• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Sooo ... Mexican, you agree that bairs and dsmash are M2's bane?

And uairs ...
B airs, yeah...they are really good against m2. D smash....eh...not especially. U air, sure. *shrugs* B air, giant punch and up b are mainly what you'll be using, at least its what i'd be using. I don't have a ton of m2 experience though

Animal

Smash Lord
Strong Bad's doc is ****.

That said, I tried out that dthrow -> donkey punch nonsense on jiggs and couldn't get it to work at all. Tried it at multiple %'s too... I dont know what the trick is. I tried both normal dthrow and cargo dthrow.
yoo prog tells me we might be smashin this saturday? i hope sooo. if not saturday than we need to soon.

On a side note its cool to see that the DK scene is strong.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
That said, I tried out that dthrow -> donkey punch nonsense on jiggs and couldn't get it to work at all. Tried it at multiple %'s too... I dont know what the trick is. I tried both normal dthrow and cargo dthrow.
Dthrow -> punch works at 106% without DI. You have to running SH it.

Dthrow ftilt works until like 10%.

Dthrow -> SH dair works around 50%.

King Kong

Smash Lord
How do I regain my feet when Marth is juggling me from below?
On a big stage if hes U-air juggling you just Up-B as far away as possible. It doesnt always work but it better than just taking it.

On little stages theres not a lot that can be done, just dont get caught out of your double jump.

peace out

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
There are some new vids up of me playing some random sheik and random ganon. I didn't do very well in either set. hahaha, but they're up nonetheless

Oracle

Smash Master
How do I fight link? I have no idea how to use DK and I'm just now picking him up. I would assume just space bairs, get around his projectiles, and try to upB him when I get the chance.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
pretty much, yeah. dtilt can help you range him while facing toward him. his projectiles will turn you around a lot when you're trying to bair him. try fullhop giant punch charge turnaround bair sometimes, but mix it up with dj's and empty shorthops and such to not be predictable. you can bair his boomerangs to avoid getting hit by them.
i actually use shffl'd nair to approach chars that have a lot of projectiles (young link, falco, link, and samus, mainly) sometimes. just don't be predictable. cargo uthrow -> uair juggles work a lot on Link due to his falling speed (I think it's only a bit slower than Ganondorf and Sheik's), then just bair him when he DI's out of range (pivot them if necessary... though that's a bit difficult :p).
link has a really slow running speed so take advantage of that and try not to feel overwhelmed by his projectiles. they lack priority and are relatively easy to dodge if you put effort into it. up-b out of shield if he gets stupid and actually thinks he can shield pressure with Link. up-b edgeguarding works pretty well (watch out for hookshot recoveries). otherwise you can simply dtilt him a lot lol.

where's MEXICAN :(

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I've never done that match-up, and I don't think I want to.

Link will probably just try to run away from you. The best plan is to figure out his patterns and put a bair or uair in a place where you think he'll be. Jump over projectiles. Shielding them isn't a very good idea because it gives him time to set up his next attack. You basically have to keep attacking him (smartly though). Don't give him breathing room if you can help it.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
pretty much, yeah. dtilt can help you range him while facing toward him. his projectiles will turn you around a lot when you're trying to bair him. try fullhop giant punch charge turnaround bair sometimes, but mix it up with dj's and empty shorthops and such to not be predictable. you can bair his boomerangs to avoid getting hit by them.
i actually use shffl'd nair to approach chars that have a lot of projectiles (young link, falco, link, and samus, mainly) sometimes. just don't be predictable. cargo uthrow -> uair juggles work a lot on Link due to his falling speed (I think it's only a bit slower than Ganondorf and Sheik's), then just bair him when he DI's out of range (pivot them if necessary... though that's a bit difficult :p).
link has a really slow running speed so take advantage of that and try not to feel overwhelmed by his projectiles. they lack priority and are relatively easy to dodge if you put effort into it. up-b out of shield if he gets stupid and actually thinks he can shield pressure with Link. up-b edgeguarding works pretty well (watch out for hookshot recoveries). otherwise you can simply dtilt him a lot lol.

where's MEXICAN :(
I agree with about half of this. lol. I wouldn't recommend too many d tilts because higher level links that i've played like crouch cancelling d smash or cc grab, in both cases, you're probably going to get punished for d tilting. Using n airs isnt a bad idea, but i'd probably use it sparingly, because links love doing their full hop sex kicks and b airs, both of which beat dk's n air easily, and most good links are going to always have at least one projectile flying through the air almost constantly, whether its a bomb or a boomerang or both. If its a bomb, and you n air it, you're just going to get hit and set yourself up for some real damage if the link is good. Spacing b airs is definitely the best approach, you just have to really be patient. I know that they're old, but there are vids of me playing germ's link on youtube, and you can see how i play the matchup. It's long and boring, but you have to be patient and be careful when you approach, only approach when the opportunity presents itself. B airing link or even links shield into an up b works pretty well. One thing about that, if you don't get through his shield and you're up b'ing his shield, there's no point and trying to back off last second to avoid getting grabbed against link because he can grab you once you stop. If anything, try to go through him when you're in the middle of your up b. Cargo u throw u air juggling does NOT WORK. you can get the first u air, but passed that, link can very easily jump out of it, or even just sex kick you if you try again. If you're on a platformed stage, you might be able to make something happen, but without the assistance of a platform, you CANNOT juggle link from a cargo u throw. And last thing, good links can shield pressure pretty well, and if they're experienced enough, they can stay out of dk's up b's sweetspot while pressuring your shield. A lot of links will full hop a sex kick on your shield so that the extra hit that link's sex kick has will hit you on the way down, and then they can jump again and bair your shield just before they hit the ground and fast fall that into a jab, u smash, dash attack, d smash, etc, all of which have relatively little lag. Link's up and down smashes have deceivingly quick recovery after the attack. If you can lightshield their attacks and you're patient enough, you can USUALLY get in a grab after they get done with their attacks. Links attacks aren't and everlasting and they do have a stopping point unlike fox's drillshine shield pressure type moves.....Yeah...

Oh yeah, and my laptop is broken =( so thats why i can't respond right away all the time

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
best way to get good at a match-up is experience

additionally, you can bair link after a uair if he DI's behind you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i tried to use dk against darkrain's falco on saturday

not fun

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Spam bair a lot. Practice up-b sweetspotting people who try to dair you naively. Work on your grab game and uair juggles. Most importantly, since DK is slow, it's crucial that you focus on reading people.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Haha, I'm making him my #1 main again now. Spacies are just too boring man.
Cept whenever I face a Falco, even in friendly, I'm going Sheik, spacy ditto, or YLink -.-, eff that character.

Idk how Bum dealt with those New York Falcos back when he played.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't know why I like it xD

It's just hella fun to Nair oos on Falcos who think they can pillar you. Anddd I love to Nair the **** out of his recovery. Matchup is definitely Falco's favor, but it's not "100-0%" like DK vs Falco lol. Imo, YLink does better then Link though (not a fat/slow combo bag). Also, there's that one YLink player from AZ who used to beat Axe's Falco... he's inspirational.

Top Bottom