• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
He may be a better villain, but he's extremely hateable as a character. Don Paolo and every other Layton villain may be bad, but at least they openly display humanity at points and are shown not to be heartless (heck, Dimitri's actually opposed to murder); Descole has shown nothing of the sort.
I agree. The just strait disregard for human life gives him an aura of mystery... hopefully they don't let us down in Azran Legacies.

D

Deleted member

I agree. The just strait disregard for human life gives him an aura of mystery... hopefully they don't let us down in Azran Legacies.
Alas, temptation has gotten the better of me and I looked up spoilers; I already know who he is.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well... Looks like Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney had been confirmed for US!!

YESS!!.gif

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh hey, thanks for keeping this thread active while I was gone, MaskO'Gears and TopHattedTroopa.

And yes, Professor Layton vs Ace attorney will be coming soon next year ^_^ (Early 2014 for Europe) And lets not forget Azran Legacy which got a release for Europe that is the 8th of November. I'll be looking forward to it. Hopefully Akihiro Hino will really continue the Layton series after all for at least one more trilogy (With Layton as the main character please). I also loved how Nintendo saved up the Layton series for last in that direct. :)

Anyway's. I guess I'll catch up with this thread now.

Also yay for having reached the 10th page. :D

Edit: @Keybladeguy Awesome, I'll add you to the supporters list then. You too Kikaru sorry for taking so long in adding you.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Professor Layton is one of the few 3rd Party characters I see possible to make the cut, my list is: 1. Professor Layton 2. Pac-Man 3. Snake (unlikely though) 4. Simon Belmont 5. Bomberman 6. Rayman 7. Sonic 8. Tails/Knuckles/or Shadow 9. Warrior of Light/Black Mage 10. Klonoa 11. Mega Man (confirmed)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm happy to hear that you think he is so likely. I hope so too. ^_^

It would be awesome if during the release of Azran Legacy or during the Ace Attorney crossover. Sakurai would reveal a trailer where Professor Layton joins the battle as the second third party newcomer (to reference Capcom and Level-5 joining together again in Smash with Megaman, maybe). :)

Groose

Smash Champion
My Reaction:
Now... maybe this boosts Layton's chances for Smash? Eh... Maybe. I'm still a happy man even if he doesn't at this point. I said not too long ago that I would prefer Layton vs Ace Attorney be localized than Layton in Smash.​

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm sticking with 4 as the limit too.

* We got Megaman.

Now what's left is.

* The possibility of Sonic returning.
* The possibility of Snake returning.
* The possibility of a Namco character. (Pac-Man?)
* The possibility of a different third party company getting their character in. (Level-5's Professor Layton?)

Though a Namco character isn't exactly guaranteed and we are not guaranteed to get Sonic and/or Snake back so it's up in the air really in terms of third parties.

I would personally imagine Megaman, Sonic and Snake as the most likely. IF we would get a fourth one it would either be between a Namco character (Pac-Man?) or a third party character belonging to a different company. (Level-5 and Layton?)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm happy to hear that you think he is so likely. I hope so too. ^_^

It would be awesome if during the release of Azran Legacy or during the Ace Attorney crossover. Sakurai would reveal a trailer where Professor Layton joins the battle as the second third party newcomer (to reference Capcom and Level-5 joining together again in Smash with Megaman, maybe). :)
Oh boy... I just about had a fanboy attack when I saw the OBJECTION! In the Direct. After that, I yelled for joy. Yes, out loud. I've been waiting a long time...

Reading some people's reactions to the announcement, it appears that both NON-Ace Attorney fans & Fans alike are interested in the cross-over. Maybe this will boost Layton's popularity...?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Reading some people's reactions to the announcement, it appears that both NON-Ace Attorney fans & Fans alike are interested in the cross-over. Maybe this will boost Layton's popularity...?

Yeah it could possibly lead to some Ace Attorney fans trying out the Professor Layton series after having played the crossover. But I think most Ace Attorney fans have already tried out the Layton series beforehand anyway.

Just like me, I was a huge Layton fan but once I've first seen the first trailer of the crossover I tried to get my hands on the Ace Attorney games and played them all. Now I'm eagerly awaiting Ace Attorney Dual Destinies.

But yeah it can help the series out in terms of popularity. Hopefully some of it can assist in demand for Layton and smash. ^_^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yeah it could possibly lead to some Ace Attorney fans trying out the Professor Layton series after having played the crossover. But I think most Ace Attorney fans have already tried out the Layton series beforehand anyway.

Just like me, I was a huge Layton fan but once I've first seen the first trailer of the crossover I tried to get my hands on the Ace Attorney games and played them all. Now I'm eagerly awaiting Ace Attorney Dual Destinies.

But yeah it can help the series out in terms of popularity. Hopefully some of it can assist in demand for Layton and smash. ^_^
Same here. The Cross-over announcement got me into Ace Attorney.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I've yet to actually play a Professor Layton game, but I'm playing the Layton Brothers: Mystery Room for ios per a friend's suggestion. From what I've read about the Professor Layton series, it seems Mystery Room doesn't really play the same. Mystery Room seems more like Ace Attorney, but nevertheless I'm enjoying the game quite a bit - it's very well written, especially for an ios game. I'll probably get into to the actual Layton games when I'm done with this one.

Despite not actually playing a Prof. Layton game starring Prof. Layton (The ios version stars his brother, Alfendi) I still think he would make a great edition to the cast, albeit an unlikely one. Sakurai, however, seems to like to create characters that no one would really expect to be in Smash - giving them unique and intelligent movesets. And Prof. Layton certainly fits that bill - puzzle solving would be a very interesting mechanic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've yet to actually play a Professor Layton game, but I'm playing the Layton Brothers: Mystery Room for ios per a friend's suggestion. From what I've read about the Professor Layton series, it seems Mystery Room doesn't really play the same. Mystery Room seems more like Ace Attorney, but nevertheless I'm enjoying the game quite a bit - it's very well written, especially for an ios game. I'll probably get into to the actual Layton games when I'm done with this one.

Despite not actually playing a Prof. Layton game starring Prof. Layton (The ios version stars his brother, Alfendi) I still think he would make a great edition to the cast, albeit an unlikely one. Sakurai, however, seems to like to create characters that no one would really exect to be in Smash - giving them unique and intelligent movesets. And Prof. Layton certainly fits that bill, puzzle solving would be a very interesting mechanic.

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying at least one of the spin off games of the Layton series. :) And while I haven't played Mystery Room yet, I did hear that it plays more like the Ace Attorney games than the Professor Layton games. Which from some of the gameplay screen I've seen. I suppose is true.

The gameplay of the Professor Layton series are a bit more puzzle centric. If you enjoyed the writing of Mystery Room than you're in for a real treat for the Layton games since the story is also very well written for them. Especially the story in Unwound/Lost Future is a very fun and enjoyable experience. I hope you get to try out the Professor Layton main series soon then.

Yeah Layton does have a good number of unique and interesting abilities that I can definitely see Sakurai taking advantage of if he ever wanted Layton in smash. Besides his fencing and craftman skill's. There is also of course the wide variety of puzzles he got to solve over the course of the series. I'm fairly certain that Layton has a lot of open doors in terms of moveset potential and that Sakurai can come up with something very interesting for him. :)

If you want I'll add you to the supporters list. :) Oh and a small correction, Alfendi is Layton's son, not his brother. ^^;

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Go for it.

What? Whoa. I guess they did mention his father was Hershel Layton in game. I was confused because he mentions a brother several times, I suppose.

Done. :)

Yeah Layton is his father from what I've heard. I'm not sure about the whole brother thing though. Like I said I've never played Layton Brothers so I don't know the whole story so I can't help you on that bit, sorry. ^^;

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm working on making a moveset as we speak.

I have one question: is this thread Azran Legacies spoiler-free? I fear exploration.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

I have one question: is this thread Azran Legacies spoiler-free? I fear exploration.
We try to keep it that way my under-appreciated-yet-awesome friend. However, for all the others... It's a toss up.

Hey Kiwi, should we make this a spoiler free thread?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Layton is my second favorite new third party rep (Pac-Man is first, Sonic returning is technically second), so feel free to add me to the list of supporters.

Here's my ideal list of third parties, btw.

Pac-Man
Sonic
Layton
Megaman (confirmed)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

There shouldn't be any Azran Legacy spoilers in this thread. At least no major spoilers except for that Lucas codec I've made which I put up a warning that it contained major spoilers to Azran Legacy. So long as you avoid reading that, you should be fine. Unless you want me to do a quick scan through the thread in order to make sure?

And sure, feel free to share the moveset if you like. I'll also include it into the OP of you want. ^_^

Hey Kiwi, should we make this a spoiler free thread?

As in spoiler free for all the games or just Azran Legacy? If it's for all of the games then I guess I need to give the OP a major makeover... If it's just Azran Legacy, most people haven't played the game yet or at least refrained from watching any spoilers or sharing it. But it will come out in Europe soon on the 8th of November so I guess I could give the European players a heads up to not share any spoilers if you like.

Layton is my second favorite new third party rep (Pac-Man is first, Sonic returning is technically second), so feel free to add me to the list of supporters.

Here's my ideal list of third parties, btw.

Pac-Man
Sonic
Layton
Megaman (confirmed)

Sure I'll add you to the list of supporters then. Welcome on board. ^_^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As in spoiler free for all the games or just Azran Legacy?
Ah... I would hate to have a new player spoil the end of UF... so yeah, If it's not too much inconvenience, a warning or a re-write would be nice.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah... I would hate to have a new player spoil the end of UF... so yeah, If it's not too much inconvenience, a warning or a re-write would be nice.
Well there aren't any spoilers to any endings of the games.... Well except for that home made glider move....

I did put up a warning that a number of stuff does contain spoilers to the games. When I'm feeling a little less sleepy I guess I'll get to work on removing some spoilers here and there in the OP.

Groose

Smash Champion
Well there aren't any spoilers to any endings of the games.... Well except for that home made glider move....

I did put up a warning that a number of stuff does contain spoilers to the games. When I'm feeling a little less sleepy I guess I'll get to work on removing some spoilers here and there in the OP.

Personally, I'm only concerned with Azran Legacy spoilers; I do think others may be afraid of older spoilers, though.

I once had someone spoil
[collapse=spoiler] The FERRIS WHEEL [/collapse]
for me in the first game.

I'm still working on the Layton moveset. I've been revisiting some older games for inspiration, but nothing is really popping out at me. I want a set of specials that makes him a highly strategic character.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
The only thing going against Layton is the fact that apparently Azran Legacies is the last in the franchise. Apart from that, he single-handedly carried the DS and 3DS through some very rough times, got outstanding sales on all his games, appealed to all audiences of Nintendo gamers and is a very different character to anything we've seen before. It's probably not a secret that he's by far my most hoped for 3rd party character.

He's a gentleman, so he's got loads of moves. The car from 3, the fencing from 5, or he could just do gentlemanly things and swing teacups and throw puzzles at people.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Personally, I'm only concerned with Azran Legacy spoilers; I do think others may be afraid of older spoilers, though.

I once had someone spoil
[collapse=spoiler] The FERRIS WHEEL [/collapse]
for me in the first game.

I'm still working on the Layton moveset. I've been revisiting some older games for inspiration, but nothing is really popping out at me. I want a set of specials that makes him a highly strategic character.

I've edited the OP and changed a lot of spoilerific stuff, if there are still some bits here and there you or anyone else feels is a bit spoilery, feel free to let me know and I will take care of it. ^_^

And yea, I got that bit spoiled to me as well, back when I didn't really consider trying out the Layton series since I didn't have a DS yet at the time. I also got spoiled to the ending of Unwound/Lost Future but that's okay since I still enjoyed those bits.

Okay, feel free to post it once you're ready then. Which reminds me, I was actually planning to make another moveset as well that is entirely based on the many puzzles he solves since seeing Sakurai and how he handled Megaman. I have a feeling that he would probably base Layton's moveset more on the puzzles themselves than anything else. I should get to work on that and look back at all the puzzles in the series for inspiration. ^^;

The only thing going against Layton is the fact that apparently Azran Legacies is the last in the franchise. Apart from that, he single-handedly carried the DS and 3DS through some very rough times, got outstanding sales on all his games, appealed to all audiences of Nintendo gamers and is a very different character to anything we've seen before. It's probably not a secret that he's by far my most hoped for 3rd party character.

He's a gentleman, so he's got loads of moves. The car from 3, the fencing from 5, or he could just do gentlemanly things and swing teacups and throw puzzles at people.
Well Hino has expressed eagerness to continue the Layton series and not being ready yet to let it end so I think we could still get at least one last trilogy taking place after the original trilogy. Wether it still has Layton as the main character is a whole different story though, I hope he still is... But that's a big IF for now. I think we need to wait and see for more info.

Yeah his games were indeed a very huge thing and they helped the 3DS very well during launch in Japan, Miracle Mask was basically it's killer app carrying the most sales.

I'll add you to the supporters list. ^_^

D

Deleted member

Well then, I'm back.

It seems living in Europe has it perks; I'll be sure to pick up Professor Layton vs Attorney next year.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welcome back TopHattedTroopa. ^_^

It's been quite recently when Nintendo started to cut us some slack. I remember the day's when we used to wait weeks, sometimes even months after Japan and America got to enjoy the games.

But in Layton's case. I have the feeling the reason why we are getting the games before America lately (apparently even by a few months now in at least Azran Legacy's case) is probably Nintendo's way to apologise for not giving us London Life along with the European version of the Specters Call since there was quite a huge backlash over that from European players.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Welcome back TopHattedTroopa. ^_^

It's been quite recently when Nintendo started to cut us some slack. I remember the day's when we used to wait weeks, sometimes even months after Japan and America got to enjoy the games.

But in Layton's case. I have the feeling the reason why we are getting the games before America lately (apparently even by a few months now in at least Azran Legacy's case) is probably Nintendo's way to apologise for not giving us London Life along with the European version of the Specters Call since there was quite a huge backlash over that from European players.
Glad to hear the European players are happy... I've never been there, but lived in Japan for 3 years, so all those games coming out... but you can't understand them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh that's pretty cool. You enjoyed it there in Japan? I would love to visit it one day (as well as a couple other countries).

But yeah, once Azran Legacy comes out I'll make sure no spoilers to that game gets shared in this thread. ^_^ Especially since the US needs to wait until sometime in 2014.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh that's pretty cool. You enjoyed it there in Japan? I would love to visit it one day (as well as a couple other countries).

But yeah, once Azran Legacy comes out I'll be sure to make sure no spoilers to that game gets shared in this thread. ^_^ Especially since the US needs to wait until sometime in 2014.
Japan was defiantly a different world. Completely different culture, awesome people, great food. I'd love to visit it again. I was in Yamaguchi prefecture when I discovered Professor Layton. :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Japan was defiantly a different world. Completely different culture, awesome people, great food. I'd love to visit it again. I was in Yamaguchi prefecture when I discovered Professor Layton. :)

Oh so you played the series for the first time in Japan? That's pretty cool. :) So I'd assume you know a bit of Japanese then?

I would love to go there myself one day. Seeing their culture, famous locations and all. I've been trying to learn the Japanese Language for a bit but that hasn't been too successful with me. Ah well. ^^;

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh so you played the series for the first time in Japan? That's pretty cool. :) So I'd assume you know a bit of Japanese then?

I would love to go there myself one day. Seeing their culture, famous locations and all. I've been trying to learn the Japanese Language for a bit but that hasn't been too successful with me. Ah well. ^^;
Do I know Japanese?
Just enough to apologize for existing. No kidding! Oh, and just a tad for not getting lost.

Yeah, the culture, locations... It's very nice. Clean too. Hiker's paradise.

Top Bottom