• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alternate Costumes Thread (Everyone has 8 Colors + New Info from Japanese Event!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Link should definitely have at least a Skyward Sword costume (probably the default), a TP outfit, and an OOT outfit. Of course, it would be cool to have a more classic style, but it's a bit farther off from where Link is today.

Link should definitely have at least a Skyward Sword costume (probably the default), a TP outfit, and an OOT outfit. Of course, it would be cool to have a more classic style, but it's a bit farther off from where Link is today.
Main: Skyward Sword Tunic
Alt: Skyloft Clothes

Anything else is extra (OoT 3D, etc)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Naw man, at least keep the OoT one. It's too iconic.

More importantly, whatever the outfit, FIX THAT FACE!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I was talking about his face in Skyward Sword. His face in the original OoT was alright.

You see, Skyward Sword came after OoT3D.
Yea, thinking back he had a weird face, if he didn't have the same hairstyle or the green garb, he would be unrecognizable.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Possible costumes
I think alternate costume rewards system would be a perfect way to reward player for their single player experience. It's much better than cutscenes.
List of costumes:
Mewtwo = Generation 1 form
Marth = SNES look
Link = SS Link
Mario = Dr. Mario
Toon Link = Outset Island Look
Mega Man = Complete Proto Man look
Villager = Female Villager
Ike = RD or PoR look (whichever isn't used in the game)
Lucas = Masked Man
Pokemon Trainer Red = Female Trainer Green of Leaf
Zelda = OOT Zelda and Sheik
Snake = Old Snake
Sonic = Shadow
Metroid = Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion outfit
Wii Fit Trainer: Wearing a track suit
Pit = classic look
meta knight = galacta knight
Kirby = even more colors!
Pokemon Trainer = female trainer
captain falcon = blood falcon
pit = dark pit
fox = classic fox with metal legs
falco = classic falco with metal legs
ganondorf = oot ganondorf

some of these costume will even change the character name and some of the voices.

MylesMad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MylesMad
3DS FC
4141-2408-3059
As far as alternate costumes go, I'd prefer them not be ones that make them look like another character. I just find that to be lazy and uninspired, and just makes me want to play as the represented character with their own moveset. I'd rather alternate costumes just to be different versions or forms of a fighter at the most. :ohwell:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Added the newcomers to the list. Wii Fit Trainer is gonna be a tough one.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
As far as alternate costumes go, I'd prefer them not be ones that make them look like another character. I just find that to be lazy and uninspired, and just makes me want to play as the represented character with their own moveset. I'd rather alternate costumes just to be different versions or forms of a fighter at the most. :ohwell:
Then don't use them. How does having them in the game hurt you?

MylesMad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MylesMad
3DS FC
4141-2408-3059
Then don't use them. How does having them in the game hurt you?

:glare: Okay, I understand what you're trying to say, but there is nothing more that I hate then when someone's reply to your dislike for a (possible?) new feature is "Just don't use it." Not everybody is going to like everything about the game (duh) but their only option shouldn't just be to not use that content they are not too keen on, rather than be provided an alternative. Yes, obviously it wouldn't "hurt" me (lol another overused statement) to have alternate costumes to make a character look like another, but I do honestly feel it's just lazy on the developers part and wouldn't add very much to the game.

Just to be clear, I think costumes that make characters look like variations of themselves are fine, and would love to see them added. On the other hand, I think making them look like a different character entirely is lame.

For example, an alt costume of Peach in her Mario Tennis garb would be a variation, and an alt costume that re-colours her to look like Rosalina (from Mario Galaxy) would just be making her look like a different character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can see where you're coming from Myles, I was one of the people raging over Zero's X costume in UMVC3, but I feel the other characters as costumes can work if the characters didn't have any chance of being playable in the first place like Peach's Daisy costume in Melee.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If the options are an alternate costume of the character or that character not getting in at all, how could anyone possibly favor the latter?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Guys, have we forgotten?

THIEF WARIO (WARIO)
BAD BOX ART MEGA MAN (MEGA MAN)
ROLL (MEGA MAN)
MASKED DEDEDE (KING DEDEDE)
REFEREE MARIO (MARIO) (from Punch-Out!!)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guys, have we forgotten?

THIEF WARIO (WARIO)
BAD BOX ART MEGA MAN (MEGA MAN)
ROLL (MEGA MAN)
MASKED DEDEDE (KING DEDEDE)
REFEREE MARIO (MARIO) (from Punch-Out!!)

