• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Planet Earth Thread - Our Planet is Breathtakingly Beautiful

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Didn't think stuff like this existed in the real world...
Hard to believe so much beauty is right in front of us.

Vampyroteuthis "Vampire Squid from Hell"

The vampire squid (Vampyroteuthis infernalis, lit. "vampire squid from 'Hell'") is a small, deep-sea cephalopod found throughout the temperate and tropical oceans of the world. Unique retractile sensory filaments justify the Vampire Squid's placement in its own order: Vampyromorphida (formerly Vampyromorpha), which shares similarities with both squid and octopuses. At a maximum 30 cm (1 ft) in total length, the vampire squid is no threat to humans. Its 15 cm (6 inch) gelatinous body varies in color between velvety jet-black and pale reddish, depending on location and lighting conditions. A webbing of skin connects its eight arms, each lined with rows of fleshy spines or cirri; the inside of this "cloak" is black.

Videos

Vampyroteuthis "vampire squid from hell" - Planet Earth

Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Gray Wolf

The gray wolf or grey wolf (Canis lupus), often known simply as the wolf, is the largest wild member of the Canidae family. It is an ice age survivor originating during the Late Pleistocene around 300,000 years ago. DNA sequencing and genetic drift studies reaffirm that the gray wolf shares a common ancestry with the domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris). Although certain aspects of this conclusion have been questioned, the main body of evidence confirms it. A number of other gray wolf subspecies have been identified, though the actual number of subspecies is still open to discussion. Gray wolves are typically apex predators in the ecosystems they occupy.

Video

Amazing footage of a wolf hunting caribou

Grandeza

Smash Master
Emperor Penguin

The Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri) is the tallest and heaviest of all living penguin species and is endemic to Antarctica. The male and female are similar in plumage and size, reaching 122 cm (48 in) in height and weighing anywhere from 22 to 45 kg (49 to 99 lb). The dorsal side and head are black and sharply delineated from the white belly, pale-yellow breast and bright-yellow ear patches. Like all penguins it is flightless, with a streamlined body, and wings stiffened and flattened into flippers for a marine habitat.

Chipmunk

Well they're clearly the most adorable animals ever. Chipmunks are small squirrel-like rodents of the genus Tamias. They are native to North America and Asia.

Geist

Smash Master
lol Chipmunk <3

Rumbling Falls Cave, Tennessee

A cave formation that snakes 15 Km underneath the Falls Creek Falls State park in Tennessee. The main room dubbed "the rumble room" is 200 feet high, ranking it in the top 5 largest cave chambers in the US. It is only 1 of 1900 caves located in Tennessee.

Nazca Lines - Nazca Pampa, Peru

One of the ancient unsolved mysteries of the world, these gigantic geoglyphs are thought to have been created between 200 B.C. and 700 A.D. There are hundreds of Nazca glyphs, some of them reaching 200 meters across.
They're thought to have been monuments worshiping the Nazca's Gods.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
lol at that chipmunk. Imagine being the first person to explore those caves...would feel like some Metroid mission. Incredible.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Yeah, some just die along the way when they migrate, Plus, they reproduce faster than other rodents, so there would be a larger number of them dying along the way.

That sketch was still funny, though.

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice

I'm scared
Sorry I stretched the page, hope nobody minds. I can fix it otherwise.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
THE ROAD:

A lot of this thread is spent on specifics, but let's stop for a second and take a look at the ordinary, those unnamed places that lie inbewteen here and our desination. There is beauty a bound in this world.

Geist

Smash Master
You know, that whole lemmings suicide thing started in the 50s when someone thought it would be funny to make a documentary by launching lemmings off a cliff and video tape it. :[
Also that's a pretty legit post Crashic

@lurker guy, cool pics, but can you fix your post? >_<

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You know, that whole lemmings suicide thing started in the 50s when someone thought it would be funny to make a documentary by launching lemmings off a cliff and video tape it. :[
Also that's a pretty legit post Crashic

@lurker guy, cool pics, but can you fix your post? >_<
But you gotta admit, the idea of launching these things off is pretty funny :laugh:

Geist

Smash Master
But you gotta admit, the idea of launching these things off is pretty funny :laugh:
It's a bit funnier when you realize that it was Disney who did it IIRC.
Yay moral zeitgeist

Oh, and thanks Lurker guy lol
my laptop screen resolution is low, so my page stretched on like forever D:

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Looking at this thread makes me wonder why those people committed suicide after watching Avatar and thought Earth was boring and meaningless. (Unless they thought it was their life and not Earth that was boring.) I feel like I'm stepping into a Pandora of our own just looking at these.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Some great photos Crashic, but could you resize the images? You're right that everyday scenes are just as amazing though.

I'll add more tonight.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Wow, man.

Just goes to show you how ignorant and unappreciative people are.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
A little off topic,but did you know that Tommy(aka the green/white range) is now an MMA fighter Lurker guy?

I love this thread. :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
WHAT. WE NEED CAPTAIN PLANETTTTTTTTTTTTT

caps

Kole

Smash Lord
Everything single one of these pictures took my breath away..wow

Kole

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen the "Where the Hell is Matt?" videos on YouTube? They're not completely about nature, but they're definitely worth checking out. Some of the places he went are really outstanding.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Amazing images guys, keep em coming.

A little off topic,but did you know that Tommy(aka the green/white range) is now an MMA fighter Lurker guy?

I love this thread. :)
Hahahhaha that's awesome. Nostalgia, gotta watch one of his fights.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I thought I'd post one of the greatest animals that ever lived:

The cockroach. Can survive a nuclear holocaust and can gross all those girls with cooties out :p

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Sorry I stopped with this, I'll get back to it when I find the enthusiasm lol.

Just a bit advice, resizing images so they don't stretch the page is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom