• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
It occours to me the Kriby, Star Fox and Donkey Kong series have all had a lack of things revealed for them so far. I wonder if anythign bigger is in store for them.

Though what would Dixie's hook be? All newcomers have had something unique, bar Lucy, so what would this chimp bring to the table?
I think mostly all series have had a lack of things revealed for them except Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and to a lesser extent, Metriod. And so far the series who got newcomers have been Mario, Kid Icarus, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. I hope they are just holding off the stuff so they can reveal it with Dixie or something, but the more stuff that is shown seems to lead to newcomers unfortunately.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing with Kirby and Star Fox is that, a reveal for them could show off other veterans. If DK gets an announcement, there are NO veteran DK characters that can get announced alongside them. Metaknight, Falco, and Wolf can easily get announced alongside the Kirby/Star Fox stages that are left. DK has no new stages whatsoever.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Cranky or Funky Kong playable instead of Dixie would be so stupid. lol And as ^ said, isn't Cranky already deconfirmed?
Funky got in over Dixie as the 'third Kong' for Mario Kart Wii. I'd prefer Dixie, she's my most wanted newcomer and would probably be my main if she did get in, but we have to be aware that Funky is a wildcard. Even though he's DK standing up with clothes, he's more distinct from DK than Dixie is to Diddy in terms of personality and moveset potential, and would offer something more unique than Dixie.

We have to remember that Dixie offers nothing unique to the game. Whether we like it or not, she's basically a female Diddy with the ponytail twirl, but that's basically DK's upb already. The only difference between what Dixie and Diddy offer mechanically in the main games is the ponytail vs the jetpack. They're basically the same mechanically in every other regard, except the Dixie is slower and holds barrels differently.

I think she might be an alt costume, the only thing that might have deterred Sakurai from making her an alt is she woudn't have her signature ponytail twirl.

I hope she gets in as a unique character though. All I ask of this game is that she gets in and has her twirl, guitar and bubblegum (hopefully with the popgun too). I don't care about anything else.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The thing with Kirby and Star Fox is that, a reveal for them could show off other veterans. If DK gets an announcement, there are NO veteran DK characters that can get announced alongside them. Metaknight, Falco, and Wolf can easily get announced alongside the Kirby/Star Fox stages that are left. DK has no new stages whatsoever.
But there does not have to be any Donkey Kong veterans for Dixie Kong to be revealed. Take any Nintendo character to work in the trailer.

For example, imagine Wario in the trailer who is just there to steal some of King K. Rool's pirate treasure, or just stealing the bananas to be a jerk.

It does make more sense for the character reveal to contain more veterans in their series representation, but the characters don't have to be from the same franchise.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But there does not have to be any Donkey Kong veterans for Dixie Kong to be revealed. Take any Nintendo character to work in the trailer.

For example, imagine Wario in the trailer who is just there to steal some of King K. Rool's pirate treasure, or just stealing the bananas to be a jerk.

It does make more sense for the character reveal to contain more veterans in their series representation, but the characters don't have to be from the same franchise.
...that's exactly my point. People keep suggesting possibilities of Star Fox or Kirby getting a new character announcement with a trailer featuring characters from those franchises. The fact is, though, that those franchises don't have all their veterans filled in yet. The DK franchise is at a huge advantage, because not only do we not have any new DK stages yet, there's no characters to announce alongside potential DK stages either. This is an ADVANTAGE for the DK franchise getting new reps, not a disadvantage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
...that's exactly my point. People keep suggesting possibilities of Star Fox or Kirby getting a new character announcement with a trailer featuring characters from those franchises. The fact is, though, that those franchises don't have all their veterans filled in yet. The DK franchise is at a huge advantage, because not only do we not have any new DK stages yet, there's no characters to announce alongside potential DK stages either. This is an ADVANTAGE for the DK franchise getting new reps, not a disadvantage.
Oh....I misread what point you were trying to get across. My bad.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thoroughly disagreed, @ Dre89 Dre89 Bringing up Mario Kart to justify character inclusions is silly, considering choices like Honey Queen, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach and Baby characters who were introduced in those games. Look at all the middleweights in MK Wii; they could've added Funky just to have another heavyweight racer.

We have to realize that Funky offers nothing unique to the game. You can literally give DK his clothes as an alt costume. Funky has literally done nothing but fly on the sidelines and nail K.Rool with a boot to the *** once in his entire series lifespan (after everyone else did the fighting); if we were to take that one instance and build a moveset out of it, we'd have a gun-toting fighter who uses gadgets, and ironically we have atleast 5 of those so far with the Space Animals, Snake and Samus. That would be nothing new.

Wait mybad, Mega Man makes 6.

And I have to ask. A character who has practically 3 arms would offer nothing new to the table? Not even a hint of grapple-based moves? More attack options then just her hands and feet? If Dixie's gonna be an alt then Funky will definitely have the same fate.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dixie's hair IS bringing something new to the table. That's an entirely new mechanic never-before-seen in a Smash Bros. game, and likely won't ever happen without Dixie (because let's face it, Bayoneta has no chance of being playable in Smash Bros).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well I hope they treat it as a new mechanic and not just as a substitute for Diddy's tail. If she gets in as a unique character I hope she holds/throws items with her hair. It annoys me that she doesn't throw items with her hair in TF, even though it's not really a big deal.

Also I'm not sure why people think DK will get 4 reps because FE got 4. Historically Nintendo hasn't been logical like that. DK has been out-repped by smaller franchises in both Melee and Brawl,so it doesn't follow that we'll equal FE's representation, even though we should really.

I suspect K. Rool is more likely than Dixie though. Not just because of the kremlins, but K. Rool would better explain why no new DK stages have been revealed. Dixie wouldn't really be confirmed by any particular stage reveal, whereas K. Rool would probably be hinted at by something like a Gangplank Galleon reveal.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well I hope they treat it as a new mechanic and not just as a substitute for Diddy's tail. If she gets in as a unique character I hope she holds/throws items with her hair. It annoys me that she doesn't throw items with her hair in TF, even though it's not really a big deal.

Also I'm not sure why people think DK will get 4 reps because FE got 4. Historically Nintendo hasn't been logical like that. DK has been out-repped by smaller franchises in both Melee and Brawl,so it doesn't follow that we'll equal FE's representation, even though we should really.

I suspect K. Rool is more likely than Dixie though. Not just because of the kremlins, but K. Rool would better explain why no new DK stages have been revealed. Dixie wouldn't really be confirmed by any particular stage reveal, whereas K. Rool would probably be hinted at by something like a Gangplank Galleon reveal.
The assumption is that DK's huge revival sparked the requirement to add two DK reps, and Dixie and K. Rool both were in before Lucina was even considered. Clones tend to be some of the last things added. Even then, Dixie could still be a late-game semiclone like Wolf, whom was quite original. Dixie would be original just replacing all Diddy's tail moves with her hair, as the mechanics and appearance would be completely different.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

TBH if they made her grab with her hair in TF she wouldn't be able to fly in the air.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Every time I see Dixie Kong I taste Bubble Gum.
That must mean she is in.
Guys. I figured it out.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
We have to remember that Dixie offers nothing unique to the game. Whether we like it or not, she's basically a female Diddy with the ponytail twirl, but that's basically DK's upb already. The only difference between what Dixie and Diddy offer mechanically in the main games is the ponytail vs the jetpack. They're basically the same mechanically in every other regard, except the Dixie is slower and holds barrels differently.
No offence but I really have to disagree with you here. While, I suppose they could be clones, I don't think it would make much sense. She is quite capable of being different from Diddy, it's not like Lucina and Marth where they literally have the same abilities and sword (albeit with different designs).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You can give any potential clone character an entirely unique moveset and say that they offer something unique. They could have done this with Lucina, or veterans like Toon Link, Falco and Luigi. What offering something unique to the game' really means is that a character has gameplay mechanics in their games that are different to what is already on offer in Smash.

The reason why these characters are clones or semi-clones (apart from just saving development time) is because they can't be made too unique without heavily deviating from how they play in their games. This is because they're very similar to who they've been cloned off in their games. For example, Toon Link could have wielded the skull hammer from Wind Waker instead of using his sword and prrojectiles. This would make him play completely differently, not only to adult Link but to the rest of the cast. The reason why they didn't do something like is because it wouldn't be reflective of how he played in his games.

Dixie is similar. Her only distinction from Diddy is her hair, which only manifests in uniqueness in one technique- the ponytail twirl. Apart from this she basically functions exactly the same mehanically in their main games apart from being slower. In DKC2 they were so homogenous that character selection was irrelevant for completing the main game, it only mattered for bonus content. The problem for me is that the twirl has been taken by DK's upb, so I don't see what she has in the main games that would be unique in Smash. The thing that made her hair unique was the twirl, other than that it's the equivalent of Diddy's tail. I could see them making her an alternate skin, and just using her hair for all of Diddy's tail attacks.

