• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm actually 90% sure Dixie will be a playable character in the next smash game. Just a hunch but I wouldn't be surprised at all!!
I think she has a good chance of being in. She was planned for Brawl.

I think she might be among the last characters added into Smash 4 if she makes it in.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who wants her more than K. Rool...? She's way more relevant than K. Rool as well.
No. I haven't played a game with him in at all but I loved Tropical Freeze so that's probably why. But K. Rool I'd be happy to see make it. I think Dixie is the more likely of the two personally.

Anyway, Dixie is one of my most wanted characters to see in Smash. I support.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Am I the only one who wants her more than K. Rool...? She's way more relevant than K. Rool as well.
You're not the only one. I also want Dixie more than K. Rool. However, I do support K. Rool. I feel that the game needs both of them to complete the representation of the DK games.

andimidna

Smash Master
Actually I-
You're not the only one. I also want Dixie more than K. Rool. However, I do support K. Rool. I feel that the game needs both of them to complete the representation of the DK games.
Well, this is almost word-for-word how I was going to respond to the post.
This.
Both is by far the ideal outcome (for me at least)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Okay everyone, with E3 right up the block I'm gonna start posting my moveset drawings for Dixie. The hype from whatever Sakurai has in store will make us forget about some things entirely, and I wanna get these ideas out before we all stop caring about hypothetical attacks. So, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.

Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.
[Collapse=Forward Tilt]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Two more days. E3's almost here!

Up Tilt

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash (COMING SOON).

The move's not too hard to get around; just roll/dodge/avoid at the right moments and you'll have plenty of time to attack. Whaddya think?

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Ok I'm going to ask you guys one thing: I know that Dixie would play differently, but in terms of representation what does she bring that Diddy doesn't already? Lots of franchises in nintendo can be summed up into 3 categories: Hero, Sidekick and Villain. Some also have player 2. I understand that in one game ( I think DKC2?) Dixie was player 2, but she is much better known for her sidekick status. However, King. K Rool represents the villain category. Why is Dixie more deserving?

andimidna

Smash Master
Ok I'm going to ask you guys one thing: I know that Dixie would play differently, but in terms of representation what does she bring that Diddy doesn't already? Lots of franchises in nintendo can be summed up into 3 categories: Hero, Sidekick and Villain. Some also have player 2. I understand that in one game ( I think DKC2?) Dixie was player 2, but she is much better known for her sidekick status. However, King. K Rool represents the villain category. Why is Dixie more deserving?
The real question is: Why is DK not deserving of 4 characters. Look at the sales and popularity and requests, DK has earned 4, and she's the 4th. (K Rool is the 3rd)

jigglover

Smash Lord
The real question is: Why is DK not deserving of 4 characters. Look at the sales and popularity and requests, DK has earned 4, and she's the 4th. (K Rool is the 3rd)
While I agree that DK deserves 4 reps, there were many people who claimed in this thread that. Dixie was more deserving or that she was more likely and I just wanted to ask them why. beaides, we have to try and consider a worst case scenario here, because by popularity and sales etc. Yoshi should have at least 3 reps by now, and we all know that that isn't happening any time soon. Sakurai is funny with his adding reps, and. I definitely think that the Dk franchise will only have 3 reps this game.

Edit: Besides, Paula could be the 2nd rep, as she represents the damsel of the series.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Except the Yoshi series doesn't really have a cast. Donkey Kong does.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Except the Yoshi series doesn't really have a cast. Donkey Kong does.
I disagree. It has Kamek for a villain, but who was recently disconfirmed, and the whole cast of babies to choose from (Baby Luigi being the damsel). It also has some sidekicks such as Poochy, as well as Baby Bowser being another villain.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No offense, but I find funny that apparently it is okay for Fire Emblem (a franchise that most people didn't care about until Awakening) to have 4 reps, but the same isn't okay for Donkey Kong, a franchise that is widely loved since the 90s. I mean, if Kirby can get Dedede and Meta Knight in Brawl, DK can get K. Rool and Dixie in Sm4sh. I won't lie, I don't think Dixie bring much to the roster (in terms of uniqueness, etc), but that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a spot, imo. Once again, I will compare this situation with Fire Emblem: Chrom brings nothing to Smash either, but a lot of people want him. It is the same for Dixie.

Either way, I don't think she has much chances anymore, as much as I would love to see Dixie in the game.

Last edited:

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Come on, Dixie still has a chance! I think we may have a better inkling come Tuesday. I'm hoping for the best. Dixie is one of the most iconic Nintendo character not in the game, in my opinion. It's time she gets included!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd say Dixie fills a role formed by Sheik and perhaps Rosalina. Not the hero or the villain but the female heroine. The Mario, Starfox and Zelda series have the usual roles but there's exceptions in some of those series as well as Kirby's. Like Rosalina and Sheik she's relatively new to her series and as a female character she's not a damsel in distress but not quite the sidekick. They're as capable as the main heroes but appear occasionally and bring something different to the table.

DK, Diddy and Dixie are heroes, but DK is moreso the hero while Diddy usually is the sidekick. Dixie can fill the role but its Diddy's by default; she's more like the Dark Horse. K. Rool however does embody the villain category and thus I say he's more important. Both deserve to be playable; there's enough room for them and the series has the popularity.

And about the Yoshi series, the problem with that is its deeply rooted in Mario's in terms of characters. Most candidates are alternate versions of exiting fighters.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
What I don't really understand is why we can't have 4 dk reps. DKC is popular enough to deserve 4 character slots

Also, Supporting Dixie kong

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Dixie Kong was Player 2 in DKC2, but In DKC3, Dixie was Player 1. I'm of the mindset that both Dixie and King K. Rool should be in.

Like Rosalina and Sheik she's relatively new to her series.
Correction: Donkey Kong Country Came out in 1994, and Dixie made her debut in 1995. She's been around for almost 19 years, which is only a year less than Diddy. Dixie is not relatively new, especially when you compare her to Rosalina, who didn't come around until 2007.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I really like these ideas for a Dixie moveset. I definitely imagine her attacking with her ponytail, like, 70% of the time at least.

Yeah, Dixie is nothing new, she's a rather old character. Which is why she deserves inclusion, I think she should be considered an All-Star by now. And isn't the purpose of SSB to gather all nintendo stars so they can duke it out ? Sometimes, I feel the series kind of drifts apart from its original purpose, but oh well... Here's to hoping Dixie makes it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yes, Dixie Kong was Player 2 in DKC2, but In DKC3, Dixie was Player 1. I'm of the mindset that both Dixie and King K. Rool should be in.

Correction: Donkey Kong Country Came out in 1994, and Dixie made her debut in 1995. She's been around for almost 19 years, which is only a year less than Diddy. Dixie is not relatively new, especially when you compare her to Rosalina, who didn't come around until 2007.
She's new in relation to the others in her series, not Nintendo's overall history. Out of DK, Diddy, K.Rool and Dixie, Dixie's the newest. Same goes for Rosalina when grouping her with The Bros, Peach and Bowser. Sheik's a bit of an exception thanks to Toon Link, but when lined up with Link, Zelda and Ganondorf she's more on the new side, therefore like the other characters I said relatively new. Not completely new, but somewhat.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
She's new in relation to the others in her series, not Nintendo's overall history. Out of DK, Diddy, K.Rool and Dixie, Dixie's the newest. Same goes for Rosalina when grouping her with The Bros, Peach and Bowser. Sheik's a bit of an exception thanks to Toon Link, but when lined up with Link, Zelda and Ganondorf she's more on the new side, therefore like the other characters I said relatively new. Not completely new, but somewhat.
Lol, she's the newest... by ONE game.

Honestly, I support both Dixie and K. Rool. I've ALWAYS supported K. Rool over Dixie, and I still do. But ideally, I'd like both, and I don't think Dixie will be completely out. If anything, Dixie probably has a low priority and would be a late character to the game. I do think she'd bring a lot to Smash Bros., though, and with Donkey, Diddy, K. Rool, and Dixie, that completely rounds out the DK cast.

I think DK has more than proven itself to get 4 slots. I can't really see DK ever topping four because if we get these four, that's basically the entire DK main cast. Cranky's charm is being an old crank who yells at the players that he can do better than them.

I've long suspected that Dixie would have a higher chance of making it in before K. Rool because she appeared in the most recent game, Tropical Freeze, until the Smash Direct that is. Now I think K. Rool will get in first, but I won't count Dixie out yet. The past two games at least two franchises got two new characters, the same could happen here. (I could also see Fire Emblem getting four, but it should be noted that FE doesn't sell the best; DK games I think sell way better).

So, yeah, sign me up, just keep in mind that I do want K. Rool first (but Dixie is and always will be my favorite Donkey Kong character).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Dixie is one of my most wanted characters and I wanted to drop by just before E3!
My idea for a moveset is that she can change momentum, like R.O.B's back aerial.
That way she can change the tempo of the fight by either floating slowly or pinballing over the whole stage.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Dixie may be newer than Diddy and King K. Rool by one measly year, but saying she is relatively new to the DK franchise based on that is still kind of silly since there is a pretty extensive list of playable Kongs that came after her, three of which are directly related to Dixie. She's kind of an important link in the Kong family tree.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
just keep in mind that I do want K. Rool first (but Dixie is and always will be my favorite Donkey Kong character).
Do you honestly think anyone cares?

Dixie may be newer than Diddy and King K. Rool by one measly year, but saying she is relatively new to the DK franchise based on that is still kind of silly since there is a pretty extensive list of playable Kongs that came after her, three of which are directly related to Dixie. She's kind of an important link in the Kong family tree.
And out of that extensive list of playable Kongs who has the biggest shot of being confirmed? Chunky perhaps? Dixie does, and compared to DK, Diddy and K.Rool she's relatively new. You can make the case that Sheik or Toon Link isn't new to the Zelda series, but compared to those playable in Smash from the same series they are.

Furthermore, if you disagree with my reasoning, feel free to give jigglover a solid answer as to what role Dixie fills in the series.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
So, after all that Gematsu thing, you guys expect a secret DK newcomer?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I still have hopes, though I think it will be K. Rool if anyone. At this point, with Gematsu looking likely legit in my eyes and Sakurai confirming in the Q&A yesterday that the roster was decided towards the beginning of development, I'm taking a stance on Dixie that I had on Rosalina before her reveal. I really want Dixie to be in, but I don't expect her. If she doesn't make it in, hopefully the DLC aspect that the Gematsu leak described this week is true. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra cash to play as my most-wanted newcomer, and Dixie would be the perfect candidate for DLC.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Doesn't matter, I still expect a DK newcomer. Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem are both getting newcomers, yet the DK comeback was way better and far more profitable than both.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I don't like this thread being so inactive :(

I still think we will see a DK newcomer (should be 2 newcomers) I think we should ignore the leak.
The only thing I see is that it kills a lot of hype for many possible characters and their supporters.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have full confidence thqt Dixie is in, I had a good feeling about Shulk before he was leaked by Gematsu, I feel it will be the same Dixie, Tropical Freeze does benefit her chances IMO.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have full confidence thqt Dixie is in, I had a good feeling about Shulk before he was leaked by Gematsu, I feel it will be the same Dixie, Tropical Freeze does benefit her chances IMO.
Does it really, though? I mean, we're seeing quite a bit of Smash now, and there seems to be no indication that Tropical Freeze has any content in this game. Any Donkey Kong content we've seen so far comes from older games. Simply based on what we've seen, it looks like Tropical Freeze may have been too recent to have any sort of impact on Smash, or its roster.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I like K. Rool, but deep down I always thought Dixie Kong had a better chance than him because of her playable character status and being a female, two things that seem to pique Sakurai's interest the most.

I don't know why everyone's so pessimistic about her, because she could easily be a low-priority unlockable newcomer. If Sakurai realized that DK needed another third rep because of its recent popularity during this game's late development, then he will probably put Dixie in because of her similarities with Diddy.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Does it really, though? I mean, we're seeing quite a bit of Smash now, and there seems to be no indication that Tropical Freeze has any content in this game. Any Donkey Kong content we've seen so far comes from older games. Simply based on what we've seen, it looks like Tropical Freeze may have been too recent to have any sort of impact on Smash, or its roster.
To be fair though, we've seen very little Donkey Kong anything so far. Just the two playable characters, the smash run enemies, and the old stage, if I recall. There really isn't that much to go off.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I suppose its possible we might get a Tropical Freeze stage. Perhaps they were aware TF was coming out and they wanted to make a Wii U stage for it, while the 3DS will have a Returns stage. Don't find it too likely, but it might work. Which is also why we haven't seen much DK yet; they had to design the stage and it took a while to touch it up (granted its definitely ready by now).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
To be fair though, we've seen very little Donkey Kong anything so far. Just the two playable characters, the smash run enemies, and the old stage, if I recall. There really isn't that much to go off.
It would also seem like there's a Chunky Kong Assist Trophy.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
It would also seem like there's a Chunky Kong Assist Trophy.
Good point. I think a Chunky AT increases Dixie's chances, rather than hurts it. It also increases K. Rools. But thinking about it, Krool has a chance to be a stage boss. If Dixie is going to represented in this game (other than Stickers and Trophies) she would be an AT or playable character. I may be grasping at straws...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There is no proof. As far as we know, this Chunky Kong AT thing could be bs. Though I see no reason for the user to lie about a Chunky Kong AT, of all things.

Top Bottom