• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ashley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Yes, of course there are a few characters that could easily represent the Warioware series over a character like Ashley. Mona seems to be a good part of Warioware (doubt the next Warioware is not going to have her in it), Jimmy T has been there since the beginning as far as I know, and so on. But because there are many of them shouldn't mean there is no chance of one of the characters getting in for whatever reason Sakurai decides to add them. Let me ask you something, did you ever expect Pichu to have an appearance in melee? Pichu is nothing more than a baby pokemon that has very little significance and not much a fan base... even after it got into the melee roster. Now of course Brawl and Melee are two different games, a character like Pichu you may never see in Brawl, but I wouldn't just entirely rule it out especially considering Sakurai has done things like this in the past.
Pichu got in after Jigglypuff and Mewtwo and Pokemon is far more popular than WarioWare

Dragonblood21

Smash Journeyman
Pichu got in after Jigglypuff and Mewtwo and Pokemon is far more popular than WarioWare
I suppose Pichu was more popular than the starter pokemon? More popular and significant than even Raichu? And saying Pokemon is more popular makes it worse in my opinion, that means more fans were disappointed that their favorite pokemon didn't get in, instead a pokemon with a very little fan base got in.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I suppose Pichu was more popular than the starter pokemon? More popular and significant than even Raichu? And saying Pokemon is more popular makes it worse in my opinion, that means more fans were disappointed that their favorite pokemon didn't get in, instead a pokemon with a very little fan base got in.
My point is, that it's not like Pichu took the second spot for a pokemon representative over more important characters, that never happens and it's not gonna happen with these series. and Pichu was enjoying his momentum as a sort of "new" Pikachu, which is why he made it in the first place, Ashley is a not even in the same league as Pichu.

Dragonblood21

Smash Journeyman
My point is, that it's not like Pichu took the second spot for a pokemon representative over more important characters, that never happens and it's not gonna happen with these series.
He may have not taken the 2nd spot, or not even the 3rd spot, but he took the 4th spot, was Pichu really the 4th most deserving pokemon at that given time?

Rewind to before melee's release, and pretend like there was a "Pichu for Melee thread!" do you think many people would have been pro Pichu and wanted the inclusion of him in Melee? Or do you think people would be saying the exact same thing they are saying about Ashley, there are pokemon that deserve to get into the newest SMB before Pichu?

I just want you to answer those questions honestly.

Edit - I understand what you are talking about, how a 2nd spot is a bigger thing than a 4th spot though.

vesperview

Smash Hero
He may have not taken the 2nd spot, or not even the 3rd spot, but he took the 4th spot, so you're trying to say that Pichu is the 4th most deserving pokemon at that given time?

Rewind to before melee's release, and pretend like there was a "Pichu for Melee thread!" do you think many people would have been pro Pichu and wanted the inclusion of him in Melee? Or do you think people would be saying the exact same thing they are saying about Ashley, there are pokemon that deserve to get into the newest SMB before Pichu?

I just want you to answer those questions honestly.
Let's just put it this way, cause the Pichu "What if's" are pointless, if WarioWare was getting four or five reps then Ashley would have a chance at being playable.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
Ashley is the most popular (beside Wario) WarioWare character in Japan. Even before her music update.

She has a bigger fanbase in Japan.

Maggirus

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Response to the 1st post:

I agree Ashley has some chance. However, it is slim. When you add up all the characters who are more likely to be in, we would have to have a pretty large roster for her to make it.

Counter-Arguments to your Arguments:
1) Any character can have a unique movelist. If anything, the fact she can actually do things in her games makes her less unique. Characters like Fox and Falcon have highly unique movesets because they had to be made up. Also, characters like Olimar would have a more unique moveset. So add any character who could have a more unique moveset onto that roster I mentioned earlier.

2) Possible boosts in sales can be said for any current series, so this doesn't really help her chances. Also, people wouldn't realize she's a WarioWare character just by looking at her.

3) A lot of characters are fairly liked in Japan. Characters like Tingle, Takamaru, and Sukapon are more liked in Japan. So add all characters who are more liked in Japan to that roster. Also Sakurai said he doesn't want to focus on characters solely popular in Japan.

After those points, you can see that the roster would have to be quite large for her to make it in.

Also, the Devil trophy was omitted from the American version of Melee. Do you think a character who associates with something that looks more like a stereotypical devil?

Dragonblood21

Smash Journeyman
Response to the 1st post:
I agree Ashley has some chance. However, it is slim. When you add up all the characters who are more likely to be in, we would have to have a pretty large roster for her to make it.
I'm glad to see you not throwing around the "0% chance" or "is never going to make it in" card. Her chances are of course incredibly slim. There would have to be a pretty large roster in order for her to have a decent chance of being playable without a doubt, I hope in the future we see larger rosters, but in Brawl it doesn't look like there is going to be a very large roster so Ashley's chances aren't too good.

Counter-Arguments to your Arguments:
1) Any character can have a unique movelist. If anything, the fact she can actually do things in her games makes her less unique. Characters like Fox and Falcon have highly unique movesets because they had to be made up. Also, characters like Olimar would have a more unique moveset. So add any character who could have a more unique moveset onto that roster I mentioned earlier.
Yes, of course any character can be given a unique move list, but I believe your misunderstanding what we mean by "unique" when we state what she could do for the Brawl Roster. Unique means being something that everyone else isn't, different, one of a kind. Even if Ashley was to have an entire move list already created for her in games before Brawl, there is yet no witch character that is in Brawl, there is yet no character that has a pet, so in the Brawl roster she would stand out as a pretty unique character. I believe creative is more of the word you are looking for when you are talking about how they made up move sets for characters like Capt. Falcon and Fox.

2) Possible boosts in sales can be said for any current series, so this doesn't really help her chances. Also, people wouldn't realize she's a WarioWare character just by looking at her.
Without a doubt this can be said for all current series, but the reason why I say it for Ashley and Warioware is because one, Warioware isn't extremely popular, so trying to "advertise" it in a sense by adding WarioWare things would benefit more than advertising a already extremely popular series such as the Mario or Legend of Zelda series since everyone already knows those series and for the most part, the characters in them. And for two, Wario was linked to the Mario series, and adding a 2nd representative that is only connected to the Warioware series could show a little more of it's independence from the Mario series.

3) A lot of characters are fairly liked in Japan. Characters like Tingle, Takamaru, and Sukapon are more liked in Japan. So add all characters who are more liked in Japan to that roster. Also Sakurai said he doesn't want to focus on characters solely popular in Japan.
Again, yup, there are many characters liked in Japan, but notice how each one of those characters you named all stand some sort of chance to making it into the roster. Sakurai certainly doesn't want to focus only characters that are in Japan, but a character being liked there as opposed to not so popular or disliked is certainly a + for the character even if there are many others that are liked there.

The statements made in the first post aren't really "arguments" as everyone likes call them here. They are just pluses for the character. This is not saying no other character has things over her, or that with these arguments it significantly increases her chances, etc. They are nothing more than statements in favor of the character.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
All of use Ashley supporters want that very much. I can't help the fact that the delay made me want this game more than ever.
For me its the other way around. =oP

The longer its drawn out the less I want it. :ohwell:

I'll still add it to my library regardless. It is a must have afterall. ;)

If Ashley were to get in.....I would be excited, not just because shes my favorite Wario Ware character, but because there were so many people that said it could never happen. :)

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
You people have never provided solid proof of that.
I'm lucky that I have proof.

I think most of us know this site:
http://ikusaba.client.jp/
The japanese Brawl predicition site with the nice character pictures.

It's part of a bigger gaming site with Nintendo related things.
http://ikusaba.ifdef.jp/top.htm

It's said there (I'm too lazy to search the direct link, I think I'll post it later) that Ashley would be likely the first WarioWare-character after Wario included in Brawl.
They doubt that there 'll be a second WarioWare rep, but it's possible.

It's said there that Ashley has a fanbase of WarioWare-players. Her style seems to be popular (Gothic lolita ? :ohwell: ), but she isn't well known like Mario to non-WarioWare players and that could be a problem for her.

That's the reason why Ashley was on the predicition site, even before the update.

Maggirus

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
It's said there that Ashley has a fanbase of WarioWare-players.
Krystal has a fanbase of StarFox players and Ridley has a fanbase or Ridley players, what's your point?

Oh also you guys are the fanbase they refer to you realise? I suppose the other 34 characters they have listed there have large fanbase too?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
That was the most ridiculous claim I've ever seen lol. Are you just trying to pad your post count by explaining that people who have played the games shes in, support her? Who else would?
She better watch out, I heard Balloon Fighter has a fanbase of people who have played Balloon Fighter.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'm lucky that I have proof.

I think most of us know this site:
http://ikusaba.client.jp/
The japanese Brawl predicition site with the nice character pictures.

It's part of a bigger gaming site with Nintendo related things.
http://ikusaba.ifdef.jp/top.htm

It's said there (I'm too lazy to search the direct link, I think I'll post it later) that Ashley would be likely the first WarioWare-character after Wario included in Brawl.
They doubt that there 'll be a second WarioWare rep, but it's possible.

It's said there that Ashley has a fanbase of WarioWare-players. Her style seems to be popular (Gothic lolita ? :ohwell: ), but she isn't well known like Mario to non-WarioWare players and that could be a problem for her.

That's the reason why Ashley was on the predicition site, even before the update.

Maggirus
Just because some random guy added her to her predictions in Japan doesn't mean she is the most likely second WarioWare representative and when I said that you haven't provided solid proof is because that site is the only thing you people always provide.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ok... seriously... why do people think that site means anything?

It's just random predictions like many make around here. Ashley isn't the second most likely Wario Ware rep, she's several down in line. Don't listen to that silly site.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
Just because some random guy added her to her predictions in Japan doesn't mean she is the most likely second WarioWare representative and when I said that you haven't provided solid proof is because that site is the only thing you people always provide.
1) It's not a random guy, there are random Japanese guys, a bigger community. And how else you want to prove that a character is something like popular in Japan?

Ok... seriously... why do people think that site means anything?

It's just random predictions like many make around here. Ashley isn't the second most likely Wario Ware rep, she's several down in line. Don't listen to that silly site.
We can see how few Japanese people think about the roster. It's a bigger well known prediction site. And at least the opinion of Japanese brawlers is more important than ours.
This site tells a view of the opinion of some Japanese gamers. That's all.

And don't flame that site, becaue they have Ashley on it and we're basing some arguments on her on this site. They're making really nice pictures, better than some artwork.

Maggirus

vesperview

Smash Hero
1) It's not a random guy, there are random Japanese guys, a bigger community. And how else you want to prove that a character is something like popular in Japan?

We can see how few Japanese people think about the roster. It's a bigger well known prediction site. And at least the opinion of Japanese brawlers is more important than ours.
This site tells a view of the opinion of some Japanese gamers. That's all.

And don't flame that site, becaue they have Ashley on it and we're basing some arguments on her on this site. They're making really nice pictures, better than some artwork.

Maggirus
Why on earth would their opinion be better than ours just because their Japanese? Unless their working on the game their opinion is just as good as ours.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Do people only care about Ashley because of her song update... or are there actual fans of her...
Fan of her since Touched. I do like her Micro Games a lot on Smooth Moves. My favorite is when you shake the potion, lol.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
How long has that site had Ashley up? Heck, how long has the site been predicting in the first place?

Sakurai probably had all of the characters decided a few years ago... It takes a while to program a character. I'm still wondering why in the world people ever thought the delay meant more characters. -_-

Dragonblood21

Smash Journeyman
Do people only care about Ashley because of her song update... or are there actual fans of her...
This question just completely boggles my mind.

Are you asking that we only care about her song, so regardless of how she is as a character we want her in because we like her song? If that's the question, then the answer for me and nearly everyone here is no. I could care honestly care less about her song.

The statement "We support her because her song is in the game" is just an uninformed assumption from those who are not supportive of Ashley or even morally considerate to those who do support her.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Just about eveyone that support's know's what the character they are supporting. Just remember, Ashley is not a random character out of the blue, she been around in Warioware for a while.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Just about eveyone that support's know's what the character they are supporting. Just remember, Ashley is not a random character out of the blue, she been around in Warioware for a while.
Right for some statments. Not all the characters have to have main roles in the game, as long as they serve it great when it comes into combat, they may have caught Sakurai eyes of being unique. Other than that, I can't really say much.

The Great Tama

Smash Journeyman
Sure if you think a witch would not make a capable and interesting fighter. =o/
Just why Ashley? If you all made a support thread for Gruntilda (I know she has no chance), it would be more believeable, but Ashley C'MON!

lots of characters would make interesting fighters, but that doesn't mean that they will be in. Theres more to think about like popularity, gaming sucess, and importance in series.

exactly.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
Here are my pros and cons for Ashley:

~pros
+Would be a unique character
+ Has magic and is a female
+ recgnzed by many ww fans.

~cons
-Would have to potentially come up with an original moveset
- has the same significance as other ww characters
-not a large fanbase

Also most people who support Ashley is because of her song update. Also I have not seen a large fabase or large groups of supporters. Finally, WW is smaller than most series, so have 2 ww reps is unlikely.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
lots of characters would make interesting fighters, but that doesn't mean that they will be in. Theres more to think about like popularity, gaming sucess, and importance in series.
I'm just replying to Tama who said Ashley has "NOTHING" going for her. Her being a witch is just one plus, she is from a fairly popular series and is loved by many Wario Ware fans.

The Great Tama

Smash Journeyman
I'm just replying to Tama who said Ashley has "NOTHING" going for her. Her being a witch is just one plus, she is from a fairly popular series and is loved by many Wario Ware fans.
This thread wouldn't have as many hits, or fans, if it weren't for that music update. All that update did was raise some hype and hope for her. Music updates don't really mean anything anymore since Sakurai said,
straight from the man himself said:
"the songs in Smash Bros. aren’t limited only to those series represented by characters and stages. We’ve pulled some that are from completely unrelated games."

lceman

Smash Cadet
Why on earth would their opinion be better than ours just because their Japanese? Unless their working on the game their opinion is just as good as ours.
Because the opinions of the Japanese matter more to Sakurai than the opinion of people in the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom