• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
She has to be carefull, because she is pretty light, but DK is a pretty big target for her grabs + aerial combos.
She may lack a projectile to make it even easier, but this one is pretty easy if done right 70:30

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
All these ideas as to how she'd play are cool and all but are there any other tools she can use other than her hair? I can only name her guitar and bubblegum popgun.
Guitar, Gumball Popgun, Bubblegum, Squawks (potentially), and Hair. Those are the main things I can think of. The fact is, all she NEEDS is her hair for a full moveset. That's what is interesting about Dixie Kong.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
At the same time, relying on Squawks isn't relying on Dixie's own abilities. So that might be something Sakurai wouldn't consider and would just rather give Dixie a Ponytail Whirl recovery instead or just not use her at all, although I'd hope he'd see plenty of potential in her other abilities rather than make her a clone.
1. Predicting Sakurai is futile.

2. Putting an idea like Squawks aside because he's not a natural move of Dixie's is questionable, especially when looking at made up moves for characters. Before Smash 64, when did DK spin to gain height? What game did headbutting become a thing for him? Couldn't be Jungle Beat because he's been doing it since Melee. And where's Diddy's Monkey Flip come from? I've never seen him latch onto enemies like he does until Brawl. And the banana peels? He's collected hundreds in his games but never thrown them outside of Double Dash and MK Wii, and if we wanna use that as the basis then everyone from the Mario, DK, Yoshi and Wario series are eligible for throwing banana peels, which would, of course be their own ability. You can justify the Mario Bros throwing coins as an attack if Diddy's DownB is considered natural. I can go on and on with this thanks to Fox, Villager (Balloon Fighter Balloons?) and Captain Falcon especially among many others.

3. Having a Ponytail Whirl UpB as well as a Ponytail Whirl Descent that's activated by holding the jump button is somewhat unimaginative. That could hinder her variety, and having Squawks is nowhere near as outlandish as pulling a move out your behind that has nothing to do with her (not saying you did do that). Honestly if you're not really feeling the Squawks idea come up with something else. Have her blow a large bubblegum bubble that lets her float or something. Give her a barrel to shoot out of--a life balloon--a rope to swing on or whatever.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
1. Predicting Sakurai is futile.

2. Putting an idea like Squawks aside because he's not a natural move of Dixie's is questionable, especially when looking at made up moves for characters. Before Smash 64, when did DK spin to gain height? What game did headbutting become a thing for him? Couldn't be Jungle Beat because he's been doing it since Melee. And where's Diddy's Monkey Flip come from? I've never seen him latch onto enemies like he does until Brawl. And the banana peels? He's collected hundreds in his games but never thrown them outside of Double Dash and MK Wii, and if we wanna use that as the basis then everyone from the Mario, DK, Yoshi and Wario series are eligible for throwing banana peels, which would, of course be their own ability. You can justify the Mario Bros throwing coins as an attack if Diddy's DownB is considered natural. I can go on and on with this thanks to Fox, Villager (Balloon Fighter Balloons?) and Captain Falcon especially among many others.

3. Having a Ponytail Whirl UpB as well as a Ponytail Whirl Descent that's activated by holding the jump button is somewhat unimaginative. That could hinder her variety, and having Squawks is nowhere near as outlandish as pulling a move out your behind that has nothing to do with her (not saying you did do that). Honestly if you're not really feeling the Squawks idea come up with something else. Have her blow a large bubblegum bubble that lets her float or something. Give her a barrel to shoot out of--a life balloon--a rope to swing on or whatever.
Well, I was just thinking back to Robin and how Sakurai wanted characters specifically WHO COULD BRING SOMETHING NEW. I think Dixie has plenty going for her, and honestly, Fire Emblem has an inconsistent cast anyway... its just got me a tad bit worried. I think Squawks is a great idea, I'm just: would Sakurai do that? I'm just saying, Sakurai knew he HAD to add Diddy, so he came up with moves to make Diddy work. He might not think "we HAVE to add Dixie Kong."

I think, personally, Dixie Kong is iconic enough to make it in and make up a few moves for her. I'm just not sure if Sakurai would think that, is all. I LOVE the idea of her using Squawks as a recovery.

Btw, when I said Dixie's Ponytail Whirl descent, what I mean is: Dixie's Up+B Ponytail Whirl, if held in, will turn into her traditional Ponytail Whirl. Granted, yes, it is possible for that to just be her double-jump and she descends into the traditional Ponytail Whirl that way.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Looking at all the newcomers so far (specially Lucina), it's obvious Sakurai wants to include more females. If after all of this Dixie doesn't make it in I'd be pretty disappointed. I believe she's more important/iconic than all the females announced so far.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Looking at all the newcomers so far (specially Lucina), it's obvious Sakurai wants to include more females. If after all of this Dixie doesn't make it in I'd be pretty disappointed. I believe she's more important/iconic than all the females announced so far.
Yeah, yeah, that'd be a very good reason to include Dixie. K. Rool is the best pick for DK, but Sakurai might realize the DK franchise really should have both and will add both, K. Rool for villains, Dixie for heroes. Hell, Dixie is one of the few MAIN female hero protagonists in Nintendo history. Dixie Kong was the main protagonist of the third game in the DK franchise, that says a lot.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Before Lucina I thought it was impossible, we were only going to get one newcomer per franchise. Now I'm not so sure.

That said, I have realized it IS possible for Dixie to be done the same way Lucina is; planned as a skin, made into a clone. Diddy's signature trait is his jet barrels... but other Kongs HAVE used rocket barrels/barrel jetpacks before. Dixie is the first to ever use a rocket barrel of any sort, after all, final level of Krematoa, anyone? Not to mention DK: Barrel Blast.

I'm just hoping that Sakurai realizes DK is big enough to get four characters, and both K. Rool and Dixie are too iconic not to leave one or the other out.
Dixie being a clone/alt of Diddy would be awful. They'd literally play nothing alike.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dixie being a clone/alt of Diddy would be awful. They'd literally play nothing alike.
I KNOW it'd be awful. The idea is that Dixie's moves could be the same as Diddy's, except she just uses her hair instead of hands/feet for most attacks. Someone brought this up on another thread, and in theory, it would be possible... but its really doesn't fit the same way Lucina does. I'm just saying... its POSSIBLE.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I KNOW it'd be awful. The idea is that Dixie's moves could be the same as Diddy's, except she just uses her hair instead of hands/feet for most attacks. Someone brought this up on another thread, and in theory, it would be possible... but its really doesn't fit the same way Lucina does. I'm just saying... its POSSIBLE.
I'm not sure it really is possible without it just looking like a complete mess. Lucina made a lot of sense being a Marth clone, she even named herself Marth in FE:A. Dixie Kong never played like Diddy in the DCK games, and she has so many unique tools to borrow from:

Hair (which can be used to attack, carry items, grab, recovery, ground pound and for hanging off of ledges)
Bubble Gun (might work like peanut pop gun, but this is where any similarities end tbh)
Bubble Gum
Animal Buddies (if Olimar can have Pikmin, there's no reason she can't have animal buddies)
Guitar (possibly for a final smash)
Barrels
Jet Barrels (Barrel blast)

She's probably the character that has the most amount of potential to be completely unique.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not sure it really is possible without it just looking like a complete mess. Lucina made a lot of sense being a Marth clone, she even named herself Marth in FE:A. Dixie Kong never played like Diddy in the DCK games, and she has so many unique tools to borrow from:

Hair (which can be used to attack, carry items, grab, recovery, ground pound and for hanging off of ledges)
Bubble Gun (might work like peanut pop gun, but this is where any similarities end tbh)
Bubble Gum
Animal Buddies (if Olimar can have Pikmin, there's no reason she can't have animal buddies)
Guitar (possibly for a final smash)
Barrels
Jet Barrels (Barrel blast)

She's probably the character that has the most amount of potential to be completely unique.
Well, I don't agree with the notion that she has the "most" potential to be completely unique. A LOT of characters have PLENTY of potential to be completely unique. Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Shulk (don't know much about Xenoblade but I know this much), Dixie, Ray, RH character, Bandana Dee... even Chrom COULD be unique, though of these he's the only one that wouldn't bring anything new, hence why he was left out.

The thing with Animal Buddies is no other character has used Animal Buddies from DK. Then again, that might be a great reason to give Dixie Animal Buddies. I can definitely see a Squawks recovery and an Animal Buddy Final Smash. I do NOT want her to have her guitar as a Final Smash; DK already has his Bongos. Her guitar should be a taunt, an ending, and perhaps she could actually use it as a special. But definitely not a Final Smash.

