• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Thread

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I would have entered but they wouldn't let me. People were going to give up their spots for me in the first round and the guy wouldn't let me enter >=(.
I think I remember that. Pretty sure I was sitting a couple chairs away from you when you were your buddy was trying to let you sub for him.

Well, maybe Anime Punch! will be better. Well, if it has a Melee tourney, anyways.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Haha rusty is not the right word. I'm just learning him.

My Falco though..... that's rusty. Which is sad because I was never good with him in the first place...

DTR

Smash Journeyman
We need more melee in ohio. 4% had a smashfest and the turnout was almost 2X bigger than test your mights melee turnout (7 people) which is pathetic. me and my friends will do what we can to make it to melee tournies (3-5 people depending on when) which at least will help a little. the scene is getting bigger everywhere else, why not ohio? + i need training for apex so start having more tournies

Framerate

Smash Lord
Sil and Wakka have been recruiting a couple of us from OUGA back into the melee scene (mainly Pops and I). Also Jokey has shown some interest.

wakka444

Smash Ace
nah that doesnt seem to work. (TYM had 7 for melee) We need to get our **** together and host our own tournies
lol the brawl players that also do melee, roughly 10 of us dont go to the tym series everr, and because we have brawl tournaments every weekend going to melee tournies just wont happen at least not until brawl slows at least some.

and we had a melee side event at nopes last monthly and had 19 entrants

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, splitting Melee and Brawl in a tournament splits the resources too, and makes both sides get less friendlies, which makes the tournament less enjoyable as a whole.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
lol the brawl players that also do melee, roughly 10 of us dont go to the tym series everr, and because we have brawl tournaments every weekend going to melee tournies just wont happen at least not until brawl slows at least some.

and we had a melee side event at nopes last monthly and had 19 entrants
Ugh. Unfortunately, my family has issues if it's 'at some guys house' -.-. I'll be trying to make it to some tournies, but its hard when 90% of the ohio tournies take place longer/farther than 30-40 minutes away from cleveland, cause my family refuses to take me that far....and that just bout all of em are at folk's houses....
nah that doesnt seem to work. (TYM had 7 for melee) We need to get our **** together and host our own tournies
Yeah n it was just f*ckin sad. I was completely whooped by people vastly out classing me, and thanks to a severe lack of folks near my skill level...I don't foresee that changing. Not to mention Blue rogue n lain were DQ'd. so it was more like 7 entrants, and 5 people who actually got to play....

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... Eon, what if they come in with you to make sure we're not rapists? I mean, when you have 20+ people playing video games on numerous TVs, it should be quite obvious what's happening...

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Oh I've tried. Now that I'm back with a friend though, maybe they'll rethink it...Last time I tried was one of Yoshi's tournies, and back then I wasn't in renewed contact with my friend Dan...Now that me n him are back in contact, maybe they'll let me...Who knows. Yeah, my mother stopped by at TYM8....funnily enough, it was almost a half an hour before anyone else came, and an hour or so before ITT actually got there xD lol. So my mother ended up not talkin to anyone except one of the guys who worked there so I was lucky then....Who knows. Guess I'll have to adopt the old adage of 'Sit n hope they let me go since its a half an hour away and we may not have money for the tournies although I suppose I could just do friendlies...'

And I'm not arguring that I enjoyed the matches, and I probably got vastly better compared to when I had arrived...but sometimes ya want a challenge from someone closer to your level :/

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Ugh. Unfortunately, my family has issues if it's 'at some guys house'
TOTALLY feel your pain, totally understood. Now i'm in college it's much easier to do stuff lol.

Anyways... I go to school at Case Western right in Cleveland, and i'm totally lost at where to find brawlers better than me to improve on, i can handle every brawler on my floor and most around me no problem at all.

Anyone near campus or willing to visit to play? :confused:

Silhouette

Smash Lord
TOTALLY feel your pain, totally understood. Now i'm in college it's much easier to do stuff lol.

Anyways... I go to school at Case Western right in Cleveland, and i'm totally lost at where to find brawlers better than me to improve on, i can handle every brawler on my floor and most around me no problem at all.

Anyone near campus or willing to visit to play? :confused:
Well for some reason I can't leave you a profile message, so ill leave these here.

Heres some upcoming tourneys, you can post in these threads to find people in your area or get a ride if you want:
OC#9: Delta Upsilon IV - April 3rd -Columbus, OH
Step Yo Game up Cleveland : April 10th -Twinsburgh, OH
Michigan Ball Z 2 April 17 -Waterford, MI
The Event With All The Side Events! April 17th -Lexington, KY
Springfield, OH - Nope's Monthly "M2k's Montage Moments" (Apr. 24th) -Springfield, OH

Hope this helps, glad to see the scene growing.

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Ok I'll try and see what i can do, it's kind of tough to devote a whole day or two to commit to a tournament that's not nearby or within Cleveland.
Thanks for the info!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah it can be tough, especially while trying to keep up with college classes.

but once you make it to some local events, i'm sure you'll find how great the Ohio brawl scene is.

and if you want to choose a specific out of cleveland event to try, I would definitely recommend Nopes monthly in Springfield. (although it is a a House tournament, its one of the best around.)

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Yeah i'll see what i can manage to make it to, out of all the Nopes looks like the one im least likely to attend due to a 3 hr drive... I hope to have a car next semester so that will work a little better.

Next question, what is a "House" tournament? Just a different style? (Anyone can answer this for me lol)
Bit of a Smash noob at all the jargon, i apologize in advance with some of these questions :D

TheKiest

Smash Champion
House tournament just means the venue is at someones House.

Also, most people in the Cleveland/Akron/Kent area (also called NEOH on the boards) usually carpool to those events. I'd try to contact them.

I'm not sure when the next NEOH tournament is either...

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Ok i've already joined the NEOH social group, i'll poke around there and see how friendly everyone is (I'm sure they're all a blast )

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so we all know that Northwest Ohio (the Toledo area) has been pretty much dead Smash-wise except for a few tournaments this year. Well, we're expecting that to change this summer. :) Someone I just met is starting a crew and we're having weekly/bi-weekly Smashfests with people at local colleges. Right now we're starting out small, and not having any tournies with pots, but expect a scene to develop somewhat soon. :)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Anyone in the Northern Ohio area (or anywhere for people who just wanna travel for the sake of anime/gaming) wanna come to an anime con this weekend? Im staffing a panel for Shinbokucon in Elyria and if there is a smash tournament, there needs to be some major representin'! And i wanna meet/hug other smashers <3

...And if there is no tournament....I (or preferably someone else) SHALL FIX THAT.

EDIT: okay now im not sure if im staffing or even going because i might have a volleyball game...but i still wanna hear of people repping the brawl scene :'3

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
I'm gonna post any MLG updates as I notice them.
DAY 2
Midwest Related
-Nope loses to Nick Riddle in the round 2 of winners.
-Lou defeats KirinBlaze in round 2 of winners but loses to Fatal in round 3.
-Y.b.M. loses to Redhalbeard in round 2 of winners.
-King Yoshi loses to shiek 1287 in round 2 of winners.
-Kel makes it to round 3 of winners where he gets stomped by DEHF.
-Everyone with the word "judge" in his name has lost in round 1 or 2 of winners.
-Lain is steamrolling his way through winners, beating a bunch of players I've never heard of. He plays Tearbear in round 4.
Big Upsets
Ultimate Razor loses to TheJoey095 in round 1 of winners.
Tearbear defeats Rookie in round 2 of winners.
Casey Ertle (probably dekar) defeats Co18 in round 2 of winners.
Malcom is timed out by DrewDaDash 's D3 in round 1 of winners. (He had a 1% lead)
Chaz defeats Neo in marth dittos (2-1).

DAY 3
-Nope was elminated by Masky's Wario (2-0)
I went to a smashfest and stopped updating.

Top Bottom