Didn't forget.

All of those are on the list except referee Mario which I will add.

MylesMad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MylesMad
3DS FC
4141-2408-3059
I can see where you're coming from Myles, I was one of the people raging over Zero's X costume in UMVC3, but I feel the other characters as costumes can work if the characters didn't have any chance of being playable in the first place like Peach's Daisy costume in Melee.

If the options are an alternate costume of the character or that character not getting in at all, how could anyone possibly favor the latter?

Well, when you put it that way, (that it offers a chance to play as a character who had no chance otherwise) it sounds a lot better. :lol:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
If we assume that all the characters from the previous games return (unlikely I know but work with me here) what characters would have what what costumes/forms? Post what you think they should have and I'll add them to the list.

Remember this is a list of POTENTIAL alt costumes so my own preferences don't come into this and I am running on the assumption that at least some alt costumes will be other characters like Daisy was to Peach in Melee and Brawl. Click the orange text to see an image of them.

Mario: Dr Mario, Hawaiian shirt/sunglasses, Mario Strikers Armour, Tanooki Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bro Suit, Bee Suit
Dr Mario: Surgeon Scrubs
Luigi: Mr. L, Mario & Luigi gettup (Black letter on cap, visible socks), Mario Strikers Armour, Tanooki/Kitsune Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bro Suit, Bee Suit
Bowser: Dry Bowser, Mecha Bowser, Mario Strikers Armour, Dark Bowser
Peach: Daisy, Rosalina, Sports Outfit, Mario Strikers Armour, Nurse Peach
Wario: Classic overalls, various Warioware gettups, Master of Diguise
Donkey Kong: Funky Kong, Mario Strikers Armour
Diddy Kong: Dixie Kong, Cap backwards w/ Sunglasses, Mario Strikers Armour
Yoshi: Paper Mario TTYD Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Strikers Armour
Link: Classic Link, Zora Armour, Skyward Sword Casuals, Fierce Diety Link, Magic Armour, Twilight Princess Casuals, Hero's Shade
Zelda: Classic Zelda, Oot Dress, Skyward Sword Dress, LttP Dress
Sheik: Impa (SS or OoT)
Ganondorf: Wind Waker robes, Demise, Classic Ganon
Young/Toon Link: Casual Clothes, Train Driver Uniform, Young Link, Classic Link, Bunny Link (Link to the Past)
Pikachu: Raichu, Female Pikachu (Dent in tail), Mystery Dungeon Gear.
Jigglypuff: Igglybuff, Wigglytuff
Pichu: Plusle, Minum, Spikey Eared, Pachirisu
Mewtwo: Mega Forme, Armoured (first movie), Lucario
Pokemon Trainer: Other Pokemon trainers, Team Rocket
-Squirtle: Wartortle, Turtwig, Torkoal
-Ivysaur: ... Err... Bulbasaur?, Grotle maybe?
-Charizard: Ridley :troll:, Dragonite
Lucario: Zoroark, Mewtwo, Mystery Dungeo gettup, Mega Lucario
Fox: Adventures outfit, Assault Outfit, James McCloud
Falco: Assault Outfit, Melee Mohawk
Wolf: Classic outfit, Cyborg Wolf (From SF64 real ending)
Samus: Phazon Suit, Dark Samus, Fusion Suit, Power Suit (the one without the shoulders), Light Suit
Zero Suit Samus: Justin Bailey w/Green Hair, Casual clothes (Other M), Super Metroid casual
Kirby: Yarn Kirby, Gooey, Prince Fluff
Meta Knight: Dark Meta Knight, Galacta Knight, Maskless, Sword/Blade Knight
Dedede: Masked Dedede, possessed Dedede
Ness: Ninten, Pajamas, NAKED (Japan only)
Lucas: Claus (with the hair model changed), Masked Man
Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon, Black Shadow, Original SNES design
Marth: Masked Marth/FE Awakening Redesign, Original Artwork
Roy: Eliwood, FE Awakening redesign
Ike: Older Ike, FE Awakening redesign, Class Changed Ike
Ice Climbers: Original Box Art, Hammer Bro Cosplay
Mr. Game and Watch: Ms. Game and Watch?, Paper Mario?
Pit: Three sacred treasures, Dark Pit
Olimar: Louie, President, Pikmin Olimar (From Bad Ending), Alph, Brittany, Charlie
ROB: ROB 64's head, Virtual Boy head, Ancient Minister (With arms free)
Snake: Naked Snake, MGS2 Raiden, Old Snake, Formal Suit, Shirtless
Sonic: Classic Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Sonic Rider's Gear, Metal Sonic

Villager: Female Villager, Tom Nook, Mii Mask
Wii Fit Trainer: Male Trainer, Freakishly Tall Mii
Mega Man: Proto Man, Mega Man X, Zero, Roll (Hey, worked for MVC1), Bass, Megaman.exe

[COLLAPSE="Potential Future Character Costumes"]
Ridley: Meta Ridley, Charizard (Reverse trollage)
Geno: Black Mage
Bowser Jr.: Shadow Mario
Krystal (Assuming default is Assult gettup): Adventures Outfit, Command Flight Gear.
King K. Rool: Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstien, Mario Sluggers Pharoh outfit.
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man, Retro Pac-Man
Palutena: Medusa, Butterface Fake Palutena
Good but No Shadow

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
If we assume that all the characters from the previous games return (unlikely I know but work with me here) what characters would have what what costumes/forms? Post what you think they should have and I'll add them to the list.

Remember this is a list of POTENTIAL alt costumes so my own preferences don't come into this and I am running on the assumption that at least some alt costumes will be other characters like Daisy was to Peach in Melee and Brawl. Click the orange text to see an image of them.

Mario: Dr Mario, Hawaiian shirt/sunglasses, Mario Strikers Armour, Tanooki Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bro Suit, Bee Suit
Dr Mario: Surgeon Scrubs
Luigi: Mr. L, Mario & Luigi gettup (Black letter on cap, visible socks), Mario Strikers Armour, Tanooki/Kitsune Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bro Suit, Bee Suit
Bowser: Dry Bowser, Mecha Bowser, Mario Strikers Armour, Dark Bowser
Peach: Daisy, Rosalina, Sports Outfit, Mario Strikers Armour, Nurse Peach
Wario: Classic overalls, various Warioware gettups, Master of Diguise
Donkey Kong: Funky Kong, Mario Strikers Armour
Diddy Kong: Dixie Kong, Cap backwards w/ Sunglasses, Mario Strikers Armour
Yoshi: Paper Mario TTYD Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Strikers Armour
Link: Classic Link, Zora Armour, Skyward Sword Casuals, Fierce Diety Link, Magic Armour, Twilight Princess Casuals, Hero's Shade
Zelda: Classic Zelda, Oot Dress, Skyward Sword Dress, LttP Dress
Sheik: Impa (SS or OoT)
Ganondorf: Wind Waker robes, Demise, Classic Ganon
Young/Toon Link: Casual Clothes, Train Driver Uniform, Young Link, Classic Link, Bunny Link (Link to the Past)
Pikachu: Raichu, Female Pikachu (Dent in tail), Mystery Dungeon Gear.
Jigglypuff: Igglybuff, Wigglytuff
Pichu: Plusle, Minum, Spikey Eared, Pachirisu
Mewtwo: Mega Forme, Armoured (first movie), Lucario
Pokemon Trainer: Other Pokemon trainers, Team Rocket
-Squirtle: Wartortle, Turtwig, Torkoal
-Ivysaur: ... Err... Bulbasaur?, Grotle maybe?
-Charizard: Ridley :troll:, Dragonite
Lucario: Zoroark, Mewtwo, Mystery Dungeo gettup, Mega Lucario
Fox: Adventures outfit, Assault Outfit, James McCloud
Falco: Assault Outfit, Melee Mohawk
Wolf: Classic outfit, Cyborg Wolf (From SF64 real ending)
Samus: Phazon Suit, Dark Samus, Fusion Suit, Power Suit (the one without the shoulders), Light Suit
Zero Suit Samus: Justin Bailey w/Green Hair, Casual clothes (Other M), Super Metroid casual
Kirby: Yarn Kirby, Gooey, Prince Fluff
Meta Knight: Dark Meta Knight, Galacta Knight, Maskless, Sword/Blade Knight
Dedede: Masked Dedede, possessed Dedede
Ness: Ninten, Pajamas, NAKED (Japan only)
Lucas: Claus (with the hair model changed), Masked Man
Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon, Black Shadow, Original SNES design
Marth: Masked Marth/FE Awakening Redesign, Original Artwork
Roy: Eliwood, FE Awakening redesign
Ike: Older Ike, FE Awakening redesign, Class Changed Ike
Ice Climbers: Original Box Art, Hammer Bro Cosplay
Mr. Game and Watch: Ms. Game and Watch?, Paper Mario?
Pit: Three sacred treasures, Dark Pit
Olimar: Louie, President, Pikmin Olimar (From Bad Ending), Alph, Brittany, Charlie
ROB: ROB 64's head, Virtual Boy head, Ancient Minister (With arms free)
Snake: Naked Snake, MGS2 Raiden, Old Snake, Formal Suit, Shirtless
Sonic: Classic Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Sonic Rider's Gear, Metal Sonic

Villager: Female Villager, Tom Nook, Mii Mask
Wii Fit Trainer: Male Trainer, Freakishly Tall Mii
Mega Man: Proto Man, Mega Man X, Zero, Roll (Hey, worked for MVC1), Bass, Megaman.exe

[COLLAPSE="Potential Future Character Costumes"]
Ridley: Meta Ridley, Charizard (Reverse trollage)
Geno: Black Mage
Bowser Jr.: Shadow Mario
Krystal (Assuming default is Assult gettup): Adventures Outfit, Command Flight Gear.
King K. Rool: Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstien, Mario Sluggers Pharoh outfit.
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man, Retro Pac-Man
Palutena: Medusa, Butterface Fake Palutena
Good but No Shadow Alt Costume for Sonic

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Updated the list to include new costumes.

Who'da thunk both Charizard and Mewto had 2 Mega evolutions?

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
Updated the list to include new costumes.

Who'da thunk both Charizard and Mewto had 2 Mega evolutions?
This idea about alt costumize for some character is great, the problem is that this character must have the same height and moves, for example Raichu and Wigglytuf, an optional costumize for Yoshi could be Birdo; Dry Bowser and Masked Dedede are awesome

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Check the Dojo people, this is a thing now.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
More like it is probably a thing. Given this is Sakurai posting this stuff and his non-descript comment, it is technically possible we are looking at something else than we believe to look at.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I feel like it is probably a true alternate costume. That being said, I'm not sure it actually means a whole lot more than, say, Wario having two outfits.

Probably great news for people who want two genders for the Villager, though. At this point, it'd be pretty strange if they brought in the male Wii Fitness Trainer but not the female Villager.

Though, it is somewhat promising to see an alternate costume that would require a little more work than Wario's-- in the very least, this guy will need a new voice set. So, maybe there is some hope for more involved alts?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Alternate gender costumes would suit Pokemon Trainer, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager very well.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think in terms of alternate costumes (if that is the case), this opens the door for alternate costumes that make sense. Villager, Pokemon Trainer, will be aided by this. We could even see the genderization of certain pokemon via alternate costumes if they really wanted to do, as they have made the big distinction between a male and female pikachu for example.

It's very important to note that the Male and Female WFT have the exact same body position in this picture, which lends credence to this being an alternate costume.

If they were to do this with WFT and somehow not do this for the Villager or Pokemon Trainer, I would be really annoyed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think in terms of alternate costumes (if that is the case), this opens the door for alternate costumes that make sense. Villager, Pokemon Trainer, will be aided by this. We could even see the genderization of certain pokemon via alternate costumes if they really wanted to do, as they have made the big distinction between a male and female pikachu for example.

It's very important to note that the Male and Female WFT have the exact same body position in this picture, which lends credence to this being an alternate costume.

If they were to do this with WFT and somehow not do this for the Villager or Pokemon Trainer, I would be really annoyed.
There's always the risk that the male Wii Fit Trainer is a separate character though. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf had similar animations in Melee, but they were both separate entities.

I guess all we can hope for is that the alternate outfits are a reality.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think all the characters are gonna have alt costumes, only a few will.

Villager is getting one for sure, and Wario will if he comes back. (he is)

There's always the risk that the male Wii Fit Trainer is a separate character though. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf had similar animations in Melee, but they were both separate entities.
Good point, but we'd have his profile revealed on the site if that were the case, right?

Dr. Flinn

Smash Cadet
Male Wii Fit Trainer would appear as a character on the front page. But he isn't.

ALT COSTUMES PEOPLES.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Sakurai's trolling really made you paranoid... :troll:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

not really. I doubt a character would be revealed with none of the traditional reveal stuff, such as a reveal banner or the challenger approaching. Not to mention, what exactly be his name? The e3 reveal WFT isnt named Female Wii Fit Trainer, it's just Wii Fit Trainer.

I think alternate outfits have been a reality since Brawl, with Wario. Now every character having them? Probably not, but if so we wouldnt know until the game releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom