• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The one-per third party unwritten "rule" HAS BEEN BROKEN

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ryu's been confirmed for real (leaked), so that means

THE UNWRITTEN RULE HAS BEEN BROKEN!!!!!!!!

Just think of what this means! Bayonetta; Cress; Lloyd; Heihachi; Simon Belmont and Snake could coexist... The possibilities are endless!

(Though I think the rule has been upped to two-per third party IMO)

Khao

Smash Lord
There was never a rule if you ask me.

I don't think we should be thinking about companies, but about franchises. Ryu is not here as a Capcom character, but as a Street Fighter character.

In the same way, we shouldn't be taking this as evidence that we're getting more Namco or SEGA characters. I do think they should give Sonic a second character in the next game due to being an established Smash franchise by now, but as far as characters from other series go... Who from Namco or SEGA is as iconic as Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic and Ryu? None of the ones I've seen mentioned in this thread so far come close.

Quillion

Smash Hero
There was never a rule if you ask me.

I don't think we should be thinking about companies, but about franchises. Ryu is not here as a Capcom character, but as a Street Fighter character.

In the same way, we shouldn't be taking this as evidence that we're getting more Namco or SEGA characters. I do think they should give Sonic a second character in the next game due to being an established Smash franchise by now, but as far as characters from other series go... Who from Namco or SEGA is as iconic as Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic and Ryu? None of the ones I've seen mentioned in this thread so far come close.
Heihachi Mishima for Namco. At least by virtue of Namco putting him in everything.

Khao

Smash Lord
Heihachi Mishima for Namco. At least by virtue of Namco putting him in everything.
Honestly? Heihachi is not even close to Ryu. Ryu popularity even bleeds out of the gaming universe. Maybe if you ask a normal person if they're familiar with Ryu they wouldn't know what you're talking about, but everyone knows about Hadokens and Shoryukens.

Heihachi? I know actual gamers who'd have no idea who he is.

Ryu's like, pop culture.

Heihachi is "just" the main character from a popular fighting game.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly? Heihachi is not even close to Ryu. Ryu popularity even bleeds out of the gaming universe. Maybe if you ask a normal person if they're familiar with Ryu they wouldn't know what you're talking about, but everyone knows about Hadokens and Shoryukens.

Heihachi? I know actual gamers who'd have no idea who he is.

Ryu's like, pop culture.

Heihachi is "just" the main character from a popular fighting game.
That popular fighting game along with Tales are the only two things that Namco is pushing internationally right now (Even then, Tales is a bit inconsistent).

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I told you all that one-third-party rule was bupkis.

I also like how because of it Smash is transforming from a Nintendo fanboy-fest to a tribute to gaming in general. Ryu seems like a weird choice for a third-party rep, but somehow it feels appropriate.

I guess it's up in the air who could get in now. And that's a good thing.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
If Sega gets a second rep, I can't imagine it being anyone but a second Sonic character. Hell, who's to say that Bayonetta won't end up being left behind by Sega in a few years, just like most of Sega's non-Sonic franchises?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I fell like if namco does get a second rep. I would hope they would pass it one to a bandai Character instead.

And if anyone from Tekken did get in I think it would be Nina Williams, why she has her own game

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This rule no longer exists ladies and gentlemen. Just think of the implications!

OP: Do believe that it exists? And/or do you not believe in it?
But now we have the unwritten "two per third party" rule. :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Namco gets a character from their fighters to match Ryu, it should be Nightmare from Soulcalibur instead of Heihachi or Jin.
I don't think it will ever happen though sadly.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
King would be a cool tekken character... Or even if it was a miifighter hat lol

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
hehehe with the way Ryu was included, it would be amazing if nightmare was in to play and feel like soul calibur, perfect shield actually becomes a parry, fast horizontal swipes but with little hitboxes, slow vertical swipes with giant hitboxes but little active frames so the can be spot dodged, bad jumps, etc... Maybe paired with a new soul calibur that manages to reinvigorate soul calibur from his sorry state that is lost swords...

while i'm not a big fan of tekken (find it way more boring than soul calibur, at least when soul calibur wasn't a joke), i wouldn't mind that much if the tekken character played akin to tekken.

regarding Dig Dug.. i would feel it a little redundant with pac man, klonoa may be interesting, but his series are a little too niche. I Actually like the design of Kosmos, but i once tried to play her game and I was uber bored after the 40 hour mark ._.

And regarding bandai.. dunno, isn't bandai mostly know in videogames for games starring Manga and Anime characters? do they have an original video game themselves? please, don't say Goku...

