• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dont get the Zant part. Mind Explaining?
He's comparing Zant to Bowser Jr. Some people claim that Zant was the main villain of TP but that's not the case because he was basically being controlled by Ganondorf since the beginning much like Bowser Jr was controlled by Bowser in all three of his canon appearances.

D

Deleted member

how can a storyline in one game be more important then the main antagonist in three games?

BJ was only the main antagonist in one game. New Super Mario Bros. Sunshine he was lied to a pressured to kidnap Peach so Bowser could have her. In Galaxy, he was a total pawn.

If there was only 1 Mario game with only Bowser and Mario as the main pro. and ant. than who'd role would be more important? Mario's because he is saving Peach.

Hero's role > Villain's role.

BJ's role is not more important.
Geno's role is not more important.
We don't know who's role is more important. It's all a matter of opinions.

Plus how can one appearence plus one cameo be more important then three mainstream appearance plus multiple sport and party appearances.

Let's leave out the cameo for this one. Kay?

Anyways, it's what Geno did in Mario RPG that made him so important to the Mario series. BJ is the same but to a lot of people, it seems he is just acting as a pawn or being used in Galaxy and Sunshine.

I think it is you guys who are mistaking your opinions for facts.

Think what you want. Have you forgotten that I am also saying that Geno's role is no more important than BJ's?

The facts are bowser jr. has more mainstream popularity then geno.

How do we know BJ has more popularity than Geno? We don't that's another opinion like the importance arguement.

I asked people if they knew BJ and Geno. Some people know BJ and not Geno. Some people know Geno and don't have a clue who Bowser Jr. is. They say to me "Um... if you mean Baby Bowser than sure?"

We don't know who is more popular. Just 'cause BJ is in more games doesn't automatically make him more popular.

The facts are bowser jr. has appeared in more games and has had a loarger impact on the marioverse then geno.

So... that automatically makes him more important and popular? Geno saved the Mushroom Kingdom and Star Road. Is that not important?

They could have thrown in anyone as a partner for mario like say a bomb-omb, a koopa, a boo, a parrakarry, a cloud, a latiku, or a goomba. And as far as i can tell there has only been one bowser jr.
Baby Bowser's. There's like 50 Baby Bowser's and do we know if one of them is actually Bowser Jr.? No. It may sound rediculous but who knows. All we can do is make inferences.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, it's what Geno did in Mario RPG that made him so important to the Mario series. BJ is the same but to a lot of people, it seems he is just acting as a pawn or being used in Galaxy and Sunshine.

NONONONO.

I don't even feel like explaining that Geno is ''acting as a pawn'' as well, for the higher authority. It's completely pointless. What Geno did in SMRPG made him important to the game, but not to the series.

;)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Key words to what you just said 'might be'. Now, do we know thatas a fact? No. You're just trying to come up with an excuse for not to add Geno. Geno isn't a Japanese only character or a Europe only character.

Yes, it's a theory. Congratulations. But I never said Geno is Europe only or Japan only. I said the game wasn't released in Europe. Considering Sakurai doesn't want to alienate Western countries with Japan-only characters, maybe he doesn't want to alienate Europe with NA-JP-only characters.
Considering how Sakurai has already added Lucas, how the sales of Melee in Japan and North America dwarfed the sales of Melee in Europe, and how "import" games have recently come to the Wii's virtual console for all regions, I hardly see this as a big of a factor as you think it is...

D

Deleted member

Yes, it's a theory. Congratulations. But I never said Geno is Europe only or Japan only. I said the game wasn't released in Europe. Considering Sakurai doesn't want to alienate Western countries with Japan-only characters, maybe he doesn't want to alienate Europe with NA-JP-only characters.
You have a point but does that really affect Geno's chances? No. Super Mario RPG is coming out to the VC soon. There are Wii's in Europe, so, it wouldn't really be considered Japanese only when it comes out now, would it?

Genodisk

Smash Apprentice
IMO hes deffinantly in the game, Sakurai has a ton of interest in him (second most journal mentions I believe) and as do the fans, 3rd on popular demand poll. Now Sakurai even stated that he and his team listens to the fans more than we think and I dont think hed make that poll for no reason. I don't think he'd stop at just making a poll tho he probly has a few forum lerkers around here a few months ago and as this shows, Geno is one of the most talked about characters on the boards. Hes been talked about soo much that ppl who didn't even play as him or heard about him before the boards are on his bandwagon just because of the hype. And after all that when a game developer is making a game they are thinking about the fans as I think he is and has stated he is. Thats why I believe hes definantly in the game. As for the bowser jr argument, theres not nearly as much popular demand, or interest from Sakurai in him as there is for Geno and thats pretty much all that matters.

And I dont really know for sure if unlockables will have a part in SSE but if he has a partiner, pit would seem to fit the best since they are both sent down to earth to help out and as mentioned earlier they both serve a higher authority.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Baby Bowser's. There's like 50 Baby Bowser's and do we know if one of them is actually Bowser Jr.? No. It may sound rediculous but who knows. All we can do is make inferences.
you say bowser jr. is a pawn? then what is geno,? after all as you guys keep reminding us he "serves a higher authority" so he is actually a pawn too.

D

Deleted member

NONONONO.

I don't even feel like explaining that Geno is ''acting as a pawn'' as well, for the higher authority. It's completely pointless. What Geno did in SMRPG made him important to the game, but not to the series.

;)
And you know this how? Geno saved the Mushroom Kingdom and star Road and THAT doesn't effect the series? Also, if it weren't for Mario RPG there'd be no Paper Mario Games.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
And you know this how? Geno saved the Mushroom Kingdom and star Road and THAT doesn't effect the series?

Let's stop talking in terms of storyline. This didn't happen for real. He's not important to the series because he's been forgotten for 8 years before having a lame cameo, and the being forgotten again.

Also, if it weren't for Mario RPG there'd be no Paper Mario Games.

True, but Paper Mario is much more popular and has to be represented in Brawl. This kinda harms the chances of SMRPG representation.

And you know this how? Geno saved the Mushroom Kingdom and star Road and THAT doesn't effect the series? Also, if it weren't for Mario RPG there'd be no Paper Mario Games.

lol i didnt even read his post and i said the same thing. As for the rest of your post, Of course that affects the series, but not as much as confronting mario on three seperate occasions, even if under the supervision of his father. And you all seem to forget that it wasn't geno that made the paper mario series possible it was the game itself. Your giving geno far to much credit. My previous statement stands geno is a pawn so your "bj is a pawn" argument is for naught.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
you say bowser jr. is a pawn? then what is geno,? after all as you guys keep reminding us he "serves a higher authority" so he is actually a pawn too.
Of an undefined entity... There's also no evidence in the game that shows that Geno was "just following orders" and not acting on his own free will.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
lol i didnt even read his post and i said the same thing. As for the rest of your post, Of course that affects the series, but not as much as confronting mario on three seperate occasions, even if under the supervision of his father. And you all seem to forget that it wasn't geno that made the paper mario series possible it was the game itself. Your giving geno far to much credit. My previous statement stands geno is a pawn so your "bj is a pawn" argument is for naught.
Your also giving Bowser Jr. more credit than needed to be given. It's Nintendo's clever way of replacing the Koopalings that Mario stomped.

Geno was very important to the game and storyline, played an even more vital role than Mario, so he can be a symbol for the game itself.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Can people stop talking about other characters that have no sense to be against Geno? Seriously, saying that there are too many Mario representatives so they can only add like one more is NOT a solid reason. Why would they give up a perfectly good character/characters because of that? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves ruining the topic because of stupid arguments.

Anyways, off from my rant. Wouldn't it be funny if the announcer said Geno's actual name? The announcer would be like, "heart music symbol exclamation mark question mark!" Hah ha ha. That's rich.

D

Deleted member

And you know this how? Geno saved the Mushroom Kingdom and star Road and THAT doesn't effect the series?

Let's stop talking in terms of storyline. This didn't happen for real. He's not important to the series because he's been forgotten for 8 years before having a lame cameo, and the being forgotten again.

But the storyline is what makes Geno so important. Just because he is forgotten doesn't mean he's no longer important. He saved the Mushroom Kingdom and Star Road. That'll go down in history.

Also, if it weren't for Mario RPG there'd be no Paper Mario Games.

True, but Paper Mario is much more popular and has to be represented in Brawl. This kinda harms the chances of SMRPG representation.
Speaking of History from my reply above, SMRPG was Nintendo's first ever RPG, Nintendo's first ever 3D game and the first ever game that has Bowser as an ally.

People say this game is forgotten but it goes down in History. It's a historic game and popularity means nothing to Sakurai. It bores him. That is one reason why Sakurai is interested in Geno.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
That right there shows your nothing but a troll, and the only reason you seem to believe Geno doesn't have a chance is because of your own self-centered whims about not liking him.

Geno has more chances than you'd give him credit for, and whether you like him or not, you need to acknowledge that.
im just pointing out how ridiculous some people act in the character discussion room. you guys are way overzealous. i can tell by how you handled my troll-post. even the ashley thread would have explained her chances. you guys need to chill lulz. geno 4 brawl XD

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still, they have their own themes, characters, and gameplay systems. And they not nearly as important as the platformers, the ''main series''.
Sorry in advance if this is a double post.

Why are they "not nearly as important?" Just because they came first? As I said, the elements from both have been incorporated into each other so they aren't as mutually exclusive as you insist they are.

Your also giving Bowser Jr. more credit than needed to be given. It's Nintendo's clever way of replacing the Koopalings that Mario stomped.

Geno was very important to the game and storyline, played an even more vital role than Mario, so he can be a symbol for the game itself.
as i recal teh koopalings have not been replaced, didnt they appear in mario and luigi superstar saga? If they were replaced then why not bj? I'm not questioning genos importance in the game, i'm saying that he does not represent the game as sa whole. If geno was the whole game it would not have been called what it was. it would have been called something like"Super mario rpg: Geno's quest where mario tags along and helps out a tad". The point is geno was not the whole game, hhe was just one of the many pieces that put together the whole puzzle.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, off from my rant. Wouldn't it be funny if the announcer said Geno's actual name? The announcer would be like, "heart music symbol exclamation mark question mark!" Hah ha ha. That's rich.

Stop doing that. The argument isn't stupid. If your support for Geno can't be tested in an argument, it means it is baseless. You are wasting your time if you talk about fancy ideas that require to be assuming that Geno is in the game.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I serve a higher authority.

Looks like you guys' motto has turned against you.
Not really. Read my other post:

"A pawn is someone who is being manipulated or used to some end, usually not the end that individual would prefer"

Geno isn't a pawn, he's not being used by this "higher authority" to accomplish something he doesn't know about.

Bowser Jr on the other hand was used by Bowser to kidnap Peach by tricking him into thinking Peach was his mother

Bowser Jr =Pawn

Geno = Not Pawn

:cool:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
you have been told multiple times, either you need to brush up on your reading skills, or you need to see the truth, and not just your own opinion.
I Have? :laugh:.

Of course my opinion is not always right, I Just want to find out what makes JR So special, I Didn't ask for you to go die in a fire or anything -_-, I Want to know why people think Jr is so likely.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
as i recal teh koopalings have not been replaced, didnt they appear in mario and luigi superstar saga? If they were replaced then why not bj? I'm not questioning genos importance in the game, i'm saying that he does not represent the game as sa whole. If geno was the whole game it would not have been called what it was. it would have been called something like"Super mario rpg: Geno's quest where mario tags along and helps out a tad". The point is geno was not the whole game, hhe was just one of the many pieces that put together the whole puzzle.
Ah, but thank you for spelling it out for me.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Who do the stars relate to again? What is his mission?

Yes the Koopalings have been replaced, M&L:SS will probably be the last game they appear in, due to Bowser Jr. being Bowser's only notable child. Replacement.

And he was a massive piece of this "puzzle" that put together the game, due to his importance to the plot. Now lets see who joined you in Super Mario RPG:
-Mario (confirmed)
-Bowser (confirmed)
-Peach (confirmed)
-Geno
-Mallow

Gee, those sure are alot of characters from the game already put into SSB. Mallow wasn't near Geno in the polls, and Sakurai hasn't been interested in him therefore he's the ONLY rep worthy of making a spot in representation of the SMRPG.

I Have? :laugh:.

Of course my opinion is not always right, I Just want to find out what makes JR So special, I Didn't ask for you to go die in a fire or anything -_-, I Want to know why people think Jr is so likely.
lol, sorry that was ment to be a joke. Here's why i think bj has a good chance:

-he has appeared (with prominent roles) in the last three mainstream mario games (ms, mg, nsmb).

-his paint brush is cool and could lead to a creative moveset. Like they could use some of his moves from mario tennis and mario baseball (both awsome games by the way).

-i had heard somewhere that sakuri is looking to add more villians to the smash series, i dont know if that statement is true but if so its a bonus to bj

-he has a new personallity that could be used in brawl: he's more of a trickster then bowser is, after all he pretended to be mario so he could give him a bad name. I don't think bowser ever did that.

-plus he's the new villian on the scene, and as far as i know the second most pronounced and recognizable mario villian next to bowser himself.(although i have to admit they do look sorta similar....).

so there you have it thats why i think bowser jr. should be in brawl. Oh and go check out the bowser jr. thread if your really curious i may have missed some stuff.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
My comments are in green; Also 6 Mario reps can easily happen so Geno and JR Or Paper Mario seems certainly fine, I Wouldn't mind him to much (JR That is.) I'm just sick of how people treat it like we can't get 6 Mario reps and everything, I Think JR Stands a pretty good chance as well but i haven't really seen to much pro from him, I'll go to the Jr thread i guess, Anyhow;

lol, sorry that was ment to be a joke. Here's why i think bj has a good chance:

-he has appeared (with prominent roles) in the last three mainstream mario games (ms, mg, nsmb).Makes sence.

-his paint brush is cool and could lead to a creative moveset. Like they could use some of his moves from mario tennis and mario baseball (both awsome games by the way).And geno and paper mario can have one to, Through his moveset would be a bit fun to play as.

-i had heard somewhere that sakuri is looking to add more villians to the smash series, i dont know if that statement is true but if so its a bonus to bjMust be a misinterperut or w/e because it was for the females thing...

-he has a new personallity that could be used in brawl: he's more of a trickster then bowser is, after all he pretended to be mario so he could give him a bad name. I don't think bowser ever did that. Hmmm i guess this one and the one below go with "Recent games".

-plus he's the new villian on the scene, and as far as i know the second most pronounced and recognizable mario villian next to bowser himself.(although i have to admit they do look sorta similar....).Still goes with #1.

so there you have it thats why i think bowser jr. should be in brawl. Oh and go check out the bowser jr. thread if your really curious i may have missed some stuff.I Will do that.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace

Stop doing that. The argument isn't stupid. If your support for Geno can't be tested in an argument, it means it is baseless. You are wasting your time if you talk about fancy ideas that require to be assuming that Geno is in the game.
What I meant by stupid was it's stupid to bring up an argument about it in this topic since this topic doesn't have anything really to do with competitioin of character representation. I suggest you take it to another thread.

P.S. I am not a supporter of Geno in Brawl, I am just stating the topic is going downhill because of a different type of argument. This does not mean that I wouldn't want him in Brawl.

I assume this is an argument of Jr. versus Geno...

Well, Junior was definitely not a pawn in New SMB, in which he acted without any input from Bowser for almost the entire game.

EDIT: Also, Bowser Jr. states at the end of SMS that he knew she wasn't his mother.

thethirdkoopa: lol it appears in my quote that you are saying that both geno and paper mario should have bowser jr esque paintbrushes. I would find it hilarious if bj didnt make it and yet there were characters in there using his paintbrush for his moves. Come to think of it if bj wasnt in the game i would love tosee his paint brush as a item. But thats not on topic now is it. So ill end with Geno for brawl (but only if bowser jr. and paper mario are already in there) :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
you have been told multiple times, either you need to brush up on your reading skills, or you need to see the truth, and not just your own opinion.
You know, despite the fact that you have yet to present anything that even suggests that Sakurai even has any intention of adding Bowser Jr...

I was thinking earlier today and I thought of something else regarding Sakurai's character selections. I thought about the 2001 offical Melee poll and what characters became playable off of it. Of the 14 new characters that appeared in Melee, 10 appeared in the poll, and 9 did very well in their respective categories:

Bowser (first place in Mario Category)
Peach (second place in Mario Category)
Zelda (third place in LoZ Category)
Shiek (tied with Zelda)
Young Link (second place in LoZ Category)
Ganondorf (first place in LoZ Category)
Mewtwo (first place in Pokemon Category)
Marth (first place in Fire Emblem Category)
Falco (first place in Star Fox Category)

The Ice Climbers were the characters that didn't do all that well with only four votes but it should be noted that Geno had 5 and Pit had 5.

The four characters that weren't on the poll were Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy and Mr. Game and Watch. Notice how obscure all four of these characters are, how three of them were clones, and how three of them have been basically been deconfirmed from Brawl.

What conclusions can we draw from this? We can definately draw that if characters appear in Brawl that weren't in Sakurai's journal (like Sonic), they will either have a decent amount of obscurity or be stars of their own games. * We can also draw the conclusion that Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were relatively last minute ideas.

So, what does this have to do with Bowser Jr? As already stated, he wasn't one one of the 6 Mario characters mentioned in Sakurai's journal (Geno, Mallow, Hammer Bros, Koopa Troopa, Petey Pirhanna, and Toad). Bowser Jr isn't obscure either and he definately doesn't star in his own game.

*It should be noted that Sakurai has mentioned 8 characters in interviews since 2001: Sonic, Lucas, Little Mac, the Balloon fighter, Sigurd, Lip, Muddy Mole, and Lolo.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I still don't get why some dont think both can get in. The mario series is Nintendo's number one series, it easily can get 6, especially since it had 5 in Melee. I'm a Geno supporter, but I can give credit to Jr. As I see it, you have the core of Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi, Then someone to represent the past and RPG and one to represent the newer generation. However I do believe that Geno has an edge based on the polls. Bowser Jr. didnt even appear on the polls. It seems Sakurai is going off the polls. If it came down ot it obviously I'd take Geno over BJ, but I can see that both could be in.

Top Bottom