• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

AprilShaw

aka Logan
You know what I'm just realizing? As to why there is a lot of hate in competitive smash (for which there are many reasons) is the whole "play gay" thing. I have made a comparison that I think describes it best. Look at the video of m2k playing shiek against some scrub called "you came all this way to get jabbed" and you'll see that playing like that in smash is like a hockey team playing a game with a sumo wrestler for a goalie. Now I realize there are many flaws with this comparison/analogy, like the "there are ways around it" and the "you can still win" bit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you don't see hockey teams do it, because it's an unspoken rule not to do something that IS within the rules technically (no rule on height/size of players) that gives yourself an unfair advantage.

Thoughts?? I wanna dissect this more with you guys.
"Playing gay" isn't an unfair advantage though, that's the biggest difference. It's an advantage earned by having the mindset of winning above all else.

Honestly I wish more people played purely to win. I think awesome things can still happen when your only goal is to win, and they're usually way cooler. Going back to m2k, he's always in it to win, and he has some of the coolest plays/combos in smash history. Same can be said for Armada too.

Honestly, it's so rare in any other game to get as much hate for playing to win as there is in smash. Like, the absolute worst I've heard from shoutcasters in other games is that something's boring to watch, but they at least still respect the players for trying their best to win. There's nothing more lame when a player is disrespected for trying to win. That same logic is why a lot of casual players hate competitive players.

Also, if you think smash can be lame... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkaI0_f7ek

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
Its the playing to win over playing for honnor
Playing by rules of honor is silly

When the game only knows wining and losing

Play by the rules of the game and not by ur made up pride

:phone:

gouda

Smash Journeyman
englililsh?

to clarify this recent meditation on the game wasn't out of spite or frustration. Truthfully I haven't played in months, and I couldn't tell you why.

Really good stuff guys. Swag put it simply, and Logan and Chris definitely narrowed the focus.

I find it hard to both do everything to win in this game *and* retain that honorable play business. The winning mentality should always be respected (which I do respect it) but it doesn't have to be liked.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Don't they already put the biggest guy on goalkeeper? It's just logical.

Also, hockey teams always draft the best players first. Such tier wĥores! Don't they know how to play with honor?

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Playing to win and being honorable go hand in hand in my opinion. If someone is taking every chance they have to win no matter what that is (shine spikes, gimps, chain grabs, camping, etc) shows more respect to the player than if they were trying to play with honor.

But i guess it all depends on what your definition of honor is which is the biggest problem with the honor code in general.

Someone playing to win against you is probably the highest sign of respect in a competitive community. Considering sandbagging is so looked down upon.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Can tell never played sports.
What's that supposed to mean? People play incredibly gay in sports all the time. Players are always opting for the easiest avenue that provides the best benefit.

Playing "gay" is merely taking an avenue of play that gives you the highest possible chance of winning, ignoring whether or not its simplistic or easier to perform. It happens anywhere, but many sports have just accepted that certain advantages are parts of the game. It's frustrating to play against for sure, since you feel you aren't being rewarded for doing something more complicated, but that's life. Every single mid tier and up champion in this game has multiple things they can do that are really gay. Not taking advantage of your skillset or options isn't being honorable; it's just being stupid.

FEED ME YOUR HATE!

Renth

Smash Hero
Gay.

=/=

Good.

I should be careful though, last time i said something was gay in an open forum this one random guy complained at me for hours about how its insensitive. I said to him, Bro why are you being so gay? He then stopped talking to me. Was a victory.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
The only thing I can think of that would be different in sports would be the whole teammate situation. If one of your teammates doesn't respect the way you play, it could affect how he/she plays with you.

Fortunately, in Smash, you can just switch teammates.

As I have stated before, complaining that someone's play style is "gay" does nothing to change the situation. Yes, it can be frustrating, but as Naka said, it helps to make new discoveries that help change the game.

Winning.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Someone playing to win against you is probably the highest sign of respect in a competitive community. Considering sandbagging is so looked down upon.
This, completely. I never get angry (at my opponent) if I'm getting camped to all hell and back. I might get angry at myself for not dealing with it, but I get much more frustrated when people just don't even try to win. It's such a cop out too, it's like, if they win they just say they're so good they win without trying, and if they lose, they just say they weren't trying.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I never really got the whole "I wasn't trying" thing.

But. . .you lost.

Obviously you needed to try more.

I also don't get why being a "try-hard" is looked down upon at large. Like people need to "get a life," or something.

We're all playing the same game.

I especially admire players that admit when they were trying their hardest.

jbro

Smash Ace
i have no idea who the **** to play as this weekend
i want to bust out the ganon but i feel like i'll get demolished
the fox is looking decent but not even an 1/8th as good as experienced foxes

i'll probably get nervous and play sheik

gouda

Smash Journeyman
I especially admire players that admit when they were trying their hardest.
^This. Well said. perhaps then it is not the player that plays their hardest, or the team that hires the fat goalie to increase the chances for winning, that is the problem. maybe it is community reception of techniques to win.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i've always been sorta surprised at how small most of the great goalkeepers are, especially dominik hasek (6'1, 165). you either have to be the size of the goal (6 feet wide, 4 feet tall) or a really good athlete to shuffle sideways on ice and deal with pucks coming at you at 100 mph.

as for melee, you can either play for fun, or play to win. playing to learn is somewhere in the middle. i think that camping isn't particularly fun, but is useful for learning. i tend to only play to win during tournament and money matches, and maybe at points where i've been playing to learn for a while during a session and want to take it to that next step. but i tend to make it fairly obvious to the other party that that's happening too (flip the hood).

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so i think things will happen july 30th, two weeks from today. and by things happening i mean i'm coming through for an evening with you guys on my road trip.

you should all like play me and stuff because i lurk your thread and you're cool and stuff.

:ganondorf:

Renth

Smash Hero
so i think things will happen july 30th, two weeks from today. and by things happening i mean i'm coming through for an evening with you guys on my road trip.

you should all like play me and stuff because i lurk your thread and you're cool and stuff.

I live two hours from these guys or id happily play some sets with you.

TOO MUCH GANON!!!

nah im pumped
I am Ganon.

ganon too based
pittsburgh = ganontown

i learned last night that jab to jab to jab to dair is a combo
believe it
uhhh.....

Renth

Smash Hero
renth i love you
that being said i've taken the local ganon crown

yeeeeeeeeah boooooyyy

Money Match me for title of "Local Ganon" (even though I live 2 hours away)

I really wanted to play silent swag last weekend while I was there. I want to play everyone I can that I've never played before. I'll get at that kid next time I guess.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord

But, I...! Wait, I'm going to be in Wilmington on the 28th. Are you going to to be gone then? :c

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
Money Match me for title of "Local Ganon" (even though I live 2 hours away)

I really wanted to play silent swag last weekend while I was there. I want to play everyone I can that I've never played before. I'll get at that kid next time I guess.
We will play...... when i see u in HELL!!!
Moohahahahaha

Renth

Smash Hero
renth, in what direction is this 2 hours away? if it's north or south, i might be able to swing through.
Colver PA, if you got a gps handy look at it. Closest town Ebensburg, Johnstown Altoona area. Vudujin picked me up last weekend. took him an hour and a half to get my place from where we played smash.

We will play...... when i see u in HELL!!!
Moohahahahaha

Hell it is, We will use flaming gamecube controllers while sitting on thrones made out of thorns and dead people.

Top Bottom