• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The one-per third party unwritten "rule" HAS BEEN BROKEN

Quillion

Smash Hero
This rule no longer exists ladies and gentlemen. Just think of the implications!

OP: Do believe that it exists? And/or do you not believe in it?

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Not sure if off-topic but considering now the rule is "any video game characters" it seems that is irrelevant.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Do believe that it exists? And/or do you not believe in it?
I believe its been stated in an interview before that if the game had too many 3rd party characters, it would no longer be a "Nintendo All-Star game". Pretty sure thats where everyone made the rule for the community. It makes sense too, because if they did allow it, I'm sure we'd see Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Ryu, Zero, and Dig-Dug by no in the game.

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
I don't that's a rule. Brawl had two 3rd paryies and Sm4sh had two 3rd parties and one 2nd party (since Namco worked on Smash as well, I can't say Sakurai needed to stretch out his neck to get Pac-Man in, unlike Megaman which I'm sure required a lot of string-pulling.) Either way, I doubt that there's an yrules like that. Besides, we haven't even confirmed if more than one character will become DLC from the ballot. Heck, Sakurai could be trolling us right then and there, because he never said straight up that he will put the most voted character into the game. For all we know, the ballot could just be a popularity contest!!! Still, I really hope I'm not right.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think it's most likely an unwritten rule at the moment, but I envision that Sonic will get a second character to join him at some point in the future, if he keeps returning as a veteran.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Game Freak is a third party developer ... there you go.
The IP is co-owned by Nintendo, though.

While they don't have all the rights to the characters (Sakurai mentions that The Pokémon Company is quite strict on what characters he can use in Smash), it's still at least partially Nintendo's property.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
There's no basis for any of these unwritten rules. Nintendo and Sakurai can and have done whatever they wanted to with the rosters. Why would Pac Man or Snake be Smash characters otherwise?

Braydon

Smash Ace
Of course it doesn't exist, it's just that they haven't added that many third parties and they start with the most important.

I believe its been stated in an interview before that if the game had too many 3rd party characters, it would no longer be a "Nintendo All-Star game". Pretty sure thats where everyone made the rule for the community. It makes sense too, because if they did allow it, I'm sure we'd see Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Ryu, Zero, and Dig-Dug by no in the game.
Why? Because if sakuria doesn't have a rule he'll lose all self control go crazy and add 1000 third party characters? Why would allowing multiple mean we had to have 4 sonic reps? Why?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Let's see. Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man together form a quartet of video game history, all four of them are really well known characters. Snake is the odd one out, being added because of buddy reasons.

Yeah, probably exists to a certain extend. Of course, it's kind of arbitrary and could be considered to be more of a guideline since Sakurai can just ignore it as he deems fit. If he thinks something is OK for the franchise, then the rule doesn't matter.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's a good rule to hold on to, I'd say, primarily because it gives off the impression that all 3rd party characters and their respective companies are treated equally.

Given Sega's recent collaborations with Nintendo, another Sonic character sounds more likely than another Mega Man character though.

:231:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's a good rule to hold on to, I'd say, primarily because it gives off the impression that all 3rd party characters and their respective companies are treated equally.

Given Sega's recent collaborations with Nintendo, another Sonic character sounds more likely than another Mega Man character though.

But Sega showed signs of quickly regretting that contract and rushed through the last game in the deal to get out of it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But Sega showed signs of quickly regretting that contract and rushed through the last game in the deal to get out of it.
That's ... a strange way of interpreting the situation. I really doubt they would screw up a title from their flagship franchise, just to get out of a deal. Not to mention the deal wasn't unfavourable to Sega in any way.

The actual reason Sonic Boom turned out the way it is, was a mass exodus of developers from Big Red Button. After that, Sega simply gave up on the title.

Quillion

Smash Hero
That's ... a strange way of interpreting the situation. I really doubt they would screw up a title from their flagship franchise, just to get out of a deal. Not to mention the deal wasn't unfavourable to Sega in any way.

The actual reason Sonic Boom turned out the way it is, was a mass exodus of developers from Big Red Button. After that, Sega simply gave up on the title.

Both Mario & Sonic Olympics and Lost World sold poorly and had poor critical reception. Sonic Boom was even meant to be for all consoles until it was repurposed to be the last game in the contract.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If SEGA gets a second character it wouldn't be fair to Capcom or Namco. Same goes for the other way around. That's why its smarter to just stick with one.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If Capcom gets Ryu.
I hope Namco gets Klonoa.
And for Sega, I'm not sure... I want to say Tails, or Knuckles but at the same time I think maybe moving away from Sonic franchise and using NiGHTS would be better.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Capcom gets Ryu.
I hope Namco gets Klonoa.
And for Sega, I'm not sure... I want to say Tails, or Knuckles but at the same time I think maybe moving away from Sonic franchise and using NiGHTS would be better.
Grain of salt. Grain of salt...

