• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Planet Earth Thread - Our Planet is Breathtakingly Beautiful

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Too often we are exposed to the negative aspects of Earth, the over population, the crime, the wars. Wrapped up in our ever growing cities we can easily forget the unparalleled beauty of nature and our infatuation with technology often leads to an alienation from the world around us.

This thread is a reminder that our planet is infinitely more amazing than any piece of technology. When I look at pictures like these I just want to leave everything behind and just explore the world. Hopefully one day...

Enjoy...

US Meteor Crater

Meteor Crater is located in the northern region of the Arizona desert, United States. Approximately 45 miles easy of Flagstaff this massive crater is the handy work of a 50 meter wide meteorite that broke the atmosphere and smashed into our planet sometime around 50, 000 years ago. Although now a desert, this area was once grassy plains dotted with woodlands that ancient beasts like the wholly mammoth and ground sloths would have inhabited.

Great Dune of Pyla

When you think of sand dunes you mostly think of deserts, right? Well there are no deserts in Europe however the Great Dune of Pyla is indeed Europe’s largest sand dune. Located in France, the Great Dune of Pyla is a massive tourist attraction and a favorite spot of para gliders. The dune comes in from the coast with the steep side facing a forest, such a strange sight! Running along 3km of coastline the dune peaks of a height of around 100 meters and covers 500 meters from coast to forest, truly spectacular!

The Door to Hell

The Door to Hell is the only item on this list that has direct human involvement, however the creation of the Door to Hell certainly wasn’t the intended outcome. The Door to Hell is located in Turkmenistan, close to the town of Darvaza. The name ‘Door to Hell’ comes from the fact that this hole has been burning for over 35 years without stopping! The Door to Hell was initially discovered while drilling for gas deposits but the cavern caved in, took a lot of expensive equipment with it and filled with poisonous gas so it was decided the best course of action would be to burn the gas out – it has still yet to burn out.

Mount Roraima

Mount Roraima is a massive tabletop mountain that is found in Venezuela/Brazil/ Guyana. The side facing Brazil and the side facing Guyana are both vertical cliffs that reach 400 meters in height, whereas the side facing Venezuela is a steep incline and although steep it is accessible. This unique mountain boats a variety of plant life, much of it unique and also creates some of the largest and most spectacular waterfalls in the world.

Sigiriya

Is a giant complex situated in the middle of Sri Lanka, it is roughly 370 meters above sea level and visible in all directions. It contains an ancient fortress, gardens, pools, and a gigantic mirror wall, which was once a polished porcelain type wall that was so reflective the King who ordered its creation could see himself in it.

The lions paws entrance.

Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia

Also known as the worlds largest mirror, the Salar de Uyuni is the worlds largest expansive salt flat (25x the size of the Bonneville Flats in Utah) containing over 60% of the planets lithium reserves. It is hard to tell where the earth ends and where the heavens begin in this massive place that is easily seen from space and where the worlds satellites calibrate themselves. Dotted by volcanoes, natural hot springs, flamingos, multi colored lagoons, and incredible views has had the Salar de Uyuni be described as different planet here on earth. The area was part of a prehistoric lake, underneath the Salar is a lake of brine covered by a solid salt crust several meters thick.

Great Blue Hole

The Great Blue Hole is a large underwater sinkhole off the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef, a small atoll 100 kilometres (62 mi) from the mainland and Belize City. The hole is circular in shape, over 300 metres (984 ft) across and 125 metres (410 ft) deep.[1] It was formed as a limestone cave system during the last glacial period when sea levels were much lower. As the ocean began to rise again, the caves flooded, and the roof collapsed.[2] Believed to be the world’s largest feature of its kind, the Great Blue Hole is part of the larger Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System, a World Heritage Site of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

Bay of Fundy, Canada

The Bay of Fundy is reknown for having the highest tides on the planet (16.2 metres or 53 feet). One hundred billion tonnes of sea water flows in and out of the Bay of Fundy twice daily – more water than the combined flow of all the world’s fresh water rivers. Fundy’s extreme tides create a dynamic and diverse marine ecosystem.
The Bay is reknown for its coastal rock formations, extreme tidal effects (vertical, horizontal, rapids and bores) and sustainable coastal development. It is also a critical international feeding ground for migratory birds, a vibrant habitat for rare and endangered Right whales, one of the world’s most significant plant and animal fossil discovery regions.

Hells of Beppu, Japan

Beppu, located on the Japanese island of Kyushu, is the second largest producer of geothermal water in the world. Described as an apocalyptic place, by writers in the Edo Period, where gruesome scenes of torture through boiling took place. With steam coming out through every available crack, Beppu seems like a city that’s cooking over an open flame. The nine hells are named after 9 geothermal hot-spots, known as jigoku (hell) Named because of their resemblance to the Buddhist vision of hell, each of these nine ponds has its own special feature.

Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu was built around 1450, at the height of the Inca Empire. It was abandoned just over 100 years later, in 1572, as a belated result of the Spanish Conquest. It is likely that most of its inhabitants were wiped out by smallpox before the Spanish conquistadores arrived in the area, and it appears that they were aware of a place called Piccho although there is no record of the Spanish having visited the remote city. The Conquistadors defaced sacred rocks in other locations but they are untouched at Machu Picchu.

Angel Falls

It is the world's highest waterfall, with a height of 1,054 m (3,458 ft) and a plunge of 807 m (2,648 ft). The waterfall drops over the edge of the Auyantepui mountain in the Canaima National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site in the Gran Sabana region of Bolívar State, Venezuela. The height of the fall is so great that before getting anywhere near the ground, much of the water is evaporated or carried away as a fine mist by the strong wind. The base of the falls feeds into the Kerep River (alternatively known as the Río Gauya), which flows into the Churun River, a tributary of the Carrao River.

Feel free to add on...

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Those are all pretty **** amazing man.

MASSIVE MASSIVE thumbs up to this thread.

Ill contribute one or two to this thread.Starting with one from Ireland.

Giant's Causeway.

The Giant's Causeway is an area of about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic eruption. It is located in County Antrim, on the northeast coast of Northern Ireland, about two miles (3 km) north of the town of Bushmills.The tops of the columns form stepping stones that lead from the cliff foot and disappear under the sea. Most of the columns are hexagonal, although there are also some with four, five, seven and eight sides. The tallest are about 12 metres (36 ft) high, and the solidified lava in the cliffs is 28 metres thick in places.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Wow those are some incredible places, thanks for posting the pics and info.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've heard of most of these places, but Mount Roraima was new to me and boy have I found my new favorite location. I will travel there someday. Thanks a million!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mount Roraima... I'd love to visit that place someday. That picture of the Giant's Causeway when it's all foggy looks really cool too :)

Heard of most of these before, but all of them are still awesome.

Pikaville

Naica Mine(Cave of crystals)

The Naica Mine of the Mexican state of Chihuahua is a working mine that is known for its extraordinary selenite crystals. Located in Naica in the municipality of Saucillo, Naica is a lead, zinc and silver mine in which large voids have been found, containing crystals of selenite (gypsum) as large as 4 feet (1.2 m) in diameter and 36 feet (11 m) long.The Cave of Crystals (Cueva de los Cristales) is a chamber approximately 1,000 feet (300 m) down in the limestone host rock of the mine. The chamber contains giant selenite crystals, some of the largest natural crystals ever found.The selenite crystals were formed by hydrothermal fluids emanating from the magma chambers below. The cavern was discovered while the miners were drilling through the Naica fault, which they were worried would flood the mine.

I think this place looks truly magical.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Mind is blown.

Seriously amazing photograph and locations. Very inspiring.

Mount Roraima is just wow, the photo where it's above the clouds looks like something out of a movie.
Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia, the largest mirror, so need to see that, as well as the Great Blue Hole.
Excellent thread

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Is thread limited to locations or just anything related to nature?
Nope, anything nature related is cool. I was trying to find some info about the flooding that occurs in Africa. Some beautiful scenes with the wildlife. My only advice is to limit events or locations that are influenced by man.

I'll add more tonight.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Just yesterday, it was raining. When it was over I decided to look outside for a while. I saw some beautiful clouds and had to get pictures. I also saw some beautiful clouds while flying back from Animazement. I'm sure there are much more beautiful cloud formations, but I like the ones I have. I haven't uploaded them yet.

EDIT: Stonehenge looks pretty cool too.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Stonehenge_Wide_Angle.jpg
Left it in link because it stretches the page.

UberMario

Smash Master
Gorgeous! I never knew about "The Door to Hell". I'm suprised there's enough fuel to keep that alive for so long.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Table Mountain

Table Mountain is a flat-topped mountain forming a prominent landmark overlooking the city of Cape Town in South Africa, and is featured in the flag of Cape Town and other local government insignia. The main feature of Table Mountain is a level plateau approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) from side to side, surrounded by steep cliffs. The plateau, flanked by Devil's Peak to the east and by Lion's Head to the west, forms a dramatic backdrop to Cape Town and its Table Bay harbour, and together with Signal Hill form the natural amphitheatre of the City Bowl.

Lenticular clouds

Lenticular clouds are stationary lens-shaped clouds that form at high altitudes, normally aligned perpendicular to the wind direction. Where stable moist air flows over a mountain or a range of mountains, a series of large-scale standing waves may form on the downwind side. If the temperature at the crest of the wave drops to the dew point, moisture in the air may condense to form lenticular clouds.

The Snow Leopard

The snow leopard (Uncia uncia) is a moderately large cat native to the mountain ranges of Central and South Asia. The classification of this species has been subject to change and its exact taxonomic position will not be resolved until further studies are conducted. Snow leopards live between 3,000 and 5,500 metres (9,800 and 18,000 ft) above sea level in the rocky mountain ranges of Central Asia. However, their secretive nature means that their exact numbers are not known, although it has been estimated that between 3,500 and 7,000 snow leopards exist in the wild and between 600 and 700 in zoos worldwide

Video

Really great footage of a snow leopard hunting

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
WOW. That snow leopard hunting vid is crazy. Wow @ the level of danger, running down rocky mountainsides is too good. The goat's escape was impressive too.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Hamilton Pool

Hamilton Pool Preserve is a natural pool that was created when the dome of an underground river collapsed due to massive erosion thousands of years ago. The pool is located about 23 miles (37 km) west of Austin, Texas off Highway 71 and supports recreational opportunities such as picnicking, hiking, swimming and nature study. One of the most outstanding features of the pool is its 45 foot (14 m) waterfall that spills from the dome above. The preserve is home to some small fish and turtles, which are protected by strict regulation.

The Great Feast - Bait Balls

Schools of small fish cruise near the ocean's surface, feeding on plankton and other organic foodstuff. This schooling behavior evolved as a means of protection. This instinctual behaviour is a defense mechanism, as lone individuals are more likely to be eaten than large groups. These bait balls can be 10–20 metres in diameter and extend to a depth of 10 metres. The bait balls are short lived and seldom last longer than 10 minutes.

Dolphins are largely responsible for rounding up the sardines into bait balls. Once the sardines are rounded up, sharks, game fish, king mackerel, various kingfish species, garrick, and birds (like the Cape gannet, cormorants, terns and gulls) take advantage of the opportunity.

Videos

Bait Ball Feast - Nature's Great Events

Bluefin Tuna Eat Bait Ball

Humpback Whales forming Bait Balls

Chamarel, Mauritius - Seven Coloured Earth and Chamarel Falls

The village of Chamarel in southwest Mauritius is home to two natural wonders - the magnificant Chamarel Falls and the colored earths of Chamarel. The earths are particularly unsual; created by volcanic rocks that cooled at different temperatures, the earths form beautiful patterns of color in the exposed hillsides. And if you mix the colored earth together, they'll eventually settle into separate layers.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Beautiful pictures.

N9NE, I've reached the conclusion you're one of my favourite posters in existance.

This thread is going places.

Geist

Smash Master
I want to contribute one too :]

Sequoia National Park

Home of the largest living things on Earth, the giant sequoias, located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. The trees only grow in this place, and no where else on Earth (naturally) and they can live to thousands of years old. A genetic mutations allows the trees to literally never stop growing, and the leading cause of Sequoia death is falling from their own sheer weight.
General Sherman is the largest, at over 270 feet tall and 104 feet wide at its base.

(pictured - relatively small sequoias)

The area itself is extremely diverse, ranging from lake filled valleys, to thousand foot high foothills, and broad fields. There are thousands of cave formations throughout the mountains, and multiple rivers also flow through the area.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I want to go to Hamilton pool. :o

Killer Whale

"The killer whale (Orcinus orca), commonly referred to as the orca – and, less commonly, blackfish – is the largest species of the oceanic dolphin family. They are found in all of the world's oceans, from the frigid Arctic and Antarctic regions to tropical seas. Killer whales as a species have a diverse diet, although populations often specialize in particular types of prey. Some feed exclusively on fish, while other populations hunt marine mammals such as sea lions, seals, walruses and even large whales. Killer whales are regarded as apex predators as they have no natural predators."

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
^^^ Love Killer Whales.

WHOA!

Those bait ball vids are incredible, especially that first one by BBC.
BBC nature and especially David Attenborough documentaries >>>

Check the shark vid...

Palau

Palau, officially Republic of Palau (Palauan: Beluu er a Belau), is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean, some 500 miles (800 km) east of the Philippines and 2,000 miles (3,200 km) south of Tokyo. Having emerged from United Nations trusteeship (administered by the United States) in 1994, it is one of the world's youngest and smallest sovereign states. In English, the name is sometimes spelled Belau in accordance with the native pronunciation. It was formerly also spelled Pelew

Great White Shark

The great white shark, Carcharodon carcharias, also known as great white, white pointer, white shark, or white death, is a large lamniform shark found in coastal surface waters in all major oceans. The great white shark is very well known for its size, with the largest individuals known to have approached or exceeded 6 metres (20 ft) in length and 2,240 kilograms (4,938 lb) in weight.[3] It reaches maturity at around 15 years of age and can have a life span of over 30 years. The great white shark is arguably the world's largest known extant macropredatory fish and is one of the primary predators of marine mammals. It is also known to prey upon a variety of other marine animals including fish, pinnipeds, and seabirds.

Video

Amazing footage of a Great White attacking seals

Pikaville

Anyone who hasn't seen "Planet Earth" or "Life" need to get on it.David Attenborough is the best nature narrator there ever will be.

The camera work in those is second to none too.(Lizard chasing rodent through the tiny paths in the desert springs to mind immediately)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Anyone who hasn't seen "Planet Earth" or "Life" need to get on it.David Attenborough is the best nature narrator there ever will be.

The camera work in those is second to none too.(Lizard chasing rodent through the tiny paths in the desert springs to mind immediately)
I wanted to buy it but the blu-ray is like $80. :c

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The Life and Planet Earth documentaries are worth it.

Iguazu Falls

Iguazu Falls, are waterfalls of the Iguazu River located on the border of the Brazilian state of Paraná and the Argentine province of Misiones. The falls divide the river into the upper and lower Iguazu. Legend has it that a god planned to marry a beautiful aborigine named Naipí, who fled with her mortal lover Tarobá in a canoe. In rage, the god sliced the river creating the waterfalls, condemning the lovers to an eternal fall.

Pamukkale

Pamukkale, meaning "cotton castle" in Turkish, is a natural site in Denizli Province in south-western Turkey. The city contains hot springs and travertines, terraces of carbonate minerals left by the flowing water. It is located in Turkey's Inner Aegean region, in the River Menderes valley, which has a temperate climate for most of the year. The ancient city of Hierapolis was built on top of the white "castle" which is in total about 2,700 metres (8,860 ft) long, 600 m (1,970 ft) wide and 160 m (525 ft) high. It can be seen from the hills on the opposite side of the valley in the town of Denizli, 20 km away.

Turnip Rock

One of the little-known wonders of Huron County, Turnip Rock stands off the the rocky shores of Lake Huron, near Michigan's thumbnail. This place is charming and unbelievably beautiful. The land around Turnip Rock is privately owned, so the only way to reach it is by boat.

Leopard Seals

The Leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx) is the second largest species of seal in the Antarctic (after the Southern Elephant Seal). It is most common in the southern hemisphere along the coast of Antarctica and on most sub-Antarctic islands, but can also be found on the coasts of southern Australia, Tasmania, South Africa, New Zealand, Lord Howe Island, Tierra del Fuego, the Cook Islands, and the Atlantic coast of South America. It can live twenty-six years, possibly more. Orcas and large sharks are the only natural predators of leopard seals.

Videos

Emperor Penguins v Leopard Seal - Blue Planet - BBC Earth

Face-Off With a Deadly Predator

The Azure Window, Malta

The Azure Window (Maltese: Tieqa Żerqa) is a natural arch in the Maltese island of Gozo featuring a table-like rock over the sea. The Inland Sea, Gozo, and Dwejra Bay, were created millions of years ago when two limestone caves collapsed. This and the near by Blue Hole and Inland sea are popular scuba diving sites.

The Immortal Bridge, China

On the steep slopes of Mt Tai in China’s Shandong province, you’ll find the Immortal Bridge. Hopefully you won’t be forced to cross it on the way to complete your journey. Looking like a scene from an Indiana Jones flick, the Immortal Bridge is formed from massive stone blocks precariously balanced against one another.

Pont d'Arc, France

The Pont d'Arc is a great natural bridge, located in the Ardèche département in the south of France, near the town of Vallon-Pont-d'Arc. In the south of France, the river Ardèche has worn through an escarpment of ancient limestone forming the Pont d’Arc. The bridge has a width of 60 m and a height of 45 m and was carved out by the Ardèche River. It is a very popular canoeing and kayaking area and is heavily visited by tourists.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
This thread is hot, I love N9NE for making it.

The leopard seals caught me off guard, lol. We were all like ****!

I haven't heard of most of these places, thanks for bringing it to me :)

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
N9NE <3
Iguazu Falls, just breathtaking, I could imagine myself meditating with the sound of of the crashing water.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Wow where are you guys getting these insanely high quality images?
I took most of the pictures myself...

nah lol Google.

Puerto Princesa Underground River, Philippines

The Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park (PPSRNP) is one of the most distinguished biodiversity conservation areas of the Philippines. It is known lush old growth tropical forest, interesting wildlife, pristine white sand beaches and unspoiled natural beauty. It features spectacular limestone formation that contains an Underground River that is reputed to be the longest navigable underground river in the World. It is one of the few such rivers which the public can easily experience and appreciate.

Gruta do Lago Azul, Brazil

Mato Grosso do Sul region in Brazil (and especially the quiet town of Bonito) boasts many marvelous underground lakes: Gruta do Lago Azul, Gruta do Mimoso, Aquário Natural. The world famous "Gruta do Lago Azul” (Blue Lake Cave) in Brazil is a natural monument whose interior is formed by stalactites, stalagmites and a huge and wonderful Blue lake. The beauty of the lake is something impressive. The blue Lake Cave has a big variety of geological formation but impresses mainly for the deep blue colored water of its inside lake.

Antelope Canyon, Arizona

Antelope Canyon is the most-visited and most-photographed slot canyon in the American Southwest. It is located on Navajo land near Page, Arizona. Antelope Canyon includes two separate, photogenic slot canyon sections, referred to individually as Upper Antelope Canyon or The Crack; and Lower Antelope Canyon or The Corkscrew. Antelope Canyon was formed by erosion of Navajo Sandstone, primarily due to flash flooding and secondarily due to other sub-aerial processes. Rainwater, especially during monsoon season, runs into the extensive basin above the slot canyon sections, picking up speed and sand as it rushes into the narrow passageways. Over time the passageways are eroded away, making the corridors deeper and smoothing hard edges in such a way as to form characteristic 'flowing' shapes in the rock. Flooding in the canyon still occurs. A flood occurred on October 30, 2006 that lasted 36 hours, and caused the Tribal Park Authorities to close Lower Antelope Canyon for five months.

Havasu Falls, Arizona

Havasu Falls is paradise on Earth. This is an absolutely amazingly beautiful waterfall located in a remote canyon of Arizona. It takes a good deal of effort to get there, but the reward is worth it. It was even more beautiful than we could have imagined (and we had seen plenty of pictures of the waterfall beforehand - hence the reason we wanted to go there in the first place). If you go to Havasu Falls, you will no doubt think you are somewhere in Hawaii. It is an oasis in arid Arizona.

Top Bottom