• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It took a bit of trial and error but I feel that I could have probably got it done a bit quicker. Oh well, it's only my first 3D model.....

your images seem to be broken though like Fal said.

Speaking of Smash 4 Layton and alts. Shall I try to make my 3D Flora look more accurate to the Smash 4 art style and perhaps make few alt colours too, just for fun? After having seen Toon Link's Wii U model and the way its designed, I think I can do it.... :upsidedown:
sure why not

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Well, I think it's time I tossed together a moveset for the good gentleman. I didn't quite look at other people's recently to keep my mind fresh, so any similarities to other folks' sets are purely coincidental (or just a really good idea!) Hope you all enjoy.

SPECIALS:
Neutral B: Slot Machine Gun: Layton charges the Slot Machine Gun as the button is held, cranking the lever back a fixed distance for each "charge stage". Releasing fires coins. The longer the weapon is charged for, the faster and more numerous the coins are. Can be shield cancelled to retain charge.
•Custom 1: Hot Machine Gun: The Slot Machine Gun takes longer to charge in return for increased power and fire damage.
•Custom 2: Chancy Machine Gun: The coins of the slot machine gun individually do random damage within a range, which can cause damage well below average and quite a bit above the norm depending on how the RNG favours you.

Up B: Village Glider: Layton mounts his homemade glider from the Curious Village, and launches upwards in a high arc. You can directionally influence the point of landing, and upon landing, the glider will break, damaging nearby opponents on impact (sweetspot right at where you hit). If the ledge is grabbed, the glider will tumble offstage and you will be unable to use it until it has disappeared. Can be shield cancelled early in the fall phase, causing Layton to fall helpless and the glider to fall, shattering if it hits the ground with less damage than if Layton was riding.
•Custom 1: High-Flying Glider: Increased ascent height, and a gentle descent rather than the crash landing in the standard Village Glider.
•Custom 2: Down-To-Earth Glider: Falls faster, does more damage at sweetspot (but less in sourspots) and buries opponents at the sweetspot.
[An alternative here would be the helicopter from the Eternal Diva, but who knows if they consider that canon.]

Side B: Hint Coin!: Layton enters his trademark thinking pose, and a small shadow travels across the ground in the direction he is facing. Upon releasing side B, a hint coin flies up from the ground before falling again, and Layton will point in its direction. His point has a hitbox and will deal a minuscule amount of damage. Entering the attack as a smash attack will cause the small shadow to move quicker and the resulting hint coin to fly up faster and higher.
•Custom 1: Quick-Search Coin: The hint coin's shadow travels faster, but does less damage on reveal.
•Custom 2: Super Hint Coin: The coin revealed is larger and does more damage, but does not fly as high as its smaller counterparts.

Down B: Critical Thinking (counter): Layton enters his trademark thinking pose, surveying the battle. If attacked while in this move, he will evade and strike back quickly with his rapier. If the move is used too frequently, Layton will not be able to focus for as long.
•Custom 1: Outsmarted: Layton cannot focus for as long, but upon being striked clicks his fingers near the opponent's face rather than striking. This click causes the stun state, similar to Mewtwo's Confusion.
•Custom 2: Deep Thought: Layton can stay in the focused state for longer, but the concluding attack is much weaker.

[The special moves of Layton open up mind game potential-- the SideB itself can be adjusted to travel faster or slower depending on the situation. The similarities between the opening pose of this SideB and the DownB also help to provide mind games. If you don't see the coin shadow, you could get nailed for keeping your distance, whereas if you rush in as he is preparing a counter you could take hefty damage too. Essentially, if you get this puzzle wrong, you're going to lose a few Picarats, as well as some percentage.]

TILTS:
F-Tilt: Layton swipes to the side with his rapier, in an arc from shoulder height to knee height.

D-Tilt: Layton slides his foot out in front of him to kick the ground rapidly, ducking slightly and holding his hat with his free hand.

U-Tilt: Layton points upwards with his free hand as he does during the games. He hops slightly off the ground momentarily, at which point both his arm and hat have a hitbox, with most damage being dealt by his finger.

SMASH ATTACKS:
F-Smash: Layton moves his free hand to the side, and then prepares to perform his trademark point. The initial sound from the "puzzle solved" jingle is played as this attack is performed. Sweetspot at the finger, naturally.

U-Smash: A red exclamation mark flies up from above Layton's head as he points upward, then falls down again before disappearing over Layton's head. The length of the charge denotes how high the exclamation mark rises, and ending lag and damage increasing on a similar scale. The sound from the games plays upon an exclamation mark's reveal.

D-Smash: Layton whirls around 360 degrees with his rapier extended, holding it diagonally downwards to hit foes around him. He holds his hat during this attack and chuckles upon its completion.

GRAB:
Layton grabs an opponent by the shoulder with his free hand (if shoulders are not available, high on their body will do).

PUMMEL: Layton jostles the opponent (shaking them rather than actually hitting them, it's more gentlemanly in execution).

THROWS:

F-Throw: Layton tosses the opponent forward, and a sliding block puzzle appears and shifts rapidly to extend upwards and knock the opponent at an approximate 45 degree angle.

U-Throw: Layton tosses the opponent upwards and the three white lines from conversation with characters ingame appear above his head to do damage.

D-Throw: Layton rapidly thrusts the opponent down, bouncing them off the ground. [Couldn't think of a good one for this...]

B-Throw: Layton dismisses the opponent by tossing them backwards, but quickly jabs them with his rapier before returning to his original direction.

AERIALS:
N-Air: Layton twists around in the air with his rapier extended horizontally to do damage. Sweetspot at the tip and sourspot nearer to his body.

F-Air: Layton executes a flying kick with one leg in the direction he is facing.

D-Air: Layton drops a book (the save book?), a teapot, or a hint coin from inside his jacket. A teapot has a meteor effect, while the book does more damage and the hint coin falls faster. All have similar hitboxes.

B-Air: A sliding block puzzle appears behind Layton, quickly rearranging so blocks are extending outwards in all 90-degree directions but towards Layton. Damage is only dealt upon these blocks extending, so there is a slight delay on startup.

U-Air: Layton executes a backflip kick, holding onto his hat while performing the attack.

JAB: Layton stabs quickly with his rapier, stepping forward and holding his hat with his free hand. He shuffles back and forth while the jab combo continues, while he stabs in a small random arc, and swipes sideways to finish the combo.

DASH: Layton runs towards the opponent, but skids to stop short, and tosses a hint coin rapidly from inside his jacket. As a projectile, this can be reflected back to hit Layton. [What is more mindgame-fuel than a dash that retains spacing?]

I tried to incorporate puzzle aspects where appropriate, while trying to maintain Layton's usual gentlemanly demeanour while beating folks up. Wanted to make mindgames powerful so I kept that in mind during the writeup. Also, tried to keep the characteristic of him being attached to his hat for reasons that people who played Unwound Future will know, holding on to it whenever it may be lost. His playstyle based upon the moves I have chosen seems to be a mix of Greninja and Marth with a splash of Dedede, though I'd expect him to have a height similar to Link's excluding hat. A weight class similar to Dr. Mario and that level of damage output with just a tad more walk and run speed would be likely.

This is, of course, far from perfect! But more fan ideas into the mix can't hurt.

EDIT: HOW DID I FORGET A FINAL SMASH. Um. Okay.

FINAL SMASH: Puzzle Solved!: All characters in close proximity to Layton are snatched and brought to the centre of a black screen, where Layton begins his puzzle results screen cutscene. A quote from the games is used for this; "here's my answer" or something of the like. On the final frame of the attack, Layton swipes his arm sideways before pointing at the screen, hitting all characters present for massive damage!

(Note I have stayed away from superfluous details such as victory screen and taunts, and focused on attacks.)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'll support Layton.

After all, he is a true gentleman (and can sole mysteries).
You've been added to the supporters list. Welcome on board! ^^

An excellent moveset write up @ Martingale Martingale that does remind me though. I should probably put up some custom moves too. (Even though Mewtwo apparently doesn't have any....)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ehh to try and bring the topic up into discussion a little more. If Layton where to become playable, do you think we may get one or two Mii fighter costumes along with him? (Much like Megaman does with X and Proto Man?)

I think if he does, there would probably be a Mii Brawler costume for Emmy and a Mii Swordfighter costume for Descole. mainly because besides Layton, those two seem to get some requests too every blue moon with the Layton fandom.... Even though I think there should be a costume for Luke too.....