Also, why wouldn't you think of Bayonetta?

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet

She'd need a massive tuning in a lot of areas to avoid bring the rating up from E+10. If Peach has a black void now, Bayo's chances are slim to none. You can even add in Kamiya's apparent dislike for smash due to him getting pestered by people on twitter as well. Sure we managed to get W101 stuff in Smash 4, but this was likely before W101 sold terribly/Kamiya wasn't getting asked multiple times about smash. Unsure of other members of Platinum Games feel about smash, but what I do know is that they show little interest in the ballot compared to other devs.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only real time erotic behavior would actually be shown is her taunts and victory themes, but that can easily be toned down to the level of Palutena's pole-dancing and she would still be Bayonetta.
Bayonetta is eligible for DLC.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

If Bayonetta 2 didn't come out, no one would know who she is.
Shes a bandwagon character like no other.
No different then when artsy did a rayman and shovel knight art, all of a sudden the fan base grows by 10k, where were these fans prior? Idk it's stupid.
Find me support posts for Bayonetta prior to the game announcement, and i'll say she isn't a bandwagon character.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
If that came from Sakurai, it's probably the same kind of BS he uses to justify his decisions usually.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If Bayonetta 2 didn't come out, no one would know who she is.
Shes a bandwagon character like no other.
No different then when artsy did a rayman and shovel knight art, all of a sudden the fan base grows by 10k, where were these fans prior? Idk it's stupid.
Find me support posts for Bayonetta prior to the game announcement, and i'll say she isn't a bandwagon character.
I suggest reading the support thread, there's more to it than you think.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I suggest reading the support thread, there's more to it than you think.
The first post in that thread basically supports my point 100% as it's prodominately centered around the announcement Bayonetta 2.

She's the front runner for Bandwagon characters with Shovel Knight right behind her.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The first post in that thread basically supports my point 100% as it's prodominately centered around the announcement Bayonetta 2.

She's the front runner for Bandwagon characters with Shovel Knight right behind her.
Why don't you read more of the posts, the more recent ones from that thread to be exact.
We don't just support Bayonetta solely for bandwagoning you know.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm not sure. I think it's probably the case that each individual third party series should only get its mascot character, but I don't see why a third party company couldn't have several series represented.

Not sure if off-topic but considering now the rule is "any video game characters" it seems that is irrelevant.
I'm pretty sure that's just something a NoA representative said with regards to who players can vote for, not that literally any video game character can be in Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Ryu is going to shatter some people's perspectives on this

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I think the one third party per company rule is necessary. This is a NINTENDO all star game for crying out loud.

And if Nintendo ever put in a second rep for one third party company, I'd be convinced that Sakurai has lost his senses.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think the one third party per company rule is necessary. This is a NINTENDO all star game for crying out loud.

And if Nintendo ever put in a second rep for one third party company, I'd be convinced that Sakurai has lost his senses.
Sakurai has already gone back on a lot of his 'critiera' for the roster. I assume his out look or perspective changed over time.

Villager apparently wasn't in Brawl because Sakurai couldn't imagine him fighting.

Sakurai also decided against Mii's in Brawl.

Ridley was a playable size in the melee intro.

Video Game characters only, ROB started as an accessory. He didnt even appear in his two games. Also WFT is an area of grey.

Sakurai used to be firm in his outlines for characters but now hes a push over.

Much like how mario kart is now smash kart.

Nintendo is probably just throwing mud at a wall hoping something sticks for this wii u.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Capcom are rumoured to be putting Ryu in so I would love to see KOS-MOS representing Namco. She's appearing in Project X Zone 2 and also Project Treasure. Two new Nintendo games and one is going to be a major Wii U title.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Come to think about it, I wouldn't mind if the only third party companies involved with smash stayed as Capcom, Sega, and Namco. With other third parties only coming from those companies they seem pretty good with Nintendo.

Capcom - Mega Man & Ryu
Namco - Pac-Man & Klonoa
Sega - Sonic & ....I don't know hmm one of the following (Tails, AiAi, NiGHTS, Alex Kidd, Hatsune Miku, Bayonetta)

imo capcom, namco, and sega have some of the best characters to offer, would rather more third parties from them, then new companies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Konami: Snake and Simon Belmont
Sega: Sonic and...
Capcom: Megaman and Ryu
Namco: Pac Man and...

I'm kinda drawing blanks. All these franchises are important to either Nintendo history or gaming history and have a decent Nintendo draw to them. I don't think Klonoa is big enough to be a Namco second rep...

Top Bottom