• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Ack, double post, might as well use it.

We've known that there have been Final Fantasy composers in Brawl for well over a year.
We knew there was *ONE* FF composer for over a year.
We didn't know a FF game designer was helping out with SSE until today.

I applaud your efforts at trying arguments, though.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
This is so stupid.

Geno is obscure and the only thing he did was co-star in one Mario game that didn't sell very well. Plus he's 3rd party.

No chance in hell he's getting in.
GOD BLESS YOU!
I was almost brainwashed by these Geno lovin' woodwork teachers....

What was I thinkin'? *Hugs sanity* :bee:

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers are obscure, along with Game & Watch.

Both are main characters of their games, as you know.

With Square-Enix's involvement in Brawl, they could just hand him over as they are going on and working on the project with Nintendo; he could very well be the last 3rd party.

Assist Trophy is something fanboys shuoud learn about.

You don't WANT to see him getting in, but the reality is, it's not as impossible as you'd like to believe.
Geno being an AT isn't impossible either.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Both are main characters of their games, as you know.
I assure you, being the main character of a game does not matter, as Zelda is in the game, along with Luigi (yes, you can argue that they have SOME playable appearances and are re-occuring, but the fact of the matter is, Mario and Link are FAR more important).

Assist Trophy is something fanboys shuoud learn about.
Yes, Matthieu, just get an AT from a third party company.
Not to mention, completely disregard the demand for Geno and bring in another SE character as the representative.
Okay, champ.

Geno being an AT isn't impossible either.
I thought we've told you already, either Geno's playable or he's not in at all.
His chance at being an AT is next to none.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Less than a week now, and we'll know. Either Geno'll be playable, and we'll have moved on to an official Geno board; or he won't be, and we won't need this topic anymore. Either way, this topic will be over in less than a week.
we've been saying that for weeks now...

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
I assure you, being the main character of a game does not matter, as Zelda is in the game, along with Luigi (yes, you can argue that they have SOME playable appearances and are re-occuring, but the fact of the matter is, Mario and Link are FAR more important).

The difference is that Zelda and Luigi appeared in some of the most popular games of all time.

Yes, Matthieu, just get an AT from a third party company.
Not to mention, completely disregard the demand for Geno and bring in another SE character as the representative.
Okay, champ.

Geno is supposedly ''easy to get''. So he might just be an AT for all we know.

I thought we've told you already, either Geno's playable or he's not in at all.
His chance at being an AT is next to none.

And Koarin, you cas say the 35 roster is fake, and still not support Geno. Just think of that fact that there's no Mario newcomer, and that ROB64 got in over Krystal.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The difference is that Zelda and Luigi appeared in some of the most popular games of all time.
Sakurai says hi, and while he's at it he says, "Adding popular characters is boring, and I don't plan to add only popular characters."
Or something like that... you get the idea.

If he's so easy to get, why not just add another character?

Why cut off a character chances, if they have a perfect chance at playable, and add to the roster size? Adding another character would do nothing but please more people, won't harm the anti-supporters, while an AT would make many people angry.

I'm guessing you won't stop ranting on Geno until the minute he's confirmed.
If he's confirmed, what a glorious day that will be.

Wrath`

Smash Master
well Mathieu21 i do not think krystal deserves to get in over falco and wolf, so i guess we dont agree there, still besides bowser jr, who else can rep mario in a good way besides geno

GenoX

Smash Rookie
i have to say something, why are geno haters coming here, when us "geno fans" are having a conversation and the hype. Isnt there like 1 millon other threads, so why come in here and complain agianst 60 geno fan memebrs, GOOD FOR YOU YOU WANT HIM AS A AT. Sakurai seems not to give a sh*t.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I really hate the idea of having assist trophies. I think it was a waste of time to make assist trophies of random characters like Dr.Wright instead of making the character roster bigger with better characters. And its not like a character supporter will be happy their favorite character is AT'd.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
You guys are trying to get your hopes up from ridiculously fake ''leaks''. Pathetic.
*sighs*

By the time I realized this was fake (seconds after I posted it) this forum was down. There was nothing I could do to edit it.

DQP

Smash Ace
hooray for geno! he should totally be in brawl! although i'm the guy who wants just about everyone in ssbb (i even want master chief!).

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers are obscure, along with Game & Watch.

SMRPG sold 1.4 million in Japan alone when it released, which was a hell of alot of numbers back in the mid-90's.

With Square-Enix's involvement in Brawl, they could just hand him over as they are going on and working on the project with Nintendo; he could very well be the last 3rd party.

You don't WANT to see him getting in, but the reality is, it's not as impossible as you'd like to believe.
1.4 Million is pathetic for a Mario game and unlike Geno Game and Watch is a significant part of Nintendo's history. Sakurai probaly has a feitsh for the Ice Climbers or something. Besides ICs and Game and Watch are the main characters of there game. Characters like Zelda and Luigi weren't but they're reoccuring characters unlike Geno.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Ack, double post, might as well use it.

We knew there was *ONE* FF composer for over a year.
We didn't know a FF game designer was helping out with SSE until today.

I applaud your efforts at trying arguments, though.
Didn't sakurai just ask the guy and he said "WELL THEY COULD BE ON A BUS **** YOU I MADE FINAL FANTASY!'".

Besides wanna know who would be a good Square Enix rep? Cloud.

Why do you have to be such a ****? I'm refering to your last sentance.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
1.4 Million is pathetic for a Mario game and unlike Geno Game and Watch is a significant part of Nintendo's history. Sakurai probaly has a feitsh for the Ice Climbers or something.
HOW THE HELL DOES THIS GUY KEEP GETTING UNBANNED?!

Also: Hi guys! :D I haven't been posting here much (mostly been lurking and watching the chaos from afar)

I don't believe tis 35 character "leak". Weren't both forms of R.O.B deconfirmed a long time ago?

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
You guys are still worried about that 35 Character Roster? Seriously, calm down, that thing is looking fake for so many reasons. The main reason being that lack of a Mario newcomer. Don't you guys find it ridiculous that the series that represents Nintendo could get NO newcomer? The Mario series got three newcomers in Melee. THREE. Sakurai would have to be on some strong crack to not include at least one Mario newcomer in Brawl. The only ones that are suitable for that spot are Bowser Jr. and Geno. My prediction: Either one or both is going to make it in.

Now for something very random. I was recently listening to this song from the anime "Bleach" and I thought it would be the PERFECT song to play if Geno made his appearance in SE (If anime songs were allowed in Brawl). The song is called "Number One" and in Bleach, it always plays when a badass character makes a sudden appearance. It may sound like an old 80s song, but it would suit Geno's appearance perfectly. Just read the first half of the lyrics:

If you wanna see some action
Gotta be the center of attraction
Make sure that they got their eyes on you
Like a face that you see on every magazine

Be the focus of attention
Be the name that everyone must mention
Come out from the shadows, it's your time
'cause tonight is the night for everyone to see

It's natural
You know that this is where you got to be
It must the your destiny
Sensational
And you believe that
This is what you've waited for and
It's you that they all adore

Baby now you feel like number one
Shining bright for everyone
Living out your fantasy
The brightest star for all to see
Now you feel like number one
Shining bright for everyone
Living out your fantasy
The brightest star that's ever been

Couldn't you imagine Geno having that as his SE theme? Too bad anime could never be involved in Smash Bros. If you're interested, here's the whole song:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/89645dea-8afe-48e2-923d-c95787bbd7e5/Bleach-OST---21---Number-one

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The lyrics fit in perfectly! I can't say the same for the song becuz i never heard it and my computer's sound doesn't work.:ohwell:

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
doesn't mean he'll necessarily take him over Geno. or not have both; whichever you want to believe.

1.4 Million is pathetic for a Mario game
worldwide, it sold about as much as BOTH Pikmin games.

and unlike Geno Game and Watch is a significant part of Nintendo's history. Sakurai probaly has a feitsh for the Ice Climbers or something. Besides ICs and Game and Watch are the main characters of there game. Characters like Zelda and Luigi weren't but they're reoccuring characters unlike Geno.
three words to this whole paragraph: you aren't Sakurai. nobody knows what he considers worthy of Brawl. whether it's "for the fans" or some other thing most Geno haters force as a fact.

1. Mario fans enjoy Wario and DK typically. So in all intents and purposes, Mario got two new character - Wario and Diddy. Logically, Sakurai wanted to give adequate representation to other series outside of the Mario family.

2. But Olimar WAS the only new starring character from Nintendo from last gen.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
1. Mario fans enjoy Wario and DK typically. So in all intents and purposes, Mario got two new character - Wario and Diddy. Logically, Sakurai wanted to give adequate representation to other series outside of the Mario family.

2. But Olimar WAS the only new starring character from Nintendo from last gen.
You fail to understand that by SSBB's standards Wario and Diddy represent their series and their series alone. The reason why the Mario franchise is suppose to have the most reps is due to the fact that their franchise is the most important one to Nintendo. Even then, it's not like Sakurai is ignoring all other series and is adding as much reps as necessary for each one of them.

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
So in all intents and purposes, Mario got two new character - Wario and Diddy. Logically, Sakurai wanted to give adequate representation to other series outside of the Mario family.
That's right, he DID give representation to other series: WarioWare and Donkey Kong. Wario and Diddy, regardless of their involvement in the Mario Series, are representing their OWN series in Brawl. They don't even have the Mushroom Icon. They don't count as Mario representation.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Shadowbolt, I thought you had a guy that would link you info?
That guy failed me. Nevermind that.

Not like it matters now, anyway - we're less than a week away from all of the questions we've been asking, finally being answered.

Less than a week, people.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I'm back after a day of being locked out of the boards just like everyone else... While I was exploring Dover castle I came up with 10 reasons why I really don't like the supposed 35 character roster:

10. ROB... enough said. The idea that Sakurai and his staff were able to come up with a moveset for him but drew a complete blank when it came to characters like Lyn and Little Mac is an insult within itself.

9. Wolf instead of Krystal. She has easily played a bigger role in the past three games, is central to the plot in two of them, and is the first Nintendo female character since Samus to not only play a lead role in more then one canon game but to also be playable in one. Also, want to bet that Wolf is going to get Falco's old moveset? Any takers?

8. Snake. Yes, I said it, what of it? I was fine with Snake's addition at first but now that there's the possibility that him and Sonic are the only third party characters I'm really pissed off... At least Sonic has a decent amount of exclusives on the GBA and DS and the history of Sega and Nintendo's rivalry with him while Snake has, what, two Nintendo exclusives with the most recent one being 5 years ago? The fact that he pretty much got in because Sakurai and Kojima are really good friends really annoys me too... With MGS4 just around the corner, I really think Kojima took advantage of his friend for his own interests. You know, here's a thought; why not include a third party character that's ACTUALLY HAD A LONG STANDING HISTORY WITH NINTENDO! I mean, this game IS supposed to be celebrating Nintendo's history as a whole, isn't it? Why not have someone like Bomberman or Megaman, you know, characters that have been with Nintendo since the NES games, have decent Nintendo fanbases, and have more then a few Nintendo exclusives but I suppose that's asking too much...

7. Ness coming back. From what I've seen in gameplay videos and what I've read, Ness and Lucas play very similar roles in their respective games. It also doesn't help that their character designs are incredibly similar and how Lucas is essentially a blond Ness with a different hair style. From how things are playing out, Lucas is a "Luigified" version of Ness while I think it's safe to assume that Ness will be getting back most of his moves from Melee. PK Freeze instead of PK Flash and few subtle changes here and there; ZOMG, dA dIfFeReNcEs... At least Claus would have given the developers the oppurtunity to give us something new.

6. All except 3 of the new characters being "left overs" from Melee cutting room floor. Of characters that were either confirmed or rumored to be considered to be put in Melee, Captain Olimar, Ike, and Lucario are the only ones that were absent for obvious reasons. (It doesn't help that Ike's a Luigified Marth and how Lucario will probably play similarly to Mewtwo..)There is a decent amount of evidence regarding everyone else (ie; Wario, Pit, Metaknight, King Dedede, Snake, Diddy Kong, Lucas, the Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, and Sonic) showing that there cast aside ideas based on their standing in the 2001 Melee poll (King Dedede was first in his category; the Pokemon Trainer, Diddy, Metaknight, Wolf, and Wario were third in their's, and Pit appeared as well with 5 votes, just one more then what the Ice Climbers had) or in interviews (Sakurai made comments about Metaknight, Lucas, and King Dedede being left out, Kojima talked about Snake's consideration, and Naka talked about Sonic's).

5. Metroid's "new rep" being Zero Suit Samus. Yeah... do I really have to explain this one? I think there's a certain Zebesian dragon that people would have much rather seen.

4. Ness and Captain Falcon being unlockable again. I don't think I really have to explain this one either. Ness's return, I admit, was definately a surprize (but not a good one despite him being my best character in Melee) but having Captain Falcon unlockable again is an insult to everyone's intelligence considering how 1. the F-Zero icon was revealed last July, and 2. Hi... the icon's a FREAKIN' FALCON! No, I guess Sakurai wanted us to believe that the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt were going to be playable...

3. Most of the unlockable characters being from past games. Here are the unlockable characters according to the rumor: Ness, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Cell Shaded Young Link, Falco, Marth, Mr. Game and Watch, Lucario, Wolf, Snake, Sonic, and ROB. Now, class, please write an essay 200 words or less why I'm not happy with this... 9 of the 14 are from past games, 2 were revealed months ago (Snake and Sonic), 1 was dead obvious (Lucario), and I've already gone into why I don't like the last two. The fact that Sakurai pretty much admited that it'd be much easier to obtain unlockable characters this time around further increases my ire. It says to be "as far as the roster goes, we really didn't put that much thought into it so we really don't care if you find out who they are within a few days of buying the game."

2. According to Sakurai, 700 people have played some part in this game. 700... There are Hollywood blockbusters that have less people that work on them and cost 3-4 times as much to produce. Also, did Melee even have half that number? I honestly believe Brawl had more composers then Melee did programmers. Throw on top of that how Brawl was in development almost 3 times longer then Melee (27 months compared to Melee's 10; not to mention how Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Halo 3 and even several Final Fantasy games were made in less time), and how Nintendo even built an entire building specifically for the production of this (something I don't believe they've ever done) and you can understand my annoyance? All those people and all that talent and you can't come up with a more imaginative roster while smash fans as young as ten can? Am I the only person that sees something wrong with this?

And for the number one reason why I loathe the 35 character roster...

1. All the extra content and unlockables that Brawl has makes you wonder if the developers didn't misplace their time. Probably 300 assist trophies, probably 100 pokemon, probably 50-75 items, rumored to be 41 stages, rumored to be 400 music tracks, demos of at least 20 classic games, probably 600 trophies, God knows how many stickers, 4 different control schemes, Wifi play for all the Stadium modes, Spectator mode, elaborate cutscenes in the SSE, and the trophy shooter game. When you look at it like this, doesn't seem like a bit much? The Wifi play, the Stage Builder, the event modes, and the full blown Adventure mode are welcome additions obviously but couldn't they have stood on their own? Instead of 300 Assist trophies, wouldn't the fans have wanted a more diverse and imaganative roster? How about 150 Assist trophies and 40-45 unique (excluding transformations) characters? When you think of how most of the Assist trophies have updated character designs and their own unique moves it doesn't take long to jump aboard my train of thought. Was Spectator mode nessecary especially when all the matches are completely random? Were the game demos nessecary when most Smash fans are familar or have usually beaten the games that will be made available? Did the stickers really need to have power ups given to them? Do you guys understand what I'm getting at?

In the end, this game is going to be beyond epic. We will be playing it for years to come but with Nintendo going all out for everything else, why didn't they do so with the roster? Why is everything else a 10/10 while the roster feels like a 6/10 at best. It's like eating the best burger you've ever had and in the final bite, you bite into a part that's either completely charred or completely raw. It doesn't ruin the entire meal, perhaps, but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth and does ruin what could have been a perfect lunch...

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
^ You should publish that. Spot on.

Whatever roster comes our way, the characters we already have on the Dojo guarantees I'll love the game. I just know that if this supposed 35 roster is true, the roster could have vastly been improved upon.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Didn't sakurai just ask the guy and he said "WELL THEY COULD BE ON A BUS **** YOU I MADE FINAL FANTASY!'".

Why do you have to be such a ****? I'm refering to your last sentance.
That's who YOU want to see as a representative from Final Fantasy; doesn't mean Geno wouldn't be just as good a representative.

I don't understand what the hell you've just said, on your first point.

The reason being is because you don't have any logic behind your arguments, and you love to make assumptions.

1.4 Million is pathetic for a Mario game and unlike Geno Game and Watch is a significant part of Nintendo's history. Sakurai probaly has a feitsh for the Ice Climbers or something. Besides ICs and Game and Watch are the main characters of there game. Characters like Zelda and Luigi weren't but they're reoccuring characters unlike Geno.
No, 1.4 million is actually impressive for over 10 years ago, not to mention it released shortly before the N64, it had surprising sales.

What about Roy? Roy wasn't even IN a game before SSBM, and barely any people knew him. Was he a significant part of Nintendo's history?

Geno's lack of re-occurance in games isn't his fault. I'm sure you've heard of Square and Nintendo breaking up because of Square's sudden interest in Sony; hell Paper Mario was to be SMRPG2. Here's an interesting little fact for you: Square tossed around the idea of Geno being the main character of the sequel to the game. Zelda and Luigi didn't have the obstacle of being developed by a secondary company, hindering his chances to appear in a second, third, and fourth game. Sakurai apparently likes Geno too, according to the poll, just as he likes the Ice Climbers, and that poll is really the only bit of proof we have to suspect a characters' inclusion.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
In the end, this game is going to be beyond epic. We will be playing it for years to come but with Nintendo going all out for everything else, why didn't they do so with the roster? Why is everything else a 10/10 while the roster feels like a 6/10 at best. It's like eating the best burger you've ever had and in the final bite, you bite into a part that's either completely charred or completely raw. It doesn't ruin the entire meal, perhaps, but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth and does ruin what could have been a perfect lunch...
For all the things you posted, but specially for this one, I thank you. You've made me more certain that the 35 character roster is BS, and that we are looking at a 40-45 roster at the very least :)

Thanks!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I've thought of something...
I know Geno Flash is the best FS he can have, but for fun, how about Mecha-Geno!
He becomes metal and machine-like and shoots eye beams and you can charge his lazer.
Yes, I know Geno can already fire lazers, but i thought Mecha-Geno was a cool idea.:)

antimatter

Smash Lord
yes, you are late. that site is not to be trusted, considering that 50 cent was once listed as the voice of EPONA!

Top Bottom