My perfect although extremly wishful (since it includes konami... sigh) third party roster would be:
Capcom: Megaman and Ryu
Namco: Pacman and Nightmare
Sega: Sonic and Bayonetta (seriously her games are amazing!)
Konami: Snake and Simon Belmont
Indies: Shovel Knight and Shantae

I know though how much of a longshot this is :c

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
And regarding bandai.. dunno, isn't bandai mostly know in videogames for games starring Manga and Anime characters? do they have an original video game themselves? please, don't say Goku...
Bandai and Namco have merged in 2005 and are one and the same company since then. "Bandai Namco"
However, since Goku isn't a character originating from a video-game, or video-game company, i don't think we'll see him in smash. ; )

mark welford

Smash Ace
I honestly think Bayonetta wouldn't be included because of her rating and how explicit her games are even moreso than MGS if they don't want another Sonic character include someone from PSO or Skies of Arcadia they would be more suitable imo.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Sega gets a second rep, I can't imagine it being anyone but a second Sonic character. Hell, who's to say that Bayonetta won't end up being left behind by Sega in a few years, just like most of Sega's non-Sonic franchises?
HEY! What about...

God, dammit Sega! Between you, Konami, and Capcom, is Nintendo the only one who treats its old properties right nowadays?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
If Capcom gets Ryu.
I hope Namco gets Klonoa.
And for Sega, I'm not sure... I want to say Tails, or Knuckles but at the same time I think maybe moving away from Sonic franchise and using NiGHTS would be better.
...Plz no. ((I would glady take Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug or Mr. Driller though~... please? o w o))

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is Klonoa really that popular? I only see a cult following IIRC.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
He really isn't, it's just his fans won't stop talking about him and it's gotten on my nerves. ((They even go out to say this obscure Sonic-clone who makes Bubsy look interesting should be in over Pac-Man, Namco's main mascot.))

He's obscure and honestly, doesn't deserve a place in Smash if they are going to act that way.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Klonoa has appeared exclusively on Nintendo consoles more so then other possible namco reps.
His last game was on the Wii, and as recent as this year, had a game put on the e-shop.
If you take the Lloyd mii fighter costume as a deconfirmation (debatable), then Klonoa remains the only purely Namco Rep available (excluding primarily Bandai brand characters.)

There are other viable choices too though, but those are primarily Bandai more so than a Namco brand, which only Sakurai knows if that makes a difference. It's also possible Namco could be flexing it's internal ego when deciding a second rep.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing.

It's too soon to see if they're going to treat Splatoon like they treat the series above. Right now Nintendo is riding on the success of this single title, but its not a "series" yet.

I don't list Donkey Kong because, while his series does get games and merchandise every once in a while, its not treated as a series we need to have every couple of years. Same with Metroid and Star Fox. Those series go through hibernation a lot.

Nintendo certainly doesn't love them quite as much as the series I listed above.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
A response to some things I've read here.

1. GameFreak doesn't own Pokemon, The Pokemon Company does which is owned mostly by Nintendo. Gamefreak (and Creatures) are just trusted to make the games.

2. [Personal Opinion] I really think Ryu's icon status is overstated. He's not nearly as big a deal, as he's said to be around these parts lately. He barely has a presence outside of video games like many seem to imply, and I think that if he didn't come from such a big game, no one would care about him.

3. [Personal Opinion Again] I don't see why characters have to be "important" to be in Smash anyway. If a character's awesome, but isn't important (or Nintendo related), I'd rather it still have a chance than not. Great characters like Goemon, Viewtiful Joe, and even Rayman get scoffed at, because of stupid "rules" we've placed on this game, and it's just dumb. If a character's great, and you like them, you should support them whether their chances are good or not.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sometimes I wish there weren't 3rd parties at all. It would make things a whole lot simpler. Now we've open the floodgates to this once "Nintendo All-Stars" series.

And regarding bandai.. dunno, isn't bandai mostly know in videogames for games starring Manga and Anime characters? do they have an original video game themselves?
They were responsible for Tamagotchi, the keychain digital pet that would make noises while its owner was in class, and die from neglect. They were a pop culture fad in the 90's and early 2000's, and are the foremost thing that Bandai could contribute from its half.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sometimes I wish there weren't 3rd parties at all. It would make things a whole lot simpler. Now we've open the floodgates to this once "Nintendo All-Stars" series.
Which is why there needs to be a hard limit to how many characters a single third party company can get.

Two is already good.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
They were responsible for Tamagotchi, the keychain digital pet that would make noises while its owner was in class, and die from neglect. They were a pop culture fad in the 90's and early 2000's, and are the foremost thing that Bandai could contribute from its half.
Tamogatchi for Smash Assist Trophy Confirmed. It lasts longer the more the player that summons it hits it, otherwise, it dies from neglect.

Top Bottom