• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Link Stage Discussion- Free discussion on any stage not covered

Deva

Smash Lord
....aren't both of those stages banned?

Norfair is No Fair!
Actuallly theyre both legal. Electroplankton is controversial, but both are allowed at all the tournaments I've been to and any I've checked the rules for in other locations.

oh and as far as Link having a predictable location, that's true, but you opponent is even more predictable. you can easily control their position on the stage with projectiles and even more so when the lava comes. And as for Zair, you dont always need zair to win. The stage is set up where Link has so many advantages that it outweighs his lack of zair. And even then I still use it quite a lot on that stage. Honestly, I dont see Link having a bad matchup against anyone there. Only ones to watch out for are Marth, since he has such a good game with platforms, and Snake just due to his u-tilt >_>. I mean hey, this stage has obviously been working for me. And even in those matchups, Link's not at a disadvantage, I just wouldnt really say he has a noticable advantage. It'll even the playing field if anything.

IMO, PS should be banned. There are way too many wall transformations, and with DDD's cg and Marth and other character's wall infinates, it's horrible for Link.

and yeah the edge is gey.

I'd almost say make PS2 legal. I've seen quite a bit of talk about it becoming just that. The main problem is the air transformation. I mean honestly it'd be a great stage for Link.

D

Deleted member

ewwwwwwww ps2 and electroplankton are #bad!!!!!

i seriously hate both of those stages lol

ps1 on the other hand is awesome

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
D: I love Electroplankton and Norfair. lol

PS2, I can't say I love it but I've had some funny arse KO's there. Such as Grabbing someone while on the treadmill and they arn't. Then they don't expect it and I just pummle them till we both fall off and I Nair gimp to Zair edgehog. Rofl.

Deva

Smash Lord
ewwwwwwww ps2 and electroplankton are #bad!!!!!

i seriously hate both of those stages lol

ps1 on the other hand is awesome
ps1 WAS awesome in melee. They totally ruined it in Brawl. Like, 20% of the cast has wall infinates now, so that stage is really retarted if you dont have one. along with the gey edges and retarted windmill that has walls on every arm >_>, it's like they took everything that made PS a good stage and added a few ounces of suck, or more like a few pounds, to it and you have the new PS1.

PS2 is great except for the air transformation. I'd really like it to be legal. Link+float+dair=^_^. It's like the PS1 with one gey transformation and good ledges, whereas PS1 has like 3 gey transformations in this game, and the worst ledges in the game. I honestly hate that stage cuz you can rarely use Link's up b and make it.

As far as Electroplankton, give it a shot. Hanenbow is a lot like RC except constant platforms so Link has less of a chance of getting gimped.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Corneria...

Pros:
Short boundaires on top and sides make for easy KO's with Link's power moves.
Shinanigans with the ledge on the fin of the ship with your Zair.
Can play a high-ground/low-ground game.

Cons:
Can get shot by the ship's blasters when recovering on the front with Zair. (@_@ it's happened to me)
WALL CG INFINITES. DON'T GET CAUGHT. >_> <_<

I guess it's an overall ok stage for Link. >_> Except for if you're stupid like me and get caught by DDD next to the wall. It's only happened once but still... >_>

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Corneria...

Pros:
Short boundaires on top and sides make for easy KO's with Link's power moves.
Shinanigans with the ledge on the fin of the ship with your Zair.
Can play a high-ground/low-ground game.

Cons:
Can get shot by the ship's blasters when recovering on the front with Zair. (@_@ it's happened to me)
WALL CG INFINITES. DON'T GET CAUGHT. >_> <_<

I guess it's an overall ok stage for Link. >_> Except for if you're stupid like me and get caught by DDD next to the wall. It's only happened once but still... >_>
Thanks. Corneria's day had to be lengthened out to today because I forgot to edit the title. :p That was stupid of me. So hopefully I will get more data. :D

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
this is becoming a good discussion, yet i suggest you develop the OP even more by adding a rating as to overall effectiveness for Link(sorta like a tier list of stages), and what character match-ups on that stage are beneficial for Link. that would prolly take awhile but it would be uber cool.

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
Final Destination is a good Link stage. It's good for the projectiles, and Link's game is based on the ground, mostly. It is also the reach of his FS, providing you're at the same height of the target.

Also, off topic;

PS2 is quite good, but I still love PS1. The problem is, of course, the stupid windmill.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
this is becoming a good discussion, yet i suggest you develop the OP even more by adding a rating as to overall effectiveness for Link(sorta like a tier list of stages), and what character match-ups on that stage are beneficial for Link. that would prolly take awhile but it would be uber cool.
Yeah I've been thinking about that and I'm going to do after all the stages. :D

Deva

Smash Lord
but.....Shadow moses isnt legal....so what's the point????

but anyways, moving on. Hannenbow=One of Link's best stages.

Tons of platforms for camping, lot's of platforms above to jump around on throwing bombs down to force your opponent up and a low ceiling for Dair kills. Even the sides have relatively close blast zones so up-b becomes a kill move on this stage again lol.Use this with Norfair and you have a winning combination.

D

Deleted member

they let you CP that stage in tournies deva?

all the tournies ive been to its been uber banned

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
When facing a non projectile character the advantage shifts to link mightly. But trying to make contact in this stage would be a real dum move, any character with good ariel attacks like MK, Peach and G&W will give Link problems.

D

Deleted member

Lylat Cruise

Advantages

- platforms allow you to auto cancel, which helps you hit higher opponents
- stage tilts to let you spam more
- ledges equally gay everybody lol

disadvantages

- if the stage is tilting while you try to zair edge guard, the claw shot won't activate and you'll SD
- stage tilting might eat your projectiles

i couldn't think of too many things lol, but somehow this is my favorite stage...unless im using peach....

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
Lylat Cruise:
Dairing is a bit harder in this stage because of the way the above platforms are placed. The stage Tiltiing helps out projectiles though, and since its a nuetral stage it all depends on the character your facing. Tbh i dont like this stage to much because dair is usually my kill move.

Frigate Orphean:
I think its a great stage for link since its basically like halberd or yoshis island. Most of the battle is on the low level and if they try and escape from his projectiles, by camping on the top level make him pay with some Usmash. Very bad thing about this stage is those dam legdes.

Deva

Smash Lord
they let you CP that stage in tournies deva?

all the tournies ive been to its been uber banned
Yeah, it's a legal cp. I could see it being debatable though so it wouldnt be legal everywhere. But Norfair is legal as far as my knowledge goes, so use that with RC if Electroplankton is banned in your region.

D

Deleted member

they banned norfair too lol, im getting the shaft when it comes to link stages it seems.

Deva

Smash Lord
Well, if I were you I'd push for getting those stages made legal. I'll post some vids soon to show how well those stages can work out for Link. More than anything, it's the fact that you use a completely different playstyle on that stage, so it really throws people off when you're using the same character lol.

D

Deleted member

nah, i hate both of those stages anyway so its no loss for me

Atire0

Smash Cadet
*ignores huge wall of text* LOL thats too good. Really nice xD. Look at that queer 0 at the end of my name my number of posts..... Frkn smashboards

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I usually have trouble playing on Brinstar... the uneven platforms and small main platform make it awkward and difficult to use arrows. The clostriphobic size of the stage make it hard to pull out bombs without being punished. DAC acts strangely around the weird stuff holding the stage together. (Link won't slide over it) Although his Zair and aerial game remain effective, losing almost all of his projectiles hurts Link greatly. In my opinion, one of Link's worst stages.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Link's high falling speed is bad news on Brinstar. It means less time to hang around and hope for the acid to rise. It means you bounce off the acid more times as you ride it back up to safety. The short recovery means that a higher acid level is needed to make it to the top at all. Thus even though the acid technically helps recovery, it helps other characters much more than it helps Link.

Link has trouble in close quarters battles, and that's exactly what the highest acid level forces.

The jump-through stage can lead to some annoying gimps - make sure you sweet spot the ledge, because Link is not going to get his feet above the stage with his lousy recovery. Consider using the claw shot if you're akwardly close to the stage or if the stage is separating or merging.

Link usually likes some unevenness in the stage because it hurts the projectiles of the traditionally superior spammers like Pit and Falco more than it hurts his own. But with the damagable goo all over the place, Link's projectiles are also shut down. The goo also messes up Usmash, giving it so much delay between hits that it becomes punishable - be careful. That same delay can be used to throw off people's timings on defense with some creativity.

In short, Brinstar is a stage to avoid as Link. Don't choose it.

Top Bottom