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe we could get some, depends on the situation really.
I never seen any other third-party franchise DLC character get that treatment yet. Now that you mentioned it, I think it's somewhat likely to happen now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ehh to try and bring the topic up into discussion a little more. If Layton where to become playable, do you think we may get one or two Mii fighter costumes along with him? (Much like Megaman does with X and Proto Man?)

I think if he does, there would probably be a Mii Brawler costume for Emmy and a Mii Swordfighter costume for Descole. mainly because besides Layton, those two seem to get some requests too every blue moon with the Layton fandom.... Even though I think there should be a costume for Luke too.....
yeah mii fighter outfits would be pretty cool, a luke one does seem like something theyd do bur for which mii fighter is the question

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
yeah mii fighter outfits would be pretty cool, a luke one does seem like something theyd do bur for which mii fighter is the question
Luke would most likely make it in as a Brawler, but I would be happy enough to see Emmy and Descole as Brawler and Sword Fighter respectively. Don Paolo and Granny Riddleton probably should be in as Assist Trophies, though!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Luke is certainly a must for a Mii fighter costume.

Don Paolo as an Assist Trophy would be neat. With him using his copter and demolishing everything like he did in Curious Village.
I think another neat Assist Trophy would be Anton, where he could probably cause some sort of illusion in the battlefield and making you temporarily fight as your opponents characters for a bit. (Much like Manaphy did in Brawl, except he'd me more common....)

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
As for all of the other Layton supporters on this thread, I do have some things to share. I have a reveal trailer idea for Layton as well, one that I had since October. I'm going to post that in a short while though. In addition to the Smash Ballot, there's one bit of work I must take care of before I share my reveal trailer idea, because it'll only make sense when I take care of that other piece of work first (you'll see what I mean in the coming weeks).

EDIT: Here, let me give you all a hint coin.

When I mean "one bit of work I must take care of before I share my reveal trailer idea," the hint lies in my signature. If you look at my sig, you might already know where I'm getting at.
Remember this from several weeks ago?

Well, Good news for everyone here! I have finished that "bit of work"! Head on over to the Professor Layton social group to see what it is! Like I said, this "bit of work" is necessary in order to understand my reveal trailer idea for Professor Layton, which will be also be posted sometime soon.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Remember this from several weeks ago?

Well, Good news for everyone here! I have finished that "bit of work"! Head on over to the Professor Layton social group to see what it is! Like I said, this "bit of work" is necessary in order to understand my reveal trailer idea for Professor Layton, which will be also be posted sometime soon.
"You do not have the permissions to view or post in this section."

LAAAAAAYTOOOOON!

I've seen the post title and you have certainly piqued my intellectual curiosity. All I need now is those pernickety permissions. Still really hyped for your trailer reveal idea, I assume this will be a dual reveal due to that post?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

LAAAAAAYTOOOOON!

I've seen the post title and you have certainly piqued my intellectual curiosity. All I need now is those pernickety permissions. Still really hyped for your trailer reveal idea, I assume this will be a dual reveal due to that post?
I've send you an invite.

If anybody else is interested in joining the Professor Layton social group, feel free to ask me.

That's a pretty neat thread you made though @ Erureido Erureido ^^ I'll be sure to post into it once I have some more free time. ^^

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

LAAAAAAYTOOOOON!

Yes, that is correct! My reveal trailer idea is a duel reveal trailer much like how Robin and Lucina were revealed in that Smash Bros Fire Emblem trailer that came out almost a year ago! I can assure you this trailer idea I have for Layton and Descole is a pretty epic one too!

I should also provide another hint coin to get everyone excited. This reveal trailer idea is a "sequel" to another Smash Bros reveal trailer. Yes, I have figured out how this Layton trailer idea could connect to a previous Smash Bros reveal trailer, almost as if it creates a story so to speak. Stay tuned!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sounds pretty neat.

By the way, my Flora 3D model seems to have become surprisingly popular with the Layton fandom (it's still getting a lot of likes and reblogs over at Tumblr). I wonder if I should try and have a go at making a 3D model for Layton completely from scratch, I don't know how that would turn out though but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.....

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yew so sweet~ ;3

Yeah, at any rate, Miracle Mask. Really good stuff, definitely my favourite of the series thus far - the 3D graphics are really nice, and I love that we get to see Layton's backstory in it. I now honestly want Young!Layton as an alt in Smash - that perm gives him power!

I get the feeling this Bronev guy is important in Azran Legacy? That was a hell of a sequel hook.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yew so sweet~ ;3

Yeah, at any rate, Miracle Mask. Really good stuff, definitely my favourite of the series thus far - the 3D graphics are really nice, and I love that we get to see Layton's backstory in it. I now honestly want Young!Layton as an alt in Smash - that perm gives him power!

I get the feeling this Bronev guy is important in Azran Legacy? That was a hell of a sequel hook.
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the game. And yes, the guy at the end is very importand to Azran Legacy. I hope you enjoy that too. ^^

Btw. I always liked the design of your sig. Who is the character if I may ask? ^^;

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the game. And yes, the guy at the end is very importand to Azran Legacy. I hope you enjoy that too. ^^

Btw. I always liked the design of your sig. Who is the character if I may ask? ^^;
The beauty of the games is that they seem to drop in price after a while. I managed to get Specter's Call and Miracle Mask pre-owned in my local Gamestop - I'm gonna go take a look-see for Azran Legacy as well.

The character is Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou Project. It's the same character as my avatar, and she also appears in the gifs at the bottom. :3

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The beauty of the games is that they seem to drop in price after a while. I managed to get Specter's Call and Miracle Mask pre-owned in my local Gamestop - I'm gonna go take a look-see for Azran Legacy as well.

The character is Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou Project. It's the same character as my avatar, and she also appears in the gifs at the bottom. :3
Haha I suppose that's true. I bet you can find the original trilogy for a very cheap price now too. (Which are still worth playing imo) ^^

Oh I see. I always liked the way it was drawn so I was very curious to know in regards to who that was. Thanks for letting me know. c:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sounds pretty neat.

By the way, my Flora 3D model seems to have become surprisingly popular with the Layton fandom (it's still getting a lot of likes and reblogs over at Tumblr). I wonder if I should try and have a go at making a 3D model for Layton completely from scratch, I don't know how that would turn out though but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.....
You have nothing to lose, really. If one model of a side character was popular enough, a model of the main character would garner even more attention.

Also, invite to social group? ^_^

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You have nothing to lose, really. If one model of a side character was popular enough, a model of the main character would garner even more attention.

Also, invite to social group? ^_^
I just kinda think I'll probably have a harder time doing him than I did Flora. His head shape is really.... interesting....

I'll try though. btw, I've send you an invite.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
I suggest you give it a go your flora was amazing. and now i can see the difference between miracle mask and azran legacies layton

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

Yeah Miracle Mask Layton looks really rushed compared to Azran Legacy's Layton imo.

Although if I recall correctly. Miracle Mask was originally going to have a hand drawn art style like the previous four games before they decided to go with 3D models in order for it to go well with the 3DS which was newly coming up back then. As well as considering they were trying to get that game released on the Japanese launch of the 3DS. I guess the model may have been rushed after all....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
his facial detail does look slightly off the ears seem to stick out more or something and layton in azran legacies almost looks tanned compared to the miracle mask version

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
His head looks thinner too, his face may have been a bit more rounded as well. I was hoping to see his 3D model released so I could gain a better understanding to how it was build and how I should model my Layton. But I guess I'll have to try and build a brand new one like I did with Flora.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
^unless you model him like that
Lol perhaps if I feel bored enough but nah. I struggled more than enough trying to get Flora's dress to animate properly and even then I think I did a pretty poor job. I think I'll have to look for some more tutorials or ask some professional 3D modelers on advice in regards to that.

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
do not be to hard on your self you had nothing to truly base it on
certainly better than any art i could do

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I guess it's a good thing that she isn't the type of character who runs too much so I think the way I applied her dress will hopefully be just fine. I would still like to have it flow better sometime though. Especially if I ever decide to do more with that model.

At least with Layton I wouldn't have to worry about such things besides the lower part of his jacket I suppose....

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton certainly has a simpler looking model compared to Flora.

With him I wouldn't have to worry about the dress physics. Animating the eye's (I do kinda want to be able to have Flora's pupils move around much like Toon Link's does), as well as animating the ponytail and curl. So applying the bones on him and weight painting him should be a whole lot easier.

So the harder part is actually building the model itself I presume.

Last edited:
Top Bottom