But I'd absolutely LOVE her using her hair and Bubble Gum for numerous different things. The Bubble Gum especially would work for a Side Smash, and even the Gumball Popgun could potentially work as a "sticky" gun that can hit opponents to slow them down, or hit the ground and get people stuck.

Barrels and Jet Barrels anyone DK can use, those are really more items. And Jet Barrels are Diddy's thing, I'd rather not have Dixie use that. I've come to like the idea of Squawks a lot, I really hope Sakurai considers this possibility for her recovery.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well, I don't agree with the notion that she has the "most" potential to be completely unique. A LOT of characters have PLENTY of potential to be completely unique. Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Shulk (don't know much about Xenoblade but I know this much), Dixie, Ray, RH character, Bandana Dee... even Chrom COULD be unique, though of these he's the only one that wouldn't bring anything new, hence why he was left out.

The thing with Animal Buddies is no other character has used Animal Buddies from DK. Then again, that might be a great reason to give Dixie Animal Buddies. I can definitely see a Squawks recovery and an Animal Buddy Final Smash. I do NOT want her to have her guitar as a Final Smash; DK already has his Bongos. Her guitar should be a taunt, an ending, and perhaps she could actually use it as a special. But definitely not a Final Smash.

But I'd absolutely LOVE her using her hair and Bubble Gum for numerous different things. The Bubble Gum especially would work for a Side Smash, and even the Gumball Popgun could potentially work as a "sticky" gun that can hit opponents to slow them down, or hit the ground and get people stuck.

Barrels and Jet Barrels anyone DK can use, those are really more items. And Jet Barrels are Diddy's thing, I'd rather not have Dixie use that. I've come to like the idea of Squawks a lot, I really hope Sakurai considers this possibility for her recovery.
Dixie's best recovery would be her helicopter hair spin I think.

I do agree that some of those things could be used by other DK characters, but neither DK or Diddy use them so I don't see why Dixie couldn't. Maybe Rambi being a final Smash would be a good idea. Or perhaps some sort of stampede. Yeah I like the idea of the guitar being either a taunt or maybe her victory celebration as that would make sense considering she used it at the end of a level. It could make for an interesting move in some form too.

Maybe she could use her Bubble Gum as a sticky trap.

There are definitely a hell of a lot of ways they could take her moveset. And all of them would make her extremely unique and exciting to use.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dixie's best recovery would be her helicopter hair spin I think.

I do agree that some of those things could be used by other DK characters, but neither DK or Diddy use them so I don't see why Dixie couldn't. Maybe Rambi being a final Smash would be a good idea. Or perhaps some sort of stampede. Yeah I like the idea of the guitar being either a taunt or maybe her victory celebration as that would make sense considering she used it at the end of a level. It could make for an interesting move in some form too.

Maybe she could use her Bubble Gum as a sticky trap.

There are definitely a hell of a lot of ways they could take her moveset. And all of them would make her extremely unique and exciting to use.
I like the idea of her having a normal double jump (probably just a flip like Tiny) with her ponytail whirl as her recovery, which can then turn into a helicopter whirl. I also like the idea of ponytail whirl as the double jump, which can turn into her classic helicopter whirl, with Squawks as the recovery. Either one would work. That said, Squawks might be TOO good, so it might be better for just the ponytail whirl to be the regular recovery and she has a normal double jump.

Rambi definitely should be the Final Smash. I'd have preferred if DK got Rambi, but DK kept his original Final Smash instead.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I like the idea of her having a normal double jump (probably just a flip like Tiny) with her ponytail whirl as her recovery, which can then turn into a helicopter whirl. I also like the idea of ponytail whirl as the double jump, which can turn into her classic helicopter whirl, with Squawks as the recovery. Either one would work. That said, Squawks might be TOO good, so it might be better for just the ponytail whirl to be the regular recovery and she has a normal double jump.

Rambi definitely should be the Final Smash. I'd have preferred if DK got Rambi, but DK kept his original Final Smash instead.
Yeah I think Squawks would be a bit similar to Olimar's recovery. Dixie's main strength should be her air game I think.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah I think Squawks would be a bit similar to Olimar's recovery. Dixie's main strength should be her air game I think.
Perhaps. I don't mind the idea, but I do prefer Dixie relying entirely on her own abilities, and she's perfectly capable of doing so.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Dixie really doesn't need to be a clone, she has more than enough abilities at her disposal. I imagine her being slower on the ground than diddy but faster in the air with a great air game. Her moveset could be based around her hair like millia from guilty gear. She wouldn't deal a lot of damage but would be able to combo in the air and rack up damage fast.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Dixie not relying on all those gadgets would suit me best. I would prefer if it was just her hair, hands and feet that did the fighting. It's precisely why I love Donkey Kong and Bowser. Diddy turned me off because of the gun, jet pack and bananas(mostly because of my extreme disappointment with DK64), I hope Dixie doesn't go the same way.

