smashboard account to support this thread. I'm a huge fan of the Professor Layton games and I really really want him in smash bros. After seeing the future of Layton (Layton 7) I really think Layton needs a smash bros sized boost to get himself back in.

EDIT: Can I be invited to this group as well? I don't know what it is but I would be happy to join whatever it is :yoshi64:

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
smash bros allows some smaller Nintendo franchises to get noticed earthbound is an example of this i hope they do not take layton the mobile route

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Made an account just to support this. I've wanted Layton since Brawl, and after voting for him in the ballot, think he has a real chance. I agree with all the points in favour of him, but the announcement about Layton 7 might hurt his chances a bit.

EDIT: Also, could I be invited to that group? Thanks.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
yeah i really hope they scrap layton 7 as to me the professor layton franchise stands out compared with all the terrible money grabbing puzzle games and i do not want him to become one

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe the guys who are designing the puzzles have ran out of ideas. There's always in the manual noting that a real life professor (whom I forgot the name of) created these, perhaps he retired or is just waiting for Level-5.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Maybe the guys who are designing the puzzles have ran out of ideas. There's always in the manual noting that a real life professor (whom I forgot the name of) created these, perhaps he retired or is just waiting for Level-5.
I think it had probably more to do with the fact the sales had kinda slowly declined after the original trilogy (Granted the 3DS had a smaller userbase at the time but still)....

Which I guess is probably all the more reason to have Layton in Smash in order to spark more interest (it did wonders for series like Fire Emblem and Earthbound after all) but at the same time, I think the series could do with some brand new innovative and fresh ideas as they have kinda been reusing some of the same ideas and elements since Curious Village on a yearly basis so things may have gotten a little stale since then.....

Anyway, its great to see new members joining Smashboards and lending their support for Layton in Smash. Welcome and thank you, I'll be sure to add you to the supporters list soon. c:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Working on games for a yearly basis is a bad idea. :T
If I were them, I'd just wait till people are noticeably wanting another installment of the game and get the game in development now once the demand is high.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Working on games for a yearly basis is a bad idea. :T
If I were them, I'd just wait till people are noticeably wanting another installment of the game and get the game in development now once the demand is high.
It could also be due to continues releases like you said yes. I mean look how much people tend to complain about games like Call of Duty or even the New Super Mario Bros games even though those tend to come only once every three years with one game per console.

I don't think the Layton franchise has lowered itself to that level yet as a lot of fans clearly still love it and still want to see more games starring Hershel Layton and Luke Triton. Which I guess is quite impressive although I guess that may be because most fans are more interested in the story rather than the gameplay.....

Eitherway, I think one way to keep the series afloat for those who want more out of their games than just the story is probably to work a bit further on the games, so rather than yearly releases, extend a little more by at least two or three years so people don't feel as overwhelmed or like the series is being milked and try to introduce some brand new ideas. I think the episodes feature in Last Pectre's Call and the Horse Riding minigame in Miracle Mask was a step in the right direction as the former allows you to know more about various other characters than just the main ones and the latter gives you more to do once you want to take a break from puzzle solving or the main story and want to do a few sidequests.

I think the series could do with more things like these in order to apply more interest to it and not feel a little stale. But that's just my opinion.

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
in miracle mask they experimented with that top down view point during the ruins and azran legacies gave a bit more freedom they could branch out to other characters using that sort zelda ish game play just to change it up a bit

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
in miracle mask they experimented with that top down view point during the ruins and azran legacies gave a bit more freedom they could branch out to other characters using that sort zelda ish game play just to change it up a bit
Ah yes, there was that quest in the Akbadain Ruins from Miracle Mask too. I think that game probably did the most with innovative new gameplay ideas since the first game. I think they should do more quests like these where you actually get to play as Layton and get to explore around too. I think the creator mentioned something like wanting to do something like that for the hypothetical next title.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
if they did that along with the extra newspaper quests from azran legacies it could make it pretty great. also was there not meant to be a second layton movie that could help make the prequel story make a bit more sense or was that cancelled?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
if they did that along with the extra newspaper quests from azran legacies it could make it pretty great. also was there not meant to be a second layton movie that could help make the prequel story make a bit more sense or was that cancelled?
Most likely cancelled since it was meant to take place beween the last two games of the prequel trilogy and since they follow along pretty much perfectly and the creator mentioning the end of Layton as the main character, one can only put two and two together....

There was also supposed to be a live action film if I recall correctly, but we heard nothing from that since then either......

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
yeah just bothers me how the 3 sacred places randomly leads to the start of the azran legacies

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I kinda wish they did a bit more with those Azran sights, they kinda made a big deal out of them in Miracle Mask but if I recall correctly, they didn't really play as much of a role in Azran Legacy if at all.... I could be wrong though as I haven't really replayed Azran Legacy again....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
pretty much although the one in specters call was left alone mostly and the one in the movie was destroyed would of also liked some more back story about descole and targent but ow well still an enjoyable story

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe Desmond talked about them very briefly at some point but that's the only instance I remember them bringing them up though....

The story felt a little rushed here and there yes, but overall the game was still good though.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
yeah it did not feel as polished story wise as the original 3 but it might be my favorite of the prequel trilogy

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My favourite will probably always be Unwound/Lost Future as it has more or less everything I would want from the series in one nice package imo. c:

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Unwound Future set such a high standard. XD

I feel the original trilogy is stronger story wise, primarily because each is isolated from the others, save for a few main characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I can review both trilogies, this would probably be my basic opinion on them.

Original Trilogy
+ It did the whole mystery theme better as they explained everything at the end in greater detail, so when you look back you can actually notice all the little details and hints dropped around more clearly and find out that it all made sense on a good degree.
- Most of the screentime was focused solely on Layton and Luke which made other characters like Flora, Don Paolo and "Future Luke" kept getting juggled in and out of the plot. Especially Flora suffered from this the most as she was practically treated as the "third wheel" of the original trilogy. Poor thing was even kicked out of the plot half way through the second game for no real good reason....

Prequel Trilogy
+ It managed to spread out the screentime and character development between all the main characters rather than keeping the focus solely on Layton and Luke. Which is good as it helps us to get to know the other characters better, they even introduced the episode feature which I personally thought was a very good idea.
- They left behind more questions rather than answers. Azran Legacy in particular was notorious in doing this as most of the things that happened there was mainly explained by "It was just Azran Technology" without really trying to bring in a more rational explanation for them. Which came off as giving the impression that the writers didn't really put as much thought into the whole Azran theme they where going with this trilogy.

That's just my opinion in regards to the two trilogies plot wise as I think one trilogy did the storytelling better whereas the other did the character development better. Puzzles are more or less fine between the two trilogies. Sometimes they are too easy or a bit too much of a chore but their generally good for the most part.

All in all, I personally probably still prefer the original trilogy myself though as I really enjoyed the mystery aspect said trilogy brought in and while most of the cast didn't really get as much screentime and character development as I wished they did I still personally enjoyed their company a lot.

I would still like to see a sequel trilogy being done one day and take in the best of both worlds whilst still introducing new idea's and all in my opinion.

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
(Still alive)
I agree that the original trilogy was the best. It did the whole "mystery" thing a lot better and didn't feel like a soap opera. I also think that the prequel trilogy tried too hard for teary endings. They did it well in Lost Future but then they overdid it a bit after that. However, I loved the basic premise of the plots in the 3DS games even if the ending was a little duff - they focused too much on introducing twists, when you replay Azran Legacy you realise that too much was left incredibly vague. Spectre's Call is a low point in the plot department for me, though it was the game with my favourite puzzles overall. Lost Future had the best plot and some brilliant puzzles but Curious Village is an all-time classic in both departments, even if the individual components don't quite match up. Don't get me wrong, I love the prequel trilogy too. I just prefer the original trilogy slightly.

What would I like to see in the future? A sequel trilogy, obviously. I would like a return to individual mysteries, each separate from each other, and proper Holmes-esque plots.

Gameplay wise, the diorama scenes should be kept, but how cool would it be if you could use the circle pad to manipulate the scene? That would give a new lease of life to the tired 2D way of doing it in the past and lend way to a really rich world. It wouldn't quite be Banjo-Kazooie, but it would be a step in that direction. I'd also like the control system used in PL vs PW to move between scenes as it was so much more user friendly.

Puzzle wise, I want to see more "progressive" puzzles like that Ace Attorney puzzle halfway through the crossover (you know, the one with the key where you get to shout "Hold it!") as well as the short brainteasers. These would be multi-step puzzles which you would have to use actual deduction to progress through rather than doing a couple of quick sums. Also, don't try and be clever with the 3D screen. Keep the instructions there, and only use it for select puzzles. The return of puzzle battles would be welcome.

New features I'd like to see is a sort of overworld which you could drive the Laytonmobile through to get between towns. This would kind of work similarly to the perspective of the Mother games - not quite top-down. This wouldn't be integral, more of a fun aside, and you could get a bus for fast travel instead. There could be random events that go on in the overworld ("that roadkill reminds me of a puzzle!") that could work in a puzzle-battle style but these would be optional and would reward in an alternative way, not picarats. These would give the game much-needed longevity, which is a curse of puzzle games. You could also dump the daily puzzles here too.

Plot-wise, we would follow up the letter from Luke at the end of Lost Future (come on Level-5; IT'S KILLING ME). We'd see the return of Flora and possibly Emmy later on. Chelmey and Grosky would be nice but there will more than likely be a new policeman. We'd have a new Stachenscarf type character and of course, the type of cast we're all used to.

I think a lot could be done with this series to keep it fresh without killing the soul of it, if only Level-5 would try it. Getting him in Smash would be a good start to get him back on the map. It worked for Marth...

danbrysmi

Smash Rookie
Just thought...
Is the fighter ballot based on the amount of votes or the best reason why? If it's votes then do we need to spread the word of Layton? There will be many Layton fans that have no idea about this thread. If its the best reason then how will we get them to notice us? There will be reasoning just as good for other characters as well...

Just desperate for him to be in :D

BTW: Converted a friend to vote Layton as well :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just thought...
Is the fighter ballot based on the amount of votes or the best reason why? If it's votes then do we need to spread the word of Layton? There will be many Layton fans that have no idea about this thread. If its the best reason then how will we get them to notice us? There will be reasoning just as good for other characters as well...

Just desperate for him to be in :D

BTW: Converted a friend to vote Layton as well :)
I think a bit of both, the more votes he has, the more likely it is that he gets noticed and considered. However if most of the reasons given for him are just the basic fencing type playstyle. Nintendo might perceive him as a "plain old sword wielder" and brush him aside, so it's also important to give good reasons of why Layton should be in Smash as well as describing him in such a way that sets him apart from the rest of the cast.

That's how I see it at least.

It's always a good idea to get as many fans as possible into this as well. c:

Last edited:

danbrysmi

Smash Rookie
I've just been trying to get a special/final smash to include a puzzle solving type thing. I only came up with a final smash but I don't know if its very good

When smash is used, anyone near Layton freezes, but anyone not frozen can't hurt Layton. The words ' Circle the correct answer' appear at the centre of the screen. The people frozen by Layton get circled, either by Layton or a stylus or something. It then goes to the puzzle results bit, where the screen goes black and Layton appears doing his various poses. He says one of his quotes and it then goes to the correct screen and the frozen people get home-runned off the screen.

Hope you liked it :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hello, I just wanted to say that the moveset that you gave Layton is one of the best I have seen.
I wannted to ask if I can become part of the group?
Thank you, that's very much appreciated. And sure, I'll add you to the supporters list too.

Welcome to Smashboards by the way.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I believe Desmond talked about them very briefly at some point but that's the only instance I remember them bringing them up though....

The story felt a little rushed here and there yes, but overall the game was still good though.
Desmond did mention that he used the three Azran Legacies to find the location of the living mummy in Azran Legacy, and it was the only time they were discussed in the game. Perhaps we gamers are left to assume that the three Azran Legacies helped create a map that would lead into Froenburg. Even Bronev in Miracle Mask said, "And when I'm finished, the power of the Azran shall be ours." He probably meant once he was done excavating the entire Nautilus Chamber, he would find the final piece of the puzzle that would ultimately lead them to the cave in Froenburg (though one could argue Emmy had a part in this as well, but the first point is how I see it). I still remember Azran Legacy really well, so I thought I'd help out.

Considering there was a discussion about the two Layton trilogies only a few posts back, I might as well give my two cents about what I think about each of them. They do contain some spoilers, so I suggest you read this with caution.

For me, I'm actually one of the few that like the prequel trilogy as a whole more than the original trilogy. I will admit Diabolical Box and Unwound Future were definitely memorable/favorite games for me, but I think the reason why I like the prequel trilogy because you could really sense the connection between each game. Sure you can argue the prequel trilogy is essentially one huge game, but what I mean is that each game brought multiple mysteries into the table that made you want to play until the final game to find out the answers.

• With Last Specter, the first mysteries that were offered were "Why was Emmy assigned to be Professor Layton's assistant", "Who is Descole, and what is his relationship with Layton", and "What is the ancient civilization Descole's profile talks about that he is so interested in"
  • Eternal Diva further raises the question "What caused Descole to turn into the villain he is" that Last Specter previously raised because it's in the movie where he is arguably at his angriest and most psychotic, evident when he smashes the piano upon realizing it his plans aren't working, angrily mutters "Why", bursts into evil laughter, then proceeds to use the Detra-Gigant to destroy the island in an attempt to find Ambrosia. With that in mind, you can even think to yourself, "Why is Descole so desperate?"
  • Miracle Mask answers the last question Last Specter raised, revealing the ancient civilization Descole's LS profile was talking about is the Azran, and we learn they were highly advanced in technology and science. Emmy acts a bit suspicious this time around, further highlighting the mystery behind her true motives while working with Professor Layton. Then, however, we are given a new set of mysteries thanks to the introduction of Bronev and Targent. New mysteries raised at this point include "Who is Bronev really, and what is his relationship with Descole and Layton", "What are Bronev's motives for finding the Azran Legacy aside from 'world domination'," "What's going on with Targent," "What the heck was the deal with that special episode where Roland and Lucille Layton discuss about the 'men in black suits' who were asking about Hershel", "Why is Descole desperate to reach the Azran Legacy before everyone else", "Who exactly were the Azran," and "What is the greatest Azran Legacy everyone is after, and how are the three great Azran Legacies connected to it"
  • Azran Legacy did a good job answering all of the mysteries that the past two games and the movie previously raised, and those answers were quite shocking indeed. I agree it did open some new mysteries that led to plot holes (such as what led to Rachel Bronev's death, how did Bronev rise to become Targent's leader, how did Descole and Raymond meet, etc.) but I feel as though the game actually leaves everything right there for you to figure out on your own. For example, the secret episode with Descole and Aurora near the end of the game is supposed to show that Descole IS Desmond and that Targent killed his wife and daughter back then; one can piece this together because he states that their deaths are what turned him into the man he is today, and considering Descole's profile says Desmond "is the man's hope" while Descole "is the man's despair", it makes a lot of sense. Likewise, one could argue that another plot hole raised is, "Who ordered Leon and Rachel's kidnapping in the first place"; this was a point that was discussed in a Youtube video showing the ending of the game, and I remember one commentor mentioned perhaps we are simply left to assume those three men who kidnapped them were the ones who organized the abduction and could've even been the entirety of Targent. Similarly, we may also have the new question, "How exactly was Emmy assigned to be Professor Layton's assistant." We are left to assume Bronev knew about their past and figured out by having Emmy work undercover, they could get the job done more efficiently knowing Layton was an archaeologist who could help solve the Azran mystery with his powerful intellect.
With the original trilogy on the other hand, the only real mystery that we have to learn for ourselves by playing each game is "What is Don Paolo's deal, and what caused him to turn into a villain". One could also argue the other mysteries raised throughout the first games include "How did Layton get his signature hat" and "Why caused Layton to become the true gentleman that he is today" (both of which are answered in Unwound Future), but I feel as though these two questions were more like curious questions rather than huge mystery questions. Of course, other fans will argue that there were more mysteries the first two games raised, but that's just my experience with the original trilogy.

Puzzle-wise, I feel like the two are equal. I don't mind seeing the same puzzles used again. Puzzles are puzzles, and as long as they make you think, I'm OK with that.

In the end, I feel as though I'm of a story guy when it comes to the series, because truth be told, the Layton games easily have some of the best stories out of all games released on Nintendo systems. I'm also a fan of games that raise multiple mysteries over the course of a series filled with suspenseful cliffhangers here and there, hence another aspect the prequel trilogy shined with.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Considering that the original trilogy had separate stories. It makes sense to explain the more important aspects concerning the story in one go. Whereas with the prequels they had a number of questions they could save up for later games since they are more connected. I do agree that they could have probably added a few more things to think about for later games.

Although my issue lies probably more on how they didn't fully explain certain things that where concerned to the current story at hand. Or even going with super natural themes without trying to explain everything that went on with more detail. Azran Legacy in particular had quite a few of these moments.

But that's just my opinion really.

It's nice to have a good civil conversation regarding this topic though since some Layton fans tend to get a little hostile concerning the two trilogies. Calling each other Genwunners/Newgenners and whatnot..... (No I'm not talking about Pokemon....) :/

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I never knew Layton fans actually get into hostile arguments regarding which of the trilogies are better; I guess it's because I don't stumble upon Layton forums that often aside from this one. Learning that though, I'm glad this discussion has been polite in regards to this topic.

Oh wait, I have something to share that I bet a lot of you were waiting to see. Looks I'm going to enter into Professor Layton w/ Smash Bros idea territory once again.

Let's imagine a day in the future where you are watching a Nintendo presentation where they discussing some of their future games/plans like other Directs. Suddenly, Iwata/Sakurai/Reggie states, "We got a big surprise to share with you. Please, take a look."

Here it is ladies and gentleman, my Professor Layton reveal trailer idea that I have long held within my mind. I hope everyone, or at least most supporters, read my bit of information at the Layton Social Group Forum and my Layton moveset and stage ideas on the first page of this forum, because they are key in understanding this trailer.

Like all other Smash Bros reveal trailers, we first see the Smash trailer intro.
The entire trailer, its scenery and characters, minus the gameplay footage, is drawn in the typical art style from the Layton games.

The trailer begins with the camera panning down from the sky to show Big Ben and the Parliament building, complete with average city sounds. Once we see Big Ben come into full view, a huge explosion can be seen going off the top of the clock tower. The next scene reveals what caused the explosion: Fox used Fire Fox on Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch, and the two fighters jump back a considerable force at opposite sides upon absorbing the full weight of the collision. On Captain Falcon's side, we can see Robin and Lucina standing behind, looking battle-ready. Captain Falcon and Fox look at each, with Capt. Falcon having an angry expression while Fox has a mischievous smirk on her face.

We now cut to a shot of Big Ben as seen from the streets below. Numerous London citizens begin to surround the clock tower as they notice the explosion that just happened. We see another change of scene as numerous police cars arrive on the scene. All of the policemen get out and run towards the tower; among the policemen are Inspector Chelmey and Inspector Grosky. Chelmey and Grosky comment upon what they are currently seeing.

Inspector Chelmey: "What in blazes is going on up there?"

Inspector Grosky: "You're asking me? All I know is that there was a large explosion around the balcony.