At the end of the day, the reason why people suspect Dixie as a clone is because she's similar. It's why people suspected characters like Luigi and Toon Link and Luigi to be clones too. No one ever though Diddy might b a clone of DK because they're not similar, just like no one ever thought Zelda would be a clone of Link, but suspected that Toon Link would.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No offence but I really have to disagree with you here. While, I suppose they could be clones, I don't think it would make much sense. She is quite capable of being different from Diddy, it's not like Lucina and Marth where they literally have the same abilities and sword (albeit with different designs).
Lucina doesn't have the same fighting style as Marth, but she tried to replicate his fighting style the best she could. That said, Lucina is definitely way closer to Marth than Dixie is to Diddy.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Lucina doesn't have the same fighting style as Marth, but she tried to replicate his fighting style the best she could. That said, Lucina is definitely way closer to Marth than Dixie is to Diddy.
Yes. Why can't people understand that if Dixie Kong has any similar moves to Diddy Kong that she would practically be :4myfriends: to Diddy Kong's :4marth:?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yes, the only things what sets her apart are her hair and her bubble gum
But she can do a lot with only that.

Hair:
-The Tropical Freeze twirl
-The classic slow descent whirl
-Quick momentum boost like R.O.B's Bair.
-Just slapping her hair as an attack
-Extra limb: She can do a breakdance kick with her hands stretched because she can stand on her hair

Bubble gum:
-Can grow big and explode
-Can stick to the ground (For poison damage for example)
-Can even act as UpB as hot air balloon.

So while she can borrow lots of attacks from Diddy, she can have completely different mobility and approach (Diddy thriws banana's and cartwheels into your face and Dixie floats through your attacks), visual of the move (Dixie can stand on her hair for most moves.) and just slap with her hair for some attacks.

And these things aren't out of character at all, she is energetic and has used her ponytail to reach heights and gain extreme mobility and blew bubbles with the gum.

They're going all out and Dixie has enough to make her stand out.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bubblegum is basically just a different version of the peanut popguns. If Dixie gets in, I hope that they make her traditional twirl her upb, and make her TF twirl her double jump.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, the only things what sets her apart are her hair and her bubble gum
But she can do a lot with only that.

Hair:
-The Tropical Freeze twirl
-The classic slow descent whirl
-Quick momentum boost like R.O.B's Bair.
-Just slapping her hair as an attack
-Extra limb: She can do a breakdance kick with her hands stretched because she can stand on her hair

Bubble gum:
-Can grow big and explode
-Can stick to the ground (For poison damage for example)
-Can even act as UpB as hot air balloon.

So while she can borrow lots of attacks from Diddy, she can have completely different mobility and approach (Diddy thriws banana's and cartwheels into your face and Dixie floats through your attacks), visual of the move (Dixie can stand on her hair for most moves.) and just slap with her hair for some attacks.

And these things aren't out of character at all, she is energetic and has used her ponytail to reach heights and gain extreme mobility and blew bubbles with the gum.

They're going all out and Dixie has enough to make her stand out.
Its still possible Sakurai might see Dixie and think: "Let's use elements from Diddy so she's easier to design," and K. Rool is the main new DK newcomer. Granted, Dixie would need to be far more different from Diddy than Lucina was to Marth.

Bubblegum is basically just a different version of the peanut popguns. If Dixie gets in, I hope that they make her traditional twirl her upb, and make her TF twirl her double jump.
Not the Gumball Popgun. In all DKC games Dixie always has had a trait of chewing Bubble Gum. The Gumball Popgun was a nod to that fact. In DKC2-3 Dixie blew bubbles as part of her idle animations, and she also did it to trade places with Diddy and Kiddy. Bubble Gum is actually a significant trait to her character, which is why she got a Gumball Popgun in Tropical Freeze. Granted, yes, they probably could and would use the Gumball Popgun, but there's a different between saying the Gumball Popgun and specifically the notion of her using Bubble Gum as part of her moveset.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dixie is still super easy to make since she looks like a Diddy with a baret.

Her moves are different.
I definitely think she'd be easy since all they need to do is take the Dixie outfit from Brawl, add Dixie's ponytail and adjust her slightly, then animation her moves. Most of her moves would undoubtedly revolve around her hair. That said, modeling is only a small portion. The major thing is creating the moveset, although if they use Diddy as a basis for everything, Dixie should definitely be way easier to make than K. Rool, which would justify including both of them on the roster (since DK really is big enough for four reps anyway).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Not the Gumball Popgun. In all DKC games Dixie always has had a trait of chewing Bubble Gum. The Gumball Popgun was a nod to that fact. In DKC2-3 Dixie blew bubbles as part of her idle animations, and she also did it to trade places with Diddy and Kiddy. Bubble Gum is actually a significant trait to her character, which is why she got a Gumball Popgun in Tropical Freeze. Granted, yes, they probably could and would use the Gumball Popgun, but there's a different between saying the Gumball Popgun and specifically the notion of her using Bubble Gum as part of her moveset.
Diddy had a juggling animation in both the country games and DK64, but that hasn't been referenced anywhere. I think the bubblegun in TF was just a result of matching Diddy's popgun, and bubblegum was the most logical choice.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
You can give any potential clone character an entirely unique moveset and say that they offer something unique. They could have done this with Lucina, or veterans like Toon Link, Falco and Luigi. What offering something unique to the game' really means is that a character has gameplay mechanics in their games that are different to what is already on offer in Smash.

Okay then. People's definition of 'unique' in terms of Smash fighters can be different and I think ours were. Perhaps I should have asked what yours was first. But back on the topic of Dixie, we don't know whether she will be unique or not until she is revealed if she even is revealed at all.

The reason why these characters are clones or semi-clones (apart from just saving development time) is because they can't be made too unique without heavily deviating from how they play in their games. This is because they're very similar to who they've been cloned off in their games. For example, Toon Link could have wielded the skull hammer from Wind Waker instead of using his sword and prrojectiles. This would make him play completely differently, not only to adult Link but to the rest of the cast. The reason why they didn't do something like is because it wouldn't be reflective of how he played in his games.
This isn't totally true. Some fighters in Smash don't reflect their unique qualities in their respective games. Robin's nosferatu or Wii Fit Trainers Sun Salutation for example.Heck, I've heard people say that Diddy's main playstyle is completely different from how he played in DKC 1+2 (I haven't played the games so I have no say). While Dixie and Diddy are similar in their games, there is really no saying what Sakurai will end up doing. Dixie's hair is a suitable way to prevent her from becoming a clone alone.

Dixie is similar. Her only distinction from Diddy is her hair, which only manifests in uniqueness in one technique- the ponytail twirl. Apart from this she basically functions exactly the same mehanically in their main games apart from being slower. In DKC2 they were so homogenous that character selection was irrelevant for completing the main game, it only mattered for bonus content. The problem for me is that the twirl has been taken by DK's upb, so I don't see what she has in the main games that would be unique in Smash. The thing that made her hair unique was the twirl, other than that it's the equivalent of Diddy's tail. I could see them making her an alternate skin, and just using her hair for all of Diddy's tail attacks.
Dixie's hair is an incredibly versatile weapon and restricting it's 'uniqueness' to only her ponytail whirl is doing her a great injustice.

At the end of the day, the reason why people suspect Dixie as a clone is because she's similar. It's why people suspected characters like Luigi and Toon Link and Luigi to be clones too. No one ever though Diddy might b a clone of DK because they're not similar, just like no one ever thought Zelda would be a clone of Link, but suspected that Toon Link would.
She definetly is similar to Diddy and I can understand why people think she would be a clone. But unlike Link and Toon Link to Dixie and Diddy is that they don't have the same abilities. Toon Link has all the same tricks as Link does as well as (to a lesser extent) Mario and Luigi. You can't do everything that you can with Diddy to Dixie just like Kirby and Jiggs who also have very similar builds.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Okay then. People's definition of 'unique' in terms of Smash fighters can be different and I think ours were. Perhaps I should have asked what yours was first. But back on the topic of Dixie, we don't know whether she will be unique or not until she is revealed if she even is revealed at all.

This isn't totally true. Some fighters in Smash don't reflect their unique qualities in their respective games. Robin's nosferatu or Wii Fit Trainers Sun Salutation for example.Heck, I've heard people say that Diddy's main playstyle is completely different from how he played in DKC 1+2 (I haven't played the games so I have no say). While Dixie and Diddy are similar in their games, there is really no saying what Sakurai will end up doing. Dixie's hair is a suitable way to prevent her from becoming a clone alone.
WFT is in the game purely as a marketing tool for future Wii-fit oriented games. Diddy is quick and nimble, that's represented in Smash. The main criticism would be that they made up moves for him where they could've taken moves from the games. His sideb and downb could have easily been moves from the games whilst still maintaining mechanical similarity to what they put in instead. However, I personally don't like how they've extended the range on some of his limb attacks, as that isn't characteristic of him at all.

Dixie's hair is an incredibly versatile weapon and restricting it's 'uniqueness' to only her ponytail whirl is doing her a great injustice.
Again, you're confusing potential with actual mechanical uniqueness. Yes, her hair has potential to make her unique. However, the only uniqueness it provides in the games is the twirl, it's mechanically homogeneous in every other regard. I obviously hope they go out of their way to make her hair a unique mechanic outside of the twirl, but the point is they don't need to. They could just use her hair for Diddy's tail attacks and as long as she gets the twirl it wouldn't be an injustice because the twirl was the only unique thing about her hair in the games.

She definetly is similar to Diddy and I can understand why people think she would be a clone. But unlike Link and Toon Link to Dixie and Diddy is that they don't have the same abilities. Toon Link has all the same tricks as Link does as well as (to a lesser extent) Mario and Luigi. You can't do everything that you can with Diddy to Dixie just like Kirby and Jiggs who also have very similar builds.
Toon Link has different itemisation to Link, which isn't featured in Smash. Luigi also has the poltergust, which didn't get featured either. These clones could have been more unique than what they are but from a development perspective they didn't need to be. This is because the character is represented fairly enough as a clone/semi-clone. Dixie is the same. Whilst it'd be nice for Dixie to not be a clone, she's similar enough to Diddy that if they made her a semi-clone (as in, gave her the twirl, and replaced Diddy's few signature moves with her own) it'd be perfectly justified.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Diddy is based largely on his incarnation in DK64, which really defined him and gave him an overall unique feel compared to him in the original DKC games. In DKC1+2, he was "small Donkey." In DK64, Diddy kept most of his bare mininum traits but was given his own attacks, Jet Barrels that no one else had, a Peanut Popgun (although everyone else had a gun as well), and a fighting style derived mostly of swinging his tail around. Another trait of Diddy's was bouncing really high using his tail.

Naturally, Diddy's defining trait is his tail. Dixie's defining trait is her hair, and both bring unique mechanics. Obviously in Smash Bros. Sakurai did have to give Diddy a few moves, but still moves that reflected him and worked for his overall playstyle. The Banana Peel was probably just a "we couldn't think of anything else for him." Granted, there were other things they could've picked, such as his Chimp Charge move, or whatever its called.

Toon Link has different itemisation to Link, which isn't featured in Smash. Luigi also has the poltergust, which didn't get featured either. These clones could have been more unique than what they are but from a development perspective they didn't need to be. This is because the character is represented fairly enough as a clone/semi-clone. Dixie is the same. Whilst it'd be nice for Dixie to not be a clone, she's similar enough to Diddy that if they made her a semi-clone (as in, gave her the twirl, and replaced Diddy's few signature moves with her own) it'd be perfectly justified.
As long as they make her a semiclone by replacing all Diddy's tail attacks with her hair attacks, and cutting at least the Up and Down Specials and giving her a different mechanic entirely, plus add K. Rool, I wouldn't mind Dixie as a semiclone. If we can get K. Rool with Dixie as a semiclone, I'd be ok with that. But making her a direct clone or even an alt doesn't make any sense at all, Diddy uses several mechanics that just don't fit Dixie, most notably the Jet Barrels, which have always been a Diddy exclusive thing in every DK game except Barrel Blast.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah I think K. Rool plus Dixie as a semi-clone using her hair for Diddy's tail attacks and her own signature moves instead of Diddy's is what I think is fair.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I now I fully understand your position on Dixie but we still can't be sure how Sakurai will treat her. We could end up with something totally unique from Dixie. Though she doesn't neccessarily have to bring something totally unique to feel different.

Semiclone I'd be fine with I guess as long as DK gets some sort of unique representative which could be easily filled by K Rool.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Given what happened with Lucina, I highly doubt that if Dixie gets in she'll totally unique. Historically characters like Dixie get the semi-clone treatment, which at this point I think is good for her because the fact she'd be less time consuming than other characters might be what gets her in.

I just don't know what they'd do about her upb because DK's upb is basically the same thing. I can't help but think that if Dixie was planned from the start, they would've changed DK's upb as it's not a signature move of his. I also can't help shake the feeling that Funky might get in over her.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Given what happened with Lucina, I highly doubt that if Dixie gets in she'll totally unique. Historically characters like Dixie get the semi-clone treatment, which at this point I think is good for her because the fact she'd be less time consuming than other characters might be what gets her in.

I just don't know what they'd do about her upb because DK's upb is basically the same thing. I can't help but think that if Dixie was planned from the start, they would've changed DK's upb as it's not a signature move of his. I also can't help shake the feeling that Funky might get in over her.
A lot of people have suggested Squarks as an Up-B as a call back to DKC2 and have her ponytail whirl as her double jump. Personally, I like the idea.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Um, so? You just commented on the fact that if Dixie gets in she wouldn't be totally unique, so who the hell cares if Dixie has a move somewhat similar to DK? Not that her Ponytail Twirl is the same as DK anyway, plus they could very easily make it even more unique by allowing her upwards twirl to convert into her traditional Ponytail Twirl until she's knocked out of it or hits the ground.

In fact, if Tropical Freeze is anything to go by, Dixie's Ponytail Twirl would have much more vertical height than DK's does.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Her UpSepecial could also be the Rocket Barrel, she uses it in TF and Mario Hoops 3 on 3.
Dixie doesn't use the Rocket Barrel in TF, she has an updated Ponytail Whirl which gives her a lot more vertical height. Barrel Blast, yeah, but everyone does in Barrel Blast.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought there were special levels in which everybody rides a Rocket Barrel.
The Rocket Barrel is hardly different from Diddy's jetpacks. She has her own recovery, that'd be the far better pick than giving her something similar to Diddy. And its not like she's the only character who uses it, anyway. She's the ONLY one who has the ability to essentially fly with her hair. (Ok, fine, Tiny ripped Dixie off in DK64, but that's the only time Tiny was even playable in a DK platformer anyway. :p)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The Rocket Barrel is hardly different from Diddy's jetpacks. She has her own recovery, that'd be the far better pick than giving her something similar to Diddy. And its not like she's the only character who uses it, anyway. She's the ONLY one who has the ability to essentially fly with her hair. (Ok, fine, Tiny ripped Dixie off in DK64, but that's the only time Tiny was even playable in a DK platformer anyway. :p)
Not when she does all kinds of stunts, like a full loop with it.

I actually think it's better as Down/Side Special, cloned from Lloid Rocket.
It's an easy to make move but it fits Dixie really well.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
If Dixie isn't unique in this game, then that would be a damn shame. I would love to see Dixie utilize some of the animal buddies, at least one of them.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Dixie isn't unique in this game, then that would be a damn shame. I would love to see Dixie utilize some of the animal buddies, at least one of them.
Dixie can at least use an Animal Buddy for her Final Smash. Using an Animal Buddy in her moveset is a lot more iffy, though.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
But you can't compare, that's a platformer and this is a fighting game. In a platformer characters generally have a jump and one or 2 attacks unlike a fighting game which needs way more and these one or two attacks can usually provide a basis for an entire moveset, they can make a moveset out of her hair almost entirely and there is no reason not to. A lot of the time moves in smash are just made up, for example other than his 3 hit combo and breakdance kick in mario 64 we've never seen mario ever attack with his fists or feet, the rest of the movest is made up, why he couldn't do this with dixie I have no clue

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

The problem with making Dixie a semi-clone of Diddy and just using her ponytail for his tail attacks and nothing else is that he only uses his tail for one attack: his jab combo. Other than that, he uses his hands and feet for everything else. If that happened, it would be a giant waste of potential. Dixie could use the ponytail for all kinds of disjointed attacks, and even a tether grab.

As far as Dixie's spin being similar to DK's Up Special, yes it looks similar to DK's spin in terms of animation, but I'm thinking it would be functionally different. DK's spin slowly makes him rise and he has decent horizontal movement, but my idea for Dixie's spin would be functionally similar to Game and Watch's parachute in Brawl. After her initial Up Special that gives her a lot of vertical distance, she transitions into the spin to slow her decent, and she can use an aerial to cancel out of it. They would be two completely different moves.

At the end of the day, yes, she could be a bare minimum clone/semi-clone of Diddy who uses DK's spin for her Up Special and uses her ponytail in nothing but her jab combo, but I feel that it would be a huge waste of potential.

EDIT: OP updated with Melee and Brawl trophy descriptions, so people can see what Sakurai has said about Dixie in the past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom