• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
The chain for quality of possible characters goes geno<Toad<{insert naruto character}. And i hate naruto. Geno actually would make a good AT now that I think about it.
Shows what you know. I like Naruto, as a matter of fact it has become one of my all time favorite animes, right behind DBZ. Except one thing, Sakurai doesn't want anime characters in SSB and Geno is actually more important. :p

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
When people suggest Toads Goombas, Koopas, or whatever other generic enemies there are that could be beter reps than Geno, is it just trolling or do they actually think so?

"Forget about Ganon being back, let's have a Skulltula in the roster."

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr would be a clone except for the paintrush. Someone said he's a recurring character and major boss? What game was he the major boss in? In Galaxy and Sunshine he's just a filler character to replace the Koopa Kids. He's Twilight Princess's Zant.

I Understand this isn't a Bowser Jr thread, but were ARE comparing him with Geno about a Mario spot right now.
Okay. Bowser Jr. wouldn't be a clone. First, the speed and size would be very different, moreso than any clones. Sakurai could use his speed to make moves.

He caused the events in SMS and NSMB, and he supported Bowser in SMG. He was very important to the plot.

Like Zant? Nope. Zant only appeared in one game, while Jr. was in three. :laugh:

Whatever.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Importance to the Mario series. His importance is comparable to Birdo and the other Koopa kids because they all appear in the same number of canon games and all are pawns of the main villian.

Prominence in recent games. Could be said about Daisy and Waluigi too...

I just use my logic. Some stuff doesn't have to be written black on white. Read between the lines.
Well, that didn't take long...

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
His importance is comparable to Birdo and the other Koopa kids because they all appear in the same number of canon games and all are pawns of the main villian.

So Birdo kidnapped Peach in SMS and NSMB? Nope. Please do not underestimate Jr's importance.

Could be said about Daisy and Waluigi too...

WHAT THE ****? Those are filler characters who never had ANY prominence in mainstream Mario games! What a poor example!

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Okay. Bowser Jr. wouldn't be a clone. First, the speed and size would be very different, moreso than any clones. Sakurai could use his speed to make moves.

He caused the events in SMS and NSMB, and he supported Bowser in SMG. He was very important to the plot.

Like Zant? Nope. Zant only appeared in one game, while Jr. was in three. :laugh:

Whatever.
Did you seriously just say that he would not be a clone because of his speed and size? Have you ever even played Melee? Do you even know what a clone was in that game? Ganondorf/Falcon were clones. So were Mario/Dr. Mario, Falco/Fox, Pichu/Pikachu, ect.

If you use the argument that he caused the events of plots, why can't you say that Geno was directly involved in the main plot and helped fix it?

You didn't get what I meant by Zant. When I was comparing the characters, I didn't mean "Hey, let's count how many games they were in." I meant how they were to the story. They were bad guys that were just assistants to the main villian.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
His importance is comparable to Birdo and the other Koopa kids because they all appear in the same number of canon games and all are pawns of the main villian.

So Birdo kidnapped Peach in SMS and NSMB? Nope. Please do not underestimate Jr's importance.

WHAT THE ****? Those are filler characters who never had ANY prominence in mainstream Mario games! What a poor example!
1.)No :|, He means as in how Jr was the pawn of the main villian as he did some things for him.

2.)He means by currency :ohwell:

;Edumacate.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The chain for quality of possible characters goes geno<Toad<{insert naruto character}. And i hate naruto. Geno actually would make a good AT now that I think about it.
That right there shows your nothing but a troll, and the only reason you seem to believe Geno doesn't have a chance is because of your own self-centered whims about not liking him.

Geno has more chances than you'd give him credit for, and whether you like him or not, you need to acknowledge that.

D

Deleted member

Importance to the Mario series.

Importance means nothing. We shouldn't judge a character by importance. Just 'cause one thinks Bowser Jr. is more important that is their opinion. I think Geno is more important but that is my opinion.

We do not know who is more important to the Mario series than the other.

Prominence in recent games.

Ice Climbers, meet Mathieu21.
Mathieu21, meet the Ice Climbers.

I just use my logic. Some stuff doesn't have to be written black on white. Read between the lines.
And between your lines are mine.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Did you seriously just say that he would not be a clone because of his speed and size? Have you ever even played Melee? Do you even know what a clone was in that game? Ganondorf/Falcon were clones. So were Mario/Dr. Mario, Falco/Fox, Pichu/Pikachu, ect.