All that everyone can do is simply watch. All of the witnesses suddenly look up at the sky, as the camera moves up to reveal an Arwing flying over the tower. By the time the Arwing is directly above Big Ben, a shadowed-figure can be seen jumping out of it and landing on the top of the tower. The citizens burst into rampant confusion, beginning to question who that figure was and what's happening up there.

The camera know pans over to the bridge leading to the building Parliament as we see a familiar car driving towards it: it's the Layton-mobile! The camera briefly shows the back seat of the car's inside as we Luke and Flora sitting together and looking outside their respective windows at the Thames River.

We then switch over to Emmy sitting on the front seat and not driving. She notices the situation up ahead and tells the driver to stop (for a Layton fan, it's easy to figure who's driving the vehicle at this point, but everyone else won't know because we don't see the driver at all during this entire scene).

Emmy: "Look, over there!"

We return to a shot of the Layton-mobile from the outside as it stops exactly where the signs stop oncoming drivers. Emmy, Luke, and Flora are shown getting out of the car and walking towards the commotion (as well as the driver, who's arm is the only part that can be seen during this moment). We then see a police man notice the approaching individuals and let's them through because he recognizes them. Emmy, Luke, and Flora (as well as Layton, who is still not shown yet) arrive where the densest part of the crowd is located. They look up and notice more explosions coming from the top of Big Ben, along with news and police helicopters surrounding the clock tower.

Nearby, there are several stores; one of them is a TV shop. The TV shop has all of its TVs change to the news channel as a breaking news story unfolds. The driver of the Layton-mobile (with his head obscured) watches the news as we see a shot from one of the helicopters that shows Fox vs Captain Falcon, Lucina, Robin, and now Falco (who was the figure that previously jumped out of the Arwing). We can hear other people from the crowd asking questions about the situation, as they ask each other who in the world are those people on top of Big Ben. If you listen closely when re-watching the trailer, you can hear the citizens refer to the fighters in funny ways as they discuss the situation (this requires re-watching in order to pay attention to this detail). To name them exactly:

• Fox: “Bidepal, brawling fox"
  • Falco: “Bipedal, talking, pilot-donning falcon"
  • Captain Falcon: “A futuristic racer”
  • Robin: “Some mage with a weird sword”
  • Lucina: "Blue-haired, female swordsman"
The Layton-mobile driver, Emmy, Flora, and Luke look up and suddenly notice all of the police copters getting hit by blaster shots, causing them all to move away from the tower and crash land somewhere else. Flora gasps, while Luke screams when it happens. The only helicopter left is the news-copter, and the driver once again turns to the television and notices Falco firing two Blasters on Fox: One of them hits Fox around his hip as a piece of a familiar cape becomes exposed (and even the trailer camera zooms in on it), while the other blaster hits the news-copter afterward, causing the broadcast to turn off because the helicopter was hit.

The driver gasps in a way that he recognizes something from Fox. He then makes a comment (Layton-fans knows it’s Professor Layton speaking, but for other viewers, they still might not figure it out right away).

?????: “I can’t believe it. So he must be behind this. *Looks over to the bottom of Big Ben* But climbing up the stairs isn’t going to do anything. There must be a faster way I can make it up there so I can stop him from making this worse.

The driver looks around, and he notices a piece of a globe, a long lamp post, and a mat on the front window of a store, along with a medium sized pipe at the doorstep. The sign on the door states, “For free today!” An idea crosses the driver’s mind, and he calls Emmy, Luke, and Flora.

?????: “Of course! Luke, Emmy, Flora! I need your help!”

The trailer now returns to the battle between Fox and Falco, Captain Falcon, Robin, & Lucina. We see the same scene like the one that was shown on the TV broadcast. Falco fires two blasters, one of them hits Fox in the hip and the other hits the news-copter that goes down shortly after. Falco notices a piece of a cape being exposed at Fox's hip. He realizes Fox isn't the one he knows; this Fox is apparently disguised, so he orders Fox to reveal himself.

Falco: "You're not the Fox I know. I could even tell by your demeanor something was off about you, and now I can see that you're just someone disguising as my best friend. Reveal yourself!"

Fox's previously mischievous smile then turns into an evil smile. He then grabs a funny shaped hat (a.k.a. Descole's hat) and puts it on his head. He begins to laugh with his mouth closed as he does so. Once the hat passes over his face, Fox's head and body have now completely changed to a masked man wearing a suit and a cape. It's Jean Descole, Professor Layton's original arch-nemesis! The laugh also transitions from Fox's voice to Descole's voice as the hat is put on. Once Descole puts on his hat, he swishes his cape and turns around (think of the cutscenes in Last Specter and Miracle Mask that show how he reveals himself, because this scene is supposed to mirror those exact scenes). His cape floats with the breeze upon turning around, and his splash card now comes into view.

Descole
Deceives the Competition!

At that moment, Descole's theme (the live version) begins to play (song below).

The camera now switches over to Falco, Capt. Falcon, Robin, and Lucina. Falco questions him who he is. Descole replies that's not important, and that all he cares about is taking out the other fighters.

Falco: "Who are you?"

Descole: "That's not important! What matters is for me to-"

Descole's words are interrupted with Captain Falcon suddenly charging towards him. As he does so, Captain Falcon screams with rage that sounds exactly like the yell he makes when you pick him in Super Smash Bros Brawl (which can only be heard if you are playing with the Wiimote). As he lunges forward using Falcon Dive, Descole side-steps to avoid the attack, causing Captain Falcon to miss. Descole then kicks Captain Falcon's back (in a way that looks like Descole is doing his second jab), pushing Capt. Falcon off the ledge and forcing him to plummet to the ground. As Captain Falcon plummets to the ground, you can hear his star KO scream.

Descole turns around with a villainous smile on his face, and Falco watches him. Falco becomes very angry and comments about Descole's nature.

Falco: "I can't believe you are that cruel! *Falco begins his attack* I've got no choice but to take you out myself!"

Falco begins his attack by jumping high into the air and fires multiple blasters at him (looks very similar to a scene in the Subspace Emissary where Falco does something similar). Descole throws a white-shaped ball (the sleep bomb) at the incoming blasters, negating all of them and creating smoke from the collision. He then jumps very high into the air. Falco prepares to land, but he looks up and notices Descole directly above him. Descole throws another sleep bomb at Falco. It hits him, causing Falco to become drowsy. By the time Falco lands on the ground, he is already asleep. Descole then falls down at a very fast pace and pulls out a robotic arm that looks the smaller arm from his Mecha Specter. He uses it to grab Falco and then throws him off the stage (Falco is awaken the moment he is grabbed, and as he is thrown off the stage, you can hear his star KO scream).

We now see Robin and Lucina watching the battle with shocked expressions. Robin’s face changes into one with determination and turns to Lucina, telling her that he will take of Descole.

Robin: “Stay here Lucina. I’ll take care of this.”

Robin uses Elwind to quickly catch up to Descole. He then uses his back aerial attack, using his Levin Sword, in an attempt to hit Descole, but Descole pulls out the Azran Keystone to destroy Robin's Levin Sword with a single blast. Robin watches with surprise, and then Descole uses a mechanical rope (the same one that he uses in the first Japanese trailer for Miracle Mask from a cutscene that didn't appear in the final version of the game) to grab Robin's Tome, yank it out of his hand, and throw it off the stage.

Now without any weapons at stock, Robin can only watch with worry. Descole then uses the Azran Keystone to blast Robin off the stage. Like with Captain Falcon and Fox, you can hear Robin's star KO scream upon getting launched, except this time, Robin is launched into the sky instead of falling off the stage. Descole then faces at Lucina's direction and evilly chuckles with a villainous smile.

At 0:16 of Descole's theme, we start to see gameplay footage of Descole. We first see his entrance animation as he jumps off his miniature plane piloted by his butler, Raymond. He makes an opening comment as we see this unfold.

Descole: "My, my, you all look quite amusing. I’m going to have so much fun here!"

At 0:21 of Descole's theme, we begin to see him take out other fighters as we are now introduced to his moveset, as well as some humorous footage here and there. At 1:01 of Descole's theme, we start to see Descole's special moveset; we first see Robotic Pound, then Acrobatic Assault, then Eagle Wings, and then the Sleep Bomb. Before revealing his special moveset, he brings up another comment.

Descole: “Now you will witness my true glory!"

At 1:09 of the same theme, we see him use his Final Smash: the Mecha Specter.

Descole: "I'll have my fun by destroying every single one of you!"

We see all the uses of the mechanized destroyer: first it's destructive jumps, then its use of the bigger arm to crush fighters, then the bigger arm throwing a piece of concrete at the fighters, then the use of its smaller arm to throw fighters a good distance, and finally Descole hopping out of the Specter in a graceful fashion to end the Final Smash. Each footage of the Specter's uses is shown briefly (as in one second each).

At 1:16 of Descole's theme, we return to where the battle left off, returning back to the Layton art style. Lucina watches Descole with disbelief, shocked that he was able to take out Robin with incredible ease. The camera now begins to zoom in on her as we hear Naga's voice telling her, "Witness the true culprit behind your father's injury."

At 1:21 of Descole's theme, we see a series of brief clips, revealing a shocking plot twist: Descole was responsible for injuring Chrom back in Robin's reveal trailer! We see what really happened leading up to the fight b/w Captain Falcon and Lucina through a brief series of clips that are shown in a way like the puzzle scenes from the Professor Layton movie with the only difference being that Lucina is in a shocked stance (with a surprised expression as well) instead of a thinking stance.

• The first clip shows Descole negotiating with Captain Falcon, but behind Descole, one can see the Blue Falcon. Above the vehicle is the larger arm of the Mecha Specter that is ready to smash the Blue Falcon into smithereens.
  • The next clip shows Descole jumping down from a hole in the ceiling and ambushing Chrom, who has just looked up upon hearing a noise and sees Descole. Descole performs a sudden kick that hits Chrom in the gut (partial reference to his side special)
  • The following clip shows Chrom lying on the ground, belly first, as Descole kicks the top of his right arm and menacingly laughs
  • The next clip shows Lucina noticing the situation and quickly runs up to her father. Descole appears shadowed during this clip, and when Lucina starts to run, Descole performs an incredibly high jump that is boosted with a set of eagle wings (referencing his up special).
  • The following clip shows Captain Falcon looking down from the hole with a worried expression on his face. He then briefly looks at the Blue Falcon when Descole suddenly jumps out of the hold and gives the signal to Capt. Falcon to do his part.
  • The final clip show Captain Falcon kicking into the ground, causing Lucina to fall back and a large explosion to follow, which is how Robin's reveal trailer starts.
When watching this trailer for the first time, it is hard to follow all of the clips at once because of the way they are shown. It takes some re-watching from the viewer to put the story together based on the clips shown. Basically, this is the story it is trying to tell. Descole blackmails Captain Falcon to jump in and ambush Lucina when she enters in or else Descole will destroy the Blue Falcon with his Mecha Specter. Descole then jumps in and attacks Chrom inside the arena, and Lucina notices the situation in the distance and runs up to him, but Descole escaped upon seeing her and gave Captain Falcon the signal to do his part, which then lead to the events in the Fire Emblem reveal trailer. Simply put, Descole wanted to put the blame on the incident on someone else: in this case, Captain Falcon.

At 1:24 of Descole's theme, the clips stop and Lucina speaks out as Descole responds back with some anger-inducing words.

Lucina: "You...You're the man who tried to kill my father!"

Descole: "Oh, that prince was your father? I had to dispose of such a weak and naive man to crush his dreams!"

At 1:32 of Descole's theme, Lucina's face turns into deeper shock, as the screen fades to transition back to the situation on the ground with the unnamed driver (whose head is still obscured, even though Layton fans can tell it’s Professor Layton), Emmy, Flora, and Luke (Descole's theme fades out for a few seconds at the 1:35 mark of the song piece. We see them finish building the flying contraption from Curious Village using the materials from the store. The unnamed driver and Luke then engage in a conversation.

?????: "That should do it."

Luke: "Awesome! Let me tag along!"

?????: "No, Luke. What lies ahead is incredibly dangerous. I don't want you getting involved for your own safety"

Luke: "But-"

The unnamed driver crouches down and puts his hands on Luke's shoulders.

?????: "Listen to me, Luke. A true gentleman always complies with another's needs if it has good intentions."

Luke: "You don't understand. I really want to help!"

?????: "Luke!"

Luke pauses, thinks for a bit, and then speaks.

Luke: “Alright, you have a point. Best of luck out there!"

We then see the unnamed driver hoping onto the flying contraption and fly up, circling around Big Ben as he gains height. Upon beginning the flight, Emmy and Flora wish him the best of luck (Inspectors Chelmey and Grosky can be seen behind them with hopeful faces as the unnamed driver takes off) .

Emmy: "You got this!"

Flora: "Please be okay!"

We then return to the situation with Lucina and Descole. Descole's theme starts playing again at the 1:35 mark of the song piece, and we see Lucina's surprised face turn into a face of complete rage. She charges toward Descole with an angry yell, and Descole draws out his sword. At 1:40, of Descole's theme, Lucina and Descole's swords clash (and Lucina has a shocked expression on her face at that moment because she hasn't seen Descole fight with a sword before), beginning their sword duel. It's pretty fierce, on par with Layton vs Anton from Diabolical Box and Layton vs Descole from Eternal Diva to be exact.

At 1:48 of Descole's theme, we have an overview shot of the top of of Big Ben (with the entire clock visible). At 1:50 of the theme, the camera zooms in just a little bit, and it zooms even further at 1:52 of the theme to the point you can start to see Lucina and Descole more clearly. The camera zooms in again at 1:54 of Descole's theme, showing an even closer look at the battle from above then the three past shots (to better visualize this moment from the trailer, think of that moment during Layton and Anton's battle cutscene in Diabolical Box when the camera starts to pan out and show the entire main room of the castle. This scene from the reveal trailer is supposed to be similar to that, except instead of panning out starting from the battle it zooms in starting from the overview of the battlefield.

At 1:56 of Descole's theme, we return to a normal view of the sword duel taking place. At 2:00 of the theme, Descole defends himself from Lucina's attack by stopping her sword with his own, as he speaks another anger-inducing sentence for the audience.

Descole: "It's just like what they say: like father, like daughter!"

Once Descole finishes his quote, now at 2:04 of Descole's theme, he pushes Lucina back with incredible force using his sword to the point she starts tumbling onto the ground. She stops tumbling right at the ledge of the tower and looks up at Descole, who is now approaching her while laughing menacingly.

At 2:12 of Descole's theme, we see the flying contraption emerge from one side of the tower as it completes its final circle by the time it reaches the top (and it does so pretty fast). The camera shows the flying contraption from a higher point of view as it then looks up at the sky once the flying contraption passes by. The unnamed driver is still piloting it, and the camera still shows the flying contraption in a way that it doesn't show who exactly is piloting it.

At 2:14 of Descole's theme, we see Lucina sitting and looking at Descole with fear and anguish, knowing she can't do much else now that she's been hurt. Lucina is even on the verge of crying, but suddenly, the flying contraption, appearing as a shadow, flies up from below Lucina to the point it can be seen above her.

We then see the two hands of the unnamed driver dislodge the pipe directly underneath the mat. The next scene shows Descole looking up as the camera zooms in, like it's from the unnamed driver's perspective upon releasing himself from the custom glider. Descole throws a smoke bomb at the unnamed driver, but he deflects it with the pipe (using it as if it were a sword) at 2:15 of Descole's theme. The smoke bomb bounces up upon landing on the ground, and it releases tons of smoke. Descole covers his eyes, but at 2:17 of the theme, the unnamed driver performs a forward lunge with his pipe,causing Descole to block it with his sword (while having to lower his other arm previously over his face). The unnamed driver immediately brushes off the sword by forcefully swishing his pipe to the side; the forceful movement is so strong that it causes Descole's mask to fly away with the wind (the camera doesn't show Descole's eyes the moment it happens, and we see the mask fly away as if it were paper).

The next scene shows the smoke clearing from the unnamed driver's perspective; Descole can be seen looking downward. The camera then shows his head up close as he raises it (this is the first time we see his eyes with his costume persona) and looks directly at the person in front of him and angrily says the driver's name. At this point, the driver is revealed to be Professor Layton!

Descole: "Professor... *camera now switches perspectives to show Professor Layton, keeping his head down while holding his hat by its brim and standing in front of Descole*… LAAAAAAAAYYYYTOOOOOON!”

The camera hones in as Layton now raises his head, revealing his face to the audience. He then speaks out against Descole.

Professor Layton: "Pardon me for the intrusion, but I won't let you do this, Descole!"

Professor Layton lowers his left hand from his hat as he speaks the first part of his sentence, throws the pipe from his right hand to his left hand, and then does his signature point as he speaks the second part of the sentence. Upon finishing the point and his quote, Layton's splash card comes into view!

Professor Layton
Solves the Puzzle!

Immediately following his splash card, the main theme of Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (the normal version, not the live one) starts playing (song below).

Initiating another sword fight, Descole rushes toward Professor Layton with an angry yell (you can also see the rage in Descole's eyes). Quickly throwing the pipe back to his right hand, Layton defends himself with the pipe, and the two proceed to a very heated fencing duel reminiscent to their past fights in Eternal Diva and Azran Legacy. At 0:08 of the Diabolical Box theme, we see brief clips appearing behind Layton that show all of his sword/fencing duels from the past: the first is from the 6th cutscene of Miracle Mask where teen Layton and teen Randall fence together, the second clip shows teen Layton fighting the mummies as a teen in Miracle Mask, then a brief clip of his first duel with Descole in Eternal Diva, then a short clip of their second fencing duel in Azran Legacy, and the last brief clip showing Layton vs Anton from Diabolical Box. The way how each of these clips are presented once again mirrors the puzzle scenes from Eternal Diva; the difference here is that Layton is not in a thinking pose but rather a studying one.

The flashback clip montage stops at 0:12 of the Diabolical Box theme, and Layton lunges forward with three diagonal swipes, all of which Descole blocks. But on that third swipe, however, Layton manages to move his pipe in a circle, causing Descole's sword to be brushed to the side (while Descole is still holding it) and creating an open spot. Professor Layton then lunges forward with his pipe in a fencing fashion, striking Descole in the gut and causing him to fall and hold his stomach.

At 0:20 of the Diabolical Box theme, Professor Layton approaches Lucina and helps her get up. She and Layton talk to each other for a bit.

Lucina: "Thank you for saving my life, kind sir!"

Professor Layton: "No need to thank me miss. Helping a lady like you *camera zooms in a bit on his face as he adjusts his hat* is the duty of every gentleman!"

Lucina reacts with surprise upon hearing Layton's statement. The two continue talking.

Lucina: "...A gentleman? Shouldn't you not concern yourself with fighting?"

Professor Layton: "Ah, you see, a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved, and sometimes, that answer might just be brute force."

At 0:40 of the Diabolical Box theme, We begin to see gameplay footage of Professor Layton. We first see his entrance animation as he gets out of the Layton mobile. Emmy can be seen in the driver's seat as she gives a thumbs up to the Professor, while Luke and Flora can be seen on the back seat watching him. Professor Layton bows his hat to them in a gentleman's fashion, then turns to the fighters. At 0:44 of the theme, the camera shows Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Ryu standing next to each other and watching Layton in the Bridge of Eldin stage. The camera pans over to Layton and zooms in as he adjusts his hat upon making a comment about them and finishes his line (at 0:47 of the Diabolical Box theme) when he comes into view.

Professor Layton: "I am not surprised to see there are more fighters gathered for this occasion, but a battle is a battle, so I must give it my all."

At 0:50 of the Diabolical Box theme, we begin seeing Professor Layton's move set, focusing on some of his aerials, throws, general attacks, and combos. At 0:55 of the Diabolical Box theme, Layton makes another comment.

Professor Layton: "There's a lot more to my fighting style than you think. Allow me to demonstrate what else I have learned over the course of my adventures."

At 1:00 of the Diabolical Box theme, we are introduced to Professor Layton's special moveset. We first see the Coin-Slot Machine Gun, then the Hamster Attack, then the Custom Glider, and then the Stone Catapult. At 1:08 of the Diabolical Box theme, we see Professor Layton using each of his smash attacks, along with a few taunts and a few other moves not shown previously.

At 1:18 of the Diabolical Box theme, we see Professor Layton's 3DS stage: London. We first see a panoramic shot of the stage, followed with footage of 4 fighters, Professor Layton among them, fighting on top of Big Ben. We then see some more footage of Professor Layton's moveset & taunts, as well as footage of Kirby copying Layton's ability. At 1:28 of the Diabolical Box theme, we see a panoramic shot of Professor Layton's WiiU stage: the Azran Sanctuary. Again, the following footage shows four fighters, Layton among them yet again, fighting on the stage, then two other scenes that show the hazards on the stage attacking the fighters thanks to Layton baiting them into it, and then some funny footage of Layton's moveset.

At 1:38 of the Diabolical Box theme, we see Professor Layton use his Final Smash: Battle Puzzle.

Professor Layton: "Here's my answer. *Layton does his puzzle solving animation from Miracle Mask which then leads to his correct animation as it KOs the chosen fighter.*

At 1:43 of the Diabolical Box theme, we are now nearing the end of the gameplay footage. It ends with Professor Layton standing on Final Destination and looking up as we see Master Hand and Crazy Hand. During this, Professor Layton leaves a finishing comment as the camera now shows his face looking up at the two, giant hands.

Professor Layton: "Seems like I only solved part of the puzzle. The grand mystery of this tournament will only be solved battle. Perhaps it was the puzzle meant only for me."

At 1:48 of the Diabolical Box theme, the music abruptly ends as we end with the Smash Bros title just like the other reveal trailers.

The trailer returns to the Layton art style; we return to where we left of with Professor Layton, Lucina, and Descole. The first thing that can be seen is Descole's hat, tie, and cape discarded to the side. The next footage shows Descole now appearing as his true self, Desmond Sycamore, getting up from the ground and putting on his glasses. He looks up and notices Professor Layton reaching out to him. Layton has a smile on his face, and we see a surprised reaction on Desmond's face as he reaches for Layton's hand and is helped up. He apologizes to Layton, and Layton forgives him.

Desmond: I sincerely apologize for my actions, Layton. My emotions got the best of me at the time.

Professor Layton: "There's no need to apologize. A true gentleman always forgives his enemy, no matter what he or she has done."

Lucina watches the conversation from a distance. Lucina is surprised again, but then she smiles. Suddenly, a loud, familiar, angry voice is heard, and she turns toward the direction of the voice.

?????: "Why wasn't I invited to this Smash Bros tournament?"

Professor Layton and Desmond Sycamore also hear the voice and suddenly turn towards its direction. A familiar helicopter can be seen in the distance, and the camera zooms in to reveal the figure that is piloting the copter. It's Don Paolo, and he has an evil smile on his face.

Desmond Sycamore turns to Professor Layton and asks him who that man is. Professor Layton grabs his pipe and tells Desmond that it's a familiar enemy. Lucina joins in and tells the two she'll help them

Desmond: "Layton, do you know this man?"

Professor Layton: "Of course! He and I have an interesting history together to say the least."

Lucina: "Professor Layton, let me help. I'm feeling better now."

Professor Layton: "Very well. The more help we can get, the better."

The camera returns to Don Paolo as he now releases his chain ball from his copter.

Don Paolo: "I'll crush you right out of the sky!"

The camera focuses on Don Paolo similar to that cutscene in Curious Village when he goes after Layton. The final clip shows Professor Layton, Desmond, and Lucina getting ready to fight Don Paolo as his copter gets closer with his chain ball. Don Paolo speaks again while the camera hones in one Layton's face as his expression turns fierce, ready for action.

Don Paolo: "Ready or not, here I come!"

The trailer finally ends with the typical ending screen.

Additional Notes:
  • I decided to pick the live version of Descole’s Theme and the normal version of the Diabolical Box theme because I though they sounded the most “battle-entincing” when compared to their normal/live counterparts.
  • Descole wanted Captain Falcon's help because he was aware of his great strength. Why does he want to transfer the blame on him in the first place? Simply put, he thought he'd be easy to manipulate.
  • The point of the last bit with Don Paolo is supposed to hint at his inclusion as an Assist Trophy.
  • You might be thinking, "Good lord, this trailer would take up half of Nintendo's presentation." Truth be told, however, this trailer is not as long as you think it is. In fact, it actually lasts roughly 6 minutes. You probably had the impression this was going to be a 20 minute long trailer because it was a very long post, but that's because I was detailing everything you would be seeing and hearing during the trailer so that it actually felt you were watching the trailer first hand.
  • The next comment you'll probably make is, "But 6 minutes is still to long for a reveal trailer." That's true, but when you think about what's really going on, it is a reasonable length. Three minutes focus on the events leading up to Descole's reveal and his gameplay footage, while the remaining half of the trailer focus on everything leading up to Professor Layton's reveal, the gameplay footage showing his moveset, and the final bit with Don Paolo (essentially, it’s two trailer combined into one). With past reveal trailers that revealed two newcomers in one trailer (Palutena and Robin's), the reason why the other new fighter received little to no gameplay footage was because they are clones; would anyone be interested in watching if they noticed the fighter was a clone. No, they wouldn't. They already know what to expect from the fighter if it's a clone. Descole, on the other hand, is crafted to be a totally unique fighter and not just a clone of Professor Layton. Being a unique fighter, he deserves to have as much spotlight as the non-clone fighters. In case you bring up the point three minutes is still too long for a trailer, Palutena’s reveal trailer was roughly 3 minutes long as well.
  • You might be also be thinking this trailer might look rather complex. That's because I like reveal trailers that at full of action and suspense, hence why you are seeing this kind of reveal trailer idea. I also wanted to mimic something out of a cutscene from the Professor Layton games. Even then, i will admit this isn’t the perfect reveal trailer idea nor will it end up being the actual trailer, but I still wanted to throw out a an idea for a trailer nonetheless. I will even admit a small part of me still wishes this kind of reveal trailer were to happen.

NOTE: The spoiler tag doesn't seem to be working properly for some reason even though I input the correct code. For now, I'll say this: The first spoiler tag has the first sentence to my trailer, while the rest of the trailer can be found within the second spoiler tag. Simply put, open up both spoiler tags to watch the complete experience.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
I like most of the layton games equally and i really like some parts of the prequel trilogy such as the tense specter story in specters call and the freedom in azran legacies. Also on the slight topic of pokemon i was thinking about making a professor layton team my ideas so far are furfrou as layton and Zoroark as descole , my other idea is lapras as loosha the Dino thing any other ideas for the rest.

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
That's absolutely beautiful. I remember doing something like that on Miiverse when the ballot was announced to try and get support for Layton. But apparently people can't recognise just how great it would be for this to actually be a thing. Shame... it's too adorable.
Also, Erureido, that trailer idea is equally beautiful. I don't know why I didn't set mine in London as well, actually - that would have made a bit more sense! I like how you got Descole in there as well. Anyone watching that would just be sitting there for ages thinking "who the hell are these people" and we can all sit back with a cup of tea and a big grin. Well, you all can. I'd probably be dancing and screaming.

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
I found a thing: http://smashbrosbattleroyale.wikia.com/wiki/Professor_Layton#Moveset
What do you make of this idea for Layton guys? How well would this set and it's properties translate to Smash 4? He seems to have a vibe of the Mega Man to me. I love the idea of the down special here. I don't know if anyone actually made this game or if it's just a concept, but if it's tangible that's good to know Layton is at least feasibly functional (if there was any doubt for some reason).

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
its just a concept they were never going to make the game. Some of the moves like the down special seem perfect for layton but there was a strong emphases on punching and swords that i think layton should not have. Also a true gentleman would never toss his hat as a weapon

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I think a bit of both, the more votes he has, the more likely it is that he gets noticed and considered. However if most of the reasons given for him are just the basic fencing type playstyle. Nintendo might perceive him as a "plain old sword wielder" and brush him aside, so it's also important to give good reasons of why Layton should be in Smash as well as describing him in such a way that sets him apart from the rest of the cast.

That's how I see it at least.

It's always a good idea to get as many fans as possible into this as well. c:
On this topic, I hate how so many people brush Layton off as just a fencing character. Layton has a myriad of gadgets, gizmos, and tricks to use to outsmart and subdue his foes in a charming and graceful manner. He could use animals, a robot dog, laser goggles, a coin shooting machine gun, cameras, gliders for recovering, a plucky aprentice who could bite the heels of those who hurt the professah, and even *sigh* his sword. I could see Layton being a very interesting character who uses many different items to take down opponents.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
That's absolutely beautiful. I remember doing something like that on Miiverse when the ballot was announced to try and get support for Layton. But apparently people can't recognise just how great it would be for this to actually be a thing. Shame... it's too adorable.
Also, Erureido, that trailer idea is equally beautiful. I don't know why I didn't set mine in London as well, actually - that would have made a bit more sense! I like how you got Descole in there as well. Anyone watching that would just be sitting there for ages thinking "who the hell are these people" and we can all sit back with a cup of tea and a big grin. Well, you all can. I'd probably be dancing and screaming.
Thank you for kind words, Laytonite! It means a lot! I'm glad you enjoyed my trailer idea! And yeah, I'd be one of those people who would be dancing and screaming when watching Layton's reveal trailer.

I like most of the layton games equally and i really like some parts of the prequel trilogy such as the tense specter story in specters call and the freedom in azran legacies. Also on the slight topic of pokemon i was thinking about making a professor layton team my ideas so far are furfrou as layton and Zoroark as descole , my other idea is lapras as loosha the Dino thing any other ideas for the rest.
Here's some ideas for creating a Pokemon team based around Layton characters that I came up with over the past few days. I think this will help you get started.

• Furfrou = Professor Layton (makes a lot of sense)
  • Zoroark/Roserade = Descole (Zoroark definitely makes sense when it comes disguises, though I think Roserade works very well too because it wears a mask and has a cape, very much like Descole; in fact, I named my Roserade "Descole" in my play through of OR)
  • Lopunny = Emmy Altava (both are female fighters who can kick very well)
  • Lapras = Loosha (makes a lot of sense as well)
  • Gardevoir/Gothitelle/Meloetta = Aurora (all are girls capable of psychic powers and have long dresses, though Meloetta looks a lot more like Aurora in terms of design and nature compared to Gardevoir and Gothitelle)
  • Bisharp = Bronev (Both are very dark-natured and Bronev will pursue the Azran tirelessly much like how Bishop will pursue its prey tirelessly, not to mention both act as leaders in some sort of way)
  • Throh = Inspector Chelmey (OK, we never seen Chelmey fight, but both him and Throh have similar appearances, not to mention the next suggestion makes a lot of sense when you think about how one is similar to another)
  • Sawk = Inspector Grosky (Both utilize a karate style of fighting, and as Throh is similar to Sawk because of design, Chelmey and Grosky share the similarities of both being inspectors for Scotland Yard)
  • Lilligant = Flora (Similar nature and elegant designs)
  • Krookodile = Don Paolo (both sort of have the Dark yet funny looking bad guy feel to them
  • Mega Gallade = Anton (both have a degree of elegance, wear capes, and fight with sword-based attacks, not to mention you could have Gardevoir represent Sophia as well due to similar designs)
  • Floette = Claire (both are sweet-natured and have tragic deaths, if you were to consider what happens to AZ's Floette which will eventually be released in a future event)
  • Keldeo = Luke (both have a story of growth and development where they become much more strong-willed; I'm basing off this knowledge from the 12th Pokemon movie and the events in Last Specter)
  • Marowak = Clive (Cubone was devastated with its mother's death, similar to how Clive was devastated with his parent's death. Marowak represents a stronger will to avenge its deceased mother, much like Clive did in Unwound Future)

And now to change the subject.

I have finished a project that I promised I would take care of several months back. It took me a while, but I have successfully managed to create trophy descriptions for a huge variety of Professor Layton characters and stage elements. You can read them all in the spoilers tag below. There are 80 total, and be warned that some of them contain spoilers from the series.

All of the trophy descriptions are my attempt at mimicking the style of trophy descriptions used in Smash 4: that is, some are straight up informative while many others try to create a humorous, entertaining, or interesting spin to the explanations. Note that my descriptions for Layton, Descole, the London elements, and the Azran Sanctuary elements are based around my ideas I previously offered when it came to Layton and Smash Bros. Another thing to note is that the release dates provided for each game where the character/stage element debuted is based around the US release date.

Unfortunately, it looks we won't be getting a large collection of Layton trophies if Layton joins the roster as DLC, judging by the trophy treatment they did with Ryu where the only Street Fighter trophy we got was a Ken trophy. Nonetheless, I still thought I'd share my ideas, as I'm sure this is how their trophy descriptions would look if they really were in Smash Bros. Sit back and enjoy some entertaining trophy descriptions!

Professor Layton Trophy List (80):

Professor Layton
An archaeology professor at London’s Gressenheller University, Professor Hershel Layton is famous for his puzzle-solving skills, gentleman qualities, and surprising fencing prowess. These traits have allowed him to solve countless mysteries. In Smash Bros, he’s always a step ahead of his opponents thanks to his powerful intellect.

Appears in:
-Professor Layton and the Curious Village (02/2008)
-Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (02/2014)

Professor Layton (Alt.)
Despite being known as a true gentleman, Professor Layton is no pushover. In addition to his fencing skills, Layton has a variety of tools up his sleeve, or rather, his mind. His normal special lets him use the Coin-Slot Machine Gun to fire a barrage of damaging coins at his opponents, while his throws involve puzzles he solved in the past.

Appears in:

Battle Puzzle
Professor Layton puts all knowledge to the test in his Final Smash. Depending on how many fighters are present during battle, a puzzle will appear relating to their moves. Pick the right answer and it’s a one-hit KO on the right fighter, but get the puzzle wrong and nothing happens. It’s a move that surely puts your mind into the battle.

Descole
Professor Layton’s original archnemesis, Jean Descole is a cold-hearted, manipulative scientist and archeologist. His only purpose in life is to beat Targent and Layton to the Azran legacy. He’s also a very capable brawler and sword fighter, and he demonstrates exactly that in Smash Bros combined with agile movements.

Appears in:
-Professor Layton and the Last Specter (10/2011)

Descole (Alt.)
Compared to Professor Layton, Descole is a true fighter. He can fight with fists, kicks, and a sword, but he also has a variety of tools prepared. He will use a winged contraption to give him eagle wings for short recovery time via his up special. He can even throw sleep bombs at his opponents for his down special. You better be ready, Layton!

Appears in:

Desmond
Descole’s true identity is none other than Professor Desmond Sycamore, a London archeologist and expert on Azran research. Despite carrying a calm demeanor compared to his alter ego, he still has a visible hatred for Targent. He rarely assumes his true self either; he recently used it to manipulate Professor Layton to travel the world with him.

Appears in:

Mecha Specter
In the Last Specter, Descole used this machine to search for the Golden Garden in Misthallery. When Layton revealed the truth, Descole attempted to destroy the town using it. In battle, the Mecha Specter can catch and throw opponents at a great distance, hurl stones from the ground, and crush fighters after a high jump.

Luke Triton
Professor Layton’s self-proclaimed apprentice who has travelled with him in all of his adventures. He strives to be a true gentleman and expert puzzle solver just like the professor. He also has the ability to talk to animals. With such a unique gift, he could be a very capable Pokemon trainer… I’m thinking too much, aren’t I?

Appears in:
-Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney (08/2014)

Emmy Altava
Emmy is Professor Layton’s assistant during the prequel trilogy of the Layton series. She takes pictures of practically anything she sees. She is also a very strong and agile fighter, a trait that has helped Layton and Scotland Yard on several occasions. Don’t you think she could prove herself well in Smash Bros one day?

Appears in:

Flora Reinhold
Flora is Layton’s adoptive daughter, or at least close to becoming one. She is very fond of the professor and Luke and gets upset when she is left out, even if Layton tells her to for her own safety. She’ll find ways to join the two on their adventures regardless, but her sweet and curious personality often leads her into trouble.

Appears in:
-Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (09/2010)

Inspector Chelmey
A prominent inspector for Scotland Yard who is feared by all of London's criminals for his harsh and stubborn nature. He is a great analytical thinker... but he often jumps into conclusions too quickly. This usually leads to Layton doing a better job at solving cases than Chelmey, even though he claim he enjoys Layton’s presence.

Appears in:

Constable Barton
Inspector Chelmey’s assistant, Barton is seen with him in every case they are called into. Though he may look very loyal to both the investigation and Chelmey (especially since Barton often uses common sense to best Chelmey’s claims), Barton isn’t as perfect as he seems: he sleeps on the job and overeats to name a few.

Appears in:

Don Paolo
That funny mustache and hair certainly makes you suspiciously look at him, and you are on the right track! Don Paolo is Layton’s self-proclaimed arch-nemesis, always plotting evil schemes to take him down. Combine that with being a master of disguise and science and you have a man that lives up to the title of a villainous rival.

Appears in

Inspector Grosky
This spunky, hot-blooded, and athletic inspector of Scotland Yard is one that is rather different from an average one you’d expect. Grosky tackles all cases head-on no matter the situation… though he usually needs Professor Layton’s help with solving cases or Emmy’s fighting abilities when he is in the utmost danger.

Appears in:

Leonard Bloom:
Don’t be fooled by his title as Detective Inspector of Scotland Yard. Bloom actually works undercover for Targent. He uses his position in Scotland Yard to steal Azran artifacts from museums and cover it up so that the public doesn’t learn the truth. However, Layton uncovered his secret, and Bloom faced the consequences.

Appears in:
-Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (10/2012)

Leon Bronev:
Standing as Targent’s leader, Bronev's only goal is to find the Azran legacy for personal satisfaction. He is bossy and cruel towards his underlings with this purpose in mind. -SPOILER ALERT- Bronev is also Professor Layton and Descole’s true father, and he thus knows their actual relationship from the start unlike us gamers.

Appears in:

Targent Officers
These four men are part of a large corrupted, military organization known as Targent. This organization seeks to find the Azran legacy for their leader’s personal desires, and their officers can resort to violence to achieve it. Much of the organization actually consists of archaeologists who were blackmailed into joining it in the first place.

Appears in:

Hanna
If you find someone who was wherever you happened to be out of mad love, you’d feel creeped out about it, wouldn’t you? Well, that’s exactly the case with Hanna and her obsession for Inspector Grosky. She’s always present at the scene of a crime he’s at. I really wonder how she’d react if she learned Grosky has a wife.

Appears in:

Raymond
Descole’s faithful butler who has been with him through thick and thin. From the day Targent murdered Descole’s wife and daughter to all of Descole’s villainous acts, he’s seen it all. He always helps his master out and has even saved him on multiple occasions. In Smash Bros, Raymond can be seen dropping Descole off on his personal plane.

Appears in:
-Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (02/2014).

Roland and Lucille Layton
You’d be surprised to learn that the two have looked like this for over 30 years. Roland and Lucille are Professor Layton’s adoptive parents who he has grown up with throughout most of his life. In fact, Lucille’s kindness and Roland’s wisdom have turned Layton into the true gentleman he is today.

Appears in:

Granny Riddleton
Professor Layton and his crew will solve so many puzzles during their adventures that they might miss a few on the way. Luckily, Granny Riddleton is there to help with exactly that. You can find her at a location you will return to during Layton’s adventures so that you can solve all the puzzles by a game’s end.

Appears in:

Keats
Sometimes, Granny Riddleton might be too busy with storing the left-behind puzzles during Layton’s adventures so she needs someone to take her place. One of these substitutes is her beloved cat, Keats. Layton, to even his own surprise, can use him in Smash Bros for his back aerial attack, where Keats scratches the opponent.

Appears in:

Lady Dahlia
That rather extravagant and haughty look to her well suits her personality. Lady Dahlia is very bossy towards others and often more cares more for her own welfare. However, she wasn’t always like this. She’s really a robot based off Augustus Reinhold’s wife, programmed to be less like her too. Despite that, she still cares deeply for Flora.

Appears in:

Baron Augustus Reinhold
The baron of St. Mystere and Flora’s loving father, Augustus Reinhold passed away a few years before the Curious Village. He created the town and all its citizens just so Flora wouldn’t feel lonely. The citizens were also a test to see if a visitor was smart enough to take care of Flora after his death, and we all know who was the one to pass.

Appears in:

Claudia
Every women wanting to display her wealth usually carries a rich-looking cat wherever they go, and that’s exactly like that with Lady Dahlia and her pet cat, Claudia. Dahlia is so attached to her that she freaks out when the cat flees during an unexpected scuffle. Sheesh Dahlia, don’t you think should relax a bit?

Appears in:

Bruno
Though he might look a no-good thief, Bruno is actually very important to the village of St. Mystere. He is a robot technician who built all of the town’s citizens. It’s also thanks to him the town will never experience a robot apocalypse because he ensures that they will never malfunction.

Appears in:

Ramon:
One of the many servants within the Reinhold household, Ramon is a robot much like the majority of St. Mystere’s citizens. He is particularly known as “that man with the creepy purple lips,” and I honestly, I feel creeped out by him too. He really doesn’t look like a man you’d want to kiss.

Appears in:

Dr. Andrew Schrader
This man is a mentor figure to Professor Layton, and you can see why. He was Layton’s old teacher (even Don Paolo’s too), and to this day, he is a highly respected archeologist…but like everyone else, he has his flaws. His curiosity often leads him into trouble, such as when he opened the Elysian Box for one.

Appears in:
-Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (09/2009)

Katia Anderson
This sweet and and lovely young woman is her town’s top adoration. She is Anton Herzen’s granddaughter, and quite shockingly, she looks almost identical to her grandmother, Anton’s wife, back in her youth. There resemblance was so striking that Anton mistaken her for Sophia when the two first met!

Appears in:

Hamster
A little animal friend that lost a ton of weight thanks to Luke’s help. In Smash Bros, Professor Layton throws the Hamster for his side special after throwing the Apple. The Hamster will do whatever it takes to reach the Apple, and will knock away any fighters in the way while those standing next to the Apple are in for a nasty surprise!

Appears in:

Mr. Fredrich Beluga
Mr. Beluga might have a short stature, but he is not someone you want to mess with. He’s the owner of the luxurious Monetary Express and just so happens to be Anton Herzen’s brother. Did I mention he’s quite rude to his staff as well? Yeah, maybe I’ll just hand my free train ticket to someone else.

Appears in:

Sammy Thunder
You’d think the Monetary Express’s conductor is the typical kind, right? Well, during the day, Sammy is like that, but once he grabs his beloved mike, he’s a totally different person. He turns into a wild rockstar, thus giving him his nickname, Sammy Thunder. Just hope he doesn’t become this ego when it’s early in the morning.

Appears in:

Elysian Box
What a beautiful box! It was used to contain a letter from Anton to his fiancee, Sophia, after she moved away. It’s crafted from the gold discovered in Folsense’s mines, but it’s because of that the box harbors a deadly secret. Apparently, opening the box will kill you, but why? Just comes to show looks can be deceiving!

Appears in:

Anton Herzen
This charming-looking nobleman is not as he seems. He claims to be a vampire to scare people away, and he has been quite unhappy ever since his fiancee left him. The hallucinogenic gas seeping from Folsense’s mines causes his illusions of eternal youth to become reality, so he’s actually a very old man. It’s an illusion I tell you!

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (09/2009)

Clive
Clive goes by the guise "Future Luke" in order to draw the Professor into what seems to be London 10 years into the future. He’s actually a young man who wants to destroy the present London for the tragic time machine accident that killed his parents, and he’s got one nasty and unbelievable scheme to do just that!

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (09/2010)

Claire
Professor Layton’s girlfriend in his early adulthood days. A sweet and loving woman, she was the one to give Layton’s signature top hat as a gift. She was also a scientist that worked on developing a time machine, but sadly, she was killed during the experiment process. It’s because of her death Layton wears the top hat in her memory.

Appears in:
Dimitri Allen
This researcher in the field of time travel also had feelings for Claire, his assistant and Professor Layton’s sweetheart. Her accidental death ultimately led him to abduct scientists in order to build a new time machine to prevent her untimely fate, but little did Dimitri know another person was manipulating him in the process…

Appears in:

Bill Hawks
Bill Hawks may be the prime minister of the United Kingdom, but he is actually the very essence of a corrupt politician. He used to be a scientist who worked on developing the time machine, but after being payed a huge sum of money to run the experiment, he used his newfound wealth to become the stubborn politician he is today.

Appears in:

Dean Delmona
Meet the head of Gressenheller University, Dean Delmona! He is good friends with Professor Layton and is absolutely adored by all the students for his genuine personality. In fact, he loves his granddaughter so much he spoils her with tons of gifts. Don’t you wish you had a grandfather like him?

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Last Specter (10/2011)

Subject 3
One of the animal friends Professor Layton and Luke run into during their adventure in Future London, Subject 3 is a bipedal, gruff-talking rabbit. He may be a rude individual, but it was thanks to being separated from his family and scientists forcing him to undergo experimentation that turned him into who he is now.

Appears in:

Rosa Grimes
Rosa Grimes is the cleaning lady in charge of Gressenheller University’s offices. She is especially considerate to the little details, so you can imagine her reaction when she sees a messy desk. WAIT! Before you decide to consider another cleaning lady, I should tell she’ll make a delicious cup of tea. Still want a new cleaning lady?

Appears in:

Arianna Barde
Arianna Barde is a young girl who was once believed to be a witch by most Misthallery citizens. She was very energetic in the past, but her father’s death caused her to shut out from the world. Eventually, she grew out of that phase. Arianna is also good friends with Luke. In fact, she was Luke’s first kiss on the cheek!

Appears in:

Tony Barde
Tony Barde is the kind of younger brother who cares highly about his older siblings. In fact, he went as far as disguising himself as an old gardener for the mansion to punish those who spoke ill of Arianna. Tony is also much like his sister in that he has a short temper and can be quite touchy. Like brother, like sister I guess.

Appears in:

Levin Jakes
Not every police chief is a kind and heroic person, and Misthallery’s Levin Jakes is no exception. Sure he gains the respect of the entire town, but he is really quite intimidating and greedy. He helped with Descole’s plans just for the money too. Yep, he’s not someone who would deliver justice. Rather, he completely goes against it!

Appears in:

Crow
Though a simple young boy, Crow is a captivating figurehead for all the children in Misthallery. He is exceptionally smart too. He uses this trait to successfully rule the town’s black market and give Professor Layton a mysterious yet heated chase through the town’s market plaza while disguised as the Black Raven.

Appears in:

Loosha
Did you know that this huge, lovable, and intelligent sea monster was once believed to be the mysterious specter ravaging through Misthallery? Well, she actually isn’t. Loosha was especially close to Arianna and Tony Barde. She even fought against Descole’s Mecha Specter to protect the village, but sadly at the cost of her life.

Appears in:

Clark Triton
Clark Triton is the father of Luke Triton and a good friend of Professor Layton back when they studied in university together. He is the former mayor of Misthallery and loves his family dearly, which Descole used to his advantage in the Last Specter. Later on, he helps the Professor solve the mystery of the stolen museum artifacts.

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (02/2014)

Brenda Triton
Brenda Triton is Luke Triton’s mother and wife to Clark Triton. In the Last Specter, she was very close to uncovering Descole’s Doland Noble disguise, but Descole locked her up in the Triton cellar too for doing so. She also has the tendency to collect tons of odd souvenirs from her travels that can remind you of a puzzle.

Appears in:

Doland Noble
The Triton family’s faithful butler and friend who has been taking care of Luke since he was a baby. His kind and quiet nature was what allowed Descole to easily exploit him by disguising as him and locking him in the Triton cellar. Unfortunately for Descole, Professor Layton figured out his ruse and uncovered his Doland Noble disguise.

Appears in:

Rabbits
These two rabbits were originally going to be released after the ringmaster from Monte d’Or’s circus was displeased with their potential. However, Luke has the option of choosing between either the white or the brown rabbit and training it for the Rabbit Show mini-game, proving the ringmaster that one shouldn’t be quick to judge!

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (10/2012)

Mummies
While venturing through the Akbadain ruins, Randall and Hershel ran into a group of mechanized mummies that are capable of fighting back with swords. In Smash Bros, they appear in Smash Run towards the inner levels and attack by spinning with their swords. They follow a certain trajectory though, so study their movements!

Appears in:

Randall Ascott
Professor Layton’s best friend during his high school years while living in Stansbury. He was very passionate about archaeology to the point he dragged Layton into an adventure to uncover some historic secrets that would lead to fame. Unfortunately, he died during the expedition, but rumor has it he’s still alive somewhere…

Appears in:

The Masked Gentleman
Suspicious looking mask, a fear-striking voice, and a white suit. That’s the Masked Gentleman alright! He terrorizes the city of Monte d’Or through his miracles, including walking on air, making paintings come to life, and turning people to stone. People say that mask has something to do with it, but there is a much deeper secret about him…

Appears in:

The Masked Gentleman unmasked
...The Masked Gentleman was none other than Randall Ascott! One day, an amnesiac Randall received a letter from Descole telling him Henry Ledore married Angela, angering Randall. Swearing revenge, Randall worked with Descole by becoming the Masked Gentleman while Descole created the miracles that would terrorize Monte d'Or.

Appears in:

Alphonse Dalston
Alphonse Dalston is an old high school friend of Professor Layton, Randall, Angela, and Henry. Currently living in Monte d’Or, he looks rather gruff and greedy, but he actually has a huge soft spot for animals and is a great guy once you get to know him. Come to think of it, he and Luke would get along quite well!

Appears in:

Henry Ledore
Monte d’Or’s founder was also a good friend of the Professor back in their teenage youth. Henry used his newly gained fortune for the city’s growth and always remembers Randall’s kindness when they were kids, so much that he has been awaiting his friend’s return for 18 years and still treasures the toy robot Randal gave him.

Appears in:

Angela Ledore
An old friend of Professor Layton who currently resides in Mont d’Or. She is the one to write to Hershel after 18 years since they last talked so that he could investigate the events surrounding the Masked Gentleman. She may be married to Henry Ledore, but she is actually waiting for Randall’s return thanks to Henry’s optimism.

Appears in:

Angela Ledore (teen)
Angela may be a rather quiet and sweet women these days, but back when she was a teenager, she was much more lively with a strong zest for life. She was also Randall’s girlfriend back in high school, so you can imagine his death really changed her into the adult she is now. Luckily for her, old-found love can return with positive results!

Appears in:

Professor Layton (teen)
Who knew that Hershel Layton once had a rocking hairstyle? Neither did I. You would also be surprised to learn there was a time when he wasn’t interested in archaeology either. Well, if it weren’t for Randall dragging Layton into an adventure, we wouldn’t have the iconic archaeology professor we all know and love today.

Appears in:

Aurora
Aurora is the guardian of the Azran Sanctuary and the Azran Civilization’s emissary. Though initially timid, she gradually regains her memory and opens up to others while traveling with Professor Layton. In Smash Bros, she appears on the Azran Sanctuary stage piloting the battlefield thanks to her Azran powers.

Appears in:

Prima
This friendly girl comes from the village of Froenborg. Judging by her constant smile while wearing some cozy winter clothing, she looks like she enjoys her hometown. If that’s what you think, then you’d be surprised to learn she wants to visit a place that never snows. Had she joined Layton on his adventure, this dream would’ve been a reality.

Appears in:

Chief Inspector Carmichael
Another one of Scotland Yard’s finest inspectors, and I MEAN finest inspectors. He doesn’t have Grosky’s naivety and Chelmey’s impatience, and he suspected Bloom’s treachery from the start thanks to the arguments the two got into when they first met. Now, could he ever replace Layton in terms of deductive reasoning? You decide!

Appears in:

Old Red
When Professor Layton and company stopped at Torido during their adventures, they ran into a wolf nicknamed Old Red by the local residents. He initially appears to be a very intimidating wolf, but he is really just searching for an old friend before he dies, and he really thinks that considering he really outgrew that necklace.

Appears in:

Umid
This young lad lives in the forgotten ruins of Mossinia along with a few other people. He works with Professor Layton to help solve the mystery of the town’s adults falling into a coma, his mother among them. Luckily, they eventually discover a hidden Azran library and use its information to create an antidote to cure the adults.

Appears in:

Swift
Swift is second in command of Targent and Bronev's right-hand man. His cold look, messy hair, and facial scar make him the intimidating individual he is, not to mention he always pounds his fist as if he’s getting ready for a fight any second. If you’re a rookie Targent officer, you better not mess up your job when he’s around!

Appears in:

Hershel and Theodore Bronev
Here’s a secret you never knew: Descole and Professor Layton are actually brothers, once known as Hershel and Theodore Bronev respectively. When the Laytons were going to adopt the one named Hershel, he switched his name with Theodore’s on the last second so that his younger brother would live the happier life. Aw, how sweet!

Appears in:

Rachel Bronev
Professor Layton and Descole’s true mother and Leon Bronev’s wife. Just by looking at her, one can easily tell where Layton inherited that brown hair and dotted eyes from. She and her husband were kidnapped by Targent, and during the ordeal, she acquired a terminal illness that ultimately her. Her death is what turned Leon into who he is now.

Appears in:

Leon Bronev (youth)
Let’s get one thing straight: Leon Bronev wasn’t always a cruel man. Ever since he was a child, he had a passion for archaeology, and he eventually went on to become an archaeologist who found evidence of the Azran Legacy. Due to this, he was kidnapped by Targent, and the events that followed changed him both physically and mentally.

Appears in:

The Bronev Family
Here is the entire Bronev family back in the good ‘ol days. Leon Bronev worked as an archaeologist and loved to show his sons some archaeological wonders, while Rachel was a genuine mother for the family. Sadly, their life was changed forever when Targent abducted the parents, leaving Hershel and Theodore as orphans.

Appears in:

Big Ben
London, Professor Layton’s hometown, can easily be identified thanks to its signature landmark: the famous clocktower, Big Ben. In Smash Bros, this is your first stop as you fight across some of the city’s most famous spots. it will even ring its signature chime during your fight to give you the complete London experience!

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (09/2009)

Scotland Yard
Here is the headquarters where the finest inspectors and constables that have assisted Layton in his adventures work on an average day. In Smash Bros, it’s another stop you’ll visit while fighting at London. You can even see Chelmey, Barton, Carmichael, and Bloom through the windows during the fight!

Appears in:

Gressenheller University
This is where Professor Layton works as an archaeology professor. His classes are especially popular amongst students. In Smash Bros, you won’t be fighting inside Layton’s office or his classroom, but rather at the univerisity’s iconic entrance. You can even see Dean Delmona, Rosa Grimes, and Dr. Schrader there!

Appears in:

Azran Sanctuary
These gigantic ruins left by the Azran emerged from the ground during the final events of the Azran Legacy. In Smash Bros, fighters will have a quite an adventure fighting here. They first fight inside the ruins, then fly around it, then on top of the Sanctuary while dodging hazardous statues, and finally on its crumbling remnants.

Appears in:

Azran Golems
These ancient robots were the greatest legacy of the Azran civilization. They were super intelligent and ultimately led to the Azran’s demise. In Smash Bros, they are unleashed from the Azran Sanctuary as you fly around it. They release highly destructive beams that will immediately KO you if hit, so be sure to watch your ground!

Appears in:

Layton’s Top Hat
Professor Layton can be identified thanks to his signature top hat. Ever since Claire’s death, he hasn’t taken off this hat in public. She gave it him as a gift for becoming a professor. He was hesitant to wear it at first, but Claire encouraged because she thought it made him look like THE true gentleman. She was certainly right!

Appears in:
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (02/2008)

Descole’s Costume
Jean Descole can be identified by his signature mask, cape, hat, and tie that heighten an air of mystery to him. As Desmond Sycamore,Target eventually returned in an attempt to recruit him. He declined at the cost of losing his wife and daughter’s life. This event ultimately forced him to wear the costume and become the alias he is today.

Appears in:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On this topic, I hate how so many people brush Layton off as just a fencing character. Layton has a myriad of gadgets, gizmos, and tricks to use to outsmart and subdue his foes in a charming and graceful manner. He could use animals, a robot dog, laser goggles, a coin shooting machine gun, cameras, gliders for recovering, a plucky aprentice who could bite the heels of those who hurt the professah, and even *sigh* his sword. I could see Layton being a very interesting character who uses many different items to take down opponents.
I suppose one of the things that is the most notable about Layton, especially to the Professor Layton fandom, are the cutscene's where he gets himself into a sword fighting duel with someone. While these scene's are pretty hype to see. One of the things the Smash Bros fandom generally despises seeing more of (besides clones) are sword wielding characters. So when you go around treating that as his most notable thing he's capable of, the other fandom might perceive him as a very boring and generic fighter. Which is something you should try and avoid. Especially for a third party character.

Of course we as Layton fans are very well aware that Layton is capable of so much more than simply using a sword in battle. And if Sakurai where to implement Layton into Smash. I'm sure that he would do everything to make sure that Layton works as faithfully to what he and his series represent as a whole: The puzzles. After seeing how he handled the likes of Villager, Megaman and Ryu etc, I'm fairly sure he would do something like that.

Even if Layton had to use a sword of any kind. I'd probably prefer him to use a lead pipe instead to do a few of his sword swings.

That's just my opinion though.

@ Erureido Erureido

These are some very nice trophy descriptions you've made. Very well done! It's sad that we will probably not see any more characters as trophies besides probably Luke though......

At least if Street Fighter's trophies are anything to go by.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom