• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Shovel Knight really has been taking over Smashboards today that we are apparently even discussing him in threads that have nothing to do with him..... :T

Indie characters are still third party btw since their not owned by Nintendo in any way.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
If you want to separate indie and third party, surely that gives indies even less ground to stand on? Not sure why you'd do that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At the least, if true, it opens up the possibilities for non-iconic characters, including Layton (Which many claim to be because he's too new.)
The franchise is almost a decade old. Is that old enough? How old does it need to be in order to become "eligible" for Smash?

I don't believe Sakurai mentioned anything in regards to age with third party franchises....

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The franchise is almost a decade old. Is that old enough? How old does it need to be in order to become "eligible" for Smash?

I don't believe Sakurai mentioned anything in regards to age with third party franchises....
A character doesn't even need to have debuted in a game to be eligible :4greninja:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I personally wouldn't mind seeing at least one more modern third party make it into Smash.

It would at least help to show that there are also great third party franchises with Nintendo that have come along in the more modern era of gaming. If we where to get at least one modern third party in Smash. I would be overjoyed if said third party was Professor Layton.

Last edited:

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
Everyone, when i read the nintendo developer party in wikipedia, that said second party is level 5 and....include youkai watch, professor layton and lbx robots are exclusive for 3ds.

Because it said "Since the release of the Famicom/Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo has built up a large group of second-party development partners, through publishing agreements and development collaboration. Most of these external Nintendo project are overseen by the Nintendo Software Planning & Development (orSPD) division." (i found level 5 is second party)

Here link is:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_development_teams

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Let me just say one last thing about Shovel Knight: DECONFIRMED!

Look at the box art of the amiibo. It looks NOTHING like the other Smash characters.

We may get an amiibo, which makes no sense, but we won't get him as a Smash character.

Everyone, when i read the nintendo developer party in wikipedia, that said second party is level 5 and....include youkai watch, professor layton and lbx robots are exclusive for 3ds.

Because it said "Since the release of the Famicom/Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo has built up a large group of second-party development partners, through publishing agreements and development collaboration. Most of these external Nintendo project are overseen by the Nintendo Software Planning & Development (orSPD) division." (i found level 5 is second party)

Here link is:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_development_teams
THANK YOU! I've been saying for YEARS that Layton wasn't 3rd party! This significantly increases our chances.

Reila

Level-5 is definitely a third party developer and since the Layton IP isn't owned by Nintendo, I can't agree with the idea of Layton being "second party" (a concept that doesn't really exist, a character is either first or third party). Plus, lets assume Layton is a "second party" character, that wouldn't really mean much for his chances, now would it? We have a few "second party" characters in Smash:

:4marth::4myfriends::4robinf::4lucina: ... The Pokémon characters too, I guess? The Pokémon IP ownership is such a mess...

All of them are owned by Nintendo, but their games aren't developed by a first party studio. So technically they are first party, but that is what people usually call "second party". But there are also other relatively popular "second party" characters that are nowhere to be seen, like Isaac (Golden Sun) and Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101). So my point is: A character being first, "second" or third party isn't all that relevant. When the time comes, Sakurai will add whoever he feels like adding to the roster and assuming the character is third party, most IP owners will say "yes" to his request anyways.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I would probably rather see a more reliable source than Wikipedia in regards to Level-5's placement in the industry..... (Which I'm fairly sure they are a third party studio)

Nintendo just more or less lends a hand in getting some of their games localized and published outside Japan. Otherwise, Level-5 does all the publishing and everything themselves in Japan.

Last edited:

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
Level-5 is definitely a third party developer and since the Layton IP isn't owned by Nintendo, I can't agree with the idea of Layton being "second party" (a concept that doesn't really exist, a character is either first or third party). Plus, lets assume Layton is a "second party" character, that wouldn't really mean much for his chances, now would it? We have a few "second party" characters in Smash:

:4marth::4myfriends::4robinf::4lucina: ... The Pokémon characters too, I guess? The Pokémon IP ownership is such a mess...

All of them are owned by Nintendo, but their games aren't developed by a first party studio. So technically they are first party, but that is what people usually call "second party". But there are also other relatively popular "second party" characters that are nowhere to be seen, like Isaac (Golden Sun)
and Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101). So my point is: A character being first, "second" or third party isn't all that relevant. When the time comes, Sakurai will add whoever he feels like adding to the roster and assuming the character is third party, most IP owners will say "yes" to his request anyways.
Reilaa, i dont understand that, i read wikipedia about nintendo franchise include fire emble, kirby, metroid, etc.are first party.

Please you read here is link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_video_game_franchises

Last edited:

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
Listen everyone.....
I'm talking about level 5 in example:

Level 5 developed games for sony is third party: dark cloud, dark chronicle, rogue galaxy, white knight chronicles, ni no kuni(before was second party for nintendo ds and now is 3rd party for sony), etc.

Level 5 developed games for nintendo is second party (these are exclusive for 3ds): inazuma eleven, youkai watch, professor layton, fantasy life and guild01/02(exclusive for eshop nintendo)

Level 5 and capcom developed one crossover game professor layton vs ace attorney like second and third party is exclusive for 3ds

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I'm personally just going to call Professor Layton a Two-and-a-Halfth Party character. His games are essentially second party due to only ever appearing on Nintendo consoles (and I guess iOS counts, but not any competing consoles), but the company itself is definitely Third Party without doubt (like a ton of their games don't even appear on Nintendo consoles). So that's where I stand on the matter. He should still be treated as a Third Party character, but I feel like he'd be a lot more lenient of an addition as opposed to other Third Party characters.

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
Level-5 is a independent video game company.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Level-5 is a independent video game company.
Then I guess Capcom and Bandai-Namco are Indie developers too. :p

Yeah, that's not quite how it works. Indie development teams require a lot of funds from other companies, and the teams are generally pretty small. Level-5 is quite large at this point as well as funding themselves for the most part, so it would count as a Third Party developer rather than Independent.

Last edited:

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
Then I guess Capcom and Bandai-Namco are Indie developers too. :p

Yeah, that's not quite how it works. Indie development teams require a lot of funds from other companies, and the teams are generally pretty small. Level-5 is quite large at this point as well as funding themselves for the most part, so it would count as a Third Party developer rather than Independent.
No, no... You're wrong, these capcom and bandai namco arent indiependent developers....

Because Capcom and bandai namco are industry company for multi-platforms videogames example sony, microsoft and nintendo as third party than indie.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Actually, and I'm shocked to find this as well, and kind of feel like a jerk for brushing off many people who said this... Layton is indie. Curious Village was self-funded and self-published before Nintendo wanted him in the West and gave Level-5 a helping hand. By technical definition, the game itself is indeed indie.

BUT, the game itself would not have existed if it wasn't for Level-5 taking a ton of commissions prior (similar to what WayForward did). They made Dragon Quest VIII for Square Enix, and a bunch of RPGs for Microsoft and Sony. And since Layton, the company has gone on to become pretty damn big, with 280 employees and a 3.2% market share of the videogame industry in Japan. Because they began with those prior commissions means that Level-5 isn't an indie studio, but rather branched off and became one, and then became a powerful force in the Japanese market.

So yeah, Layton is indie.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do remember that Curious Village was developed on a low budget in order to test the waters and see if the series had a future of any kind. Much like the original Super Smash Bros for N64.

Though admittedly I'm not sure how the overall process went and all when first developing that game.....

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
So Smash is apparently being shown off at PAX later, and there's a new update to Smash coming on Monday. We gettin' our Layton Mii costume right?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I think I may would like to have a chat Mr. Miller myself. Not just in terms of Layton, but also a few other things.....

I'm not sure if doing that right now might be the right time though..... ^^

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So Smash is apparently being shown off at PAX later, and there's a new update to Smash coming on Monday. We gettin' our Layton Mii costume right?
There's a new update on monday?

Thank god I found out about this now, I almost would have had to throw away all my replays

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I could do with a Mii Fighter costume reveal like tomorrow or something. Smash DLC news has been pretty dry since..... the last DLC wave got released.....

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I could do with a Mii Fighter costume reveal like tomorrow or something. Smash DLC news has been pretty dry since..... the last DLC wave got released.....
I think it was due to the last wave being teased a lot with the pre-E3 video. We've had nothing to go on since the last wave, so rumours really have taken over interest. Every fan is on edge regardless of their favourite characters, so now really is the best time for a reveal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People are generally on edge over the whole Shovel Knight fiasco and we over Layton....

I don't know why but I feel like Layton is in a good position right now, but that might just be my own personal bias talking...... (Then again, I did more or less give up on him prior to recent happenings so much that I was planning to make a Smash 4 style 3D model for him myself.....)

Last edited:

Reila

I wouldn't call Shovel Knight's case a fiasco yet.

Anyways, there is maintenance coming on the 31st. Because of the PAX event, I am think the timing for the maintenance is kinda weird. Maybe they will patch something into the game? I mean, I am not saying it's Layton (or even Shovel Knight), but I do wonder if Nintendo have any surprises for us next week. How long has it been since Ryu and Roy were announced? Two months?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose so, weren't Roy and Ryu fully leaked sometime after another maintenance? (Though that was partly due to an update being accidentally released in Japan before it should if I recall correctly)

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't call Shovel Knight's case a fiasco yet.

Anyways, there is maintenance coming on the 31st. Because of the PAX event, I am think the timing for the maintenance is kinda weird. Maybe they will patch something into the game? I mean, I am not saying it's Layton (or even Shovel Knight), but I do wonder if Nintendo have any surprises for us next week. How long has it been since Ryu and Roy were announced? Two months?
I think we'll at least get some more Mii Costumes, but it feels as though something bigger is coming. As an aside, earlier this week we got a ton of info about other games and release dates that would normally come in the form of a Direct. Plus, the time slot for this maintenance is the time slot used for all DLC updates thus far. I'm pretty confident this update won't pass with just balance changes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose Directs really are over then huh?

Guess that shouldn't be too surprising considering the man that had been presenting them is no longer around.....

Reila

I think we will have Directs again, but not until Nintendo announces their new CEO. I hope Directs aren't over, they kind of are Mr. Iwata's legacy.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
It'll take some time for things to settle back down at Nintendo, but I don't foresee the end of Nintendo Directs due to Iwata's passing. They were one unique thing that Nintendo did; every so often, they'd take you aside and whisper about what they're going to be doing in the coming months. It's probably one of the big reasons they've got the reputation of being one of the more personable large companies out there, not just in respect to gaming. Bill Trinen and the Japanese rep, who performed the videos prior to E3, would be ideal until a new manager is fully selected and affirmed within his/her role. We'll see another one soon, but it still feels rather soon to see one.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We may get a Direct again, or they may do something a little different but inspired by the Directs.

Who knows. I suppose it may depend on what the next CEO decides to do.....

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I hope they announce something similar to what we got for a previous DLC update, and Sakurai presents a short 'Direct' about the upcoming stuffs. Usually directs like that are formally announced just a day or two before they air, so it's possible, especially if something big really is coming.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Oh my, the last time i was into character speculation was months ago. sigh i feel like getting my hope for nothing again but I hope we get something out of all this even if its isn't Layton in smash.

On a side note, it was hat day at my high school today so i wore my my top hat i used for my professor layton cosplay.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose its from here http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp
At least it talks about the maintenance that will be happening on the 31st.

Anyway, I think I just came up with a neat rapid jab idea.

In the DS games you had to tap around the touch screen in order to find things such as hint coins and puzzles etc. So for Layton's rapid jab he could probably take out a DS as he taps on its touch screen whilst the tap indicator hits his opponent. Then a hint coin/red exclamation mark can show up when you stop and launch your opponent away.

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I just had a troubling thought, and I'm sure no-one wants to hear this, but is it possible that those extra voice clips were lines recorded for either Layton 6 or the crossover, that were eventually cut from the game?

Top Bottom