There are a million and one propellor/helicopter/whip attacks Sakurai could come up with but I wouldn't be surprised if all kinds of zany things are used. Though the helicopter twirl for an up B into a slow decent just seems inevitable.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Dixie not relying on all those gadgets would suit me best. I would prefer if it was just her hair, hands and feet that did the fighting. It's precisely why I love Donkey Kong and Bowser. Diddy turned me off because of the gun, jet pack and bananas(mostly because of my extreme disappointment with DK64), I hope Dixie doesn't go the same way.

There are a million and one propellor/helicopter/whip attacks Sakurai could come up with but I wouldn't be surprised if all kinds of zany things are used. Though the helicopter twirl for an up B into a slow decent just seems inevitable.
I don't see the problem with her using the guitar or bubble gum gun, I mean it'd be nice to give her some kind of projectile

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd like Dixie to rely 90% on her hair, use her Guitar for one attack, a taunt, and an endgame pose (definitely her DKC2 endgame pose; Diddy should get his DKC2 endgame pose as an option), and also use Bubble Gum for 1-2 attacks and a taunt/idle animation.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'd like Dixie to rely 90% on her hair, use her Guitar for one attack, a taunt, and an endgame pose (definitely her DKC2 endgame pose; Diddy should get his DKC2 endgame pose as an option), and also use Bubble Gum for 1-2 attacks and a taunt/idle animation.
I'd rather the taunt be the air guitar idle animation from tropical freeze

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I can honestly see her, before, I would just brush it off because K. Rool deserves it so much more. After think about it, she would fit into smash like Diddy, perfectly. Plus she could take inspiration from Tiny Kong from DK 64 too. Bubblegum Gun, Hair Twirl, etc

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
If Dixie is in the game, I don't think she will get a reveal trailer. To me, she seems like a secret unlockable character. Maybe a last minute addition like Toon Link or Wolf in brawl. I hope she has a unique moveset, but I can see her model being easily added in since she has a similar build to Diddy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Dixie is in the game, I don't think she will get a reveal trailer. To me, she seems like a secret unlockable character. Maybe a last minute addition like Toon Link or Wolf in brawl. I hope she has a unique moveset, but I can see her model being easily added in since she has a similar build to Diddy.
It depends. If we get a DK-themed trailer, I could easily see Dixie appearing in that. If we get a Villains Trailer, Dixie might likely be a secret.

Apollo181

Smash Cadet
I fully expect Dixie to be in the game. Whether she's revealed or not before the 3DS version releases in Japan in September remains to be seen, but I have no doubt in my mind we'll see her in the game.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It depends. If we get a DK-themed trailer, I could easily see Dixie appearing in that. If we get a Villains Trailer, Dixie might likely be a secret.
I could see a Dixie + K Rool trailer happening after the Robin + Lucina one, plus DK is well deserving of 3 reps

EDIT: That also includes Ness/Jigglypuff

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Supporters updated. Wow. I didn't have much time to visit this thread over the weekend, and it looks like plenty of discussion happened. Dixie is definitely capable of being a unique and interesting fighter, and I think we all are doing an excellent job at showing that.

I really like the idea of incorporating Squawks into her moveset. I feel that Squawks fits much closer to Dixie's playstyle than Rambi does. If not for her Up-Special, I think Squawks might be good for her Final Smash. They could fly around and shoot coconuts at enemies.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Supporters updated. Wow. I didn't have much time to visit this thread over the weekend, and it looks like plenty of discussion happened. Dixie is definitely capable of being a unique and interesting fighter, and I think we all are doing an excellent job at showing that.

I really like the idea of incorporating Squawks into her moveset. I feel that Squawks fits much closer to Dixie's playstyle than Rambi does. If not for her Up-Special, I think Squawks might be good for her Final Smash. They could fly around and shoot coconuts at enemies.
Could Squawks work as an Assist Trophy? I think the Donkey Kong Country Series should have some Assist Trophies thrown in. Mainly Rambi and the like.

Top Bottom