Notice how I said moreso than any of the clones? That's beause I knew someone would get there. Okay. Imagine Bowser Jr. Looks like a Bowser clone, doens't it? Now put a curtain on him. He doesn't look like Bowser anymore! You can now give him moves based on speed, and of course the paint brush. And Shadow Mario as a Final Smash!

The moveset argument is old and false. It shouldn't be used agains or in favor of a character.

If you use the argument that he caused the events of plots, why can't you say that Geno was directly involved in the main plot and helped fix it?

True, but Geno never appeared in a mainstream Mario game, and didn't even appear recently (apart from a cameo that goes agains your argument on plot importance.

Anyway, as my blind grandfather said, wait and see. The leak isn't very far. We'll see who's right.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman

Prominence in recent games is an argument that helps a character. Lack thereof means nothing as long as Sakurai is interested. He included IC's for the sake of WTF. He might to the same for Geno, but as of right now, Bowser Jr. is more likely because he pretty much has a ''INCLUDE ME'' sign on his face, while Geno can't do anything if Sakurai isn't interested

Importance means nothing. We shouldn't judge a character by importance. Just 'cause one thinks Bowser Jr. is more important that is their opinion. I think Geno is more important but that is my opinion.

No, it isn't based on opinion. It was very foolish to say. Because if it wsa based on opinion, I could tell you that Angry Sun is the main character of the Mario franchise. When am I playing Super Angry Sun Galaxy?

GenoWhirl_YEAH

Smash Cadet
OK THATS IT!

i came to this thread looking for friends and people to discuss about the character geno. bur every freaking day i come here it is always the same arguing,cant we talk about advanced geno techniques, or a bout his plot, this is the GENO thread if you want to say bowser jr is in

GO TO HIS ****ING THREAD! IM TIRED OF ALL THIS STUPID ARGUINg!.

now, who knows about ideas for his team in the subspace?

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
you geno supporters tend to change your facts depending on the argument. if we question his importance you say he's an extreamly popular character. And yet when we bring up a popular character to challenge him like say bowser jr. you sya that popularity doesnt matter. It seems to me that you guys are the ones who cant get their facts straight.

Cless

Smash Champion
Excuse me, but what do you base that off of besides your own personal wants?

@ Cless: Considering how Square Soft and Enix are now one company...
Well, they're more like two separate companies that share a pool of money, but close enough. The dev teams are split by Enix and Square.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Pit & Geno woud be my dreramteam, seeing as they're going to be my mains. Plus they're both from "highr authorities", so they match a bit.

GenoWhirl_YEAH

Smash Cadet
Pit & Geno woud be my dreramteam, seeing as they're going to be my mains. Plus they're both from "highr authorities", so they match a bit.
see thats what we should be doing :3.

i like that dream but geno aiding metaknight and ic isnt that bad as they are "star warriors" after all XD

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Let me say the "prominence in recent games" argument doesn't really work, nor does it help a character all the time. Just look at Waluigi, he's appeared in almost all Mario games since Tennis and he only appeared as an AT. A character that appears in every or almost every game doesn't automatically make them important. The role they play in a game also counts.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Prominence in recent games is an argument that helps a character. Lack thereof means nothing as long as Sakurai is interested. He included IC's for the sake of WTF. He might to the same for Geno, but as of right now, Bowser Jr. is more likely because he pretty much has a ''INCLUDE ME'' sign on his face, while Geno can't do anything if Sakurai isn't interested

No, it isn't based on opinion. It was very foolish to say. Because if it wsa based on opinion, I could tell you that Angry Sun is the main character of the Mario franchise. When am I playing Super Angry Sun Galaxy?
1.Polls and journals wish to have a word with you, Also what if sakurai doesen't "Pick him" like he did to toad, Hmmm? Also mario is a huge franc\hise for 6 Reps since we all know that doc is probably leaving.

2.Well when we aren't speaking farfetched, He's basically a pawn as explained earlier.

Also i'd like to see Geno and Lucas team up...Hmm not sure through.

D

Deleted member

Prominence in recent games is an argument that helps a character. Lack thereof means nothing as long as Sakurai is interested. He included IC's for the sake of WTF.

He can do the same as Geno. Whocares if Geno has missed out in recent Mario Games? Cameo's count. Superstar Saga counts.

No it ain't big but it counts.

He might to the same for Geno, but as of right now, Bowser Jr. is more likely because he pretty much has a ''INCLUDE ME'' sign on his face, while Geno can't do anything if Sakurai isn't interested

Sakurai is interested. Sakurai likes Retro and obscure characters too. Geno = Obscure and Somewhat Retro.

Geno played the biggest role in Mario RPG though. He didn't help Mario. Mario helped him. No, he wasn't the main character but he was the main protagonist due to what he has done in Mario RPG. Saving Star Road couldn't have been an easy task. So he had help. From who? From Mario. Now, that is important. Without Star Road and Smithy on the run in the Mushroom Kingdom would have been a disaster if it weren't for Geno with the help from Mario, Mallow etc.

What were BJ's roles?

Lied to and pushed to kidnap Peach. (Sunshine)
Substituded for his fathers death and brought him back to life. (New SMB)
Acted as a pawn for Bowser. (Galaxy)

Those are pretty important but you can't say they're more important than Geno's role. And I will admit we can't say the same for vice versa. We don't know who's role is officially more important. It's opinions. Everything for Geno and BJ when it comes to "who's role is more important" is all a matter of opinions.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
OK THATS IT!

i came to this thread looking for friends and people to discuss about the character geno. bur every freaking day i come here it is always the same arguing,cant we talk about advanced geno techniques, or a bout his plot, this is the GENO thread if you want to say bowser jr is in

GO TO HIS ****ING THREAD! IM TIRED OF ALL THIS STUPID ARGUINg!.

now, who knows about ideas for his team in the subspace?
That would be great if you could always live in a beautiluf world where Geno is already confirmed... ''Who is going to main Geno?'', ''Have you seen Geno's purple color!''. But you can't really escape actual discussion on whether he'll be in.

Funny how you act as if those parts weren't important. They are. Substituting the main villain of the series is major. Kidnapping Peach is important as well.

No matter how Geno is important to SMRPG, you have to remember that it is not a mainstream Mario game. Same thing goes for Waluigi. Waluigi is a loser who only appears in multiplayer spinoffs. That's why he's only an AT.

Sakurai is interested. Sakurai likes Retro and obscure characters too. Geno = Obscure and Somewhat Retro.

That might be true, but Sakurai might be alienated by the game's lack of release in Europe. He said he wasn't excited by Japan-only characters. This could also apply to to Europe. Just a thought.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
That would be great if you could always live in a beautiluf world where Geno is already confirmed... ''Who is going to main Geno?'', ''Have you seen Geno's purple color!''. But you can't really escape actual discussion on whether he'll be in.
He means we don't have much room for Geno discussion when we always have trolls popping in saying Toad will be in over Geno, or Geno's a dumb doll and shouldn't be in Brawl as arguments to say he won't be in.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Those actions would be significant if Bowser Jr had been acting independently but that's not the case. He was going off his father's wishes in both titles. From what I've said in other posts, all the characters that have become playable in Brawl have one big thing in common, they have independence are able to function when certain characters aren't in the game. So far, there has yet to be a game where Bowser Jr has been in without Bowser thus making him comparable to Waluigi.

You didn't specify the canon games though. If you'd like to go that route though, Bowser Jr has not appeared in any of the Mario RPGs since he was created. For example, Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, Kammy Koopa basically plays the role that he does. Wouldn't a character who is supposedly extremelly important have a promenent role in all the Mario canon games instead of just the platformers?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
you geno supporters tend to change your facts depending on the argument. if we question his importance you say he's an extreamly popular character. And yet when we bring up a popular character to challenge him like say bowser jr. you sya that popularity doesnt matter. It seems to me that you guys are the ones who cant get their facts straight.
You can say Geno is popular or unpopular, whichever way you want to turn it, it doesn't even matter to Sakurai; not in the least bit. It doesn't matter what some of us say, the thing is he just doesn't care how known a character is.

Examples:
Game & Watch
Takamaru (before poll was released)
Ice Climbers

He adds characters he's INTERESTED in, and from the looks of his journal entries, he IS interested in Geno.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Geno played the biggest role in Mario RPG though. He didn't help Mario. Mario helped him. No, he wasn't the main character but he was the main protagonist due to what he has done in Mario RPG. Saving Star Road couldn't have been an easy task. So he had help. From who? From Mario. Now, that is important. Without Star Road and Smithy on the run in the Mushroom Kingdom would have been a disaster if it weren't for Geno with the help from Mario, Mallow etc.

What were BJ's roles?

Those are pretty important but you can't say they're more important than Geno's role. And I will admit we can't say the same for vice versa. We don't know who's role is officially more important. It's opinions. Everything for Geno and BJ when it comes to "who's role is more important" is all a matter of opinions.
how can a storyline in one game be more important then the main antagonist in three games? Plus how can one appearence plus one cameo be more important then three mainstream appearance plus multiple sport and party appearances. I think it is you guys who are mistaking your opinions for facts. The facts are bowser jr. has more mainstream popularity then geno. The facts are bowser jr. has appeared in more games and has had a loarger impact on the marioverse then geno. They could have thrown in anyone as a partner for mario like say a bomb-omb, a koopa, a boo, a parrakarry, a cloud, a latiku, or a goomba. And as far as i can tell there has only been one bowser jr.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
how can a storyline in one game be more important then the main antagonist in three games? Plus how can one appearence plus one cameo be more important then three mainstream appearance plus multiple sport and party appearances. I think it is you guys who are mistaking your opinions for facts. The facts are bowser jr. has more mainstream popularity then geno. The facts are bowser jr. has appeared in more games and has had a loarger impact on the marioverse then geno. They could have thrown in anyone as a partner for mario like say a bomb-omb, a koopa, a boo, a parrakarry, a cloud, a latiku, or a goomba. And as far as i can tell there has only been one bowser jr.
Wrong, Bowser Jr. was a replacement for the Koopalings when Mario got rid of them.

Also, the last time I checked, Bowser Jr. was nowhere near the main antagonist of Galaxy. He's just working as a minion for Bowser.

Sport and party appearances don't matter by the way, look at the fate of Waluigi and Daisy.
As said before, popularity doesn't matter to Sakurai.

No, they couldn't have thrown in just any character as Mario's buddy, because he was a star warrior, meaning the only one of his kind capable of fixing the Star Road, which is why he was sent.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The RPG's are spinoffs as well.
But are still canon; there's a difference between them and the spinoffs like Mario Kart and Mario Party. The best way I can define canon games are games that actually have a story and a plot (no matter how simplistic) and the object of the game is more then just to win individual matches/races/ etc. They usually have a place in the franchise's time line and contribute elements to other canon games like how SMRPG was the first Mario game to introduce the concept of star collecting.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Still, they have their own themes, characters, and gameplay systems. And they not nearly as important as the platformers, the ''main series''.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I aplogise if this becomes a double post but I had to respond to this. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Geno is extremelly popular but the arguement that people make against Geno is "lol, only 50 people know who he is" or "he's completely unknown outside of *insert website that the person is currently one here* (Seriously, I've heard this one on Nsider, here, IGN, Game FAQs, and even You Tube...)." Geno does have a decent sized cult following though but that doesn't put him above huge icons like Ridley, Krystal, and Megaman.

Also, Sakurai said himself that he doesn't just want to add the most popular characters to Brawl and has even told us of several characters that were extremelly popular but he turned them down and didn't have any entries in Sakurai's journal like Deoxyes, Saki, and Waluigi. As I've said before, Bowser Jr was also another character that didn't appear in Sakurai's journal.

Mad555

Smash Ace
In Smithy's Factory Mains: Fox, Sheik Brawl Mains:
Bowser Jr would be a clone except for the paintrush. Someone said he's a recurring character and major boss? What game was he the major boss in? In Galaxy and Sunshine he's just a filler character to replace the Koopa Kids. He's Twilight Princess's Zant.

I Understand this isn't a Bowser Jr thread, but were ARE comparing him with Geno about a Mario spot right now.
I dont get the Zant part. Mind Explaining?

D

Deleted member

Funny how you act as if those parts weren't important. They are. Substituting the main villain of the series is major.

I did say they are important but it seems in Sunshine Bowser made BJ kidnap Peach all for himself.

Kidnapping Peach is important as well.

And saving both the Mushroom Kingdom and Star Road isn't?

No matter how Geno is important to SMRPG, you have to remember that it is not a mainstream Mario game. Same thing goes for Waluigi. Waluigi is a loser who only appears in multiplayer spinoffs. That's why he's only an AT.

Like I said, cameo's count as appearances.

That might be true, but Sakurai might be alienated by the game's lack of release in Europe. He said he wasn't excited by Japan-only characters. This could also apply to to Europe. Just a thought.
Key words to what you just said 'might be'. Now, do we know thatas a fact? No. You're just trying to come up with an excuse for not to add Geno. Geno isn't a Japanese only character or a Europe only character.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Key words to what you just said 'might be'. Now, do we know thatas a fact? No. You're just trying to come up with an excuse for not to add Geno. Geno isn't a Japanese only character or a Europe only character.

Yes, it's a theory. Congratulations. But I never said Geno is Europe only or Japan only. I said the game wasn't released in Europe. Considering Sakurai doesn't want to alienate Western countries with Japan-only characters, maybe he doesn't want to alienate Europe with NA-JP-only characters.

Top Bottom