• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Don't talk in facts when you have no clue.

I've played Mario RPG and I found Geno to be rather boring.

Besides, hardly anyone knows Geno anyway... why not settle for a better known Mario rep, like Bowser Jr? At least he appeared in multiple games.

And don't give me that "because of popularity" comeback... because with that logic, Pac-Man should be included. Because well.... everyone knows Pac-Man, even people that never play videogames. :dizzy:
1.) Opinion.

2.) Geno is a WTF character; the fact of the matter is, no more people knew who Game & Watch or Ice Climbers were than Geno, had they not appeared in a smash game. Appearing in multiple games does not matter, as we see Shiek, Roy, and Marth.

3.) Geno's popularity could be heavily boosted by Brawl, kind of like how Ice Climbers, and Game & Watch have risen in the-know of current era characters.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
http://gonintendo.com/?p=30026

Gonintendo is not leaning towards SMRPG in any way possible, and are not fans, they are reporting the exact same thing however.

- Square-Enix is considering bringing back Super Mario RPG by making a sequel on the DS. The sequel would include more characters from the Final Fantasy universe.

- Ogre Battle may be heading back to the Wii, and Yasumi Matsuno would be involved

- Camelot is bringing back the Golden Sun series by making a Wii installment. Fighting would be mostly focused on the Nunchuk.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Bah, it's bad enough that SMRPG was just Final Fantasy with Mario characters. They don't need to make its sequel MORE FF oriented. >_>

Machspeed

Smash Lord
alright, i'll give you that. But there was no mention of what mario characters would be returning. To me it sounds like its gonna be a big advertisement for final fantasy stuffed inside a mario game.
But then again, why would Nintendo be covering up something like this, had they not be trying to hide something?

And yeah, it's just a thing with Final Fantasy, they love to shove in all their characters at whatever chance they may get :ohwell:.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
it doesn't seem like they are hiding anything to me. Nothing in the wording made it seem like they were hiding stuff, that they knew of.
The fact maybe that it's not announced yet on any site?

They said a game people have been waiting for years for - the SMRPG even got a petition with like 4000 signatures (or around there) sent to Nintendo demanding a sequel.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Besides, hardly anyone knows Geno anyway... why not settle for a better known Mario rep, like Bowser Jr? At least he appeared in multiple games.
With that logic, Waluigi, Daisy, and Birdo should be playable too...

*add in* To the person who guessed it was the Sonic RPG, Sega already offically announced that (was it?) at E for All and said what company would be developing it. I believe they also said that it was going to be for the PSP. I don't think Nintendo would classify that as "the big one" anyway because even a lot of his fans are getting sick of the Sonic Spinoffs.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I guess geno is all that and a box o hat, with a good petion, gezze how could he not be in brawl, wait why didi i doubt him in the first place

1. That rumor has no bearing on this discussion - at this point, it has been shown to be most likely fake.

2. I'm not going to complain about people wanting Geno in, but don't compare him to Ice Climbers (one of Nintendo's earliest games) or Mr. Game & Watch (Nintendo's second character ever made).

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
1. That rumor has no bearing on this discussion - at this point, it has been shown to be most likely fake.

2. I'm not going to complain about people wanting Geno in, but don't compare him to Ice Climbers (one of Nintendo's earliest games) or Mr. Game & Watch (Nintendo's second character ever made).
truth. They my also be old, and ice climbers may have been in only one game, but they are both MUCH more important to nintendo 's history then geno was or ever will be.

D

Deleted member

How is it a problem? They all have things in common.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
truth. They my also be old, and ice climbers may have been in only one game, but they are both MUCH more important to nintendo 's history then geno was or ever will be.
Simply put, no.

Geno = played a major role in Mario's first RPG ever.
Mario = Nintendo.

At least more important to Nintendo than the IC's; not too sure about Game & Watch.

Nobody has disproven it, comes from an official RPG magazine, and Nintendo claims to have a RPG under wraps that people have been waiting for years for.

It's technically more on the verge than ever, now.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
so all of the sudden geno represents all of mario rpg? I don't think so. Geno DOES NOT REPRESENT MARIO RPG. Mario does, hence the name. The fact of the matter is there is no way you can say geno is more important then ice climbers or g&w. Ice climbers was a popular game on nintendo's first home console, helpng boost sales leading to nintendo being able to make more gaming systems. G&W i don't even need to exlpain cause everyone already knows the history behind him..

Machspeed

Smash Lord
so all of the sudden geno represents all of mario rpg? I don't think so. Geno DOES NOT REPRESENT MARIO RPG. Mario does, hence the name. The fact of the matter is there is no way you can say geno is more important then ice climbers or g&w. Ice climbers was a popular game on nintendo's first home console, helpng boost sales leading to nintendo being able to make more gaming systems. G&W i don't even need to exlpain cause everyone already knows the history behind him..
Mario was the main character because he HAD TO BE. If Nintendo were to be developing a game for Mario with a third party company, do you honestly think Nintendo will let him be a side character? Never happened, never will. Even then, Geno was far more significant to the plot and story than Mario was. Geno is representative of the story line, if you played it, more than Mario is by a long shot.

Mario's RPG set the ground basis for every RPG you see today, including Paper Mario, M&L:SS, and just about everyone spawned with Mario in it. That's pretty important to me.

1. There's no such thing as an official RPG magazine.

2. Ice Climbers only had one hurdle to overcome, Geno has to leap even further to get into Brawl (G&W had no hurdles).

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
1. But Mario games uaslly sell much better.

2. No, he's not relevant to this arguement. I support Roy because he's a really cool character and I like Fire Emblem. Also, Roy isn't obscure.

3. But can you prove it?
1. But unlike past Mario games, this one was overseen by both the PSone and N64 making it underrated to the point where it's as underrated as Shenmue.

2. Yes, you talked about obscurity and how popular Geno isn't it. both which Roy wasn't either. And yes, Roy was obscure virtually nobody in America knew who he was prior Melee's release.

It's already been proven to you twice.

@ the_capt_falcon_master: Roy was used for advertisement, true, but Geno could used for the same, due to the fact there is a large rumor going around about the making of SMRPG 2, and the fact that SMRPG hasn't been released on the VC yet.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Well boys, I hope you are all warmed up for Judgment Day. We will either be happy smiling Geno users, or sad Geno fans.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
now it's come down to "Geno has nothing to advertise."

I literally laugh at some of you people.
Geno has nothing to advertise. He was in a forgotten game from 11 years ago, and while there used to be some plans for a sequel (not anymore, I haven't heard of it since) it was too late when the news was out.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Geno has nothing to advertise. He was in a forgotten game from 11 years ago, and while there used to be some plans for a sequel (not anymore, I haven't heard of it since) it was too late when the news was out.
If it was really "forgotten", not many people would've suggested Geno in the first place. Not only that it is the number one most downloaded game on roms and limewire. It's not really as "forgotten" as you make it out to be. Not only that but SMRPG has yet to be added to the VC, so yes there goes your "Geno has nothing to advertise" arguments.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
1.) Opinion.

2.) Geno is a WTF character; the fact of the matter is, no more people knew who Game & Watch or Ice Climbers were than Geno, had they not appeared in a smash game. Appearing in multiple games does not matter, as we see Shiek, Roy, and Marth.

3.) Geno's popularity could be heavily boosted by Brawl, kind of like how Ice Climbers, and Game & Watch have risen in the-know of current era characters.
1. Geno being awesome is also an opinion, your point being?

2. There is no such thing as a 'WTF character', it's just a title people made up for Mr Game & Watch. Also, there is a big difference between Geno and Marth/Roy, because Geno isn't the star of his own game. And Sheik would be in the same boat as Geno, wouldn't it be for the undeniable fact that Sheik IS Zelda, and Zelda is a key character.

3. That's no reason. They might as well include Boshi because his inclusion might boost his popularity. You can say that for every character.

Conclusion: Popularity is one thing, but relevance to a series is another, and you guys are overlooking that. Even though nobody knew Ice Climbers, they were unique and were the stars of their own games. Double check it if you like, every single character that has been revealed so far has had a key role in their game series, something that Geno is lacking.

I'm not trying to bash you guys, I'm just saying that popularity alone isn't everything.
And the reason I even started posting here is because someone actually dare to state as fact that everyone who has played Mario RPG likes Geno. And I just had to correct him, which is all I tried to do in my first post.

Anyway, I hope for you guys that I'm wrong, and that his popularity really does the trick. But at least be prepared for disappointment, because Geno is really an obscure character that hardly anyone knows.... and no, don't bring in the Ice Climber/Game & Watch argument, because honestly, those two are far more recognizable as Nintendo characters. I'm pretty sure that lots and lots of people knew Game & Watch already, they just never made the link to Nintendo. Besides, I doubt that he even had a name before his inclusion in Melee.

Long story short... main character of one single game = chance like Ice Climbers.
Side character in a single game = minimal chances, probably lower than Game & Watch.

- If they're basing their character choices on the game industry / nintendo gamers, Geno's chances are minimal.

- If they're basing their character choices on the Smash series fanbase... Geno has a decent chance.

I'm afraid for you guys they're going with the first option. :\

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
1. Geno being awesome is also an opinion, your point being?

2. There is no such thing as a 'WTF character', it's just a title people made up for Mr Game & Watch. Also, there is a big difference between Geno and Marth/Roy, because Geno isn't the star of his own game. And Sheik would be in the same boat as Geno, wouldn't it be for the undeniable fact that Sheik IS Zelda, and Zelda is a key character.

3. That's no reason. They might as well include Boshi because his inclusion might boost his popularity. You can say that for every character.

Conclusion: Popularity is one thing, but relevance to a series is another, and you guys are overlooking that. Even though nobody knew Ice Climbers, they were unique and were the stars of their own games. Double check it if you like, every single character that has been revealed so far has had a key role in their game series, something that Geno is lacking.

I'm not trying to bash you guys, I'm just saying that popularity alone isn't everything.
And the reason I even started posting here is because someone actually dare to state as fact that everyone who has played Mario RPG likes Geno. And I just had to correct him, which is all I tried to do in my first post.

Anyway, I hope for you guys that I'm wrong, and that his popularity really does the trick. But at least be prepared for disappointment, because Geno is really an obscure character that hardly anyone knows.... and no, don't bring in the Ice Climber/Game & Watch argument, because honestly, those two are far more recognizable as Nintendo characters. I'm pretty sure that lots and lots of people knew Game & Watch already, they just never made the link to Nintendo. Besides, I doubt that he even had a name before his inclusion in Melee.

Long story short... main character of one single game = chance like Ice Climbers.
Side character in a single game = minimal chances, probably lower than Game & Watch.

- If they're basing their character choices on the game industry / nintendo gamers, Geno's chances are minimal.

- If they're basing their character choices on the Smash series fanbase... Geno has a decent chance.

I'm afraid for you guys they're going with the first option. :\
1) Opinion is opinion, don't present them as fact.

2) Falco says hi. What's your point? Also there are such things as "WTF" characters. They are characters not expected by others even if they are expected by the few.

3) That's a stupid illogical argument in itself. If that were true they would've added Waluigi and Daisy. The fact that sets all these characters apart is the fact Geno does generate more popularity than the others.

We're not basing his inclusion on popularity alone, you underestimate how much SMRPG had an impact on not only the Mario franchise, but Nintendo itself. Put bluntly, it was the first game Nintendo and a 3rd party ever worked together for the first time, something that allowed Nintendo to open up to other companies and let them help make some of their games (i.e. Mario Party, Donkey Konga).

- I'm not even sure what you mean by this point, many Nintendo gamers have suggested his inclusion in Brawl and would be pleased if they got him. The character himself is important to the industry.

- As said with the point above, many fans have requested his inclusion, he tied for first place in the polls. His chances are high despite what you think. I would say he has an 80% likely chance of being in Brawl.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Mario was the main character because he HAD TO BE. If Nintendo were to be developing a game for Mario with a third party company, do you honestly think Nintendo will let him be a side character? Never happened, never will. Even then, Geno was far more significant to the plot and story than Mario was. Geno is representative of the story line, if you played it, more than Mario is by a long shot.

Mario's RPG set the ground basis for every RPG you see today, including Paper Mario, M&L:SS, and just about everyone spawned with Mario in it. That's pretty important to me.
Well Rambi should be in because he could have been the main character!

Top Bottom